Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 6927 Old 02-17-2004, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by bigbevo2k
Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction to get some help with really using the 8000HD to my advantage.

I also have a Sony which supports split-screen. You're not really going to be able to use both of those screens out of the 8000HD. What I have is a splitter on the RF coax so that I can watch unscrambled (analog) channels in one screen and the output from the cable-box (aka 8000HD) in the other screen. That works well for some things, but is clearly limiting. Your only other option would be to add another 3250HD type of box after that splitter so that you could watch any channels you wanted on both screens. (Two 8000HD's would be crazy IMO.)

Barry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 6927 Old 02-17-2004, 09:56 PM

How do you hard reboot the 8000hd?
post #363 of 6927 Old 02-17-2004, 11:09 PM

unplug it for ~1 minute

The money pit:
$3800 spent sofar :p
post #364 of 6927 Old 02-18-2004, 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by utstimpy
svideo is currently not enabled.

you can run a seperate coaxial from the wall to use for PIP, but then you are limited to 2-98. (You know the 8000HD has PIP built in right?)

Yeah I know, but its not "as cool" and the one sony has
post #365 of 6927 Old 02-18-2004, 09:57 AM

I'm interested in any experiences (or if its even possible) of persons running a standalone Tivo along with the 8000HD. I heard mention of the svidio not being enabled. If true, this would be a problem. Then of course you have the problem of the boxes having conflicting record schedules....

Probably the only solution is to have two cable boxes...?
post #366 of 6927 Old 02-18-2004, 10:07 AM

My mundane solution is a cable splitter. Sure, TiVo can't record the digital channles, but more than makes up for it by *always* recording the right thing.
post #367 of 6927 Old 02-18-2004, 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bigbevo2k
Yeah I know, but its not "as cool" and the one sony has

Yeah, my Hitachi does the side-by-side stuff PIP also... Definitely much better then the 8000HD built-in PIP... To get all the channels, and not just 2-98, you could pay for a second cable box to attach to the second input on your tv... Only problem with this solution is that both cable boxes work on the same remote control codes, so changing one boxes channel with the remote control would change it on both... You would either have to put the boxes in different parts of the room, or change channels on one of them by getting up off the couch and doing it by hand on the front of the box...
post #368 of 6927 Old 02-19-2004, 12:10 AM

On a follow-up, my 8000HD has been issue-free for 4 days now. I had wonderful luck with my old 3100HD, so hopefully all the problems are over for now.
post #369 of 6927 Old 02-19-2004, 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by eochs
You would either have to put the boxes in different parts of the room, or change channels on one of them by getting up off the couch and doing it by hand on the front of the box...

Did you say "get up".....gasp
post #370 of 6927 Old 02-19-2004, 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by RobertCooper
Mark,

Please check the huge link in the first post. You will see that KVUE is broadcasting at a respectible power level. Unless you live in some sort of "no-mans-land" for ABC's transmission pattern, you should receive ABC no problem.

Try tweaking your antenna directions a bit... that may help. Make sure you have done an AUTO scan, or check channel 24 or 33.

Also, check to see if you can get PBS.... it is at a similar power to ABC, and it's on the same tower.

If none of those work... well... ask for more help and I'll do more thinking.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!

Robert:
Please check the ERP power of KLRU. I think they may now be broadcast at 700KW.
Regs.,
Smags

"THEE" RF source.
post #371 of 6927 Old 02-19-2004, 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by chris_fowler99
It appears that at least a few of you are getting good (at least reasonable) OTA HD reception in Georgetown.

I should be closing on my new house tomorrow in southwest Georgetown, off of Leander Road (2243). I'll be picking up a 61" Samsung DLP HDTV as I move, moving my DirecTV over and setting up an OTA antenna. The problem is I have no idea which antenna to buy.

According to AntennaWeb I need blue-uhf to get WB and violet-uhf to get PBS, ABC and NBC all at 189 degrees (what about FOX and CBS? )

I plan on getting an outdoor antenna. Can anyone recommend an antenna and maybe an installer?

Winegard undoubtedly makes some of the finest antennas made. This one is new and compact. Check it out: http://winegard.com/offair/squareshooter.htm .

Smags

"THEE" RF source.
post #372 of 6927 Old 02-19-2004, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Everyone... just wanted to let you know that I am lame. Another member on here sent me an excellent TWC summary for the Temple/Kileen area so I could add to my summary, and I haven't gotten around to it. Sorry about that... (especially those from the Kileen area looking for info).

Also, Smags gave a bit of info that probably needs updating too (KLRU power).

Anywho... I should be able to get to it this weekend. Been real busy lately. But I have been scanning all the SA 8000 posts.
post #373 of 6927 Old 02-20-2004, 12:46 PM

I picked up my 8000HD box the other day and was VERY disappointed to see that it did not output in both HD AND analog. I HATE that because as everyone knows there are far more 4:3 broadcasts then there are widescreen. To add insult to injury, the stretch mode from the 8000HD SUCKS! The one I have on my set is far better (in fact it was one of the reasons I spent the extra $$ on a pioneer elite). So how can I wire this thing so that I get both analog output from the box AND HD? Thus far the only solution I have found is to lower the resolution output from the 8000HD to 480 so that I can again use the stretch mode on my set. (My set will only allow me to stretch channels that are not broadcast in 1080i)

Thanks!
post #374 of 6927 Old 02-20-2004, 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sortasuave
blah blah blah... So how can I wire this thing so that I get both analog output from the box AND HD? blah blah blah

wait about a month until they release an update that allows pass-thru

The money pit:
$3800 spent sofar :p
post #375 of 6927 Old 02-21-2004, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

All,

I've updated the summary to include the TWC channels for KILEEN/TEMPLE area!

It should be accurate as it was sent to me by a resident in that area... but if someone discovers and error, let me know.
post #376 of 6927 Old 02-22-2004, 03:31 PM

Does anyone has trouble to receive WB in their digital channel in the past few days? I was able to receive it yesterday afternoon for awhile. However, from yesterday evening 'til today, blank screen all the time.

Also, sometimes it shows 49-1, and sometimes it show 54-1. What's happening here?

Many thanks.
post #377 of 6927 Old 02-22-2004, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

More updates for Killeen/Temple based on some more info I recieved. Thanks to everyone for their input.
post #378 of 6927 Old 02-23-2004, 07:09 AM

I just switched from the HD package over to HBO with HBOHD on Time Warner this weekend. However, I heard that HBOHD was out in my area and I got no signal. Anyone else have issues with HBOHD this last weekend? I live in South Austin 78748 It's kinda funny the only Sex in the City episode I've ever seen was the last one....but at least wanted to see it in HD..

-chris
post #379 of 6927 Old 02-23-2004, 09:41 AM

Sex and the City is not in HD so you didn't miss much.
post #380 of 6927 Old 02-23-2004, 10:47 AM

Sex in the City is in SD format...notice the bars on the side?
post #381 of 6927 Old 02-23-2004, 09:44 PM
Ahn

ABC and PBS OTA signals are very weak....also I'm getting KLRU-DT from FOX(7-1) with mosaic....normally I get Fox signal.

Something happend at the tower during thunderstorm? Anybody with the same problem?
post #382 of 6927 Old 02-24-2004, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey Rob, I'm pretty sure that KWKT, the Waco FOX, is up at a whopping 1 kW. http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=KWKT

- Brian
post #383 of 6927 Old 02-25-2004, 08:49 AM

Does anyone have any idea if or when TWC will broadcast ESPNHD?
post #384 of 6927 Old 02-25-2004, 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by onyx LS1
Does anyone have any idea if or when TWC will broadcast ESPNHD?

Not even TWC knows. They are in 'ongoing negotiations' which never means 'soon'.

You can bet that once an agreement is reached, it will be posted on TW's web site, and reposted here and on the cable Yahoo! group.
post #385 of 6927 Old 02-26-2004, 10:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Please excuse the interruption from someone who's not actually in Austin. I'm working with Dish Network and the 921 software development team trying to determine why various stations around the country are causing the Dish 921 problems. One of these stations is KEYE in Austin.

Does anyone participating in this thread have an HD PC recording card (MyHD, Hipix, AccessDTV, etc) available that would be willing to send me a 1 or 2 minute recording from KEYE? I will then send the recording on to Dish Network where they will analyze the transport stream to determine what is different about KEYE's signal from most of the rest of the country. I have an FTP site set up to receive the recorded transport stream file(s).

If you can help me out, please PM me here, or send me an email at markdl@dbstalk.com Thanks in advance for the help!

Mark Lamutt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- A Proud Member of the AVS Community
post #386 of 6927 Old 02-26-2004, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mark,

I have a HiPix and can send you a file tonight when I get home. Does it matter if it is HD or not or would any digital signal work? Do you want a recent file and an old one to compare or has the problem always existed?

Murray
post #387 of 6927 Old 02-26-2004, 12:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Thanks for the reply, Murray.

I've already got a volunteer sending me a recording from a MyHD card from KEYE tonight, but if I need another one, I'll definitely be in contact.

The problem has existed for the 921 since it was released in December. The 921 can't record or use the DVR functions on these problem stations, and I'm pretty convinced that there's something in the PSIP stream that's causing the problems for the 921. That's what we're trying to track down with this.

Mark Lamutt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- A Proud Member of the AVS Community
post #388 of 6927 Old 02-28-2004, 10:05 AM

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post after lurking around for quite some time. I wanted to give an update of my findings in the Cedar Park/Lakeline area. I have D* with the locals on OTA. I purchased a "Silver Surfer" at the Lakeline Best Buy (39.99) and now get all of the locals in HD, except FOX. I just set the thing on top of my Mitsubishi big screen and pointed it in the 159 - 160 degree range and it worked like a charm.

I have a couple of stupid questions from a relatively new HD enthusiast:

1. How are people measuring signal strength? Does it come from your TV, or do you have some type of measuring device?

2. Is anyone in Austin actually getting the FOX HD national feed for D* (and for that matter CBS)? I had heard all the O & O stations across the US would have it, but I have not seen where anyone has actually been able to swing that deal.

3. What exactly is the TWC HD lineup? Are they offering the locals in HD? This would be a major consideration for me to switch, if it was so.

4. I am hearing that the hard drive HD PVR for TWC is only 160G, that seems awfully small for the large amount of space that any HD program would take up. What is the actual recording time capacity for HD programming? (The new DirecTivo HD is going to have 250G.)

Thanks in advance for the info, this forum really is the best place on the internet for any type of technical discussion.
post #389 of 6927 Old 02-28-2004, 10:31 AM

I have another question for the D* folks in Austin: How many of you have been able to get the waiver from CBS for HD? The guys at D* told me that only about 20% of the waivers have been getting approved. Makes me nervous...
post #390 of 6927 Old 02-28-2004, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by BDIAS
Hello Everyone,

I have D* with the locals on OTA. I purchased a "Silver Surfer" at the Lakeline Best Buy (39.99) and now get all of the locals in HD, except FOX.

3. What exactly is the TWC HD lineup? Are they offering the locals in HD? This would be a major consideration for me to switch, if it was so.

Fox does not offer HD. If you can get all the local HD stations OTA, why would TWC HD be a "major consideration"?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page