Green Bay, WI - HDTV - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1538 Old 09-19-2004, 05:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am glad to hear others are also not going to patron the WLUK's advertisers. My wife laughs at me about the WLUK ban in the house until Emmis backs down from their stance. At least I am going to the game today so I don't have to break my own rule! Is next week's Indy game on CBS? I hope so!
D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1538 Old 09-19-2004, 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by dlep
I am glad to hear others are also not going to patron the WLUK's advertisers... Is next week's Indy game on CBS? I hope so!
D

Unfortunately, Fox broadcasts games when the NFC visits the AFC, so that game will be on WLUK.

I will still watch the games, but where a majority of their local advertising takes place (syndicated programs, local news), I will be watching something else.

I made the choice not to mount anything on my house, so I will live with what TWC delivers.

Have fun at the game.
post #93 of 1538 Old 09-19-2004, 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by gbtide
Thanks. I am going to try an indoor antenna, as anything else will require quite a bit of work. I have little desire to mount anything to my house, including a satellite (a big reason I have TWC).

Why are you using TWC in the first place? Cable companies picture is not as good as satellite. I live in Madison now and have Charter for cable here (though I use voom but going back to D*) but lived in Appleton for a long time when growing up and hated TWC (except for internet) I have a roof mounted antenna from voom for free and they installed and I get all the channels in beautiful HD, with the exception of Fox which is dragging their feet on conversion. If you have an HD TV you really should look at a dish...either D* or Voom. IMO
post #94 of 1538 Old 09-20-2004, 03:50 AM

TWC now has just about everything I would need right now except for the local Fox channel. I get ABC-HD, CBS-HD, NBC-HD, ESPN-HD, HDNet, HDNet Movies, INHD, INHD2, TNT-HD, DIscovery HD, and some FOX SPORTS NORTH Brewer games in HD. As of now INHD and INHD2 are not offered on any satellite system. I really like those channels. Voom looks nice but who knows how long they are going to be viable.
post #95 of 1538 Old 09-20-2004, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I watched the Packers in HD yesterday thats what your missing with TWC. North Shore and the OC Yummy. HD black out In Green Bay who would have thonk? Also missing WB and UPN. The InHD programing at an extra charge from TW.

HDTV is clear get the picture
post #96 of 1538 Old 09-20-2004, 03:03 PM

Not missing much with upn and wb. UPN programs generally bite (hides from enterprise fans) and the wb isn't hd. Really annoying to me too because they pull that fs for non-hd broadcasts crap and that drives me nuts.
post #97 of 1538 Old 09-20-2004, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

What range of signal strength are people receiving with FOX using an outdoor antenna? Anyone in the Wausau or Stevens Point area getting a signal?

I used to be able to get channel 2 from Green Bay while living in my old house in Wis Rapids on good reception nights. I think antennaweb.org has it listed as 92 miles, its a long shot but the Packers in HD doesn't get any better.
post #98 of 1538 Old 09-21-2004, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Anyone else use TWC and only Get 2.0 DD on Monday night football?

"Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps? "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #99 of 1538 Old 09-21-2004, 10:59 AM

cburbs,
I have sent a number of email messages to WBAY regarding the lack of DD 5.1 sound. They have yet to reply. I believe they are not passing the 5.1 through to the viewer. Too bad.
I view WBAY-hd stuff via TWC.
post #100 of 1538 Old 09-21-2004, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I thought last year when I had TWC HD package the Monday night games were in HD.
Dlep if you have any interest: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=448619

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #101 of 1538 Old 09-21-2004, 03:35 PM

cburbs,
Here is the reply I received from the engineer at WBAY:

That is a problem that is not easily rectified. We have a stereo only
plant. We will look to do this in the future as budget becomes
available.
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 8:29 AM
To: Williams, Art
Cc: Carmichael, Don; Jaeger, Melissa
Subject: FW: Dolby Digital 5.1 Sound?

By the way thanks for the link.
post #102 of 1538 Old 09-21-2004, 04:39 PM

It does not look good for receiving DD 5.1 sound anytime soon via WBAY. Here is another reply from the engineer at WBAY:

I know it will be at least several years before we can accomplish this.
The cost and complexity of converting to multiple channel audio is even
more daunting than the video conversion process because of the number of
channels involved. This decision will be made at the corporate level,
because we have twelve stations in our group. We may be able to pass
through some network 5.1 within the next several years but I can't even
hazard a guess as to the time it will happen.
post #103 of 1538 Old 09-22-2004, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Dlep,
Thanks for the heads up. maybe it was the playoff games last year that were in 5.1......maybe I am losing my mind again.

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #104 of 1538 Old 09-25-2004, 09:36 AM

I was wondering for those who live in Green Bay, where to buy a set top box for HDTV. Who has been successful with indoor antennas also? I'm a TWC customer, but I want FOX in HD and I think this will be a long time coming.

Thank you
post #105 of 1538 Old 09-28-2004, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Hi ashokrai
I think its almost impossable to get 100% coverage on on indoor antenna YLMV. Digital signals are harder to get then analog over the air. Either you lock a signal or end up with bouncing signal that cause drop outs. I am trying a GEMTV from Zeinth with mixed results and you guessed it Fox is the one I can't seem to lock. The Colts game last Sunday was unwatchable. GEMTV is advertised as helping with multipathing but at the present time I think my second antenna was better. As for set top boxes I am using Voom for locals so renting my set top box. If you look in the hardware forum section you could get an idea of what is available in set top boxes. I think I read that Walmart has an box that is selling for under $200.00 but don't quote me on that. Good luck with your hunt ashokrai.

post #106 of 1538 Old 09-28-2004, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone talked with FOX to see what their broadcast strength is right now? I wonder if they are just putting up a very weak signal.
post #107 of 1538 Old 09-29-2004, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

HI lovebohn
I called WLUK Monday after noon the engineer said they were taking the signal off the air. Its not been back on as of late Tuesday night. As I posted earlier the game Sunday was unwatchable so I would assume they had complaints and started to work on it Monday. Digital broadcast are new to them and I am sure they are facing a learning curve. I bought my new antenna on Monday and I called them. The jury is still out on the Zeniths GEMTV I am trying, I also had breakups on TV 32 so I had a hard time understanding were my issue's the new antenna or station related. Anyone having any luck picking up Fox or is it just me?

post #108 of 1538 Old 09-29-2004, 05:40 AM

I"ve not had too bad of luck with Fox, though ever since they went to HD I've gone from 80+% signal to 40% though for the most part it's stable. And UPN I went from having nothing to having 100% stable when they went to HD.

Any word on WIWB going HD?
post #109 of 1538 Old 09-29-2004, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I guess the reason i asked was to see if i have a chance in hell of pulling in FOX from almost 90 miles. I have good luck with getting Eau Claire at 63 miles but they are running a very strong signal.
post #110 of 1538 Old 09-29-2004, 08:14 AM

If these reception problems exist now, it does not bode well for their stated goal of having a digital OTA system in which people will pay for OTA reception.
post #111 of 1538 Old 09-29-2004, 06:29 PM

I was at TWC today to return a couple of cable boxes from our old house. I asked how the negotiations with WLUK were going. I was told that they are getting better. WLUK still wants money, so I was told to expect WLUK to be in their upgraded HDTV tier, not the standard tier. Hopefully this is true (especially for me because I use TWC).
post #112 of 1538 Old 09-30-2004, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

So do all the Local HD channels only come DD 2.0? Seems to be that way. Oh well I can apply PLIIx over the top and it does a decent job.

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #113 of 1538 Old 09-30-2004, 10:13 AM

All but WBAY and WIWB are dd5.1.
post #114 of 1538 Old 10-01-2004, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

I bought my new antenna on Monday and I called them. The jury is still out on the Zeniths GEMTV I am trying, I also had breakups on TV 32 so I had a hard time understanding were my issue's the new antenna or station related. Anyone having any luck picking up Fox or is it just me?

post #115 of 1538 Old 10-01-2004, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

GEMTV! Zenith update
I bought my new antenna on Monday the Zeniths GEMTV was no better then the antenna I was using. I returned it. I no longer have any signal from WLUK Anyone having any luck picking up Fox today or is it just me? This sucks I get a good lock on every station but WLUK FOX. As for TWC not buckling to WLUK I wish them luck. Notice that the HD tier went up $2.00 a month to add ESPN HD. This doesn't look good as the other stations will try and follow suit. I can see the HD tier pricing going up as I write this. The Packers digital broadcast is the bait. I am sure Fox will drop all the commercials when they enter the HD tier. Seeing I have to pay to see their programing. Maybe I should start writing the FCC and see if WLUK is purposely jacking their signal to get the extortion plan completed. Boycott Fox WLUK

post #116 of 1538 Old 10-01-2004, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Yesterday (Thursday) night fox wasn't coming in for me. I just checked now and it's back. Hopefully just a temporary problem.
post #117 of 1538 Old 10-03-2004, 03:32 AM

I subscribe to TWC and I was wondering if anyone had macro blocking issues on ESPN-HD during the Tenn.-Auburn game last night? It was difficult to watch. I then checked the digital channel lineup and a number of channels were exhibiting the problem. Just checking if anyone else had the problem. If not, then TWC needs to boost the signal coming into my house.
Thanks!
post #118 of 1538 Old 10-03-2004, 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dlep
I subscribe to TWC and I was wondering if anyone have macro blocking issues on ESPN-HD during the Tenn.-Auburn game last night?

No problems here. Looked good, and was recording HBOHD at the same time.

Supposedly TWC will be updating 8000HD software Monday. They are several releases behind the rest of the country. When I asked about this, they said they just received the update and will be testing. I hope this will fix some of the PQ and audio issues in addition to allowing first run recording and space remaining features.

Still no word on WLUK, they seem to think they are getting closer, but I doubt it will be soon.
post #119 of 1538 Old 10-04-2004, 03:16 PM

Ok, so this reception problem of mine has made it's yearly rubbing on me where I am determined to proceed along a futile attempt to remedy it. Ok, so right now I have a 4bay channel master outdoor antenna propped up indoors (landlord is an ass, won't let me put it outside). The problem is two fold. The first is that I don't get stable signals, all it takes is a small wind outside and everything is gone. I'd gather this is from the shrubs and trees outside. The second problem is that cbs I just don't get barely any signal. Frankly I find that kind of odd since there are other stations on that tower that I pick up, but anyway it is what it is. So my question to you folks, any suggestions on a different antenna I could try or ways to help fix this problem? I've already tried an amp, which helps for most of the cases and one of those preamp/amp deals from radio shack is overkill and causes reception issues because of a too strong of a signal, or so I've read. Really up to any suggestions at this point.
post #120 of 1538 Old 10-04-2004, 03:35 PM

WHat's the status of WLUK on TWC? I don't have HD equipment yet, but am thinking of taking the plunge shortly. On TitanTV it show Fox as ch 704, with a some HD content. Did they reach a deal?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page