Austin, TX - HDTV - Page 115 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3421 of 6938 Old 12-20-2006, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
nice, I just noticed also. Nothing like 4 hours straight of Dog the bounty hunter in HD lol. To be honest, it's nice to have the chanels, but I'd rather have some better quality programming like ESPN2, NG, or, because I'm a cubs fan, WGN HD ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3422 of 6938 Old 12-20-2006, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigaguy View Post

What does it cost, or which tier package?

Channels 16xx are part of their Digital Tier Package which I think runs $6.95/mo. It includes ESPNHD, UniversalHD, INHD, A&EHD, MHD, HDNET & HDNET Movies

TTx
post #3423 of 6938 Old 12-20-2006, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewed View Post

nice, I just noticed also. Nothing like 4 hours straight of Dog the bounty hunter in HD lol. To be honest, it's nice to have the chanels, but I'd rather have some better quality programming like ESPN2, NG, or, because I'm a cubs fan, WGN HD ;-)

I'm with you there, but seeing as we went for a LONG time without any additions, I'll be like a polite child and say thank you, may I please have another...

TTx
post #3424 of 6938 Old 12-20-2006, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttexas22 View Post

Channels 16xx are part of their Digital Tier Package which I think runs $6.95/mo. It includes ESPNHD, UniversalHD, INHD, A&EHD, MHD, HDNET & HDNET Movies

TTx

I'm using cablecard and my own Sony DVR and only get these encrypted HDs -
TNT, Universal, & Discovery. (also the networks in HD). I'll have to see if MTV or A&E show up, probably not. I thought INHD(2), HDNET and others were part of the HD Tier which is additional $ to just digital.
post #3425 of 6938 Old 12-20-2006, 10:12 AM

Quote:

I'm using cablecard and my own Sony DVR and only get these encrypted HDs -
TNT, Universal, & Discovery. (also the networks in HD). I'll have to see if MTV or A&E show up, probably not. I thought INHD(2), HDNET and others were part of the HD Tier which is additional $ to just digital.

I meant to state High Def Digital Tier, correct.
post #3426 of 6938 Old 12-20-2006, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhmcc View Post

I am also in the same situation with a Dish Network ViP622. I have a Winegard SquareShooter SS-2000 outdoor HD antenna (amplified). All my local HD channels are great except for Fox. It's very frustrating because when I first got this installed (around September) Fox didn't work, then for about 1 month it was fine, then went bad again.

I'm subscribing to this thread with the hopes that we will have a solution by the time the BCS games (which are all on Fox, except for the Rose Bowl) start on January 1st.

Brett

I just got Dish and the ViP622 last week, and the Winegard SquareShooter today. I was frustrated in not being able to find Fox (shows up in the HD channel search, but I can't get to it in the guide or through direct entry) until finding this thread. Now I see why. Hopefully it gets resolved soon.
post #3427 of 6938 Old 12-20-2006, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttexas22 View Post

TTx

Per TW's website all of the following are included in the "High Definition" lineup which I believe is included with any digital cable subscription at no extra cost.
  • The local channels
  • Discovery HD-Theater
  • TNT-HD
  • A&E HD
  • MTV-HD
  • Some sports channels, minus ESPNHD

The "High Definition Tier" is what costs 6.95/mo and includes...
  • ESPNHD
  • Universal HD
  • INHD
  • INHD2 (although is is going away soon)
  • HDNET
  • HDNET Movies

So it looks like everyone just got A&E and MTVHD for free... of course there was just a rate hike a month or so back so i guess it depends on how you look at it.

--------------------------------------------------------------
SA 8300HD - SARA 1.88.17.a100 - TWC Austin, TX
post #3428 of 6938 Old 12-21-2006, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netsean02 View Post

Per TW's website all of the following are included in the "High Definition" lineup which I believe is included with any digital cable subscription at no extra cost.
  • The local channels
  • Discovery HD-Theater
  • TNT-HD
  • A&E HD
  • MTV-HD

• ESPNHD
  • Universal HD
  • INHD
  • HDNET
  • HDNET Movies

So it looks like everyone just got A&E and MTVHD for free... of course there was just a rate hike a month or so back so i guess it depends on how you look at it.

Huh?

I pay $9.95 for the HD tier. Am I getting the shaft?

Samsung UN65ES6500
Onkyo TX-NR809
Sony Blu-Ray BDP-S590
Boston Acoustic VR 30 Fronts
Boston Acoustic VR 20 Surrounds
Boston Acoustic VR10 Center
Energy ESW-310 Subwoofer
post #3429 of 6938 Old 12-21-2006, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netsean02 View Post

• The local channels
  • Discovery HD-Theater
  • TNT-HD
  • A&E HD
  • MTV-HD

• ESPNHD
  • Universal HD
  • INHD
  • HDNET
  • HDNET Movies

How am I getting Universal HD without subscribing to the HD Tier?
post #3430 of 6938 Old 12-21-2006, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSZsr View Post

Huh?

I pay $9.95 for the HD tier. Am I getting the shaft?

No, it's just cheaper if you get their phone or internet too.
post #3431 of 6938 Old 12-21-2006, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

No, it's just cheaper if you get their phone or internet too.

Note that if you DO get phone and internet you have to *call them* and ask to be put on the 'all the best' plan. This saved me $12 a month and added the HD Tier...

xnappo
post #3432 of 6938 Old 12-21-2006, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Since all new (and some older) TW channels are switched you can not get them with cablecards. I'm filing a complaint with TWC because I feel they should not provide cablecards if they are making channels untunable with cablecard. plus they can not get one of mine to work properly.
post #3433 of 6938 Old 12-22-2006, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpy View Post

How am I getting Universal HD without subscribing to the HD Tier?

I'm not positive but I think Universal HD was added at no cost for the Olympics back in February. Maybe it has something to do with that? It definitely is listed as part of the "High Definition Tier" on TWC's website.

Moving on: Has anyone heard anything about ESPN2HD being picked up by TWC-Austin? I know there was a lot of talk on the boards about Albany, NY getting it earlier in the week.

--------------------------------------------------------------
SA 8300HD - SARA 1.88.17.a100 - TWC Austin, TX
post #3434 of 6938 Old 12-25-2006, 02:14 PM

Anyone been having issues with ABC OTA lately? Lately my signal has been flucuating from 60 to about 40 and is starting to cut out at times. Haven't messed with my antennae and the station used to come in perfect if the signal was even as low as 30.
post #3435 of 6938 Old 12-26-2006, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

I saw on TWC 1512 that the KVUE Weather channel is going away from TWC. It mentions a "communications rule." Anyone have any idea what this is. Is this TWC making the change or truly a government rule change?

I mainly use OTA for my HD viewing, but am still curious.

I had this same question. Isn't it just multicasting, using 720p for the main station and 480i for the weather one? I thought that was perfectly fine. Unless multicasting is going to be disallowed, what guidelines would this be in (future) violation of?
post #3436 of 6938 Old 12-26-2006, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
seems that the KVUE weather channel will remain if you are using OTA, but go away on cable...hmmm....

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #3437 of 6938 Old 12-26-2006, 08:05 AM
rad
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfram9999 View Post

I had this same question. Isn't it just multicasting, using 720p for the main station and 480i for the weather one? I thought that was perfectly fine. Unless multicasting is going to be disallowed, what guidelines would this be in (future) violation of?

FYI, KVUE isn't 720P but 1080I. Their corporate owners have directed this, it's out of KVUE's hands.
post #3438 of 6938 Old 12-26-2006, 10:42 AM

Really? Did that change recently? I could've sworn it used to be 720p, but then, I haven't watched it OTA in a while.
post #3439 of 6938 Old 12-26-2006, 10:59 AM

Quote:

seems that the KVUE weather channel will remain if you are using OTA, but go away on cable...hmmm....

Ahh, somebody else has noticed this. I just found the message on the scroll bar this morning, so I called them. The person I talked to said that problem was the FCC has dictated that every multicast channel must have 3+ hours of "family/child friendly" programming, so all the weather channels (not just on cable, but OTA too) must disappear - So let it be written, so let it be done. Thanks FCC for making things worse. If I ever suffer extreme cranial trauma from a blunt force injury, leaving me in a vegetative state, I plan to apply to be an FCC commissioner.

Does anybody have any more info on this new random FCC vector? Does that mean that KLRU-HD will have to shut down permanently because there's no time for 3 hours of "family/kid friendly" programming during their 6 hour day? Does that mean the Home Shopping Channel will be going dark (Oh, please God!)? Is this an attempt to kill off all OTA so that 2009 passes with a whimper since there will be no free TV any more?

Seriously, I'd settle for any information - or point me to a national thread?

Andrew

[Added] I found this: http://www.hallikainen.com/FccRules/2007/73/671/
which requires 3 hours/week for once channel, and if I read it correctly, 3 more hours per week for each multicast channel. Genius! Pure genius I say! Bring on the big hammer, aim for my forehead: FCC here I come!
post #3440 of 6938 Old 12-26-2006, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess KXAN/KVNA will get rid of theirs, too (36-2, 54-2), so I guess I'm going to buy a NOAA weather radio. Was nice to be able to see the radar and here the weather alerts without firing up my computer in the middle of the night. At least with the radio, I will be able to hear the alerts.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #3441 of 6938 Old 12-26-2006, 02:59 PM

Quote:

Since all new (and some older) TW channels are switched you can not get them with cablecards. I'm filing a complaint with TWC because I feel they should not provide cablecards if they are making channels untunable with cablecard. plus they can not get one of mine to work properly.

Time Warner sent out a letter to all CableCARD subscribers last week letting us know that they're moving a bunch of channels to switched video next year, and I noticed that I can't tune A&E or MTVHD with my new TiVo series 3.

This was the last straw - I just got off the phone with Grande, and they're coming out on Thursday to install my new (non-switched) cable service. I'm done with Time Warner, and I'm going to tell everybody I know the same thing - I know a bunch of people who are considering moving to a Series 3 tivo, and TW is probably going to lose their business.
post #3442 of 6938 Old 12-26-2006, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess KXAN/KVNA will get rid of theirs, too (36-2, 54-2), so I guess I'm going to buy a NOAA weather radio. Was nice to be able to see the radar and here the weather alerts without firing up my computer in the middle of the night. At least with the radio, I will be able to hear the alerts.

Seems that KXAN has turned off both of their weather channels (or they are having problems). Guess a trip to HEB for a weather radio is in store

Wonder if this means that the KXAN / KNVA HD signal...especially KNVA gets any better....maybe they can show the MyNetworkTV shows in HD like they do in Waco....pretty sad that Waco is ahead of Austin in technology.

My Little Theater
post #3443 of 6938 Old 12-27-2006, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpratt View Post

Time Warner sent out a letter to all CableCARD subscribers last week letting us know that they're moving a bunch of channels to switched video next year, and I noticed that I can't tune A&E or MTVHD with my new TiVo series 3.

This was the last straw - I just got off the phone with Grande, and they're coming out on Thursday to install my new (non-switched) cable service. I'm done with Time Warner, and I'm going to tell everybody I know the same thing - I know a bunch of people who are considering moving to a Series 3 tivo, and TW is probably going to lose their business.

Are you going to get more HD channels with Grande? I imagine they have the same bandwidth issue - though I think TWC wastes a few QAM frequencies with INDemand junk.

My impression is that cable operators have three choices to add lots more HD:

1. Do away with analog completely (require STBs for every TV)
2. Go switched
3. Compress HD with MPEG4 - new boxes for all(though I haven't heard of any cable cos going this route - this is what DISH is doing).

What is Grande's plan?

xnappo
post #3444 of 6938 Old 12-27-2006, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

1. Do away with analog completely (require STBs for every TV)

I can see cable companies slowly going this route after 2009. OTA analog will go away so for local networks cable co's will need to convert the digital signal to analog if they wish to continue analog.

A STB for every TV may not be necessary. They could always place the "standard" package in the clear so that anyone with a QAM tuner in their TV could tune them without a STB (much like today's analog). Anyway, one can dream

My Little Theater
post #3445 of 6938 Old 12-27-2006, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A STB for every TV may not be necessary. They could always place the "standard" package in the clear so that anyone with a QAM tuner in their TV could tune them without a STB (much like today's analog). Anyway, one can dream

Quite true... I think TWC really is between a rock and a hard place right now with high-end customers screaming for more HD channels and low end customers who would scream bloody murder if analog channels were removed.

I do think they use the bandwidth issue as an excuse for inability to negotiate contracts - which muddies the waters - but it is a real issue to some degree.

xnappo
post #3446 of 6938 Old 12-28-2006, 10:32 AM

Quote:

Seems that KXAN has turned off both of their weather channels (or they are having problems). Guess a trip to HEB for a weather radio is in store

Yep, looks like KVUE is holding out to the last minute. Here is the official FCC web site where they explain that they are doing it for the children.
http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/childtv.html

Quote:

Wonder if this means that the KXAN / KNVA HD signal...especially KNVA gets any better....maybe they can show the MyNetworkTV shows in HD like they do in Waco....pretty sad that Waco is ahead of Austin in technology.

Nope. They promised this 3 months ago, but as usual, more promises to be broken. KNVA is one of 4 hybrid CW & MyNetworkTV stations in the country. So the MNTV programming is delayed an hour for the CW programming during prime time. Because of this, they must store and replay the MNTV network feed, rather than rebroadcast it live like Waco. Unfortunately, nobody realized they would need actual HD equipment to do this properly. And after a few months, when they did figure it out, the mighty, mighty Lin Corporation mega-broadcast empire monolith seems unwilling to shell out the few kilobucks necessary to actually purchase the equipment. Lin is such a third-rate minor player in the business, it's no wonder they only own francises in small markets like Austin. Compared to the SF Bay Area, the OTA market here is like Mayberry, RFD. I had 2 or 3 dozen digital channels OTA to choose from; early on, one of the locals used to broadcast HDNet during the non-prime time hours when ther was no network feed. It just seems that as time goes on, ATSC is slowly going backwards to the point of inconsequence. Hurray for DTV & TWC! It's Comcastic!
post #3447 of 6938 Old 12-28-2006, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewg@16paws View Post

So the MNTV programming is delayed an hour for the CW programming during prime time. Because of this, they must store and replay the MNTV network feed, rather than rebroadcast it live like Waco.

That's strange, because last night at 9PM, I switched onto the Waco Channel that carries MNTV (Fox 44) and they were showing the 9PM program in HD. About 2 minutes behind that was the Austin CW broadcast of the same show (In SD of course). So, yes technically they were behind, but it was still at the same time. Maybe Waco can afford the HD equipment and the Austin station can't??

I guess I will get a stronger antenna and watch all my NBC, CW, and MNTV from the Waco channels. I can pick up the Waco CW (10-2) consistantly, but NBC (9-1) and MNTV (44-1) tend to lose signal with a strong south wind.

Bye bye KXAN/KNVA...from a former contractor...back in the days they were still a good station.

My Little Theater
post #3448 of 6938 Old 12-30-2006, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpratt View Post

i'm interested to hear anyone's views on Grande

"Why am I Mr. Pink?"
post #3449 of 6938 Old 12-30-2006, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joffer View Post

i'm interested to hear anyone's views on Grande

My daughter had Grande for a year while living in an apartment in their service area. She had the three pack of phone, cable and internet. No problems and she liked their service. She didn't have HD, however so I can't address that.

GH
post #3450 of 6938 Old 01-01-2007, 07:49 AM

Whenever I try to watch a Dallas Mavericks or Dallas Stars game on FSSW (Dish ch. 416) I get a message stating the event is blacked out in my area. But from what I understand this shouldn't be the case, as FSSW is our regional sports channel and the games are carried on cable's FSSW. Is this something correctable with a call to Dish Network, or am I wrong on this?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page