Syracuse / Utica, NY - HDTV - Page 134 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #3991 of 4014 Old 04-27-2015, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimp View Post
Any recommendations for antenna installers? Thanks!
Looking for installers in the Syracuse area
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3992 of 4014 Old 07-08-2015, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
WSTQ-LP Off the Air?

RabbitEars is saying that WSTQ-LP has gone off the air completely. Although it still has a pending application to flash-cut to digital, methinks Sinclair has decided not to convert but rather to shut the LPTV down. If so, they should have filed a Silent STA. No big deal though, since WSTQ's (former) programming is now on WSTM-DT2 in HD.

http://www.rabbitears.info/market.ph...n=WSTQ#station

James Calvin Woods - Son of Verta Jane Holland
post #3993 of 4014 Old 10-26-2015, 01:11 PM

WKTV bringing CBS affiliation to Utica

Quote:
Utica, NY viewers are about to have their own CBS affiliate for the first time in more than 50 years. Heartland Media, owners of WKTV, CW11, and MeTV-Utica, will launch the local, Utica-based CBS Utica 2 from its Deerfield studios next month.

Now, the Utica market, which includes residents in Herkimer, Oneida, and Otsego counties, will be able to receive the latest news, weather, traffic, and school closing bulletins while they are watching the CBS network. They’ll also have direct access to news broadcasts from the Utica market’s #1 news operation, WKTV.

The last time that CBS had a Utica market presence was also on WKTV. WKTV carried programming from four networks when it signed on in 1949, but since the mid-1950’s, CBS wasn’t broadcast from Utica and was only available from stations outside the market.
http://www.wktv.com/news/business/WK..._to_Utica.html

But will CBS 2.2 be in HD OTA, or just for cable viewers?

post #3994 of 4014 Old 10-30-2015, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvcg66b3r View Post
WKTV bringing CBS affiliation to Utica

http://www.wktv.com/news/business/WK..._to_Utica.html

But will CBS 2.2 be in HD OTA, or just for cable viewers?
Good news for the Utica market! Thanks for the post.

HR44-200 (Genie) via HDMI to Vizio 47" M3D470KD LED, HR22-100 via HDMI to Sylvania 26" LCD, H23-600 via HDMI to Insignia 19" LCD, Sony Blu-ray BDP-S550, Sony STR-KS370, Directv Whole-Home DVR.
post #3995 of 4014 Old 12-14-2015, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is anybody else having a problem pulling in WFXV 33.1 in Utica over the air? All other local channels are coming in fine.
post #3996 of 4014 Old 12-15-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldrich1 View Post
Is anybody else having a problem pulling in WFXV 33.1 in Utica over the air? All other local channels are coming in fine.
Was out in the motorhome to run the generator a bit today, turned on the TV with the Winegard "batwing" antenna, 33.1 was fine. Just tried it in the house, showing 94 out of 100 on the signal strength level. So, seems ok here. Location is 4 miles east of the transmitter, relatively close.
post #3997 of 4014 Old 03-14-2016, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Looking for some antenna assistance here in Oriskany. I have a Antennas Direct ClearStream 2V mounted on the edge of my roof (about 20 ft high) pointed at the local towers. I am receiving WKTV channels, WUTR and FOX just fine as expected. Unfortunately, depending on the weather it would seem my reception drastically changes. Over the weekend I had about 27 stations coming in, including Albany channels (45.1, etc) and all the local PBS stations (17.1 and 24.1). I was also getting 12.1 and a few others. Today it is overcast and I'm getting nothing but WKTV, WUTR and FOX. All my PBS stations aren't coming in and Albany is gone as well. I can't figure out why I'm losing PBS when the towers are the same distance as WUTR, etc... Getting very frustrated as I cut Satellite and would like PBS for my kids in the morning as they have great programming for them. Thanks for any help.
post #3998 of 4014 Old 03-14-2016, 01:31 PM

The results you're seeing don't especially surprise me: without knowing exactly where you are, I did a TVFool check for the center of Oriskany... and only the Utica stations are line-of-sight. All of the Syracuse stations are a two-edge shot (meaning the signal is skirting two hills); WMHT in Schenectady is a one-edge shot.

Your assumption about distance is not correct: most Utica stations are less than 10 miles away, except for WKTV, which is about 20. Syracuse stations are generally around 40 miles away, and Albany / Schenectady stations are about 75 miles away.

Several things to consider and try. First, the stations you are trying to receive are in radically different directions, but your antenna is directional. Using a rotator will help greatly: it's very unlikely that you will receive distant stations unless the antenna is pointed right at them. Second, if you still have trouble getting reliable reception, using an antenna with higher gain (if you like Antenna Direct, a DB-8 is an example, and will give you nearly 6dB more signal than the antenna you are now using). Winegard and Channel Master also have antennas that are good candidates for longer-range reception.

Good luck!
post #3999 of 4014 Old 03-14-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV_Engineer_Syr View Post
The results you're seeing don't especially surprise me: without knowing exactly where you are, I did a TVFool check for the center of Oriskany... and only the Utica stations are line-of-sight. All of the Syracuse stations are a two-edge shot (meaning the signal is skirting two hills); WMHT in Schenectady is a one-edge shot.

Your assumption about distance is not correct: most Utica stations are less than 10 miles away, except for WKTV, which is about 20. Syracuse stations are generally around 40 miles away, and Albany / Schenectady stations are about 75 miles away.

Several things to consider and try. First, the stations you are trying to receive are in radically different directions, but your antenna is directional. Using a rotator will help greatly: it's very unlikely that you will receive distant stations unless the antenna is pointed right at them. Second, if you still have trouble getting reliable reception, using an antenna with higher gain (if you like Antenna Direct, a DB-8 is an example, and will give you nearly 6dB more signal than the antenna you are now using). Winegard and Channel Master also have antennas that are good candidates for longer-range reception.

Good luck!
I'm okay just getting Utica stations, that's fine but I can't even get the local pbs which is strange. Tonight with the strong winds I was having lots of breakups just with the Utica stuff. All weekend long the Utica channels were crystal clear including wktv. Maybe I need to move my antenna off the fascia board and on to the peak of the roof. It seems like my current antenna should be more than adequate to pull the Utica area channels. I'm okay not getting Syracuse or Albany stuff, At least with any consistency. I guess I'll try moving the antenna higher this weekend.
post #4000 of 4014 Old 03-15-2016, 01:07 PM

Ok well I figured out the problem today, bad coax connection at pre-amp. Replaced terminal and all is good! Back to getting all Utica stations and Albany as well.
post #4001 of 4014 Old 03-15-2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchas41 View Post
Ok well I figured out the problem today, bad coax connection at pre-amp. Replaced terminal and all is good! Back to getting all Utica stations and Albany as well.
Good for you! Connection problems are usually one of the first things that I suggest people look for, but I figured that your installation was pretty new, so that was less likely. I was scratching my head about the local PBS station, since there really isn't one in Utica... then remembered that WCNY has a translator on WKTV's tower.
post #4002 of 4014 Old 04-20-2016, 04:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Anyone know or heard of TWC's changeover from analog to all encrypted digital and the possibility of elimination of that damn SDV (Switched Digital Video) in this market?

Free, abundant OTA television separates this country from many others. ATSC1 has only been in force since 2009. The wireless industry has enough spectrum. Enough of 'planned obsolesce'.
post #4003 of 4014 Old 05-11-2016, 06:31 AM

CBS and CW Utica in HD OTA?

Here are some recent uploads from Garth J (arrikj) on Flickr.

WKTV 2.2 (CBS)

WKTV 2.3 (CW)

From these, it shows that the CBS and CW subchannels of WKTV are in 720p HD. But RabbitEars still says they're in 480i SD. With the main feed (NBC) possibly downconverted to 720p, could it be possible that WKTV is running three 720p subchannels?

post #4004 of 4014 Old 05-11-2016, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvcg66b3r View Post
With the main feed (NBC) possibly downconverted to 720p, could it be possible that WKTV is running three 720p subchannels?
Yup, newer generation encoding equipment like the Harmonic Electra 8000 series can do that. More efficient encoding, combined with smarter multiplexing, make it possible to generate more HD programs in one program stream, with decent quality... especially if the streams are 720p.
post #4005 of 4014 Old 05-11-2016, 07:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^ I'd believe that when I see it. ^
Of course, it depends on your definition of "decent".

Free, abundant OTA television separates this country from many others. ATSC1 has only been in force since 2009. The wireless industry has enough spectrum. Enough of 'planned obsolesce'.
post #4006 of 4014 Old 05-11-2016, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
Of course, it depends on your definition of "decent".
Well, yes -- and that's rather subjective. It also depends on the nature of the video on each program stream at any given time: three fairly static "talking head" shows are going to encode much better than three active sports feeds with lots of fast, random motion. Statistical multiplexing takes advantage of the fact that a given program's demand for bitrate varies, allowing several programs to trade off as needed. Just thinking theoretically, the more program streams you combine, the more tradeoff you can accomplish, because the odds of being able to steal bits for one program improve if there are more potential donors. Obviously there are limits here, and I'm not saying this is perfect... just that it's possible today with a level of quality that was not possible a few years ago.

It will be interesting to see how WKTV fares during this year's Olympics: some of the nastiest video I've ever seen has been the output of NBC's Skypath rack during past games, especially during tight shots of swimming events with lots of motion and lots of water spray. Skypath is much better now, especially since they shifted to MPEG-4 delivery... but it's still going to be a challenge fitting that sort of content into one ATSC channel with two other HD and one SD feed.

The other thing that always amazes me is the utter divide in perception of what constitutes good picture quality. On the one hand we have people who lose sleep if the video goes through even one 1080i to 720p cross-conversion; on the other, we have people who think an anamorphic standard definition feed is HD simply because it fills their screen (even if the effective detail is reduced compared to sending the feed in its native 4:3 format).

Some days you just can't win!
post #4007 of 4014 Old 05-11-2016, 07:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
we have people who think an anamorphic standard definition feed is HD simply because it fills their screen
What makes that so pathetic is there are some here that believe that.
How many times does one see that in medical office waiting rooms even when 'in the clear' HD is available on the CATV feed??

post #4008 of 4014 Old 05-11-2016, 07:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Looks like WKTV getting ready for ATSC 3?

post #4009 of 4014 Old 05-11-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
Looks like WKTV getting ready for ATSC 3?
An encoding platform like that certainly does get them a step closer, but I suspect the immediate motivation was simply adding the CBS stream, and shifting ad revenue away from WTVH. Also, stations that installed gear as part of the original DTV migration are finding that their equipment -- especially Tandberg and Harris Flexicoder / NetVX platforms -- are largely out of support and starting to develop flaky problems. In my shop, we replaced the original crop of Tandberg gear a few years ago, and are running Harris NetVX frames -- in fact, a lot of NetVX frames, so we have more spares than most standalone stations. As much as I like the NetVX, and as much as I've gotten to know its quirks, I still look forward to retiring it...
post #4010 of 4014 Old 05-11-2016, 05:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
So can anyone tell if 2-1 is in 1080i or 720p at this point?

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #4011 of 4014 Old 05-11-2016, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
So can anyone tell if 2-1 is in 1080i or 720p at this point?

- Trip
Just email WKTV and see if they tell you.

post #4012 of 4014 Old 06-20-2016, 07:17 PM

Pixelation problem on Channel 3.1

Is anyone else experiencing intermittent pixilation for a second or two channel 3.1 via OTA? My signal level is high (92%) and ever since their transmitter went off a couple months ago, I have had this problem. Signal level doesn't appear to drop. Picture and audio stutter for a second and then correct. Then it happens again in a few minutes. At other times, channel is fine. This is definitely an intermittent thing.

FYI, I am in Liverpool, NY. Outdoor antenna and cables are only 1 year old.

It's similar to a problem channel 68 had a few years back.That turned out to be a problem with their splicer (according to their engineer).
post #4013 of 4014 Old 06-21-2016, 04:12 PM

Pixelation on Channel 3.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverpool1 View Post
Is anyone else experiencing intermittent pixilation for a second or two channel 3.1 via OTA? My signal level is high (92%) and ever since their transmitter went off a couple months ago, I have had this problem. Signal level doesn't appear to drop. Picture and audio stutter for a second and then correct. Then it happens again in a few minutes. At other times, channel is fine. This is definitely an intermittent thing.

FYI, I am in Liverpool, NY. Outdoor antenna and cables are only 1 year old.

It's similar to a problem channel 68 had a few years back.That turned out to be a problem with their splicer (according to their engineer).

Additional information:
Signal level drops to 0 briefly when this occurs. Definite problem with their transmitter! Are there no Syracuse engineers on here anymore?
post #4014 of 4014 Old 06-27-2016, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've been seeing promos for Cozi TV coming to wvvc! Anyone know whether it's replacing one of the current subchannels or being added as a new one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page