post #451 of 3984 Old 10-22-2006, 04:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital desire View Post

Watching SNL now.
Why is it that the audio level is so different between the show and commercials?
It is really bad, especially the furniture commercials, and the dunkin doughnuts (John Goodmans voice) which are almost blow out inducing!
Is that willful do you suppose, or just "happens"?

You didn't mention it, but I assume you were watching the HD channel. The audio level during NBC HD segments is entirely under NBC control. It travels a pretty short path from the satellite receiver, through a switch (the other input of the switch is locally originated audio), into the Dolby encoder and right on out to Time Warner and the digital transmitter. Altogether it is probably 15 feet of wire, all digital. We don't bring it down to analog, and don't use any auto-level devices on the NBC HD audio.

NBC also provides metadata (it comes out a serial port of the satellite receiver, and plugs in to the Dolby encoder) which controls the channel configuration (for instance, 5.1 vs. 2.0) and audio level. Lately, a lot of NBC HD is 5.1 (many prime time shows, Today, Tonight, Late Night, SNL), which puts most of the dialog in the center channel.

Local audio is handled much differently. It is always 2.0, the front L and R only. That alone tends to make it louder during local segments (two speakers instead of one). Plus, the device we use to even out the local audio levels broke a few weeks ago. That means if a tape operator dubs a commercial into the video server with somewhat high levels, they are going to be somewhat high on-air. We just received replacement parts to fix the audio level controller, so if all goes well, I'll have that working again sometime on Monday the 23rd. It still won't be a perfect match between NBC HD and local audio, but it should be much better.

It is interesting to watch the levels on NBC HD material. During a program when people are just talking, with no music and no sound effects, there is virtually no activity on L, R, rear or sub. Only the center channel has audio, and it usually peaks at no more than -30dB. If they suddenly have loud music and big crashing sound effects, all the other channels can suddenly light up with much higher levels. Audio techs constantly debate how to deal with audio levels in the digital, multi-channel world, and there are various recommendations on what the average levels should be for various types of programming.

I guess my point is that NBC HD levels will vary a lot, and our average level for locally originated audio won't necessarily match what NBC is doing at the moment - although, as I said before, you should notice an improvement by Oct 23rd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 3984 Old 10-22-2006, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Well, thanks! Even if it is not an answer I like, it's an answer.
Yes, I was refering to OTA digital, run through the HT setup.
It is issues like this that I hope get ironed out soon in the digital spectrum. Perhaps I could have selceted a compression mode (IIRC, sony calls it the midnight mode), but I don't really like this as a solution.

Just one of a few complaints as this goes through spool up for me.

My other is cost of a seperate set top tuner. CC has one for $229! Wally world has a 27 flat screen tv with on board atsc tuner for $207. There are going to be plenty of TV sets by the curb in the middle of February in a few years unless the price comes down. I can only think it must.

Lot's of low rent stuff stacked up into a medium rent pile.
post #453 of 3984 Old 10-23-2006, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick0725 View Post

there is an article in today's Sunday paper...page 1 in the cny section.

HDTV...missing in action.

Since I didn't get the paper....did it mention anything about the feud between the local Fox station owners and Time Warner? And how TW cable subscribers won't see FoxHD in our lifetimes?
post #454 of 3984 Old 10-28-2006, 07:05 AM

Ok Syracuse and/or CNY (particularly Orange fans), here is my dilemma, I am about to get DTV hooked up to my new HDTV (Sony 40V2500) and I want to soooo terminate TWC; however, I would then be w/o TWC 26 and miss out on SU football and, much more importantly, SU basketball which TWC broadcasts many games of during the respective seasons. Any solutions that I am unaware of? Am I stuck retaining cable if I want the luxury of wanting to watch SU sports?
post #455 of 3984 Old 10-29-2006, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhall1 View Post

Since I didn't get the paper....did it mention anything about the feud between the local Fox station owners and Time Warner? And how TW cable subscribers won't see FoxHD in our lifetimes?

The bottom line is money. Sinclair (owner of Syracuse's FOX affiliate), wants TWC to pay for their signal, just as TWC already pays for a lot of the cable-only networks.

If cable companies bow to Sinclair's demands, it would set a BIG precedent and other local stations would certainly be looking for their $$$ from the cable operators when the retransmission agreements came up for renewal. For this reason (and others), cable operators are not likely to give in to Sinclair's demands.

Sinclair is getting paid by DirecTV for each customer "poached" from cable, so Sinclair is even running ads on at least one of their stations encouraging viewers to sign up for DirecTV if they want to continue seeing their station. For this reason (and others), Sinclair is not likely to give up their demands to be paid for their signals.

It could even get to the point where Sinclair pulls their existing signals from cable. It is just about to happen elsewhere in the country. For more, here is an interesting article from a TV trade publication: http://www.tvtechnology.com/dailynews/one.php?id=4343
post #456 of 3984 Old 11-01-2006, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
sheesh...I wonder if we can appeal to Fox to put pressure on Sinclair? After all...are folks really going to switch from cable to dish just so they can get Fox? I think not. So, maybe Fox wouldn't like to lose all those viewers and would step in.
post #457 of 3984 Old 11-02-2006, 02:18 AM

This fall I received all the SU football games from Direct tv - either with the football package or from their sports package. I'm also planning to pick up their ESPN Basketball pkg - which last year had just about everygame that the nets didn't have. Hope that helps. Jack
post #458 of 3984 Old 11-02-2006, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Can someone tell me what TWC uses for there HD cable boxes. I need to know what the non DVR box is.

Xbox Live- DragonsLee

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." - Bruce Lee
post #459 of 3984 Old 11-02-2006, 12:47 PM

They use the Pace DC-550 for their non DVR HD boxes
post #460 of 3984 Old 11-02-2006, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Ok thanks, from what I see this doesn't have any HDMI outputs. What options from TW do I have. I currently use the 8300HD but am looking for a second cable box for my bedroom tv. How much is a second 8300HD box. I was told $14.95 extra a month, to me that seems high for a rental fee.

Xbox Live- DragonsLee

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." - Bruce Lee
post #461 of 3984 Old 11-02-2006, 03:22 PM

Aldercreek Jack, do you mean that most of the SU Basketball games are on the ESPN Basketball package? Your reference to the nets threw me.

Thanks,
Zonk
post #462 of 3984 Old 11-04-2006, 02:46 AM

Yes - last year I got just about every SU hoop game either from ESPN - the regular nets, the Direct TV sports package which I think is like $12 a month and a good number on the ESPN hoop package....I think its worth the $45 a month for two months - you get just about everything....I haven't heard if they will put some of the games in HD or not. Hope that helps. I did check and the ESPN basketball package schedule isn't available yet - You have until sometime the end of this month to get the lower rate from Directv
post #463 of 3984 Old 11-04-2006, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldercreek jack View Post

Yes - last year I got just about every SU hoop game either from ESPN - the regular nets, the Direct TV sports package which I think is like $12 a month and a good number on the ESPN hoop package....I think its worth the $45 a month for two months - you get just about everything....I haven't heard if they will put some of the games in HD or not. Hope that helps. I did check and the ESPN basketball package schedule isn't available yet - You have until sometime the end of this month to get the lower rate from Directv

ESPN FullCourt

1/7/2007 8pm Syracuse/Marquette
1/10/2007 9pm Syracuse/Rutgers
1/17/2007 7pm Cincinnati/Syracuse
1/21/2007 2pm Syracuse/St. Johns
2/3/2007 4pm DePaul/Syracuse
2/11/2007 2pm St. Johns/Syracuse
2/14/2007 7pm Syracuse/South Florida
2/17/2007 3:30 pm Conn./Syracuse also on ABC
ALL OTHER BIG EAST GAMES ARE ON ESPN, 1 on CBS, 1 on ABC, Notre Dame on ESPNU

I am a dish customer and live in Northern NY, I have subscribed to ESPN Full court for 3 years to get SU games. Half year package may not get you the first two games in Jan. as I do not believe the half-season pkg. starts til after the 10th. Full season pkg is $99 and would include Canisus game on Nov 25. Also 2 pre BigEast season games are on ESPNU, which TWC does not carry, Holy Cross and Witchita are on ESPNU.

I was told a couple of years ago by a Dish customer in Cicero that Time warner forced a blackoput on ESPN Full Court in immediate Syracuse area, not sure if that is true or not. I have never been blacked out in Ogdensburg.

Any Su games on MSG or FoxNY will be blacked out in upstate NY on satellite, as MSG only has NYC rights
post #464 of 3984 Old 11-06-2006, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdh43 View Post

ESPN FullCourt

1/7/2007 8pm Syracuse/Marquette
1/10/2007 9pm Syracuse/Rutgers
1/17/2007 7pm Cincinnati/Syracuse
1/21/2007 2pm Syracuse/St. Johns
2/3/2007 4pm DePaul/Syracuse
2/11/2007 2pm St. Johns/Syracuse
2/14/2007 7pm Syracuse/South Florida
2/17/2007 3:30 pm Conn./Syracuse also on ABC
ALL OTHER BIG EAST GAMES ARE ON ESPN, 1 on CBS, 1 on ABC, Notre Dame on ESPNU

I am a dish customer and live in Northern NY, I have subscribed to ESPN Full court for 3 years to get SU games. Half year package may not get you the first two games in Jan. as I do not believe the half-season pkg. starts til after the 10th. Full season pkg is $99 and would include Canisus game on Nov 25. Also 2 pre BigEast season games are on ESPNU, which TWC does not carry, Holy Cross and Witchita are on ESPNU.

I was told a couple of years ago by a Dish customer in Cicero that Time warner forced a blackoput on ESPN Full Court in immediate Syracuse area, not sure if that is true or not. I have never been blacked out in Ogdensburg.

Any Su games on MSG or FoxNY will be blacked out in upstate NY on satellite, as MSG only has NYC rights

mdh43, thanks for sharing the information. We should continue to update this thread on this topic w/ any new and/or further information.

If anyone else out there knows the answer to mdh43's question about whether TWC forces a blackout, and under what circumstances, please share with this thread.
post #465 of 3984 Old 11-08-2006, 04:59 AM

Can anyone tell me if they are experiencing a Lip Sync problem on WNYS-DT? If anyone has seen this, can you let me know so that we can look further for this ellusive little gremlin. Also, if you have seen it, does it show up during all programming, only during prime, or only during non-prime?

Thanks.
Your friens at Fox and WB
post #466 of 3984 Old 11-17-2006, 07:04 PM

Hey guys- Does anyone know if Syracuse TW broadcasts the HD OTA channels in QAM, meaning you can view the local OTA HD channels via the cable line coming directly into a TV that has a built-in HD ASTC tuner? Thus avoiding the need for a HD set-top box to view the OTA HD channels?

I have the Samsung LN-S2738D and cannot pick the HDs up this way (or anything above Chan 79). I am trying to figure out if it is my TV or SYR TW Cable. Thanks.
post #467 of 3984 Old 11-18-2006, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Anybody local need a DB8?
Not going to use it, the old VHF/UHF antenna mounted out on a 10' pole on the shed (vs. up in the attic) is working great!
I'll like to sell the db8 for $90, I have $130 into it.

post #468 of 3984 Old 11-23-2006, 06:37 AM

I'm no expert here...but would value others opinions. I have had my HD setup since 02?. The first Time Warner box was a non DVR,(model?) and it was replaced by the DVR 8300? soon after. The initial PQ was incredible, and I did experience a minor down grade with the 8300. I lived with it.
But now, it seems that none of the HD channels impress me anymore. Have I just adjusted to them? Have my expectation changed? Has my RPTV degraded(maybe)? Even the non-believers, (wife, children) in my house agree that the early PBS loops were head and shoulders above anything we see now. Occasionally, I tune to Leno just to calibrate my expectations, and I think it does look much better than most other source mat'l.

am I crazy?
post #469 of 3984 Old 11-23-2006, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

penzly:
I have Time Warner come out every year or so to check my signal strength and they usually find that it has gone down on the high frequency channels (i.e., the HD channels). This last year, they had to replace the cable from my set to the pole on the street in order to get the signal up to acceptable levels. You're paying them plenty for your signal, make them insure that you are getting all of it.

mnilan
post #470 of 3984 Old 11-23-2006, 11:54 AM

Does signal level effect picture quality of digital signals? When I had sat...low signal levels resulted in pixelation and breakup, not picture quality per se.

It is however, something to consider...Thanks
post #471 of 3984 Old 11-23-2006, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Can you recieve OTA, hook up an antenna and compare the quality?

post #472 of 3984 Old 11-23-2006, 03:57 PM

hello all...
for about 2 weeks, i've been having pixelation problems and frequent complete signal loss on 68-01 (fox). are there known issues with their transmission?
on another note, 5-01 (cbs) had been choppy all summer and for the past week has been back to normal. did anyone else experience this?
should i look for problems on my side, or be patient for syracuse networks to work things out?
fyi: signal strength using dish vip 622 dvr is 88 to 91 on nbc, cbs, and abc, but only 67 to 68 fox tonight.
thanks in advance
mark
penn yan, ny
post #473 of 3984 Old 11-23-2006, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I noticed the pixels are gone on 5 now also. THey must have done something eh?
68 is rock solid.

post #474 of 3984 Old 11-24-2006, 06:23 AM

I can't get OTA, no built in tuner....So I have little to compare it to. It still looks great compared to SD...but I'm just curious if any other TWC customers notice a difference from 4 or 5 years ago.
post #475 of 3984 Old 11-28-2006, 10:52 AM

We will be buying HDTV in December. Could someone recommend an antenna for my area? antennaweb says that the channels for abc, cbs, fox, mnt (whatever this is), and i (channel 56, whatever this is too) are yellow-uhf, and nbc and pbs are green-uhf. These are the channels we mainly watch. Could I get away with an indoor antenna of some kind? Any recommendations?

Thanks for any help,
Scott
post #476 of 3984 Old 11-28-2006, 04:29 PM

I live in the Utica area, and just got a HD box from TWC last Friday. This weekend their was no sport programming in HD for WTVH-Syracuse. In fact I checked the guide for the entire week and still no HD sports!! I really wanted to watch football this weekend and last weekend, and nata! Called TWC and they told me that the signal should be HD (they were in Buffalo area) . My buddy had HD with TWC in Utica before and always got the games. Did anybody else have this problem in Utica? Is this something that occasionally happens? Even ESPNHD did not broadcast any basketball games (pro or college).
post #477 of 3984 Old 11-29-2006, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abidzip View Post

I live in the Utica area, and just got a HD box from TWC last Friday. This weekend their was no sport programming in HD for WTVH-Syracuse. In fact I checked the guide for the entire week and still no HD sports!! I really wanted to watch football this weekend and last weekend, and nata! Called TWC and they told me that the signal should be HD (they were in Buffalo area) . My buddy had HD with TWC in Utica before and always got the games. Did anybody else have this problem in Utica? Is this something that occasionally happens? Even ESPNHD did not broadcast any basketball games (pro or college).

well abidzip welcome to utica ny hd,with its 2 hd channels,and yes sometimes the channel guide might say hd but the station or twc may not pick up the signal,also the pbs in syracuse is never in hd so don't waste your time with that one
post #478 of 3984 Old 11-29-2006, 10:49 AM

i just want to tell you guys the little lie twc said a couple of days ago.well i live in the utica ny area and i was looking for a ny ranger game,the game was on msg2 and knicks where on msg1 and no buffalo hockey game that night so we are free to see the ranger game,so come game time there was no ranger game so i called twc and as are talk went forward a supervisor starts coming up with lies,he said that
twc will not broadcast msg2 feeds because of the cost,and he said adelphia used to show msg2 because they where in bankruptcy so the networks like msg whould just give them the feed because they knew they whould not pay for it,so they gave them the feed for free,so i bought his story believing he was telling the truth,don't you know that the next night the rangers are on msg and the knicks where on msg2 and they showed the knick game on there twc sports channel,so there goes his story that they can't carry msg2 feeds,then he gave me all sorts of bull on why we have only two hd channels,i wish there was a way to start a list of people who whould want to show there discuss against twc cable in the utica ny area or any area
post #479 of 3984 Old 11-29-2006, 03:56 PM

Hello all - as a new owner of a Sharp Aquos, I have a few questions about HD [over the air] in CNY. Hopefully some of the gurus can shed some light on these issues:

1. Why does channel 9.1 show gray bars for a 4:3 image instead of black? All the other channels show black...

2. Channels 5.1 and 5.2 appear to show the same content. Why is this so?

3. I read somewhere that some local channels broadcast 720P while others use 1080i. Is there an easy way to detect this?

4. Right now I have a Channel Master 8 bay antenna pointed at Syracuse. I can see all the SYR digital channels, but still have issues with 3.x. Are there any plans to increase the power on the WSTM? Oddly enough, the 68.1 [channel 19] is the strongest! Maybe it is time to look into UHF amplifiers.

Scott (in Camden)

HR44-200 (Genie) via HDMI to Vizio 47" M3D470KD LED, HR22-100 via HDMI to Sylvania 26" LCD, H23-600 via HDMI to Insignia 19" LCD, Sony Blu-ray BDP-S550, Sony STR-KS370, Directv Whole-Home DVR.
post #480 of 3984 Old 11-29-2006, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbracciole View Post

also the pbs in syracuse is never in hd so don't waste your time with that one

Actually, 24.4 (25.4) is pretty much 24/7 HD (hence PBS-HD) @ 1080i. Looks pretty good, too.

Edit: Ahh sorry you're talking TWC. Sorry... been a long day
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page