Forum Jump: 

post #6931 of 6937 Old 10-12-2014, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsho View Post
Regarding Escape and Gettv on 62.X, Wikipedia says they're on 31.X (KTFO) as well. But while I've got good signal strength on 31, no sign of any subchannel other than 31.2/KAKW. Is anyone else getting the English subchannels off 31, or just 62?

And for that matter, can anyone give me some guidance on what kind of antenna it would take to pick up 62 from far south Austin, the area of Brodie/MoPac and Slaughter Lane?

I appreciate any help you can provide!

Mike Nassour
Mike, I'm NE of Austin and can pull in both 31 & 62 quite well, but Escape and GetTV only appear on the newest 62 sub-channels (31 just carries Univision and Unimas). Have you checked TVFool for antenna recommendations and broadcast tower azimuth to see whether your specific location can really get 62, as its tower site is far NW from you somewhere around Bertram.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6932 of 6937 Old 10-12-2014, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Yes, I stuck a little Clearstream 2 up in the attic this afternoon and it did a great job on KAKW. But doing a permanent install...due to the layout of the house...is beyond me. But at least now I know that a small antenna can get KAKW even in far south Austin. It looks like I'll need an outside install as I get breakup on at least one channel no matter where I mount it inside. I have an installer who has excellent reviews on Yelp who will do it for $380, including a Clearstream 4, three hours labor, all new wiring, pole, etc.

One more thing...I had a chat with the Chief Engineer, Jim Corbin, at KAKW on Friday, super nice guy. He told me that he had been specifically told to put GetTV and Escape on 62 only. He said that had come down from corporate some time ago and that he would check and see if that had changed.

To the world, you are just a person. To a rescue dog, you are the world!
http://austindogalliance.org/ - local in Austin
http://adopt-a-small-dog.adoptapet.com/ - national
post #6933 of 6937 Old 10-12-2014, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Below is a update of my previous message regarding what the Hopper gets OTA here in Austin.

For those of you who are considering Dish with an OTA module, I'd like to report here that there is indeed guide data available for many OTA channels in the Hopper. Here's what my new setup has found:

KTBC 7.1 / Fox - all program data
KTBC 7.2 / Movies! - no guide data

KLRU 18.1 / PBS - all program data
KLRU 18.2 / PBS Create - all program data
KLRU 18.3 / PBS Q - all program data
KLRU 18.4 / PBS VMe - all program data

KVUE 24.1 / ABC - all program data
KVUE 24.2 / TV Estrella - all program data
KVUE 24.3 / radar - no program data

KTFO 31.1 / Unimas - no program data
KTFO 31.2 / KAKW Univision channel 62 main feed - no program data

KXAN 36.1 / NBC - all program data

KEYE 42.1 / CBS - all program data
KEYE 42.2 / Telemundo - all program data

KNVA / 54.1 / CW - all program data

KAKW 62.1 / Univision - all program data
KAKW 62.2 / Unimas - all program data
KAKW 62.3 / GetTV - no program data
KAKW 62.4 / Escape - no program data

The big blanks are the sub-channels on KTBC and KAKW. Also, there is no program data for KTFO/KAKW at all on 31.X.

It also appears that the subchannels on 42 and 31 are now getting more bits than they were back in July when I originally posted this. Both Telemundo/42.2 and KTFO Unimas/31.1 now appear to have much better video and are in 16X9 format.

And a personal note...the Hopper OTA tuner is so much more sensitive and flexible than that thing DirecTV had it's not even funny.

Last edited by austinsho; 10-14-2014 at 07:50 PM. Reason: updated info for 62.2 - certain off air subchannels take more than 24 hours for data to populate
post #6934 of 6937 Old 10-23-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Below is a update of my previous message regarding what the Hopper gets OTA here in Austin.

For those of you who are considering Dish with an OTA module, I'd like to report here that there is indeed guide data available for many OTA channels in the Hopper. Here's what my new setup has found:

KTBC 7.1 / Fox - all program data
KTBC 7.2 / Movies! - no guide data

KLRU 18.1 / PBS - all program data
KLRU 18.2 / PBS Create - all program data
KLRU 18.3 / PBS Q - all program data
KLRU 18.4 / PBS VMe - all program data

KVUE 24.1 / ABC - all program data
KVUE 24.2 / TV Estrella - all program data
KVUE 24.3 / radar - no program data

KTFO 31.1 / Unimas - no program data
KTFO 31.2 / KAKW Univision channel 62 main feed - no program data

KXAN 36.1 / NBC - all program data

KEYE 42.1 / CBS - all program data
KEYE 42.2 / Telemundo - all program data

KNVA / 54.1 / CW - all program data

KAKW 62.1 / Univision - all program data
KAKW 62.2 / Unimas - all program data
KAKW 62.3 / GetTV - no program data
KAKW 62.4 / Escape - no program data

The big blanks are the sub-channels on KTBC and KAKW. Also, there is no program data for KTFO/KAKW at all on 31.X.

It also appears that the subchannels on 42 and 31 are now getting more bits than they were back in July when I originally posted this. Both Telemundo/42.2 and KTFO Unimas/31.1 now appear to have much better video and are in 16X9 format.

And a personal note...the Hopper OTA tuner is so much more sensitive and flexible than that thing DirecTV had it's not even funny.
That's sort of weird that you get no program info at all on 31.x but do receive it on the associated 62.x (x=1 & 2) channels -- I get the same and correct program info for all of those (as well as 7.2), although sometimes on the KAKW channels there is a default "REGULARLY SCHEDULED PROGRAMMING" message for an indefinite period rather than program-specific information. After a few days of the generic message, the detailed program information returns.

Last edited by jhvance; 10-23-2014 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Corrected/expanded
post #6935 of 6937 Old 10-23-2014, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhvance View Post
That's sort of weird that you get no program info at all on 31.x but do receive it on the associated 62.x (x=1 & 2) channels -- I get the same and correct program info for all of those (as well as 7.2), although sometimes on the KAKW channels there is a default "REGULARLY SCHEDULED PROGRAMMING" message for an indefinite period rather than program-specific information. After a few days of the generic message, the detailed program information returns.
Please refresh my memory...are you using the Hopper and USB dongle for reception or some other receiver? I'd love to have the info you're getting!

post #6936 of 6937 Old 10-23-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Please refresh my memory...are you using the Hopper and USB dongle for reception or some other receiver? I'd love to have the info you're getting!
No, sorry -- should have been more clear that I wasn't using the same equipment as you, though I'm not certain why that should make much of a difference if you're receiving the OTA broadcast signal(s) at decent strength. I see the program listing information in several ways: 1) directly through the TV (a Samsung LN32A550P3FXZA via its "info" option or "channel list" feature, although with the latter it might need to be tuned to a particular channel first), or 2) through the primary DVR I normally use for watching (ChannelMaster CM-7000PAL).

The CM-7000PAL was designed to receive the TVGOS (TV Guide On-Screen) information, but I turned that feature off when the service was discontinued; the unit still receives all the program information via PSIP signals embedded in the OTA stations' broadcasts and typically displays the full listings by time-block for all channels over a 4-18 hour period. A few of the 30+ channels I can receive from the Austin and Waco-Temple-Killeen markets (I'm near the market boundary on a higher-elevation point just south of the San Gabriel River east of Circleville in NE Williamson County) seem to have really marginal strength many or most days and so won't consistently display the PSIP show data (e.g., KBVO in Austin, KWKT 44.x out of Waco, and sometimes the 6.x channels out of Temple), but typically I'll get the PSIP data even if the signal strength is below the receiver's display threshold.

I have a long-range antenna typically pointed toward the Austin market mounted on a 30' mast with the coax feed running first into a standard signal amplifier before it's split to various recipient hardware, and some AV units have slightly better OTA tuners than others -- why I typically watch through the CM-7000PAL, as it seems to have one of the better tuners and handles HD as well as non-HD images quite well, plus it can record two shows on different channels simultaneously.

If there's a signal strength function in your receiver setup, try to get readings for the channels which do get the PSIP program data versus the ones which won't, then consider finding an in-line signal amplifier to boost what you're bringing in from whatever antenna you're using -- if you're not using an external antenna, then go to tvfool.com and input your location details to see what the different channels you should be able to receive require in terms of short- versus long-distance quality.
post #6937 of 6937 Old 10-23-2014, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Yea, it seems that Dish gets its program guide data not from the OTA signal, but rather, from Tribune where the rest of the data comes from. If Tribune doesn't have it, then it's not on Dish. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

I've got an outside antenna on my house just west of Slaughter Lane and Manchacha Road. All the locals, including 62, just BOOM in, no signal worries here. However, I do have it hooked up ONLY to the Dish receiver. This weekend, I'll hook up both the LG sets and see what program data they can find from the OTA feed. Thanks for that reminder!

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page