Syracuse / Utica, NY - HDTV - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 3984 Old 03-24-2007, 04:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Are you getting TVH over the air? I think they deliver to Time Warner via fiber, so cable would be clean...

I just got around to watching CSI:NY last night and it seemed to be almost completely fixed (every 10 - 15 minutes or so). I've changed nothing, and the signal levels are the same.

Strange. I guess it could be some weird weather related mutlipath on my setup that only affects one channel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3984 Old 03-24-2007, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Yes, I have TWC and they do have a direct fiber connection. I should have stated that.

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
post #723 of 3984 Old 03-25-2007, 04:51 PM

has anybody tried this antenna out in the utica or clinton area
Terk Low-Profile Indoor Antenna

http://www.amazon.com/Terk-Low-Profi...3055937&sr=8-1

for over the air hd channels
post #724 of 3984 Old 03-25-2007, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

You won't see anything with that. My father has an amplified aerial on his roof and he doesn't get anything watchable from Syracuse. I'm not saying it's impossible to get the HD digitals from Syracuse, but location is critical. If you have a good location like on top of Albany Hill or Deerfield Hill, you will most likely be able to pick up the Syracuse stations with a long range antenna and pre-amp. I never said it was impossible, just unlikely and for most people inconvenient. I've even posted a disclaimer on the website about it.

paul, I can , with certainty say that you will not get Syracuse HD digitals with an indoor antenna of that nature.

post #725 of 3984 Old 03-26-2007, 04:21 AM

thank you ben
post #726 of 3984 Old 03-26-2007, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbracciole View Post

has anybody tried this antenna out in the utica or clinton area
Terk Low-Profile Indoor Antenna

http://www.amazon.com/Terk-Low-Profi...3055937&sr=8-1

for over the air hd channels

paul or anyone in the syracuse/utica area.

would you consider a channel master cm4228 uhf antenna? the antenna with the best shot of receiving syracuse digital.

I have one new in the box and will sell for under $40 if anyone is interested. you would just need to take a short drive to syracuse to pick it up.

from my "favorable " location in clay, new york, utica digital came in with signal from mid 70's to low 80's with preamp.

pm if interested.
post #727 of 3984 Old 03-26-2007, 07:08 AM

Rick, just curious, how well would that work for the Auburn area?? Area code 13021. Thank you.
post #728 of 3984 Old 03-26-2007, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
the cm4228 should perform fine at your home. Antenna web hints that it should.

the cm 4228 has the highest uhf gain and is very popular.

* yellow - uhf WCNY-DT 24.1 PBS SYRACUSE NY 98° 22.3 25
* yellow - uhf WSYR-DT 9.1 ABC SYRACUSE NY 99° 27.0 17
* yellow - uhf WSTM-DT 3.1 NBC SYRACUSE NY 98° 22.3 54
* red - uhf WSYT-DT 19.1 FOX SYRACUSE NY 111° 18.4 19
* red - uhf WNYS-DT 44.1 MNT SYRACUSE NY 111° 18.4 44
* blue - uhf WTVH-DT 47.1 CBS SYRACUSE NY 96° 22.9 47

also have a 3' tripod new still in the box if you need one. was used to test different antenna/preamp combinations indoors.All you would need is a mast and coax.
post #729 of 3984 Old 04-01-2007, 07:53 AM

hey ben anything new about uticahd,or wktv and the rest of these bad network stations utica has
post #730 of 3984 Old 04-01-2007, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Paul, we haven't officially started the campaign yet and I'm continuing work on the website. Alot of progress has been made and I'm just waiting to hear back from yetdog on a few remaining things. I'm working on a contact page for Elected Officials as well. We are debating adding a petition to the site and may add other features such as a comments/feedback page. I also have to clean up and proof some of the documents listed on the media page. I wish I had more time to devote to this, but I'm extremely busy.

We are also waiting for Jeff Unaitis of Time Warner to contact us back. I have talked to people at the Firehouse Rd. Office in Utica and there is nothing they can do locally about it. I did discuss that we are working on the website in an effort to bring in the programming and they showed interest, but again it is something that has to be handled by people higher up the ladder. I will see if they will allow us to post flyers and information at the office.

That's where we stand right now. I was hoping to launch the site and start publicizing it this week, but still have a few loose ends to tie up. I assure you, this will be the first place I post when it goes "Official".

post #731 of 3984 Old 04-02-2007, 06:01 AM

Sorry to hear about all the problems the people in Utica are having. Hope things work out for you guys soon. Fortunately, we are in the Syracuse area and everything seems to be fine. We just got our first HDTV the other day and it's amazing the difference between SD and HD. We are currently watching the Today show on WSTM and it looks great! However, when they switch from NBC to WSTM for the local stuff, it looks terrible because it is in SD. Does anyone have any idea how long it will take until the locals start broadcasting their local content in HD as opposed to just passing on the network HD?
post #732 of 3984 Old 04-02-2007, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't think HD local content is a priority right now in Syracuse. Hell, in Utica people would be happy just to get the network feeds! I have no issues with SD content on WSTM or any other channel for that matter. Sure, it doesn't look as good. However, it doesn't look any worse to me than what I expect from an SD picture. On a side note, WTVH seems to have the most competent staff when it comes to HD/SD switching. Always on cue. Conversely, WSYT has the worst as they constantly screw up audio switching and format switching. (Sometimes for entire portions of a broadcast)

Back on topic, bare in mind that I have my image cast from a DLP front projector at 76". I use HDMI for all the video so it's digital in/out and optical for my audio. You may want to check the cables you are using and the settings. Poor cabling is a prime reason for degraded PQ. Now, don't take that as "You need expensive Monster Cable". There are many good vendors on the Internet who provide quality cables for about 90% less than Big Box stores are getting for the same comparable Monster Cable. I spent about $50 on cables and got all the following: 1 25' HDMI, 2 6' HDMI, a DVI to HDMI adapter, 2 6' Optical Audio Cables, and a 25' S-Video cable. All gold plated large gauge. I don't want to violate forum rules, so PM me if you need or want a link. Many of us here swear by one particular place.

post #733 of 3984 Old 04-02-2007, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I just wanted to take a moment to post this information! I hope it doesn't violate the TOS because it's not actual hardware, but service. If it does or admins don't want it posted, I will understand if they choose to remove it.

Anyone who wants to switch to Time Warner in Utica and is a current DBS customer can get a great deal by going through Direct Sales! They are free to negotiate and offer more than the standard packages. I know they did have a promo going for the $99 a month Triple Play (All The Best) for one year.

Well, I worked with a Direct Sales Rep and by bringing a current DBS bill and switching to TWC I got the following deal for my father (It's way better than what I got when I switched two years ago, but then again the Utica market is hurting for subs!)

* All The Best (Digital Cable Full Package, Digital Phone, RoadRunner Internet 5Mbps) for $99 a month for 24 months! Price is locked in.

* An HD DVR

* HBO, HBO HD, HBO On Demand for $1 a month

* HDTV Tier Free for 12 months

* A Two Handset Cordless Phone Package with Caller ID for switching from Verizon.

I don't know if this deal can still be made, because it was done in March. However, anyone looking to sign up or switch should ask to speak with a Direct Sales Rep. I should also mention that I went to see him in person at the Firehouse Road office.

post #734 of 3984 Old 04-02-2007, 02:10 PM

Hi all, Re Syracuse burbs TWC

Anyone else noticing horrible jitter/ shaking of video on HD feeds for roughtly the last month or so. It happen almost exclusively during commercial breaks, I would bet , during local breaks. I seem to remember an upgrade occurring and changing some features though i can't be specific. Anyone else experiencing this?

Thx
post #735 of 3984 Old 04-02-2007, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

HD feeds have been fine for me. The biggest issue is the techs at the station forgetting to switch between feeds. WTVH has been great, but WSYT is horrible.

post #736 of 3984 Old 04-02-2007, 06:06 PM

Thanks BenJF3 for the info! Sounds like you have a great system. I agree with you that SD on our new TV is pretty comparable to SD on our old set. It's just that going from HD to SD can be a bit frustrating. We never realized just how bad SD was until we got HD. Looking forward to more and more things going HD!
post #737 of 3984 Old 04-07-2007, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

If you live within the Utica DMA and have a High Definition TV then you want to visit www.UticaHDTV.com. Join the cause to help bring major broadcast network programming to your market.

Certain issues are still under construction at this time, but the change over to Time Warner has been completed.

We would like to gain as much support as possible and visitor feedback is always appreciated.

For all intents and purposes, the site is "officially open". I haven't heard from yetdog in awhile, but figure we can at least put it out there and get the ball rolling. As updates/information and contacts come in from Time Warner I will post them on the site.

post #738 of 3984 Old 04-07-2007, 11:18 AM

Unfortunately I haven't heard back from my TW contact on collaboration yet. I'm going to have to put a ph******* in Monday morning.

Visit UticaHDTV.com and support competition in the local marketplace!
post #739 of 3984 Old 04-07-2007, 11:22 AM

Anyone else getting all HBO channels including HBO HD for free from TWC. I was flicking through the channels last night when I noticed it. I went to TWC website and didn't see any notice. Could be a free preview or something. BTW, I'm in Auburn.
post #740 of 3984 Old 04-11-2007, 12:53 PM

ben i talked to one of the time warner supervisors,about hd networks,he said they are working on it,but can't comment on it,i mentioned your site and he said thats what we need people to call and let them know we are not happy with this
post #741 of 3984 Old 04-11-2007, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, we are waiting on Jeff Unaitis who is the regional manager for TWC. He was directly involved with the retrans agreements with the Syracuse locals. I have met with people at the Firehouse Rd. office and there really wasn't anything they could do to help right now. It has to be handled through the higher ups. yetdog is waiting on contact from Mr. Unaitis now.

post #742 of 3984 Old 04-12-2007, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I've been getting alot of feedback at other forums and here is a reply I posted at some answering some of the most frequent issues that have come up:

That's why Utica is allowed to import the CBS feed in. At one point, we heard a rumor that WFXV was just going to let its licence expire and go quietly into the night. This is the same thing we though would happen when WUTR basically closed up shop and was bought out. All those two stations do right now is pass along the network feeds with some syndication mixed in (Seinfeld, Raymond, etc.). When WUTR was bought out, the first thing they did was shut down the entire news operation and devoted those resources to the Syracuse market. Of course Utica as a whole is dying or dead for that matter. The population is about half what it was just 15 years ago. I was hoping they would just let those stations dissolve and pull the Syracuse feeds. WKTV from what I can tell, holds its own and has great coverage including well outside the DMA. I have a hard time believing that they can't afford to invest in the HD equipment needed to make it happen. I think they just don't want to because they really don't care. Again, the lack of competition from the other locals dictates that they don't need too along with the issue that HD ratings aren't tracked.

Local advertisers have pretty much integrated the two markets of Utica and Syracuse. You will see just as many commercials for Utica businesses in the Syracuse market as you will Syracuse in the Utica market. This is especially true with car dealers. I really feel that if we can't make headway with the campaign as it is, we may have to go toward a type of boycott with advertisers. This was brought up to me by the individual who originally wanted to start up the website and I though it would be better to at least give the stations some time to do right by the public. My case would be having the advertisers take their ad dollars elsewhere and wouldn't be so much of a boycott of the business as it would be a boycott of the local affiliate. We would then encourage business to advertise with cable and the Syracuse affiliates.

My other thought is looking at a possible loophole in the laws. Seeing as the Utica affiliates don't offer HD broadcast and the Syracuse affiliates do, we are exploring the fact that they are actually two separate products and thus not included within the exclusivity of the DMA. In other words, since the Utica affiliate doesn't offer the product and it is not in direct competition with the Utica analog feeds, then Time Warner should be allowed to carry it. Sinclair uses this argument and distinguishes between it's digital HD and analog SD feeds for purposes or bilking retrans for each feed as separate, so I think it should apply here.
Again, we are looking at this from every conceivable angle. I've already had some posters on Syracuse forums label this a waste of time, but I think it's worth bring up even if it's a losing battle. While kicking around ideas we even considered polling Uticans about their willingness to pay for the out of market feeds. In this case, Time Warner would add these channels to the pay HD Tier (currently $4.95) and say charge an additional dollar a month to that package. The fees would be contractually divided between the providers. So the Utica affiliates would be compensated somehow on a per sub basis. Personally, I don't think the HD penetration is big enough yet, but we need to conduct some polling to confirm this. I am against any payment for free OTA broadcasts as I've stated in other threads, but this situation warranted a look at it. I don't really think that would be the best avenue of pursuit here.

I intend, as the site traffic grows and we add more information and features, to meet with local stores (IE: Best Buy, Circuit City, Sears, Wal-Mart, Target and even small shops like Big Apple) in order to see if they will let us post info and conduct surveys/pass out flyers. I would think management at these stores would like to generate more buzz in HD because there has been so little of it in the market. My guess is that managers would have to get approval from corporate, but the small shops would deal directly with us. A simple survey of 1) Do You Own an HD set? 2)Do you plan on buying an HD set? 3) Why or why not? simple, but effective on getting the point across. Maybe we would even be able to set it up on the website so people could just take a flyer and complete the survey at their leisure.
We have many ideas to advance the cause for HD within Utica and my take is that if we don't do it, no one will! We have to light a fire under somebody's butt!

post #743 of 3984 Old 04-12-2007, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
for those with qam tuners, here's the list i've gotten so far for rome core digital service (rome, vernon, verona, oneida, canastota, etc)
anyone else find anything in the clear?

0 tw dig cable promo
0.998 on demand promo

100.1 wsyt
.2 my43

106.1 abc wsyr
.2 nbc wstm weather plus
.3 the tube
.4 nbc wstm
.5 vtv variety television

107.1 cbs wtvh
.2 cnydt create
.3 wcny (850)
.4 wcny (851)
.5 cnydt (853)

108.1 music choice r&b hip-hop

Hey, I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class
Especially since I rule.
post #744 of 3984 Old 04-20-2007, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Interesting tidbit - WTVH and WKTV are coming up to have their re-transmission pacts re-negotiated with TWC. I hope the WTVH for CBS gets done in a timely fashion because I don't want to lose that station, however, WKTV doesn't really matter and from what I understand will only affect Utica. If TWC can't cut a deal with them Utica will lose it's NBC affiliate via cable. I'm looking into the possibility of if that could cover importing the Syracuse station. I don't think it will, but I will look into it. The downside is that Utica right now stands to lose to affiliates from its lineup.

On a side note, I'm not to happy with Time Warner right now as they are pulling the same garbage that the Utica affiliates are doing. NOT RETURNING calls or emails. That pisses me off royally. At least, contact me back and let me know either way what your position is on this?????

I did an install in North Utica this week and talked to the person TWC sent over to do the cable portion of the hook up. He was from an independent contractor out of Utica located on Genesee St. I informed him of the website and the campaign to bring HD to Utica and he was interested in it. Unfortunately the computer was down and I couldn't print any flyers out to give him. I will try to find his office and give them out. If nothing else, I'd like Time Warner reps to hand out flyer so customers can learn of the issue, especially new installs and even more so, new HD installs!

post #745 of 3984 Old 04-22-2007, 09:49 AM

ben on your site,why don't we have a petition to sign for twc, chuck schumer and all the utica networks,that we want are hd networks,what do you thing about that,and as always your doing a great job
post #746 of 3984 Old 04-22-2007, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

As I stated, we are working on a contacts page for elected officials and I may add an online petition at a later date. We need to get Time Warner involved and give the stations a chance to comply with requests first because they are not breaking any rules or doing anything illegal. This will be time consuming. If we can't garner any response from the initial campaign then we will begin to "push harder" in the way of informing advertisers to take their ad revenue elsewhere and push the issue with elected officials. We are trying to be diplomatic so to speak.

On a side note, I've been extremely busy with work and haven't had much time to devote to the site lately. Right now, we need people to get flyers out and pass along information. I will attempt to get the contacts page updated with reps soon.

post #747 of 3984 Old 04-25-2007, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Just a quick update:

I sent out a mass emailing to all the Utica stations last night with return receipts and got acknowledgements from Mr. Merren (WUTR/WFXV) and Mr. Coyne (WKTV). So, they cannot deny the emails are getting bounced. However, this is not to be confused with an actual reply. NO ONE HAS WRITTEN BACK YET, only the receipt returned saying the letter was read.

On the other side, I have heard nothing from Time Warner reps and I believe yetdog hasn't been called back either. I also contacted the Utica Observer Dispatch about writing a guest editorial and they too never wrote back.

I will give another week or so and then I hit my vacation period which may give me some time to update the items for the website I've been working on. It may soon be time to turn up the pressure a little. If we can't make any headway by writing to the stations, then we go to the elected officials and if that fails we start to contact businesses that advertise and try to get them to spend there ad revenue elsewhere. These outdated laws need to be challenged and changed.

I would really appreciate feedback as to what members here are doing. Have any of you written letters or posted flyers or made phone calls? I will again call Time Warner and see if I can get a message to Jeff Unaitis.

As always, I will post any info here and on the website as it becomes available!

post #748 of 3984 Old 04-25-2007, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I finally got a follow up response from the email campaign and it is not encouraging. However, it is what I expected from these companies who fear competition big time!

Ben:

I am answering your email question to Perry Sook, CEO of Nexstar Broadcasting.

While we certainly understand your desire to consume as much television programming in HD format as possible, we cannot grant Time Warner the right to violate our copyrights.

We are not any different than any other franchisee. We have been granted a franchise by our respective networks. We have spent years building this brand for our stations. A McDonald's franchisee would not let a hamburger truck sell burgers on their parking lot, and we cannot allow an imported signal to dilute the value of our programming.

Once this right is granted, the consumer would become accustomed to having a choice, and the result would be the potential permanent loss of viewing from your home.

Our company is working at flank speed to rollout HD in our markets. At approximately 1.5M per station x 50 stations, this is a 75M project for us. To put that in perspective, that would amount to an entire year of profits, and not allow us to service our debt. Obviously our banks and shareholders would never allow that to happen.

We hope to have HD available in Utica within the next 18 months, but most certainly by the government mandated February 2009 deadline.

Duane Lammers
EVP/COO
Nexstar Broadcasting Group

General Manager
WTWO-TV
PO Box 299
Terre Haute, IN 47808
Phone: 812-696-2822
Fax: 812-696-2372
Email: dlammers@nexstar.tv

This is ridiculous! Listen to the comments this guy is making!!!! Now allow me to retort.

First: Copyrights? Nexstar holds the copyrights to ABC and FOX programs???

Second: The money issue I understand, but if they really intend on rolling out HD within 18 months you have to ask yourself why are they afraid of letting TWC carry the Syracuse feed in the meantime and take it off when the "go live"? Could it be the 18 months is a saving face figure?

Third: The McDonald's analogy is absurd (as most are - remember the Fruit Loops one from Sinclair). By these peoples standards, Burger King couldn't operate in the same area as McDonald's Also, I don't understand what he is implying saying the imported signal would dilute "their programming"?!?!? They don't produce any programming!!! It's the same shows.

Fourth: AND MOST SHOCKING is "Once this right is granted, the consumer would become accustomed to having a choice, and the result would be the potential permanent loss of viewing from your home."
THE CONSUMER SHOULD BE ACCUSTOMED TO HAVING A CHOICE!!! THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT!!!!!

It is apparent that this company embraces it's monopoly status and probably won't budge on the issue. I am going to reply to this email and explain our proposition in deeper detail. I feel we may have to do what is stated in my previous post and really go after the politicians. Of course, these station owners will probably be in HD by the time any meaningful legislation got passed. I just wanted to give an update.

post #749 of 3984 Old 04-25-2007, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuanneL4m0rz View Post

To put that in perspective, that would amount to an entire year of profits, and not allow us to service our debt. Obviously our banks and shareholders would never allow that to happen.

uhm, i'm hoping he mispoke here rather than was intentionally misdirectional
profit is AFTER debt, so if they spent all their profit the company would be break even...

Hey, I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class
Especially since I rule.
post #750 of 3984 Old 04-25-2007, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

These companies want the monopolies they have. Why do you think they fear competition so much? I mean, making a statement saying "The customer would become accustomed to having a choice is just plain arrogant IMHO! Mark my words, if they actually do go HD within the time frame given, they will most certainly use "exclusive DMA" rights to extort Time Warner for cable carriage. I will continue to pursue this, but it's really pissing me off that this kind of blatant crap is allowed to happen. I'm certain that Utica isn't on Nexstar's list of priorities. We have to face what we know to be fact: the Utica market and it's stations are crap!

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page