Syracuse / Utica, NY - HDTV - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 3984 Old 01-20-2007, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Sinclair and Time Warner settled the re-trans issue late yesterday, but their are no details of the agreement yet. However, that sounds like a big positive. I wonder what they gave into in order to get the signal? TWC was against big money compensation for the carriage of free OTA signals. Hopefully, we don't see a spike in our bills over this. However, TWC may also have known that the Super Bowl is carried by Fox next year and wants to avoid the issue altogether. I will check out my HD lineup later today.

Also, nothing on the TWC website yet.

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 3984 Old 01-20-2007, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
looking at the channel lineup now, 868 has picture, and a programming lineup for the next week! looks like we finally have foxHD!

btw, this is out of Ithaca.
post #543 of 3984 Old 01-20-2007, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

At last check in Rome the guide was up with data for the entire week, but no video yet. I have to go to Syracuse this afternoon and will check it out when I get in tonight.

post #544 of 3984 Old 01-20-2007, 12:31 PM

Liked: 12
Yes ladies and gentlemen, we finally have Fox HD over Time Warner cable here in CNY! I really didn't think I'd see it for a long time. Kudos to Time Warner for adding ESPN2, MHD and now Fox this month!
Way to go!
post #545 of 3984 Old 01-20-2007, 03:18 PM

though it seems the signal isn't coming in as hd...
post #546 of 3984 Old 01-20-2007, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martynic View Post

Yes ladies and gentlemen, we finally have Fox HD over Time Warner cable here in CNY! I really didn't think I'd see it for a long time. Kudos to Time Warner for adding ESPN2, MHD and now Fox this month!
Way to go!

Don't forget A&E HD! Now I hope they start running SWAT in HD! At around 2 pm in Rome I noticed the digital feed went "live"! Yes, indeed, kudos are in order especially knowing they had to deal with the evil likes of Sinclair! I've been waiting over a year now for Fox HD! I guess I can stop boycotting WSYT advertisers for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikguru6 View Post

though it seems the signal isn't coming in as hd...

Well, not everything broadcast on the digital feed is in HD. Chances are only Fox Sports events (NFL, Nascar, etc.) and Prime Time progs like Prison Break, American Idol, etc will be in HD. Some shows will come in the standard 4x3 format, but are still better looking than the analog feed on Channel 8.

post #547 of 3984 Old 01-21-2007, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
now lets bring on the CW in HD

Xbox Live- DragonsLee

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." - Bruce Lee
post #548 of 3984 Old 01-21-2007, 08:48 PM

From information I have been able to come up with, it looks like a three year deal between Sinclair and TWC, but further details won't be available until tomorrow. It will be interesting to see what kind of deal has been worked out.
post #549 of 3984 Old 01-22-2007, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmstyle View Post

now lets bring on the CW in HD

Your comment made me question why WNYS HD isn't on TWC. I assumed that it would come along with WSYT since both are owned by Sinclair. Guess not...

HR44-200 (Genie) via HDMI to Vizio 47" M3D470KD LED, HR22-100 via HDMI to Sylvania 26" LCD, H23-600 via HDMI to Insignia 19" LCD, Sony Blu-ray BDP-S550, Sony STR-KS370, Directv Whole-Home DVR.
post #550 of 3984 Old 01-22-2007, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Is the CW affiliate even broadcasting in HD? If they are, it could be that Time Warner paid dearly for the Fox digital signal and wasn't going to pay even more for the CW feed. I'd say that if TWC had to make a choice between Fox or the CW then by all means Fox was the right call. Remember, dealing with Sinclair is like pulling teeth and TWC also had to make sure they had an analog re-trans agreement before they worried about the digital one due to the fact that Sinclair was going to yank its stations from all the Adelphia markets that TWC took over. I guess we will see as details trickle in, but once I look into it I will drop a question to TWC about it. They usually email me back promptly and have even given a follow up phone call
sometimes.

UPDATE: WNYS is Sinclair owned, but that is the MyTV 43 affiliate, not the CW. The CW WSTQ is owned by Barrinton Broadcasting and is a sub-affiliate of WSTM, so if they are broadcasting in HD I'm pretty sure Time Warner would have it. I doubt they are because WSTQ is an LP station and is now a sub-shannel on WSTM's digital feed along with WeatherPlus and The Tube.

Info about WSTM and it's digital sub-channels is HERE.

post #551 of 3984 Old 01-23-2007, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

Is the CW affiliate even broadcasting in HD? ...

No, WSTQ (CW) is not in HD, nor will it be in the forseeable future. The station has no HD satellite receiver for The CW, no Master Control HD switcher, no upconverter for the locally originated programming, no HD encoder for broadcast, and no room in the digital transport stream for another HD signal.

With 2 hours or less of HD programming per day on The CW, it does not make a compelling case for spending the big $$$ that would be necessary to provide The CW in HD.
post #552 of 3984 Old 01-23-2007, 03:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum19 View Post

Here at WSYT, it is a manual switch, not under automation control. I will have a discussion with the MC operators about being more timely with the switching on the digital side.

Your friends at Fox/MY

Now that we have WSYT in HD, is there anything that can be done about audio levels of commercials? Watching 24 last night if I had the volume level at a comfortable level to hear dialog, as soon as any commercials came on (and the switch to SD was made) the sound levels blasted the whole house. It was not a small jump in volume - it was HUGE...you can't tell me the levels are balanced properly.
post #553 of 3984 Old 01-23-2007, 05:01 AM

Greetings, I live in Auburn and I was wondering if anyone knows when we will be getting these new HD channels. I currently only recieve WSTM, WCBS, ESPN and Discovery HD Theater in HD. When I go to the TWC site and type in my area code it appears that I am part of the Syracuse area but I have yet to see these new channels. Thank You for your time.
post #554 of 3984 Old 01-23-2007, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

I couldn't say, but according to what I read TWC settled for all the markets and not just those from the Adelphia takeover. Unfortunately, Adelphia was such a disaster when TWC took it over that major upgrades are in progress (at least in Utica). I would assume at some point once they finish you will see a line up and services comparable to Syracuse/Rome.

post #555 of 3984 Old 01-23-2007, 12:22 PM

I am one of those poor folk in Utica. The "upgrade" should be complete by the end of Jan/early Feb from the mouths of the people at our local office. Does this mean that we'll get Fox HD as well?

Visit UticaHDTV.com and support competition in the local marketplace!
post #556 of 3984 Old 01-23-2007, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetdog View Post

I am one of those poor folk in Utica. The "upgrade" should be complete by the end of Jan/early Feb from the mouths of the people at our local office. Does this mean that we'll get Fox HD as well?

No. Utica is outside the the Syracuse DMA. The only reason you are allowed to get the CBS feed is because Utica has no CBS affiliate. Apparently WKTV (NBS), WUTR (ABC), and WFXV (Fox) have no plans to transmit in HD as they already meet the requirement to be digital by the FCC. I have sent numerous requests to the management and engineering departments of these stations and all my requests for information have been ignored. They have not even bothered to reply. Until the laws are changed governing re-trans, small markets with bad management will have exclusive "monopoly-like" rights to their signals.

The upgrade is for increased bandwidth and additional fiber lines to the best of my knowledge. They are upgrading equipment, most likely to offer better high speed Internet and add on Digital Phone service. You should get the additional cable HD channels like A&E, ESPN 2, etc. but that's about it.

post #557 of 3984 Old 01-23-2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:

No. Utica is outside the the Syracuse DMA. The only reason you are allowed to get the CBS feed is because Utica has no CBS affiliate. Apparently WKTV (NBS), WUTR (ABC), and WFXV (Fox) have no plans to transmit in HD as they already meet the requirement to be digital by the FCC. I have sent numerous requests to the management and engineering departments of these stations and all my requests for information have been ignored. They have not even bothered to reply. Until the laws are changed governing re-trans, small markets with bad management will have exclusive "monopoly-like" rights to their signals.

The upgrade is for increased bandwidth and additional fiber lines to the best of my knowledge. They are upgrading equipment, most likely to offer better high speed Internet and add on Digital Phone service. You should get the additional cable HD channels like A&D, ESPN 2, etc. but that's about it.

Oddly enough, I JUST got off the phone with my local office, and they said that yes, we WILL be getting Fox HD once our upgrade is complete. (Now end of Feb/Begin March). Thoughts?

post #558 of 3984 Old 01-23-2007, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Unless, WFXV is allowing it. However, if that's the case then ask them if they will be adding all the other affiliates as well? As far as I know, a neighboring DMA can be blocked. Look at the Mediacom/Sinclair situation. If Mediacom could just bring in an out of market signals I'm sure they would do that and tell Sinclair to go to hell. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I'm pulling for all the Utica TV watchers! I hope Time Warner turns around the cable situation there. It has been mediocre for so many years.

post #559 of 3984 Old 01-23-2007, 05:23 PM

Quote:

Unless, WFXV is allowing it. However, if that's the case then ask them if they will be adding all the other affiliates as well? As far as I know, a neighboring DMA can be blocked. Look at the Mediacom/Sinclair situation. If Mediacom could just bring in an out of market signals I'm sure they would do that and tell Sinclair to go to hell. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I'm pulling for all the Utica TV watchers! I hope Time Warner turns around the cable situation there. It has been mediocre for so many years.

I will most certainly give them a call tomorrow and ask. I was most certainly bummed when I read your post but then realized that it made perfect sense. I'll verify this tomorrow, and if, in fact, they did lie to me and we AREN'T getting Fox HD when the upgrade is complete, i will be calling WFXV daily and hassling them about bringing an HD signal in.

What is nice, however, is that FXV's license expires in June of this year, I believe. I run a very prominent music-based fansite, so my internet exposure isn't insignificant. I can make a lot of noise, and will do so in the event that FXV blocks outside affiliates but refuses to make the move to HD. If they refuse, but their license isn't renewed, then we can definitely get Cuse's feed.

Thanks for your help!

post #560 of 3984 Old 01-23-2007, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, that may be the case. They may just drop the feed if they don't intend to renew. If that happens then TWC is free to bring in an outside market. Good luck getting anywhere with emails and phone calls. I was hounding them about it so we wouldn't have to rely on Sinclair. I never received an answer from anyone at the station.

I would have at least expected WKTV to be broadcasting in HD by now, but it seems they have no intentions of doing so either. After I looked into it further, I noticed that most of the same people are the contacts for all the utica.tv affiliates. This was the running joke with my father. He just bought an nice 1080i Plasma for $1600. He has an a HDTV with no HDTV content to watch! He can't get the digital OTA feeds out of Syracuse. It would be nice if the Utica maeket got it's act together, but I'm not counting on it.

post #561 of 3984 Old 01-24-2007, 04:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Yikes...thank goodness Rome is considered outside the Utica area...no NBC and ABC HD (and no prospect of it in the forseeable future) would suck big time.
post #562 of 3984 Old 01-24-2007, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, Rome is one of those extremely fortunate areas that fall between two DMA's and can get the signals from either. It's rare to have a situation like this, but I'm thankful Rome was included in the Syracuse DMA and not the Utica market. As far as I know, TWC has stated that they would like to make the channel line ups similar and offer the "All The Best" packages along with a price structure that is similar throughout the markets. I know alot of people are not even giving them a chance to completely switch over. It would be great if TWC was allowed to bring in all the HD feeds from Syracuse.

post #563 of 3984 Old 01-24-2007, 05:32 AM

Quote:

Yes, Rome is one of those extremely fortunate areas that fall between two DMA's and can get the signals from either. It's rare to have a situation like this, but I'm thankful Rome was included in the Syracuse DMA and not the Utica market. As far as I know, TWC has stated that they would like to make the channel line ups similar and offer the "All The Best" packages along with a price structure that is similar throughout the markets. I know alot of people are not even giving them a chance to completely switch over. It would be great if TWC was allowed to bring in all the HD feeds from Syracuse.

I will get specifics today for sure, Ben. I had a huge problem with Adelphia about 2 years ago and managed to receive a promise from our local branch that any time I had any problems, I was to call the local office, and not the 888 number. So - for the $130/month that I pay, I have no problem doing that.

Yesterday when I called and the woman there told me that yes, they would indeed be getting Fox HD, I guess my initial excitement coupled with the posts I had read here had me convinced that all was well. After your reply and doing some more thinking about it, I'm once again discouraged and will be calling the local office around 9am to get the full monty.

If I had another option whatsoever, I'd go with it. I don't care about local channels, but I do care about the broadcast networks, and in HD, to boot. So what's my other option? DirecTV. Only problem is, I live in Utica, so none of the local broadcast affiliates will grant me a waiver so I can receive the LA/NY feeds of the networks. Even if I could somehow lie about my service address, and get the waiver, I wouldn't know for sure for at least 45 days (and there's no way I'm signing a contract w/ DTV w/o knowing what channels I'm getting), and even then, I don't know if the LA/NY broadcast feeds are HD. I doubt that they are. So I'm absolutely stuck, and I'm absolutely fed up with this!

post #564 of 3984 Old 01-24-2007, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, satellite is going to be a problem either way you cut it:

A) You can't get Utica locals on satellite and probably won't. The market is too small.

B) You could say you live in Rome and set up a Rome service address, but you'd have to do a self install. However, all that will do is get you analog SD locals from Syracuse re-trans over the satellite. Neither Sat provider offers locals in HD for the Syracuse DMA.

or option C) Take the hit or miss (well mostly miss) method of trying different aerial antennas to see if you are in a location that can pull in the OTA feeds from Syracuse. (Assuming you have a set with a built in HD tuner).

Please report back and let me know what the local office tells you, however you may want to call 1-800-8-CABLE-6. That will put you through to either the Rome or Syracuse call center. They might be able to provide you with more accurate info. I too had a big problem with how the initial install went with my service. I can say that the rep I dealt with did end up making good on the issues and applied enough credit to my account to offset the problems. Ever since then, the service has been great here. I enjoyed the All N One package for $99 the first year. That was a great deal. Then I upgraded to DVR service.. love it. Most recently, I upgraded to HD DVR and under the promotion I got the HD Tier added free for one year. The phone service is outstanding and my Roadrunner here blazes. Depending on net traffic, I get a minimum downstream of 5Mbps and a max of about 9.5 Mbps. My upstream ranges from 768kbps minimum to around 1Mbps max. The best part was when I upgraded to the HD DVR it didn't cost a cent more. I just turned in my SD box for the HD model. DirecTV wanted $299 plus a two year commit for an HD DVR plus I have 6 additional outlets and that would have been another $30 a month. (I use basic cable service for my additional rooms and it doesn't cost anymore). Overall, I've been pleased and might even up my package to the All The Best Premium package to add all the pay channels. That automatically gets me all the On Demand an HD Premiums for only $20 more a month. HBO in HD might make it worth it alone!

On a side note, I initially had Adelphia when I lived in Utica and got so fed up that I switched to Dish Network. I enjoyed the satellite service (used OTA for locals), but then I moved to Rome and looked into TWC. The sign up offer was a great deal , so I gave them a try and have been pleased. I did like the hardware/software configurations better for the sat receivers, but I'm hopeful that in time the cable boxes will evolve to be better. The next step TWC is working on out here is network/multi room DVR and digital simulcast. Multi Room DVR looks promising. It allows any other home terminal (cable box) even if it's not a DVR to utilize DVR functions. For example, I have one DVR in my home theater. Say I want a DVR in the bedroom? Instead of renting another DVR box and paying another DVR fee, I can hook a regular box in the bedroom and it will "see" the DVR hooked up out front and can record/watch programs off it. The digital simulcast is starting to take place now. TWC is moving all analog channels into the digital tier on home terminals so you can watch channels with digital clarity on the box. IE: 100% digital. I notice this because there was a time delay between my analog set in the kitchen and the digital box in the living room. There are some cool things on the horizon and I'm sure TWC in Utica wants to capitalize on the huge investment they are making in the Utica market. Alot, and I mean ALOT of people defected to sat service because Adelphia was such a rip off, so it's on Time Warner to prove that its worth it to switch back.

post #565 of 3984 Old 01-24-2007, 06:21 AM

Quote:

Well, satellite is going to be a problem either way you cut it:

A) You can't get Utica locals on satellite and probably won't. The market is too small.

B) You could say you live in Rome and set up a Rome service address, but you'd have to do a self install. However, all that will do is get you analog SD locals from Syracuse re-trans over the satellite. Neither Sat provider offers locals in HD for the Syracuse DMA.

or option C) Take the hit or miss (well mostly miss) method of trying different aerial antennas to see if you are in a location that can pull in the OTA feeds from Syracuse. (Assuming you have a set with a built in HD tuner).

What if I was to give them a service address where I was out of range for antennas? Then I would get the NY/LA broadcast feeds. My question is - are they in HD?

Will post back as soon as I get someone from local TW on the line.

post #566 of 3984 Old 01-24-2007, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't know, but last I heard they weren't to keen on giving out the national feeds and they might even require a phone line to be hooked to the sat receiver. There are really few areas around here where you would be out of range of any of the transmitters. You would most likely need waivers. A perfect example of this is WTVH, the CBS affiliate out of Syracuse. My father has Dish Network in Utica and gets all the locals OTA within the DMA, but is out of range for WTVH. They won't do a waiver and Dish won't offer it to him without the waiver. Needless to say, he will be coming up here for the Super Bowl this year... in Hi-Def of course! I know in select markets DirecTV has begun offering HD locals. I can't give you any sloid info on that, but if I find out I will post it for you.

post #567 of 3984 Old 01-24-2007, 07:44 AM

OK, finally got someone from the Utica local office for TW on the phone.

I got the contact information for the Programming Manager at the office, but he was out of the office, so I will be contacting him this afternoon and discussing the situation at length with him.

The woman who is my point person at the office for any problems I have admitted to me that she might have been misinformed and that she wasn't quite sure what the situation was, other than that fact that there has been back and forth discussions about the broadcast issue.

I'm going to try the PM first thing in the afternoon. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the support!

post #568 of 3984 Old 01-24-2007, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetdog View Post

OK, finally got someone from the Utica local office for TW on the phone.

I got the contact information for the Programming Manager at the office, but he was out of the office, so I will be contacting him this afternoon and discussing the situation at length with him.

The woman who is my point person at the office for any problems I have admitted to me that she might have been misinformed and that she wasn't quite sure what the situation was, other than that fact that there has been back and forth discussions about the broadcast issue.

I'm going to try the PM first thing in the afternoon. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the support!

GOOD LUCK! Hang tough.

Marketing Professor
Music, then Movies...
post #569 of 3984 Old 01-24-2007, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

C) Take the hit or miss (well mostly miss) method of trying different aerial antennas to see if you are in a location that can pull in the OTA feeds from Syracuse. (Assuming you have a set with a built in HD tuner).

option c is not impossible with the proper equipment, location, and most importantly....good ADVICE!
post #570 of 3984 Old 01-24-2007, 05:49 PM

I couldn't get through to the PM at the local TW office today, I will try again tomorrow morning.

A quick (I hope) sidebar: I'm looking into DirecTV. Now obviously, I can't get waivers for any of my local stations. So I'm looking into providing them w/ a NYC service address so I can get the NYC locals (in HD) passed down my stream without having to deal with any of that waiver junk. I'm under the impression that DTV has spot-beam satellites in the sky that broadcast certain local channel groups to certain areas on the map. My question is - assuming my previous impression is correct - do I, living in Utica, fall within the area where the NYC local spotbeam satellite transmits the local stations? Or will I get NYC HD locals no matter what, as they are carried on DTV's main system satellites?

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page