Syracuse / Utica, NY - HDTV - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 3984 Old 12-22-2005, 06:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
FOX in Syracuse (19/68) does have some of the evening schedule in widescreen HD, at least for the over-the-air transmission. But that may be hard to get in Canastota?

Dave
Manlius
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 3984 Old 12-23-2005, 06:21 AM

Liked: 12
That's good to hear that FOX is making some inroads in OTA HD in the area. However, I am not set up for OTA reception. I may have to do it if TW can't make a deal with FOX soon.
post #363 of 3984 Old 12-23-2005, 11:20 AM

It's easy to set up OTA stuff. Simple antenna, but you need a digital tuner.

When the weather gets better I might be able to help you set it up if you like.

Dave

Manlius
post #364 of 3984 Old 12-24-2005, 07:43 AM

I have done some research on setting up OTA. The antenna web is a great resource, and it looks like I have a lot of good signals available in my area...from Syracuse and Utica. Of course in order to pick up Utica I'd have to either get a second antenna or install a rotator. I appreciate your offer Dave, and I may very well take you up on it the day that I convince my wife that this is something we need : ) I would also love to get an HD tuner for my HTPC and record the OTA HD programs.
Marty
post #365 of 3984 Old 12-24-2005, 09:03 AM

Hi Marty -

Although I have like 50 years experience at setting up antennas and rotators, etc, my knowledge of digital is just starting. I've had some surprises in setting up this OTA. I have a simple yagi on a pole on my deck, with a rotator and RG6 coax line to the tuner. I did try a very good preamp near the yagi and found that it was counterproductive to try to gain up the signal.

Let me know - I'd love to compare reception somewhere with mine here! Nobody I know locally has a setup quite like mine, especially OTA. All my friends and family here have digital off of cable only.

Regards,

Dave
post #366 of 3984 Old 12-24-2005, 10:11 AM

Anyone trying to watch the Giants game OTA? Any reason I'm not getting HD?
post #367 of 3984 Old 12-24-2005, 10:59 AM

I just took a look at the Giants-Redskin game on FOX 19/68 OTA.

Lovely widescreen HD picture. Unfortunately, it's sort of lost on me - since I'm not really into football. Life IS ironic. ;-)

Dave

Manlius
post #368 of 3984 Old 12-25-2005, 12:12 PM

Hi Channel 25/24

Love all your HD on Christmas on 24-4.

But I have to go to WETA for a schedule?

Dave
post #369 of 3984 Old 01-02-2006, 03:17 PM

In Syracuse, has anyone noticed the 12 new channels Time Warner has added recently? They start at channel 901 and go up to 912 and are all prefixed with "SC" and are stations such as TNT, TBS, VH1, etc... when I try to view one of them I get a "Not Authorized" message. Anyone know what these are, what SC stands for, whether they are high def or not, and how much it costs to add them? Thanks.
post #370 of 3984 Old 01-03-2006, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayor. View Post

In Syracuse, has anyone noticed the 12 new channels Time Warner has added recently? They start at channel 901 and go up to 912 and are all prefixed with "SC" and are stations such as TNT, TBS, VH1, etc... when I try to view one of them I get a "Not Authorized" message. Anyone know what these are, what SC stands for, whether they are high def or not, and how much it costs to add them? Thanks.

I'll take a look tonight....but I'm still bummed we can't get Fox in HD on TWC yet!
post #371 of 3984 Old 01-08-2006, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayor. View Post

I saw that when I visited my parents.

I'm guessing SC = "Spanish Channel" or something.
post #372 of 3984 Old 01-09-2006, 12:06 PM

Any help on this would be appreciated. Was setting up an OTA channel master 4221 (UHF) yesterday to bring in the local HD broadcasts. I live in Warners, NY. The towers are 17 miles from me and sitting at 142 degrees from magnetic North (except FOX). I wanted to install this in my attic originally, so before going through all the work up there, let's see if I can pull in anything right below the attic. I hooked the antenna up to my Philips TV with built in HDTV tuner and all I could get was a very weak ABC (lots of ghosting) PBS was OK, NBC - all I got as sound and colored snow (analog). I've been told that you either get a HDTV signal or nothing. I was setting this up during the playoff games that were being broadcast in HD and got nothing but black screens on the ABC and NBC HD channels.

So I unravelled 90 feet of coax, took the antenna outside and scaled to the top of my shed. I held the antenna there while I talked to the wife on the radio. Picture quality was still the same but I pulled in FOX (very very weak) as I panned the antenna. I still could not pick up channel 9.1 or the NBC HD broadcast as well.

Antennaweb says this antenna should work for me, as did other local companies I talked to. I don't care about VHF frequencies as I have Dishnetwork for this. Now a couple of worth while notes about my location.

I live against a high hill. My log home is cut into the hill about half way up. The hill is between the towers and my home. Trees cover this hill. Nothing is behind me for 1 mile and then another hill with heavy tree cover the opposite side. I'm wondering if the signal is being distorted because of the hill?? I didn't have enough cable to get to the top of the hill and rule this out. Not sure where to go from here, anyone have any experience with this type of setup. Not sure a tower is going to work as it would need to be 75+ feet to clear the top of the hill and I don't want that type of monster in the yard.
post #373 of 3984 Old 01-09-2006, 06:57 PM

In the nice weather I'd love to see what you're up against, and maybe help to a solution. Meanwhile...

Do you own the top of the hill? How far would RG6, etc have to go from the top of the hill to your home? Don't rule out bringing it in that way. Possibly using a preamp with the antenna. Rotator at the top of hill location may also be a plus.

Another possibility: what are your views towards Rochester and Watertown from your home? Maybe a good shot can be had in one of those directions.

Possibly from across Lake Ontario from Canada, if you have a good shot in that direction?

Interesting problem.

Dave
Manlius
post #374 of 3984 Old 01-10-2006, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Consider a preamp.
post #375 of 3984 Old 01-19-2006, 02:22 PM

Hello, this is a great forum.
I'm from Auburn, technically Owasco. I just bought a Samsung 27" HDTV (TX-R2779H) from Circuit City and ordered a new DirecTV HDTV receiver which also comes with an OTA antenna.
The TV comes Friday and DirecTV on Monday.
I am anxious to see how it works out. I am curious to see how I get the Syracuse HD channels.
I live on the east side of Owasco Lake. So to the west, it's a clear view. To the east, we live at the bottom of a huge hill. The antenna will probably be placed on the top of the roof of our multi-story house.
I wonder if I will get Rochester better than Syracuse?
I have no clue what antenna will be installed although there is a picture of one at the DirecTV web site.
Any opinions?
Thanks and it's nice to be here. Looks like a good bunch of folks.
post #376 of 3984 Old 01-19-2006, 06:37 PM

Hi Patchs -

I'm guessing your OTA will be primarily Rochester. But, if you have anything like a clear view to the North, try for Canadian digital channels.

My limited digital experience suggests that you won't get Syracuse. But I easily might be wrong.

Don't rule out a rotator - it makes searching so much easier.

Let us know how you make out,

Dave
Manlius, atop Limestone Gorge,
the edge of forever.
post #377 of 3984 Old 01-19-2006, 08:05 PM

Dave,
Thanks, I'm hoping because some of the towers are south of Syracuse (in Otisco, I think) and I live basically west of that, I might luck out. It's about 20 miles from here to there.
Thank heavens for DirecTV, I have a great line of sight of the southern sky and have been getting great DirecTV reception for years. The upgrade will be cool.
I'm already looking forward to the SU-Pitt game on ESPN HD on DirecTV on Monday, even though I'm working, my wife, an SU grad, can watch.
post #378 of 3984 Old 01-19-2006, 10:05 PM

Hi guys, how are ya? I just wanted to throw some ideas at you guys and get some feedback, so here goes.

My current setup is 1 DirecTV DVR R15 and 1 DirecTV HD Receiver R10 in the living room, 1 Hughes HDVR2 in Bedroom #1, and 1 DirecTV DVR R15 in Bedrooms #2, and #3. I currently subscribe to every channel they offer and get Syracuse locals using a second satellite dish to the 72.5 (or whatever it is) satellite. My problems are #1: I don't get any locals in hi definition and I was denied for waivers for all the national feeds, and they have no intention of offering them over satellite anytime soon. #2: I don't get a whole lot of channels for my $10.99/month. I mostly stay subscribed to it so I can show other people what my TV is supposed to look like, and I watch DiscoveryHD from time to time.

What are my options here? Do I need a big antenna setup? I was thinking of getting a 9521A Remote Control Rotator and a 4228A 8-BAY EXTENDED RANGE HDTV-COMPATIBLE UHF ANTENNA since the furthest channels, according to antenna web, are about 30 miles away. It looks like this would only get me NBC and ABC, and FOX when it is available (is it available yet) and another channel labeled "i". What is that?

Can I just get HD locals from Time Warner? I currently have RoadRunner so I have a connection but that is the only service I get from them.

Any other ideas? I watch a great amount of TV and setup a lot of A/V equipment for others so I would love to hear some other alternatives if they are available.

Oh, I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing but I am about 3000 feet away from a cell phone tower. I am in a multiple story house on Route 5 so I can shoot over a good amount of stuff.

Thanks in advance for your input.
post #379 of 3984 Old 01-20-2006, 06:39 AM

Hi Patchs -

Yes, you might get 19/68 because of the geometry you describe. They are west of the other transmitters on Sentinel Heights south of Syracuse.

Hi Cmarris -

You may want to start with a small UHF yagi and see how that works. Line of sight is very important for digital. 30 miles should be ok if you have a decent shot at it.

FOX68 Syracuse is up and running on channel 19.

Dave
post #380 of 3984 Old 01-20-2006, 06:41 AM

Just to clarify -

19/68 is across the valley on another hill, considerably west of Sentinel Heights.

Dave
post #381 of 3984 Old 01-20-2006, 10:50 PM

Time-Warner cable channel 853 now carries the 24/7 PBS HD programming. Hooray!
post #382 of 3984 Old 01-26-2006, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgeousHD View Post

Hi Patchs -

Yes, you might get 19/68 because of the geometry you describe. They are west of the other transmitters on Sentinel Heights south of Syracuse.

Hi Cmarris -

You may want to start with a small UHF yagi and see how that works. Line of sight is very important for digital. 30 miles should be ok if you have a decent shot at it.

FOX68 Syracuse is up and running on channel 19.

Dave

Adelphia only carries 3 and 5 in HD, since TW is taking it over in April (from what I hear), they offer all 4 Syr. HD stations.
Looks like I'm going to wait.
Unless there's a TV antenna guru nearby who can come to my house and know what I need, I'm going to hold off on an antenna and go cable to add to my DTV.
post #383 of 3984 Old 01-28-2006, 11:52 AM

Hey everyone,
Is anyone else having trouble getting WSYR-DT OTA? I was just surfing around and noticed that I'm getting 0 signal for WSYR. All the other channels are coming in at the levels they were before, but I'm getting nothing for WSYR. Before I go crazy messing with my antenna, is anyone else experiencing the same thing?

- Mike
post #384 of 3984 Old 01-31-2006, 07:33 PM

Anyone see the new CBS bug? Talk about horrible, the station specific one is no longer transparent, and instead has a white comic-sans-esque font. In addition, it seems as if they dont give their broadcasts full bandwith, as the HD sports shown on CBS demonstrate a lot of blocking that isnt evident when the highlights are shown on ESPN-HD.

Also, did anyone see the ads in the newspaper for TW HD service, and the mention of channel 873, supposedly News Channel 7 or something like that. There doesnt appear to be any channel 873, so I was quite confused by that.
post #385 of 3984 Old 02-01-2006, 06:40 AM

A program guide for WCNY-HD, OTA channel 24.4 and TWC channel 853, can now be accessed on line. Go to wcny.org and click on the PBS logo.
post #386 of 3984 Old 02-01-2006, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Larry:
Thanks!

mnilan
post #387 of 3984 Old 02-01-2006, 07:47 AM

I'm in Utica and have Adelphia. Their HD offerings are pretty slim (CBS, ESPN, HBO). I just purchased another HDTV that happens to have a built in tuner and want to try to receive some OTA content. Can anyone give me a hint at what HD chanels are available OTA here?

Also, is there anything I should look for in an antenna? Can I use the old rabbit ears type one thats sitting in the closet from ages ago or do I need a special HD-antenna?
post #388 of 3984 Old 02-01-2006, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Crouton View Post

I'm in Utica and have Adelphia. Their HD offerings are pretty slim (CBS, ESPN, HBO). I just purchased another HDTV that happens to have a built in tuner and want to try to receive some OTA content. Can anyone give me a hint at what HD chanels are available OTA here?

Also, is there anything I should look for in an antenna? Can I use the old rabbit ears type one thats sitting in the closet from ages ago or do I need a special HD-antenna?

I live just south of Auburn and am in the same boat as you.
Of course, I live west of Syracuse and the east side of my yard is surrounded by huge trees and am at the bottom of a hill.
I'm pondering on trying antennas or calling Adelphia aka soon-to-be TW for the locals in HD.
Thank God for D*.
post #389 of 3984 Old 02-02-2006, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Crouton View Post

I do not do OTA yet as I have TW Cable. I have researched the Idea and was directed to antennaweb which is a great resource if you plan on going OTA.
Looking forward to Sunday night, with the Superbowl in HD then at 9:00 Velvet Revolver concert in HD!
post #390 of 3984 Old 02-02-2006, 05:45 AM

Thanks. Due to my location and distance I think my chances of picking up the HD stations out of Syracuse are slim. I picked up an indoor antenna to see what the local ABC had to offer last night. I was able to receive their signal without a problem but found out their digital broadcast isn't even in HD. I guess I'll be waiting until TW takes over my area to get more HD content. Does anyone have a rough estimation when that should happen?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page