Austin, TX - HDTV - Page 228 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6811 of 6930 Old 11-06-2013, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
You might want to face your antenna toward the antenna farm in Westlake. Mine it pointing that direction. Most of them are duplicate channels in primetime. Every once in a while you'll get 3 NFL games at once.
Cabal0 likes this.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6812 of 6930 Old 11-06-2013, 06:57 PM

Thanks for the tip. What is the heading I need to point to? I'm guessing 270* West or something.
post #6813 of 6930 Old 11-22-2013, 01:58 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott750 View Post

Thanks for the tip. What is the heading I need to point to? I'm guessing 270* West or something.

Go to one or both of the following websites, input as accurately as possible your exact location and antenna height/obstruction information, and they'll each provide you with a complete listing of the stations you should be able to receive with azimuth for each one. If you can't see the group of antennas out in Westlake but have got a compass handy, it's easy -- the hardest part is not falling off the roof!

http://www.tvfool.com/

http://www.antennaweb.org/
post #6814 of 6930 Old 11-24-2013, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Is this the right forum to chat about att gigapower? Its available in my neighborhood, and I'm seriously considering dropping TWC after 21yrs. I have my phone, internet and tv with twc, and would make a full switch to att. My cable service has been getting really poor over the last yr or two, blocking, freezing, breaking up. Its unwatchable at times, and we've had MANY service calls to fix it. I'm just interested in peoples opinions on whether gigapower will be a good thing, or just another source of frustration. Will the tv service be better over gigapower than regular uverse? How are people finding uverse? Apparently I have fiber to my house, although I find that hard to believe. How can I find out?
post #6815 of 6930 Old 11-27-2013, 01:58 PM

Have you looked into Google Fiber for your area? It's coming sometime in 2014. Might be a better alternative than AT&T. Most homes will have fiber to the node (FTTN) or fiber to the street (FTTS). On very rare occasions and if you're home was built within the last couple years will you have fiber attached to your house. It's most likely ran up to a distribution box on your street than a copper cable to your home. (That's what I've read, but may not be 100% correct).

I too was thinking about dropping TWC for something else, but I've got Roadrunner turbo (20 Mb/sec) and I have no data caps. I know some companies have them and to me, unlimited data is more important than all out speed. I've been using about 200 GB / month on avg. Just something to look into before switching. It doesn't answer you question, but might help just a little.
post #6816 of 6930 Old 12-01-2013, 02:21 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jontyrees View Post

Is this the right forum to chat about att gigapower? Its available in my neighborhood, and I'm seriously considering dropping TWC after 21yrs. I have my phone, internet and tv with twc, and would make a full switch to att. My cable service has been getting really poor over the last yr or two, blocking, freezing, breaking up. Its unwatchable at times, and we've had MANY service calls to fix it. I'm just interested in peoples opinions on whether gigapower will be a good thing, or just another source of frustration. Will the tv service be better over gigapower than regular uverse? How are people finding uverse? Apparently I have fiber to my house, although I find that hard to believe. How can I find out?
AT$T gigapower is going to be ridiculously expensive compared to Google fiber. Sign up for it when it's available if you really want it, but you'll want Google fiber as soon as it's available. GF service will be gig speed for $70 a month and TV service for about $40. AT$T will be asking about 3X that much for 1/3 slower speeds. This is a screenshot they posted for gigapower.

post #6817 of 6930 Old 12-01-2013, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

yikes - where did you find those prices? They weren't announced when I was talking to them last week.

I went ahead and scheduled for ATT to come and install UVerse. If I shift to GIgapower after that, it's just an eqpt swap. Of course, since then, my TWC tv has gone from unwatchable to perfect. UVerse will be cheaper though, and I'll get way more premium channels, HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, etc. We'll see how it goes. My pricing is locked in for 2yrs, at about $50 less than I'm paying TWC, so I'm good with the change. I get a $250 visa card too.

On Google Fibre, I'll believe it when I see it. They say they're coming here to Austin, but are they seriously going to dig trenches? I doubt it. They'll more likely use ATTs fibre, or someone else that already has it in the ground. Hopefully their presence and pricing will force ATT to drop their pricing.
post #6818 of 6930 Old 12-02-2013, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
You can be pretty sure ATT will have much lower prices when their gigabit fiber service goes live.

As to Google fiber, I don't understand your doubt. They announced before ATT and they have it running in KC.

I've seen fiber laid. Never saw any trenching. They dig a hole (about 3' x 5') , then horizontal bore and then drag the fiber behind. About 100 feet between holes.

As to TWC issues, there are some, but for local stations, I have a big antenna pointing at the tower farm. When the picture breaks up on TWC, it also breaks up on the antenna feed. The past weekend on KVUE is a good example.

But U-verse is a good reliable service. I'm not using them because they are IPTV, not cable.
Cabal0 likes this.
post #6819 of 6930 Old 12-03-2013, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post

You can be pretty sure ATT will have much lower prices when their gigabit fiber service goes live.

As to Google fiber, I don't understand your doubt. They announced before ATT and they have it running in KC.

I've seen fiber laid. Never saw any trenching. They dig a hole (about 3' x 5') , then horizontal bore and then drag the fiber behind. About 100 feet between holes.

As to TWC issues, there are some, but for local stations, I have a big antenna pointing at the tower farm. When the picture breaks up on TWC, it also breaks up on the antenna feed. The past weekend on KVUE is a good example.

But U-verse is a good reliable service. I'm not using them because they are IPTV, not cable.

I hope you're right about the pricing and about google - if there's a competitive carrier we should see prices tumble. I'm just sceptical that Google will be able to spend the kind of $ to put new fibre in the ground. It's possible in isolated locations, KC for example, but to do that all over the country is a massive investment. I wonder how much they spent for how much access in KC? I used to be in that business, (actually the long haul broadband fibre part of it), and the last mile is a tremendously expensive obstacle to overcome. Good luck to them if they do it though.
post #6820 of 6930 Old 12-03-2013, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontyrees View Post

I hope you're right about the pricing and about google - if there's a competitive carrier we should see prices tumble. I'm just sceptical that Google will be able to spend the kind of $ to put new fibre in the ground. It's possible in isolated locations, KC for example, but to do that all over the country is a massive investment. I wonder how much they spent for how much access in KC? I used to be in that business, (actually the long haul broadband fibre part of it), and the last mile is a tremendously expensive obstacle to overcome. Good luck to them if they do it though.

here's some cost analysis on KC, although it looks pretty optimistic to me

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-cost-of-building-google-fiber-2013-4
post #6821 of 6930 Old 12-15-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabal0 View Post

Anyone having any issues with sound from KEYE 42.1 during football today? At first I thought I was losing the right speaker in my 5.1 setup, but after power cycling the antenna pre-amp and comparing all my channels, it appears just the right channel on KEYE is screwy. Getting a lot of vibrating noise/pulsing.
Same thing this week during the Texans game. KEYE-TV/CBS only. Pretty annoying, and probably fixed now.
post #6822 of 6930 Old 12-21-2013, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I've been frustrated trying to watch KVUE for a while now, especially on Saturdays. Football games were pretty much unwatchable. And today's bowl game was the same.

I decided to use their web site to ask about this. To my surprise, I got a quick response from Patti Smith (President and General Manager). The answer was "KVUE is currently experiencing some technical difficulties, which has forced us to transmit at half power. We are working diligently to restore our signal to full power at this time."

I appreciate her quick response. What I can't understand is why I have never seen any mention of their problems before. Shouldn't the AAS have run a story about this? Nobody else on AVS noticed this?

And finally, doesn't KVUE have a direct feed to the local cablecos? I use TWC, and maybe U-Verse (only) has the direct feed .
post #6823 of 6930 Old 12-21-2013, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullet34 View Post

AT$T gigapower is going to be ridiculously expensive compared to Google fiber. Sign up for it when it's available if you really want it, but you'll want Google fiber as soon as it's available. GF service will be gig speed for $70 a month and TV service for about $40. AT$T will be asking about 3X that much for 1/3 slower speeds. This is a screenshot they posted for gigapower.

I know your post was 3 weeks ago, but I just want to clear something up. I had AT&T U-Verse GigaPower installed this week. It costs me $70 a month for 300 Mbps service. It will be a free upgrade to 1 Gbps in mid-2014. (Also note that Google Fiber testing is currently at 300 Mbps and NOT 1 Gbps until 2014 as well). My contract is for 1 year, but the price is locked in for 3 years should I decide to keep it. I live in the TeraVista neighborhood in Round Rock.

AT&T has been laying fiber for years, but the only reason that they are doing GigaPower is because Google is forcing their hand with Google Fiber.

Finally, 802.11n WiFi only goes up to 350 Mbps and most devices don't have Gigabit network cards installed. So, we have a reverse trend going on. Before GigaPower & Google Fiber, Wireless devices had higher capacity than the ISPs were able to give us. Now, our devices can't keep up with the high speeds that our ISP is able to give us.

I have also learned that these online speed tests aren't able to keep up with these high speeds. There is a bottleneck somewhere. My home connection is no longer the bottleneck to content sitting out there on servers.

The following are results of my Dell laptop built in 2007 on Wifi using a Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN built-in wireless adapter (I am sitting less than 10 feet away from the wireless router:

Chet
post #6824 of 6930 Old 12-31-2013, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 746
I have been having signal quality issues with Austin OTA channels. Specifically, I am getting frequent dropouts. The problems seem to be worst on 36.1, 7.1, and especially 54.1.

I have an outdoor antenna mounted on my chimney, which has a clear line of sight to the antenna farm in Davenport Ranch, which is less than 5 miles away (I live in Jester Estates, on the hill just north of the Pennybacker bridge. I have the antenna connected to both a DirecTV AM21 OTA tuner, and directly to a Sony flat panel display. On the AM21, I can observe signal strength, which is consistently close to 100%. The audio dropouts occur on both the AM21, and on the direct connection to the TV, so I have ruled out the DirecTV equipment as the issue.

So, my question is this: are these audio glitches normal on these digital channels, or should I be looking at something wrong with my antenna and cable? What can go wrong with an antenna? Any other advice?

Edit: I just re-checked my signal strength. Fox 7.1 reads only 92-93%, all others are showing a full 100%.

Edit2: I am watching the KXAN feed to DirecTV (evening news with Brian Williams), and I'm getting audio dropouts with this feed as well. Is something wrong with KXAN?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6825 of 6930 Old 12-31-2013, 06:24 PM

I'm in Hutto and haven't noticed any dropouts. I have seen the occasional image that freezes and then becomes pixilated. I'm wondering if it's some large truck or something has driven between my house and the antenna farms.
post #6826 of 6930 Old 01-04-2014, 04:31 PM

No issues with dropouts in northeast Pflugerville. If you're that close to the towers, I wonder if you're getting too much signal. You don't have a pre-amp or anything like that, I assume?
post #6827 of 6930 Old 01-04-2014, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabal0 View Post

No issues with dropouts in northeast Pflugerville. If you're that close to the towers, I wonder if you're getting too much signal. You don't have a pre-amp or anything like that, I assume?

It is possible. How does one correct for too much signal?

post #6828 of 6930 Old 01-05-2014, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

It is possible. How does one correct for too much signal?

What antenna are you using? If amplified, it's overloading. If not, use an attenuator to reduce signal power. I'd order a 3, 6, & 10 from http://www.3starinc.com/drop_in-line_attenuator.html You can "stack" them, if needed.
post #6829 of 6930 Old 01-05-2014, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post

What antenna are you using? If amplified, it's overloading. If not, use an attenuator to reduce signal power. I'd order a 3, 6, & 10 from http://www.3starinc.com/drop_in-line_attenuator.html You can "stack" them, if needed.

Thanks for the advice.  I'll give it a try and report the results.

post #6830 of 6930 Old 01-08-2014, 05:43 AM

Liked: 11
Those data rates that ckenisell posted above look really good to me -- especially the upload rate. I'd love to use Crashplan to back up more of my stuff and 70mbps up would make that practical.

Regarding AT&T Gigapower, my understanding is that at the $70/month level, they monitor your HTTP traffic (not HTTPS) for targeted advertisement and may replace ads on web pages. To avoid this "feature", it's $99/month for 300MBPS. See http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/ATT-Offers-70-1-Gbps-in-Austin-With-a-Big-Catch-126969.

I have not been able to find out if AT&T has bandwidth caps, or if their TOS allows non-commercial home servers. Google Fiber's TOS does allow such servers; I assume they have no caps but I'm not 100% sure.

Anyone know about AT&T's policy on home servers and data caps? At one point, uverse was going to impose caps (something like 300GB) but they might have backed off on that.

Regarding Google fiber installation: someone posted a bunch of permits Google filed with the city for utility work south of the river. So it's real. I understand they'll be using Austin Energy's power poles and underground pipes. My neighborhood has all underground utilities and, after putting in a pool, the electrician said I needed more power to the house -- Austin Energy sent a giant truck and was able to replace the underground cable (oddly enough, aluminum, as big around as my forearm) from the transformer to my meter in about 20 minutes for no charge. So if Google (or AT&T) can use the same underground plumbing, I can see it being relatively inexpensive.

We do have a relatively new uverse installation at the end of our block, but we aren't on the list for the initial Gigapower rollout. But the pricing/monitoring means I'll likely wait for Google. They also have a terrific DVR, from what I hear -- records 8 programs at once.

TWC is now advertising a 100MB service but I have no idea about the pricing or if it's symmetrical (same up as down). Anyone know?
ckenisell likes this.

post #6831 of 6930 Old 01-08-2014, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
InvaderZim is correct. I could pay $29 more per month for at&t to pretend that they don't monitor me, but all ISPs do this (they just don't tell you). I use Google Chrome with the AdBlock extension, so I don't see ads anyway. wink.gif I'm not worried about Big Brother spying on me. It happens all the time anyway. Time to embrace it. There are other browsers that get around TOS too if you're interested.

Since the install, I have created a Netflix account. I was holding off because I am a real Blu-Ray fan and I was really worried that the quality wouldn't be close to good HD. To my surprise, once all the buffering is done and the video is able to detect that I have a high speed connection, the video quality is quite good. For $8 a month, the ability to set up multiple profiles under one account and the fact that there is a Netflix app on every single device I own (with the exception of my kitchen sink - pun intended), I think I'll keep it. There's better content on there than I thought.
InvaderZim likes this.

Chet
post #6832 of 6930 Old 01-08-2014, 08:12 AM

Liked: 11
Agreed -- Netflix streaming is great, although I use it mostly to binge on TV shows; they tend to not stream movies until I've already seen them using their BD/DVD by mail service. I have TWC's 30/5mbps service and Netflix HD streaming is of reasonable quality, although not Blu-Ray quality (also a big fan of that format). Netflix seems to adjust dynamically to conditions, so most of the time the stream will be great, but it occasionally reverts to something not-so-great; pausing or briefly rewinding seems to reset it. I chalked this up to the fact that I use 500mpbs powerline networking between my cable modem upstairs and home theatre setup downstairs (which might be subject to intermittent interference), but I recently rented "Elysium" from VUDU in their HDX format for $5.99 (son was home for the holidays and really wanted to see it) and that was true HD all the way through without rebuffering or degradation of any kind. VUDU then offered "The Wolverine" for 99 cents (on my Netflix list) and that also looked perfect. So three HDX movies a month would cost the same as the Netflix DVD by mail mail subscription and I can now see why they were thinking about dropping that entirely in favor of just streaming. $5.99 is still a little steep, but VUDU offers movies well in advance of their release on disc and it's still much cheaper than going to the theatre.

It may also be that AT&T does peering with Netflix and maybe TW does not. I remember reading something about Netflix wanting to put their equipment into local provider's data centers to reduce their costs, and TWC pushing back since Netflix competes with TWC's VOD. But so does VUDU.

Regarding AT&T's monitoring, I'm also not terribly concerned -- it's just kind of an annoyance. At college, my son is on a shared network and uses a $40/year VPN from PrivateInternetAccess.com -- unlimited bandwidth and data (they did well in a PCWorld and TorrentFreak roundup). I'd be tempted to get something like that just to annoy AT&T back -- route all traffic through a VPN tunnel.

So AT&T Gigapower would be tempting -- I just hope they don't offer it to us a month before Google comes around (have to lock in for a year).

post #6833 of 6930 Old 01-28-2014, 10:27 AM

Not sure if anyone else is seeing this. I noticed as of this morning, the KLRU broadcast channels are not including channel ID information for the sub-channels. I can still tune the channels okay, but apparently this makes Windows Media Center unable to record them. When I bring up the channels in my HDhomerun gui, each channel shows a "0" for ID instead of 18.1, 18.2, etc and their name.

It's actually kinda funny, I can be successfully watching 18.1 in WMC, click record, and it will suddenly tell me there's "no signal." If I cancel the recording, everything returns to normal.

All other channels behave normally, of course. Maybe our winter weather broke something. wink.gif
post #6834 of 6930 Old 01-28-2014, 10:55 AM

Got a reply from KLRU's engineer, it looks like their PSIP lost its mind and it is now resolved. Fast service. wink.gif
post #6835 of 6930 Old 01-28-2014, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Folks...do we know when the KLRU issue first surfaced? I have some hard drive recorders that record 18.1 every day from 5-12 p.m. Beginning last Wednesday they basically lost their mind and recorded black from then to last night. I checked them this morning, found that they would receive nothing on 18.X. A rescan seemed to fix it. I was just wondering if this PSIP issue could be what caused my problem?

thanks!

To the world, you are just a person. To a rescue dog, you are the world!

- local in Austin

- national
post #6836 of 6930 Old 01-28-2014, 04:53 PM

Anyone else in the area noticed that the new KAKW sub-channel (GetTV) on 62.3 (and maybe 31.3 as well) has gone live in the past couple of days showing old b&w English-language movies, even though a static message at the bottom states that it's coming in February 2014?
Cabal0 likes this.
post #6837 of 6930 Old 01-28-2014, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Nothing on 31.3 here...and i'm getting 31.X with good strength at Steck and MoPac.

Are they giving it any more bandwidth than Fox is on 7.2? To me that sub channel looks like a mess. And is it 16X9 or 4x3?

Regarding GetTV, Wiki shows a list of 27 Univision affiliates across the country, but no one else so far.

To the world, you are just a person. To a rescue dog, you are the world!

- local in Austin

- national
post #6838 of 6930 Old 02-02-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsho View Post

Folks...do we know when the KLRU issue first surfaced? I have some hard drive recorders that record 18.1 every day from 5-12 p.m. Beginning last Wednesday they basically lost their mind and recorded black from then to last night. I checked them this morning, found that they would receive nothing on 18.X. A rescan seemed to fix it. I was just wondering if this PSIP issue could be what caused my problem?

thanks!
It sounds likely. If your recorders have an option to periodically rescan, you may want to enable it.
post #6839 of 6930 Old 02-02-2014, 02:16 PM

I'm pulling it in on 62.3 (Circleville, between Taylor and Granger) via a DTVPal DVR, and since 62.1 and 62.2 are both affiliated with KAKW (Univision and Unimas, respectively) I presumed it was part of their operation. The films which it's been running are all b&w, but the signal is fairly strong. I haven't tried (yet, at any rate) to perform a channel scan on my TV (Samsung LN32A550) directly or other DVRs to see if it can be picked up by them, but my supposition of a 31.3 companion operation doesn't seem to pan out as the DTVPal finds no channel there, so perhaps there's a different sort of affiliation with KAKW since the programming is from some other source entirely. I have a directional antenna (mounted on a reasonably tall mast) that's oriented toward Mt. Larsen in Westlake, but I can generally pick up all the stations from the Waco-Temple-Killeen market as well as Austin (except KBVO - darn!).
post #6840 of 6930 Old 02-02-2014, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhvance View Post

... I can generally pick up all the stations from the Waco-Temple-Killeen market as well as Austin (except KBVO - darn!).

KBVO power is so low, I don't think the signal can make it to the bottom of the tower biggrin.gif
Cabal0 likes this.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page