Austin, TX - HDTV - Page 239 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 31Likes

post #7141 of 7168 Old 03-05-2016, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post
And I thought CRT TVs were already in the landfill.
Not mine because they still work just fine.

May the FORK be with you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7142 of 7168 Old 03-05-2016, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by golinux View Post
This was the result of the mandated installation of new equipment on the way to implementation of atsc3 which is probably all tied up with the spectrum auction etc. If backwards compatibility is irretrievably broken, all the remaining CRTs will go to landfill and we'll all have to buy new TVs. The Feds once again making the world a better place for corporate profits . . .

When that time comes, I hope I'll be able to find a 'dumb' flat-screen . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post
And I thought CRT TVs were already in the landfill.
I still have a B&W Magnanox 13" TV (UHF & VHF Dials) hooked up to a OTA Converter box. I bought it in 1986 and it didn't have a remote and now it does. So, my 30 year old TV has more capabilities now than when it was new. Albeit, it is still black and white. So, no landfill for it.

At the end of 2014 I bought a 48" Dumb LCD and I love it. Added a Roku and I'm good to go. Plus it was around $350, too. No 3D, no Apps, just a good picture.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #7143 of 7168 Old 03-05-2016, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post
At the end of 2014 I bought a 48" Dumb LCD and I love it. Added a Roku and I'm good to go. Plus it was around $350, too. No 3D, no Apps, just a good picture.
Well, that's encouraging but a while ago. Who knows what's available today. I got these CRTs second-hand after the digital transition for $40 each. Can't beat that. I have no need for anything bigger than 21" though the captions are so small now, I can almost never read them.

The instability with KLRU-Q aspect ratios continues. Some shows are fine others totally borked.

post #7144 of 7168 Old 03-13-2016, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
No issues with KLRU aspect ratios here, but I have noticed over the past couple days I've been getting pixelation and dropouts again with near-100% power and SNR ratings. It's similar to what happened at the end of November:

Austin, TX - HDTV

No blurb on their web site about it this time, so I sent an email through the site.
post #7145 of 7168 Old 03-13-2016, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The repetitive audio dropout is really noticeable, even if there's no pixellation or scatter in the video imagery.
Cabal0 likes this.
post #7146 of 7168 Old 03-14-2016, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhvance View Post
The repetitive audio dropout is really noticeable, even if there's no pixellation or scatter in the video imagery.
I received a prompt reply from them:
Quote:
We believe it is indeed the same problem we had a while ago - we'd bypassed the problem, but a lightning strike at our transmitter during last week's storms caused some equipment to reset. Our transmitter engineer is out there tonight, and we hope to have it (re)fixed by tomorrow AM.
post #7147 of 7168 Old 03-19-2016, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Anybody else having problems with KEYE?

I'm getting lots of pixelization on the college hoops today. I also often have problems with non-sports shows, like NCIS & Good Wife.

My guide shows only 1 sub channel, 42.2 NEYE-TV, but no program data for it. I know I have a program that lets me see the bitrates of our local stations, but I forget what that program is.

No, "NEYE" is what it says.
post #7148 of 7168 Old 03-26-2016, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Antenna question here, folks. I'm moving from a Slaughter Lane location (where I just needed one north-pointing outdoor antenna for everything) to a central location where most of the towers are due west of me, but KAKW-62 will be north/northwest. Is it possible that I'll need two different outdoor antennas? And if so, do we just join them together with a combiner as we did in the analog days? If I remember correctly, these new UHF antennas really, really reject signals from the side.

To the world, you are just a person. To a rescue dog, you are the world!
http://www.austinpetsalive.org/ - local in Austin
http://adopt-a-small-dog.adoptapet.com/ - national
post #7149 of 7168 Old 03-26-2016, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsho View Post
Antenna question here, folks. I'm moving from a Slaughter Lane location (where I just needed one north-pointing outdoor antenna for everything) to a central location where most of the towers are due west of me, but KAKW-62 will be north/northwest. Is it possible that I'll need two different outdoor antennas? And if so, do we just join them together with a combiner as we did in the analog days? If I remember correctly, these new UHF antennas really, really reject signals from the side.
Put your address into antennaweb.org - it'll tell you exactly what antenna you'll need and which direction to point it for best results. It doesn't account for trees, 2 story houses, etc, so you *may* need a better antenna than what it tells you.

My guess is that your single existing antenna will be fine. Worst case, try it and see how it works.

Depending on what DVR software/viewer you use, if you need two antennas, you could run two antennas and two HD HomeRuns (or other tuner). Windows Media Center works real well for this, but I wouldn't really recommend it at this point, since it is basically end of life.
Cabal0 likes this.
post #7150 of 7168 Old 03-26-2016, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Yea, the issue is (as so well shown at AntennaWeb) is that one station I really need (for GetTV) is at a 90 degree angle to everything else! The issue I've got is when I do run two antenna leads (as I'm assuming I will) can they simply be combined or do I need to switch between them? A combiner is no big deal, as I can put the two antennas up and combine them at the mast and run one 75 ohm lead down to the house. But a switch is going to get really complicated.

post #7151 of 7168 Old 03-26-2016, 07:33 PM

Liked: 2
On Friday, the new Austin ME-TV subchannel 7.4 started broadcasting. My TV's automatically picked it up by just
clicking thru KTBC (Fox) 7.1.
Cabal0 likes this.
post #7152 of 7168 Old 03-27-2016, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, they appear to have some aspect issues, though!

post #7153 of 7168 Old 03-28-2016, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, they appear to have some aspect issues, though!
It was worse over the weekend. I called, left a message for engineering and now it's better but still too vertically elongated. I decided to nuke the channel because it looked so strange.

post #7154 of 7168 Old 03-30-2016, 05:13 AM

Channel 20.2

Channel 20.2 is now showing a network called bold tv, which appears to show old tv shows.
post #7155 of 7168 Old 04-04-2016, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenj View Post
Channel 20.2 is now showing a network called bold tv, which appears to show old tv shows.
Thanks for the heads up, I put in a request with Schedules Direct for listings for both 7.4 and 20.2

Aspect ratios are looking good for me on both channels, hopefully the previous issue was resolved.
post #7156 of 7168 Old 04-19-2016, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenj View Post
"Bold TV" appears to be not much more than a collection of old public domain stuff. Not that that can't be entertaining!

Does anyone know what is supposed to be on 20.2 besides color bars?

post #7157 of 7168 Old 04-25-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
"Bold TV" appears to be not much more than a collection of old public domain stuff. Not that that can't be entertaining!

Does anyone know what is supposed to be on 20.2 besides color bars?
I've seen a bunch of black and white content (i.e. not color bars), not that I've watched any of it.

The (under construction) web site appears to be here: http://www.boldtvnetwork.com/

They list a schedule under the menu drop-down, but it doesn't seem to be accurate.
post #7158 of 7168 Old 05-30-2016, 12:08 PM

Anyone else out on the metro fringe having reception problems with KTBC's main signal (7.1) over the past week or two?

I live near Circleville in NE Williamson (halfway between Taylor and Granger) on a high point with a long-range directional antenna pointed southwest that's mounted on a guyed 30' mast, and the coax downlead is fed into a signal amplifier. I've never had many issues with the station's signal quality over the past couple of decades before or after the digital switchover, but something odd is going on. The signal strength for 7.1 as measured either by the TV directly or a companion DVR is consistently lower than for any of the three sub-channels (7.2, 7.3 and 7.4), with relatively frequent but short intervals of complete or near-complete LOS that's accompanied by significant breakup/pixellation of the video and audio dropout -- reception degradation that was highly noticeable and extremely irritating when it occurred throughout Saturday's Champions League final, though unpleasant as at other times as well.

I sent an e-mail to the station's operations people on Saturday during the CL final's halftime, but since its a long holiday weekend haven't received (and don't expect) any response -- no significant change in the signal quality, either.
post #7159 of 7168 Old 05-31-2016, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhvance View Post
Anyone else out on the metro fringe having reception problems with KTBC's main signal (7.1) over the past week or two?
I work on the Roku TV development team in NW Austin, so I just checked out the tuner stats for the 7.x subchannels. With our antenna system, I'm getting the channel at -42dbM and I'm not seeing an appreciable bit error rate on any of the subchannels. Note that with ATSC, all of the subchannels are on the same RF frequency, it's just which packets out of the multiplex are being sent to the video/audio decoders in the TV. I'd only expect to see one subchannel be a lot worse than the others if it's an encoder problem at the station feeding bad data into their multiplexer.

The one thing that seems possible -- typically, with multiplexed stations there's a set pattern for how the packets are interleaved so no channel gets too far behind. If you had some localized noise at a specific frequency to only affect the packets for 7.1's video, you could see something like this. The center frequency for their broadcast signal is 175.25 MHz (RF channel 7).
Cabal0 and catodici like this.
post #7160 of 7168 Old 05-31-2016, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Direct TV 4k channels in Austin?

Can anyone comment on the quality of Direct TV 4k channels that are viewable in Austin?

I called Direct TV to ask about costs of 4k programming and what's available

My notes are below. In other words, this is what the Direct TV rep told me. I don't know if it's accurate or not...

=== begin Direct TV phone call notes 2016-05-31
$10 off if combine bill with ATT cell phone

--- 4k with Ultimate TV package

$88.53/month
before promo deals
4k genie
1 genie box
1 extra box for 2'nd TV - not a full Genie, but can record on it regardless

--- 4k with Premier

$138.63/month
for 2 years

------- copy / pasted from their website 4k page
ONLY ON DIRECTV!
First full-time
4K Ultra HD channel.
DIRECTV is the first pay TV provider to bring you a dedicated 4K Ultra HD channel, available 24/7. Tune in to see travel shows, nature documentaries, and original series, in stunning 4K Ultra HD1.

--- Premier 4k
"You can get 4 4k channels"
1) Live sports
2) PPV
3) original series and documentary
4) 4k home page

need to get Premier package for 4k content channels

=== end Direct TV phone call notes 2016-05-31
post #7161 of 7168 Old 06-02-2016, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Combee View Post
I work on the Roku TV development team in NW Austin, so I just checked out the tuner stats for the 7.x subchannels. With our antenna system, I'm getting the channel at -42dbM and I'm not seeing an appreciable bit error rate on any of the subchannels.
Ben, thanks for the feedback...whatever it was that was causing the situation last weekend on my reception seems to have been mitigated in the past few days, as the signal strength for 7.1 has been much better and far more consistent even with the various storms that have moved through the area. Guess 'Murphy' was just making good on timely interfering with reception during the CL final.
post #7162 of 7168 Old 06-06-2016, 08:25 AM

Nope...did it again yesterday afternoon for the Venezuela-Jamaica Copa America match -- KTBC was unwatchable because of the breakups & dropouts, so I switched over to Univision to see the match. Univison had its own signal strength fluctuations, but no so bad that it was not watchable...perhaps the KTBC issue's due more to atmospheric conditions of the past few weeks, though begs the question of why now and not so much at other times during the past couple of decades?
post #7163 of 7168 Old 06-14-2016, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by catodici View Post
Can anyone comment on the quality of Direct TV 4k channels that are viewable in Austin?
They would be the same as nationally. You would probably get better answers from SatelliteGuys.us or dbstalk.com.

Completely unrelated to your question. I noticed two changes with Fox 7. #1 , it's like 10dB louder than other channels. It's super annoying going from KXAN to KTBC/Fox7 having to raise then lower the volume of my receiver. #2 , it looks like the field reporters are in HD now. They're not as blurry, as they used to be. 8 years later, eh?
catodici likes this.
post #7164 of 7168 Old 06-14-2016, 07:23 AM
rad
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post
They would be the same as nationally. You would probably get better answers from SatelliteGuys.us or dbstalk.
You could also check http://iamanedgecutter.com/forum.php, you need to register on it but it's free.
allargon and catodici like this.
post #7165 of 7168 Old 07-18-2016, 11:35 AM

Liked: 0
North of Llano - Expertise Needed

Forgive me if this is not the best place, but I am trying to follow the sticky RE antenna recommendations.

My parents just bought a recreational property about 10 minutes north of Llano. I was tasked with figuring out if OTA was possible.

Here is the TV Fool Report: tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3de2cb6aad40df6 1

Ideally we would get the top 2 channels in the report and as many of the channels as possible at 125-126° from Austin 63 miles away from one antenna.

Even if multiple antenna are required I would be interested in that set up as well. I don't know how much effort the group is willing to put into a 30 ft. mast, but a 20-25' off the ranch house roof is definitely possible.

Please let me know if more info is required and I would be happy to post.
post #7166 of 7168 Old 07-19-2016, 07:00 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokedMeats View Post
Forgive me if this is not the best place, but I am trying to follow the sticky RE antenna recommendations.

My parents just bought a recreational property about 10 minutes north of Llano. I was tasked with figuring out if OTA was possible.

Here is the TV Fool Report: tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3de2cb6aad40df6 1

Ideally we would get the top 2 channels in the report and as many of the channels as possible at 125-126° from Austin 63 miles away from one antenna.

Even if multiple antenna are required I would be interested in that set up as well. I don't know how much effort the group is willing to put into a 30 ft. mast, but a 20-25' off the ranch house roof is definitely possible.

Please let me know if more info is required and I would be happy to post.
Moving to HDTV Technical forum
post #7167 of 7168 Old 07-25-2016, 10:26 AM

I noticed recently that 17.5 and 17.6 are broadcasting black screens. Not sure how long that's been going on.
post #7168 of 7168 Old 08-04-2016, 06:07 PM

Anyone getting artifacts and dropouts on KVUE/ABC the past couple days? I'm at 100% signal and SNR, and all other channels look great, but the wife is getting aggravated.

Edit: 10 days later and no change. I emailed KVUE at their broadcast email address, but no response.

Last edited by Cabal0; 08-14-2016 at 06:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception