Austin, TX - HDTV - Page 229 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6841 of 6914 Old 02-02-2014, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
75 big watts, covering 10% of Westlake Hills.

If you want this station, you need a wire or a dish.

To the world, you are just a person. To a rescue dog, you are the world!
http://austindogalliance.org/ - local in Austin
http://adopt-a-small-dog.adoptapet.com/ - national
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6842 of 6914 Old 02-09-2014, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

KBVO power is so low, I don't think the signal can make it to the bottom of the tower biggrin.gif

There have been days when the atmospheric conditions were just right, or just right enough for it to carry this far so it came in well enough for the CM7000Pal DVR to scan, receive stably and remember, though the Samsung TV has never managed that feat (guess its tuner's discrimination isn't quite as good). Some of what it carries is also occasionally broadcast on 6.2 out of Temple or 10.2 out of Waco, but generally not the UT sporting events. With the demise of the music channel that was on 54.2, I wish that Lin would either start broadcasting KBVO on that KNVA subchannel as it has strong signal power, or pick up Azteca America (available weakly on analog channel 20 and provides additional Mexican soccer coverage beyond what Univision, Unimas or Telemundo offer).
post #6843 of 6914 Old 02-10-2014, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhvance View Post

There have been days when the atmospheric conditions were just right, or just right enough for it to carry this far so it came in well enough for the CM7000Pal DVR to scan, receive stably and remember, though the Samsung TV has never managed that feat (guess its tuner's discrimination isn't quite as good).

Well yeah, I've had that happen in the past, too. However when it was happening, I decided to watch the Houston stations I was picking up instead cool.gif So, it puts out as much power to my location as the Houston stations.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #6844 of 6914 Old 02-21-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 46
post #6845 of 6914 Old 02-21-2014, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good to know, when they did the bump of mine to the current 15x1 they didn't announce it, you just rebooted your modem and it was there.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #6846 of 6914 Old 02-23-2014, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Good to know, when they did the bump of mine to the current 15x1 they didn't announce it, you just rebooted your modem and it was there.

Maybe this isn't good to know since I just got a letter with my bill stating that my internet service will go up $15 eek.gif a month and the free modem will now be $6 eek.gif a month...Bye Bye Time Warner..... mad.gif

My Little Theater
post #6847 of 6914 Old 02-23-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Maybe this isn't good to know since I just got a letter with my bill stating that my internet service will go up $15 eek.gif a month and the free modem will now be $6 eek.gif a month...Bye Bye Time Warner..... mad.gif

That is only true if you are not on a promotional plan. EVERYONE in here should be on a promotional plan - you have to call up once a year to get on one, and may have to try a couple of times, but it saves you a LOT of money. If you talk to the right person they will always put you on whatever they are offering new customers.

xnappo
post #6848 of 6914 Old 02-23-2014, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

That is only true if you are not on a promotional plan. EVERYONE in here should be on a promotional plan - you have to call up once a year to get on one, and may have to try a couple of times, but it saves you a LOT of money. If you talk to the right person they will always put you on whatever they are offering new customers.

xnappo

I called and talked to them. Apparently it was sent to me in error. I'm on the old Earthlink $41.95 plan and the price increases only apply to the Earthlink $42.99 plans. I wrote down the woman's name and number in case my next bill is wrong.

My Little Theater
post #6849 of 6914 Old 02-24-2014, 03:17 PM

I just got my TWC bill today and all it refers to about the new pricing for me is Earthlink Internet changes. I have Roadrunner Turbo 20x2 so I'm wondering if this even will affect me?
Quote:

xnappo

How do you get on these promotional plans? Mine expired a couple years ago and every time I call them up asking to get on one, they always say there aren't any promotional plans available for me. Not like I can argue add I can't see their screens so I just take it. frown.gif
post #6850 of 6914 Old 02-24-2014, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott750 View Post

I just got my TWC bill today and all it refers to about the new pricing for me is Earthlink Internet changes. I have Roadrunner Turbo 20x2 so I'm wondering if this even will affect me?
How do you get on these promotional plans? Mine expired a couple years ago and every time I call them up asking to get on one, they always say there aren't any promotional plans available for me. Not like I can argue add I can't see their screens so I just take it. frown.gif

Ask to speak to 'retention'.

xnappo
mike_bresnahan likes this.
post #6851 of 6914 Old 02-25-2014, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I switched from U-verse to TWC about 1.5 yrs ago. When my '1 yr initial deal' was about to expire, TWC wrote to me saying they would extend the deal another year for a $10 increase. (from $85 to $95 incl taxes, no telephone, no movie/sports packages). That made TWC slightly better.

With Comcast offering to buy TWC, who knows what will happen if that succeeds. I have had Comcast, and they were much better than TWC. And no 'copy once' restrictions. But generally when a cableco takes over another cableco, the infrastructure that was bought dictates policies, at least for a while.
post #6852 of 6914 Old 03-04-2014, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

I got that letter too. First call to try to get my old service back, I was told it was no longer available. Second call sent me to the 'retention' department) and a very nice CSR got me back on my basic internet plan at the old price. I've been paying for my modem since my last special deal cycled almost a year ago. How did you avoid the modem fee for so long?
post #6853 of 6914 Old 03-04-2014, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
post #6854 of 6914 Old 03-04-2014, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golinux View Post

I got that letter too. First call to try to get my old service back, I was told it was no longer available. Second call sent me to the 'retention' department) and a very nice CSR got me back on my basic internet plan at the old price. I've been paying for my modem since my last special deal cycled almost a year ago. How did you avoid the modem fee for so long?

It is through Earthlink from about 4 years ago. No fee at the time, still no fee (well, we'll find out next month for sure)

My Little Theater
post #6855 of 6914 Old 03-19-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Couple of things I am surprised there has not been more discussion of:

1. Time Warner Cable MASSIVE channel moves in April. As I am using WMC/cable card I am really wondering how much this is going to disrupt service. I know the TWC boxes automatically select an SD or HD channel - but I am totally unclear on what this means for cable card users.

2. How AWESOME El Rey is. I tuned in for 'From Dusk Till Dawn' - which was great - but what I didn't expect was that it is basically 'The Alamo Drafthouse' channel.

xnappo
post #6856 of 6914 Old 03-20-2014, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

April 23 might be interesting. I have no faith that TWC/zap2it will coordinate the channel switching, since those of us using cablecards are surely less than 1%.
post #6857 of 6914 Old 04-09-2014, 12:42 PM

Liked: 10
I've read through the last year and don't see this question. I live in N. Austin near Palmer and IH 35. I've always had a difficult time with OTA reception. I've done a lot of research and am planning to get a flat antenna. I've narrowed it down to:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Winegard-Flatwave-Razor-Thin-Indoor-HDTV-Antenna-FL5000H/203972854?keyword=winegard+flatwave

http://www.amazon.com/Mohu-Indoor-Antenna-formerly-Ultimate/dp/B00DHKKI16/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1397070731&sr=1-2&keywords=Leaf+Ultimate+Indoor+HDTV+Antenna

or

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Extreme-Performance-Amplified-Antenna/dp/B00DIFIP06/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t

Has anyone tried these in Austin, TX?
post #6858 of 6914 Old 04-10-2014, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Curious why you want a flat antenna, unless you are forced to use an indoor unit.. You won't get the Fox station (it is VHF), and I think the chances of getting the others with good quality is slim unless you have a window facing the farm.

Be sure you can return any you buy.
post #6859 of 6914 Old 04-11-2014, 01:30 PM

Liked: 10
I live in an apt. I heard these were better than rabbit ears, but everything I've tried in the past hasn't worked well in my area. I'm using rabbit ears now but can't get any channels above 42. I wanted to get 54 and get-tv (62).
post #6860 of 6914 Old 04-11-2014, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Good luck w/62. It's waaaaaaaaaaaaaay off the beaten path.

http://www.antennapoint.com/antennas/76528%23KAKW-TV

post #6861 of 6914 Old 04-12-2014, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwilliams322 View Post

I live in an apt. I heard these were better than rabbit ears, but everything I've tried in the past hasn't worked well in my area. I'm using rabbit ears now but can't get any channels above 42. I wanted to get 54 and get-tv (62).

You are getting all the channels that you can get w/o a much better antenna.

The only additional one possible to get would be CW KNVA. It is actually on ch49, but your TV tunes it as ch54. But it has a very weak signal, so save your money.

If you must watch CW, you will need to get TWC cable or U-verse, or maybe aereo. Otherwise, just stick to your rabbit ears.
post #6862 of 6914 Old 04-12-2014, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

If he's getting KXAN, he should be getting KNVA. IIRC, KNVA is licensed for 500kw ERP, KXAN for 700kw (STA 350kw). Both are on the same tower.

Are you sure you're not thinking about KBVO-CA on virtual 14, digital 27? It's not much more than a nightlight, at 75 big watts!
Cabal0 likes this.

post #6863 of 6914 Old 04-14-2014, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
I get much better reception on the weak OTA channels when the computer is not running.
You could mount one of these https://www.google.com/search?q=db4+antennae&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb inside (hang it from a hook at the top of the window) or outside in a box. You can leave it inside the box it comes in (it won't hurt performance) and cover it, paint it, wrap it like a Christmas gift if the wife thinks it's uglier than your TV reception.

Edit: Ya, every kid with a screwdriver has made a YouTube video about how to make an HD antennae... There is no such thing as an HD Antennae!!! There are only VHF and UHF antennaes. They have no clue what they are doing, only copying other "designs" Haha. You can stick a metal coathanger in the TV and if cut to the right length will give acceptable results. But ya, you can make your own antennae and disguise it as a vine/ flower lattice.

Edit2: http://www.avsforum.com/t/845212/makeing-own-antenna
post #6864 of 6914 Old 04-14-2014, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

I've got a question of my own here, for those of you in south Austin.

I'm moving back down south myself, so a subdivision halfway between Brodie and Manchacha Rd, just north of Slaughter Lane. I'd love to have some kind of antenna setup that would enable me to receive San Antonio stations off the air. Is anyone doing this right now? And if so, what kind of setup would I need?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

post #6865 of 6914 Old 04-14-2014, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
That DB4 or 4221 I linked to above is directional and can be rotated for maximum signal. If you are moving to a house then if you need more antennae a DB8 or 4228.
post #6866 of 6914 Old 04-14-2014, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Yes indeed, it's a stand alone house, so I can put up just about anything I want. My question about those is that they appear to be strictly UHF. Is there any VHF in San Antonio like we have here in Austin from KTBC? And for that matter, can I assume that something like that, even though it's UHF only, would still do for local reception of that single VHF channel?

post #6867 of 6914 Old 04-21-2014, 09:30 AM

I'm using the ClearStream 2V antenna from Antennas Direct mounted on my single story house roof. It has both the UHF and VHF antennas in one unit and can still pull tv stations up 50 miles away. I'm all the way in North East Round Rock near 79 and Toll 130 and pull in all of the stations without issue.

http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/ClearStream-C2-VHF-Long-Range-Combo-Complete.html

post #6868 of 6914 Old 04-23-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Couple of things I am surprised there has not been more discussion of:

1. Time Warner Cable MASSIVE channel moves in April. As I am using WMC/cable card I am really wondering how much this is going to disrupt service. I know the TWC boxes automatically select an SD or HD channel - but I am totally unclear on what this means for cable card users.

Well the day is here, and as expected the WMC Guide has no idea what channel is what. Tivo fairing better?

xnappo
post #6869 of 6914 Old 04-23-2014, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

There are some 2 digit channels working.

Working: ESPN, CNBC, FNC, FBN, locals at 1501+
Not: CNN, MSNBC, CC, FOXSSW, and most others.

edit
Got all but one channel I normally watch by using the 2 digits. The zap2it listings above ch 99 are all incorrect, except the locals. But you can tune the others by using the lineup they mailed us. If that channel number is there. The name and guide info will be wrong.

edit2
The zap2it web site ( http://affiliate.zap2it.com/tvlistings/ZCGrid.do ) has it correct, but running WMC 'tv signal' setup isn't returning the same lineup. Don't know why. I asked at TGB http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7156

Mostly fixed today. Justy a bunch of duplicates. Seems a lot more ppl using Tivo than WMC here.
post #6870 of 6914 Old 04-23-2014, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Got a question for anyone with Dish and an over the air module receive module, especially if you have the Hopper. I was wondering if you get data for the over the air subchannels, such as 18-2, 7-2, etc. That's one reason we've stayed with DirecTV but will have to move to Dish this fall for sports. By the same token, knowing what's on the subchannels is a big deal as well. Many thanks to anyone for any help they can provide.

Mike Nassour / Austin

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page