Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 3984 Old 06-09-2004, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mike:
Don't know what manufacturer yet. They know I REALLY like the Pace box but TWCNY has historically used SA equipment and my reading of their initial response is that it's an SA box. I'll let you folks know as soon as I can find out. I'll ask explicitly and see what I get...

mnilan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 3984 Old 06-09-2004, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mike et al.:
It is a Scientific Americam box but I can't get a model number. This is all I could get out of them at this time:

"No date for release, they've only been available for testing for a few weeks. SA will release them when the various cable companies approve them. The first round of tests has looked promising."

So it could be this month or December...

mnilan
post #93 of 3984 Old 06-10-2004, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Just an update for central NY folks...last night I went to watch Deadwood recorded from Sunday, and lo and behold, the "Record to VCR" option was now present...so it looks like we got the software push either Monday or Tuesday night. PQ looked pretty good, but I didn't really have much time to play around with many things...maybe this weekend.
post #94 of 3984 Old 06-24-2004, 03:09 PM

Liked: 12
Just wondering, I see INHD is showing some Yankees games and was wondering if they are Blackout or not?

I am with TW in Syracuse living in Oswego. I'm probably going to pick up the Sony KV-30HS420 for the bedroom and use TW with the HD box they offer. Will the pq be the same as getting the signal through ota?

What setup are you guys using for this area for ota?
Anyone heard if ESPNHD is coming to our area soon?
What is going on with FOX as far as HD heard they will have it by fall any rumors?

post #95 of 3984 Old 06-24-2004, 04:41 PM

INHD & Yankees -
They blackout both Yankees and Mets games (the channel just displays a black screen - so they literally black it out). Apparently they either expect us to travel down to NYC to see the game during the week or expect us to be satisfied with the YES network and FSNY coverage in analog LDTV. I'm not positive although I seem to recall that even the away games get the same treatment. The sales person promised my wife three high def games a week. Well, the weeks the Mets or Yankees are on they come up one or two short. Considering this is a pay channel I would expect coverage outside a 50 mile radius.

TW PQ .vs. OTA
I understand the PQ is slightly softer on the SA8000 device than OTA or non-SA8000 equipment. I also am given to believe that the latest s/w upgrade addresses this. By my eyeballing the content (Discovery HD for maximum potential vividness), it doesn't reach the level of 3D vividness I'd seen on the 3250 box when the PBS high def loop was available.

OTA -
Don't have an OTA setup - TWC is sufficient for me w/respect to network tv.

ESPNHD -
This is 'under negotiation' at the TW corporate level. When they agree to terms, all TW affiliates will have it available for offering. The stink, as I read on this forum, is that the content isn't new as compared to ESPN, just at a different definition level. So, TW doesn't want to charge a premium for it. However, I suspect that once they reach an agreement, we'll see it in the HD tier along with INHD, INHD2, etc.

FOX -
Don't know what their plans are here either - I'm hoping for 720p by fall for football season.

That's not a bug, that's a feature.
post #96 of 3984 Old 06-27-2004, 07:45 AM

Liked: 12
What is the HD box TW uses in the Oswego area? The Lady at the office had no clue so I told her to just sign me up for the 8000HD DVR and will have it on July 8th.

She said they don't hand out the HD boxes so they tech is coming to install.
If TW gets a new box that supports HDMI or DVI do I have to have the tech come out again and reinstall the new one and who do you call to set all this up?

Or will the 8000HD eventually have the DVI enabled?

post #97 of 3984 Old 06-27-2004, 08:25 AM

I have searched in this thread and have not found anyone that has mentioned anything about using Voom yet. Is there anyone in the Syracuse New York area that has it installed?
post #98 of 3984 Old 06-27-2004, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

BMLocal175:
Is your TW cable company in Oswego "TWCNY?" If so, they have two boxes that they are currently installing, the SA 8000 HD DVR (which was supposed to have been upgraded to accomodate a DVI connection in June and it is almost the end of the month but this has not happened...) or a Pace 550 (which DOES have a working DVI connection). Folks have had problems with the softness of the SA 8000 over component and the operating system for the DVR is a bit flaky, especially if you are used to something like TIVO. Seems like a mixed blessing... Go to the "HDTV Recorders" Forum and look at the "sticky" at the top of the forum on the SA 8000 to get more specific info on it. The Pace 550 which I have is prone to overheating but otherwise provides an excellent image over a DVI connection but it has no DVR. Since I have a digital display (a DLP) I am hanging on to my Pace until TWCNY has a viable DVI or HDMI box with DVR.

If you read some of the previous messages, you will see that my TW techie claims that TWCNY is currently testing another SA hi-def box with DVR capability as well as active DVI/HDMI connections and that will be what they replace the SA 8000HD with... They would not give me a date for this.

So, I would guess that on July 8th you are getting one of the SA 8000s that they already have which will NOT have DVI. They make a big deal about putting this in themselves but the technicians they sent to me for my initial HD box (an SA 3000 which had no DVI) didn't know the difference between analog and digital, much less have any understanding about the actual components. I complained vigorously and got them to send me the Pace box instead and the guy that showed up this time (sorry, it's been well over a year and I don't remember his name ) was very good indeed. I'll try to find out his name for you before July 8th... If you go ahead with the SA 8000 without DVI, you should ask them about what happens when a DVI or HDMI box becomes available to see whether you can just exchange boxes or if they have to come out and install it. I suspect that they will want to come out anyway - good training for the technicians as we (the customer) try to tell them what is really going on ...

The only high-end guy I know about is at Clark Music (on Erie Blvd in Syracuse). There is supposedly someone in Manlius but I couldn't get him to return my phone call (he is NEVER there so you have to leave a message).

Good luck!

mnilan
post #99 of 3984 Old 06-27-2004, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Folks:
I would also like to hear from anyone who has tried Voom, especially if they have any experience with TWCNY cable HD... How is the reception? How is the PQ? What are you paying per month and for what channels?

I have a bunch of trees to the south of me but I would love to get away from my $80+ TWCNY cable bill and a couple of hundred channels that I NEVER watch...

One of these days TWCNY is going to piss me off enough that I am just going to call Voom but I am a little leery of Voom since they haven't lived up to their claims yet...

mnilan
post #100 of 3984 Old 06-28-2004, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

The high initial cost of voom has kept me away, and I find I do watch enough cable channels to warrant keeping cable, I'd hate to lose a lot of the channels I watch regularly. But I really do not care for time warner in the least, their mediocre to poor hardware or their poor customer service.
Quote:

The Pace 550 which I have is prone to overheating but otherwise provides an excellent image over a DVI connection

Mine is insanely prone to overheating, and nobody at t-w will acknowledge it and help out, and I haven't been able to get a replacement Pace box (for the excellent image quality DVI). I've actually gone to the offices several times and was offered a non-DVI, non-DVR, non-optical sound box.

I fabricate computers on a fairly regular basis, usually do one high end rig a month, and several workhorse boxes. My latest passion has been silent cooling, and without applying a liquid cooled system I don't think I can make my Pace box stable. I've used system fans, and right now I have the case off and a large fan (noisily) blowing directly over the system board, and it will /still/ reboot occasionally.

Of course, with no cooling modifications, it's effectively useless, as it won't stay on for more than ten minutes without rebooting.

And t-w seemingly can't replace it, can't understand the very fundamentals of the technology they make a hefty profit from.

And this is after I moved into the city after having three different country houses with nearby cable (400feet or so in each case) that t-w wouldn't extend so I could pay them $120/mo (rr+cable).

I really don't like t-w at all imo, but of course they aren't a monopoly, just my only option as a computer power user and HD fan. Way to treat your high end customers.
post #101 of 3984 Old 06-28-2004, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Komoto:
Voom now has a zero money down offer now (although I'm sure you have to sign a contract to get that), so I am not worried about the initial costs. However, their DVR won't be available until "this fall," so upgrading may be a costly prospect. I am interested in seeing what their programming is like (i.e., quality, specific channels, proportion that is actually HD, local channels, etc.) I guess I should just go to the HD TV Programming Forum and ask some of those folks...

I agree with your assessment of TW but they are new to the HD game and those guys aren't the highest paid or best educated in the electronics field... There are a couple of guys who are knowledgeable but getting one of them is difficult. If I can't get a Voom satellite signal, I am stuck with TW because I can't get Dish or DirecTV, so I try to bite my tongue when dealing with them - no choice.

For my Pace, I keep it in a separate compartment in my equipment stand so it has plenty of room for keeping cool. Sounds like yours is really putting out heat or else has a flawed component somewhere. Bummer.

mnilan
post #102 of 3984 Old 06-28-2004, 04:15 PM

There is no contract with Voom. Unless they extend their offer you have about one more week to get a free installation.
post #103 of 3984 Old 06-28-2004, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Hmm. That's pretty compelling, I could add the Starz lineup, including HD, and the VOOM HD channels t-w doesn't carry for about what I'm paying for cable with everything but Starz right now..I'd still have to pay more for my cable modem, so overall it'd be more expensive...hmm...

Last I read there was like a $700 equipment and installation fee. That's the upfront expense I was referring to. If that's not the case, I've got some thinking to do in the next couple days!

Either way, thanks for the heads-up!
Quote:

For my Pace, I keep it in a separate compartment in my equipment stand so it has plenty of room for keeping cool. Sounds like yours is really putting out heat or else has a flawed component somewhere. Bummer.

Yeah, I have it isolated. As I mentioned, I've done quite a few custom cooling installation and all I can think is I have some bad component, which is why I'm steamed at not being able to get an exact replacement (not some lesser box w/o dvi and digital sound).
post #104 of 3984 Old 06-29-2004, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Komoto:
Well, I may have Voom out to see whether or not I CAN get their signal but I won't be doing it until they release their DVR-capable STB and I get some feedback on that... By then, it will probably be mid-winter and they won't be able to get on my roof to install the dish...

Let us know what you think however if you do get Voom.

mnilan
post #105 of 3984 Old 06-29-2004, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

BMLocal175:
The name of the knowledgable techie at TWCNY for your HD installation is Steve Tyler. He seems to really know both the cable co end and the A/V end. Nice guy too! I would suggest that you request him.

mnilan
post #106 of 3984 Old 06-30-2004, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

I guess Honkin' on Bobo isn't selling well?
post #107 of 3984 Old 07-22-2004, 05:28 PM

Hey everyone,
Just curious if anyone else has noticed this. On the TWCNY webpage (www.twcny.com), TNT HD shows up in the channel lineup as channel 821. Having seen this, I rushed down to the basement, flip on the projector and the 8000HD. But, alas, no ch 821 exists.

Has anyone heard anything from the local folks at TWCNY about TNT HD? Does their including it on the channel lineup mean that it is coming soon? Or did they just pull a channel lineup from some other market that already has TNT HD?

Mike
post #108 of 3984 Old 07-28-2004, 02:30 PM

Hey all,

Newbie here! I just bought a new Sony XBR960 and took advantage of their rebate promo to get a home theater. I'm an absolute A/V neophite. I'm trying to figure out what the heck I'm going to do for a provider. Right now I'm with TWCNY for digital cable and Road Runner. I'm not crazy about the fact that I'm dropping about $100 a month with the potential for that number to go higher. This thread has been very valuable and I'm learning a ton

Here's what I'm considering:
1. Staying with TWCNY and going to their HDTV package
2. Direct TV with HDTV in one room and regular satellite in the other 3.
3. Voom

At this point, I think Voom provides the best overall HDTV programming. DirecTV offers NFL Sunday ticket but if the Bills are blacked out that won't help me. I'm leary of TW.

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Mike
post #109 of 3984 Old 07-29-2004, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

I have a package that discounts a lot of the services TW provides, a few bucks off each movie channel and roadrunner is $35/mo. I get everything but Starz, but it's $131/mo total. The cost of feeding the beast.

I'm not leery of TW, I despise them.
post #110 of 3984 Old 07-29-2004, 08:29 AM

Is the Digipac option your using Komoto?

I also have RR so that may be an option for me. I'm wondering how long it will be before TWCNY offers the Cablecard option. That may allow me to offset the cost of the reciever as well.
post #111 of 3984 Old 07-29-2004, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah, that's it I think. What's a Cablecard option and why would it offset the cost of the receiver?
post #112 of 3984 Old 07-30-2004, 08:22 PM

For what it's worth, I talked to a TWC rep today who said that the TNT-HD announcement was premature. They're in the final stages of negotiations to carry that service. It also appears that TW discussions with ESPN have gotten serious, and TW hopes to carry ESPN-HD by the opening of football season. Whether this comes to pass is of course another matter. Needless to say, the local folks have had a ton of inquiries about ESPN-HD.
post #113 of 3984 Old 07-30-2004, 09:06 PM

Hi all!

I recently purchased the Samsung SIRT351 for OTA reception. I also purchased the Terk HDTVI antenna. I live in upper Mt. Pleasant, near Awendaw. When I tried it out, it kept stating "No Signal", no matter what I tried. I live in a three story house and tried everything from taking the antenna outside and up on the roof. I brought that antenna back to Circuit City and they suggested the Terk TV55. When I drove all the way back to Mt. P, the same thing happened. I then took the tuner and antenna to a friends house to see if I could get any reception there--no luck. I assumed the tuner was defective, so I took it back to Circuit City to explain my problems. They "tested" the tuner out and "agreed" that it was defective and let me swap it out for another one. Once again when I got home, no signal. I was getting annoyed this evening so I took the tuner and antenna with me in the car to various places in Chas. to see if I could get any reception--no luck. The guy at Circuit City suggested that I may be too close to the towers in Awendaw--that doesn't sound right to me. Any suggestions would be helpful!!! Should I go back to Circuit City tomorrow and get the Motorola model that they have. How about the Silver Sensor antenna that I've read about?? From all that I've read, Channel 5 is so powerful that I should be able to use a paper clip from this distance to the tower.

Thanks in advance,
Greg
post #114 of 3984 Old 07-30-2004, 09:07 PM

Sorry!! Wrong Board!!
post #115 of 3984 Old 08-02-2004, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Folks:
Just heard from my tehcie at TWCNY that TNT HD could go on the air this week. He is just waiting for final confirmation on the channel location. Obviously the folks who do the web site are part of a different information stream than the folks who actually do stuff... So far it looks like channel 821 will be it. Anyone heard what kind of programming they're going to have? How much is actual HD?

mnilan
post #116 of 3984 Old 08-02-2004, 07:48 AM

mnilan,
I've read from the SA8000HD thread and some other threads in the HDTV programming forum that TNT-HD has some native HD content. But, a lot of the content is upconverted content from their SD channel. But, there was some mention of them doing some good stretching of the 4:3 content into 16:9. There was a lot of comparison of the stretching of commercials between the way ESPN-HD does it and TNT-HD and the general consensus was the TNT-HD did it better. ... That's about all, since I haven't been able to see either ESPN-HD or TNT-HD.

Also, most of the discussion was when TNT-HD was broadcasting the NBA Conference Finals, which obviously was native HD content, not upconverted content.

I guess we might be able to find out in a few days! Thanks for the info!

mjf17
post #117 of 3984 Old 08-02-2004, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Well, one ray of hope: TW promised the superbowl in HD, and delivered (at the last moment). I hadn't counted on ESPN-HD by football season, that would be very cool (esp. with no FOX HD, dammit).
post #118 of 3984 Old 08-06-2004, 08:34 PM

TNT-HD is up and running on channel 821 as of August 8 at 11:30 pm. Let's hope that it has something worth watching!
post #119 of 3984 Old 08-08-2004, 07:09 AM

anyone able to get fox with a antenna?
i picked up the 30"sanyo hdtv at walmart this week, it has a digital tuner built in and i can get 3,5, 9 and 24 in hd but cant find fox.
just ordered a winegard rooftop antenna hope it gets fox in time for football.

home of the 2003 bb champs
post #120 of 3984 Old 08-08-2004, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I looked at TNT yesterday and saw a lot of commercials and SD that had been scaled up. Hope it improves...

rosconey:
Fox may be broadcasting at a fairly low level. Apparently the FCC is allowing stations to broadcast their digital signals at a greatly reduced level. I am not sure this is the case with Fox but a phone call should tell you.

mnilan
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page