post #631 of 6925 Old 05-02-2004, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Driver
Ok,

Here's a thought (guerilla warfare on the multi-zone front): Find a 70's or 80's clunker of a RV, something that could be had for just a few hundred dollars. Buy it, get the title, and then send it to the trash heap. I mean if a similar tactic works for parents and getting their kids into a better school district...

Just a thought FWIW.. There's more than one way to skin a cat. Any ethical dilema it may pose is another thing, but I don't beleive local stations should control what we receive if we are willing to pay for it.

Ha! Damn good idea. Yup, always more than one way to skin the cat.

As far as the ethical dilemma, I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep over it. I pay enough $$ every month that I feel I am entitled to locals carried by D*.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 6925 Old 05-02-2004, 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mitchrc
The problem is you are not paying the local station, you're paying DirecTV.

I took it that he meant we are paying D* but we can not see the East/West feeds carried by D* because of the local stations worrying about competition.
post #633 of 6925 Old 05-02-2004, 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mitchrc
The problem is you are not paying the local station, you're paying DirecTV.

Your statement makes it sound like the locals aren't getting paid for providing their uplink to DirecTV which I'm sure they are. And when Fox-Austin stands in the way of all its over the air HD customers why shouldn't I or anyone else be able to get that feed from outside the area if it becomes available? It just all boils down into a pissing contest over 'territory'.

We have the local feed for Austin channels, we also have the E/W feed for 2 of those and our time has a inherent value. I think it would be great if the local stations used their 2nd Digital channel to rebroadcast prime time with a 2-3 hr delay but that isn't going to happen, they'd rather put up weather radar. So short of several vcr's or PVR's we can only watch 1 out of 5 or so network feeds each evening potentially missing as much as 4 other shows we might otherwhise watch on any given night, god forbid something comes on a premium channel at the same time like StarGate, The Shield, Sopranos or whatever. Insert fight with the spouse or kids here for the remote or send them off to another room to watch the secondary set. We are not back in the 60's here, it's 2004! There is technology out there that works for us, why should'nt we be able to use it the way we want to without a lousy gov't regulation getting in our face? After all, we don't watch the commercials anyway and if we TIVO/RePlay it we definitely skip right by...

Driver
post #634 of 6925 Old 05-02-2004, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Your statement makes it sound like the locals aren't getting paid for providing their uplink to DirecTV which I'm sure they are. And when Fox-Austin stands in the way of all its over the air HD customers why shouldn't I or anyone else be able to get that feed from outside the area if it becomes available? It just all boils down into a pissing contest over 'territory'.

They aren't.

Quote:

We have the local feed for Austin channels, we also have the E/W feed for 2 of those and our time has a inherent value. I think it would be great if the local stations used their 2nd Digital channel to rebroadcast prime time with a 2-3 hr delay but that isn't going to happen, they'd rather put up weather radar. So short of several vcr's or PVR's we can only watch 1 out of 5 or so network feeds each evening potentially missing as much as 4 other shows we might otherwhise watch on any given night, god forbid something comes on a premium channel at the same time like StarGate, The Shield, Sopranos or whatever. Insert fight with the spouse or kids here for the remote or send them off to another room to watch the secondary set. We are not back in the 60's here, it's 2004! There is technology out there that works for us, why should'nt we be able to use it the way we want to without a lousy gov't regulation getting in our face? After all, we don't watch the commercials anyway and if we TIVO/RePlay it we definitely skip right by...

Because there's a thing called intellectual property rights and the local station in your market owns the rights to the shows they show in your market and they can distribute them in a time and manner that pleases them. I agree with you that all of the above is true. It's not that they would prefer to put up weather radar, if they did a time shift they would be airing a program a second time and they would have to pay the program owner for that airing. The audience would be miniscule, and besides your zapping right through their revenue generator anyway so why would they be motivated to provide that service?

It might come as a shock to you, but you're watching free TV! You get what you pay for.

Mitch
mitchrc@mac.com
post #635 of 6925 Old 05-06-2004, 06:31 AM

I was able to pick up KLRU (18-1 through 18-4) fine on my Samsung TS-160 for months, but lately when I tune to those channels they are dark with 0% signal strength. All other OTA is fine for me (well, of course not 7-1...). I have gone into the setup menus and re-scanned for OTA, reset my local antenna station list, rebooted the unit, but the KLRU channels are still not coming in. I was over at a friend's house last weekend, and he was pulling in 18-1 fine.

Is 18-1 going on and off the air? Do I somehow need to reset my receiver?

-NRJ
post #636 of 6925 Old 05-06-2004, 09:56 AM

KLRU still OK here OTA 0.9mi. from tower--silver sensor into TS-160. (Except still same crappy SD stuff...). Might call them up, as they may be trying to see what little signal strength they can get by with....
Cheers,
AMc
post #637 of 6925 Old 05-07-2004, 05:47 AM

KLRU 18.1 still OK down here at Brodie&Slaughter. But yep same old ****** SD signal. They really piss me off w/ their "were going HD in 2 days.." BS. They haven't busted a grape IMO !
post #638 of 6925 Old 05-07-2004, 05:55 AM

Well, I have to believe something's screwed up in the TS-160's digital channel mapping for 18-*. I get every other station with 90-100% signal strength and their transmitters are all on that same hill. I get 18's analog signal OTA fine.

I have gone in to the setup menu, changed my ZIP code and told it my local networks are for San Antonio, then let it reboot and re-choose for me which local channels I should be able to find. I then switched back to Austin, figuring that if somehow it wasn't mapping correctly 18-1 to 22-1 under the covers that resetting the local networks like this might fix that. No dice. If I try to tune to 22-1 manually, it tells me that's a satellite channel and doesn't try to tune it OTA.

Any experts out there with the TS-160 with suggestions?

-NRJ
post #639 of 6925 Old 05-08-2004, 12:32 PM

Can someone direct me as to whom I should contact at KVUE to get them to turn the HDTV switch for the NHL conference finals game now airing? The announcers mentioned it was being broadcast in HDTV but I am not receiving it that way.

Thanks,
Clark
post #640 of 6925 Old 05-08-2004, 12:37 PM

Ah, nevermind, they just switched it.
post #641 of 6925 Old 05-08-2004, 12:38 PM

Just called mike and left a message....
but as I am typing this it looks like they got it fixed.
post #642 of 6925 Old 05-08-2004, 07:35 PM

[quote]Originally posted by ClarkInNwAustin
[b]Can someone direct me as to whom I should contact at KVUE to get them to turn the HDTV switch..."

Hi Clark,
I had the same question, until I clicked on our guru's(Robert Cooper) Central Texas HDTV Status/Summary.

Once there, click on the Blue-colored station call-letters of your choice,(e.g.: KLRU). POW! You're at that engineer's e-mail address, ready-to-post! Whatta deal!
FWIW,
AMc
PS: Gotta ask. How did you do that?
A.
post #643 of 6925 Old 05-09-2004, 05:59 PM

The email link? It's a mailto: link. When you click on a link starting with http:, your web browser opens that page. When you click on a link starting with mailto:, your email address program starts an email to that address.

Quote:

Originally posted by a.macree
PS: Gotta ask. How did you do that?

post #644 of 6925 Old 05-10-2004, 03:55 PM

Is there a way to switch the TW SA 8000HD box from 1080i to 480i using the remote (i.e. without having to hit buttons on the converter box itself)?

Thanks.
post #645 of 6925 Old 05-10-2004, 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by harrellh
Is there a way to switch the TW SA 8000HD box from 1080i to 480i using the remote (i.e. without having to hit buttons on the converter box itself)?

Thanks.

Assuming you've configured your box to support both 1080i and 480i using the Info/Guide converter box buttons, you just need to press Settings, then Up four times, and you'll be able to adjust the display mode. Not a bad workaround until passthrough is available.
post #646 of 6925 Old 05-11-2004, 05:01 AM

Sorry, I wasn't detailed enough.

I have my HD projector connected to the component out, and my SD TV connected to the coax (RF) out. When I watch HD, I need to set the box to output 1080i over component, and when I watch TV it needs to output 480i from the coax. Note that they are NOT both active at the same time, so I have to switch depending on what I am watching.

The only way I have been able to do this is by hitting INFO and GUIDE on the box, then setting the box to 1080i (which uses the component out) or 480i (which uses the coax RF out). The 1080i (HD) setting disables the coax RF out (even if I select a lower resolution from the SETTINGS menu).

So really what I am asking is how to selectively enable the component output or the coax RF output (since they are not both on at the same time) using the remote control. So far I have not found a way, since the box must be off when the INFO and GUIDE buttons are simultaneously pushed.

Also, anyone aware of a future firmware release that might allow this, or enable coax RF out even when component out is active? Will passthrough do this?

H
post #647 of 6925 Old 05-11-2004, 06:05 AM

F Y I
Posted this twice in the last 2 days, but started a new thread by mistake.
I received this info from the TWC e-newsletter on May 7, 2004

Coming Soon! TNT-HD Network
Beginning May 21, 2004, Time Warner Cable will add the high-definition version of Turner Network Television (TNT). The new network, TNT HD, will debut with the National Basketball Association Western Conference Finals in HD .

It will also feature a mix of true HD content, including NBA and NASCAR events and originals. TNT plans to make its original shows in HD, beginning with the terrorism drama The Grid, a series slated to debut this summer.
post #648 of 6925 Old 05-11-2004, 12:55 PM

I need opinions from anyone that has TWC in Austin with the SA3250 HD box, plus a Samsung DLP. I know it is subjective, but how would you rate
the SD viewing ?

I have been **waiting** for over a year to purchase a Samsung DLP,
still waiting for the HLP** line to be announced with details.

Thanks
post #649 of 6925 Old 05-12-2004, 02:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
I also have a question on the SA3250HD for TWC Austin subscribers. Is anyone using this STB yet with Firewire enabled? It looks like many other markets have functioning Firewire outputs now. Thanks.

-Dylan

I drink your milkshake! I drink it up!
post #650 of 6925 Old 05-12-2004, 02:25 PM

I put in a request a few weeks ago for a 3250HD with firewire and am waiting on a call back from TW to tell me the box is ready...

edit: I'm on the phone with TW now finding out what is taking so long... They tell me I'll get a call about it in the next 24 hours
post #651 of 6925 Old 05-12-2004, 05:39 PM

Hello to all.

Is anyone having problems with TWC reception tonight?

I have both SA3250HD and regular digital boxes. On both of them, all channels above 700 are black (the guide info comes up across the bottom when you tune the channel, and then goes away as it should). (These channels would be all the HBO's and other premiums and all the HD channels - for the HD box).

TWC claims they can't do anything from the office, already tried rebooting both boxes. It will be next Monday before a technician can come out and look at it!!!!

Signal strength is +9db.

I have already talked with a supervisor, but to no avail other than they will credit my account for the period between now and next Monday.

Anyone got any suggestions on what else to look for?

Jim
post #652 of 6925 Old 05-12-2004, 08:05 PM

At about 10 p.m. all returned to normal. Guess they got more complaints and did something about it.

Jim
post #653 of 6925 Old 05-14-2004, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I don't know if anyone is looking for one, but Fry's, as of yesterday, has 9 Zenith Silver Sensors.

They are located back near the TV section... in an isle with cables and Terk antennae and blank video tapes.

Cost is $39.99. Probably not the best price in the world, but they are there if anyone wants to buy locally!
post #654 of 6925 Old 05-14-2004, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jnoblett2000
Hello to all.
...Is anyone having problems with TWC reception tonight?...
Jim

Hi Jim,
Um. I had reception probs for 15 years w/TWC, and in the end, they were charging me $50/mo. for friggin' ANALOG.

A year ago, I went over to D*--all channels digital(absolute, vs. TWC wishy-washy claims, IMO.).

Now paying ~$60/mo. for wonderful HD and more SD channels than I can watch. Plus great OTA from my TS160.

Back to the "problems" topic: TWC uses a "Dish". Although 50X bigger than mine, it is just as subject to "rain-fade" as my little triple-LNB D* antenna.
Judging from last night's storms, I think that's the answer to your question.
FWIW,
AMc
post #655 of 6925 Old 05-14-2004, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by a.macree

Back to the "problems" topic: TWC uses a "Dish". Although 50X bigger than mine, it is just as subject to "rain-fade" as my little triple-LNB D* antenna.
Judging from last night's storms, I think that's the answer to your question.
FWIW,
AMc

Since he posted that on Wednesday night, I don't think your post is relevant.

The money pit:
$3800 spent sofar :p
post #656 of 6925 Old 05-14-2004, 08:11 PM

I'm just wondering....has anyone "seen" FOX working on their tower? Any new info about them going 720P & broadcasting at a power level that those of us not living under the tower might get a signal?
If anyone would care, I live off Brodie South of Slaughter (about 3 miles), using a Radio Shack indoor double bow-tie with a Sony HD300 D* STB....
Sorry TW folks, had them & also if anyone remembers Austin CableVision..
post #657 of 6925 Old 05-15-2004, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by utstimpy
Since he posted that on Wednesday night, I don't think your post is relevant.

I think his post is relevant in that TW is not the super-star you think it is.
post #658 of 6925 Old 05-15-2004, 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by barneypoo69
... & also if anyone remembers Austin CableVision...

barney,barney,barney!
Um. Plz. This is not a pornographic chat group....

AMc
post #659 of 6925 Old 05-17-2004, 10:47 AM

Hey, Barneypoo, I live right in your neck of the woods (near Eskew/Brodie). How's your reception over there?

I just ordered a Silver Sensor that I'll be hooking up to an also-on-its-way HD-TiVo. Should I give up any hope of catching Fox from where I'm at? (By the way, Silver Sensor was $24.99 from Amazon).

Saw an amplified RCA antenna with dual VHF/UHF gains at Target for $29.99. Any chance the separate VHF gain on that might pick up FOX HD from where I'm living? Or should I stick with the Silver Sensor when I get it?
post #660 of 6925 Old 05-17-2004, 03:33 PM

OmarG,

If you pick up that RCA antenna and it does pick up FoxHD please let us know. I'm only about 5 blocks from there closer towards MoPac and if you can get it so should I. I have a Silver Sensor and can't get it at all which is no surprise. I do get the rest of the HD channels though.

Driver
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page