post #7231 of 7249 Old 08-07-2017, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsho View Post
I'd go for an outside antenna and either a TiVo or a Philips/Magnavox DVR.
Thanks for the input. My Mohu leaf seems to be doing fine (even with KTBC) and I want integration with AndroidTV/FireTV - so will try out the SiliconDust.

xnappo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7232 of 7249 Old 08-27-2017, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 182
I wonder why KEYE OTA has been bad all weekend. Lots of dropouts. No problems on the other major locals.

Their DirecTV signal is good. Do they get a direct feed?
post #7233 of 7249 Old 08-27-2017, 03:52 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7571 Post(s)
Liked: 4230
Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post
I wonder why KEYE OTA has been bad all weekend. Lots of dropouts. No problems on the other major locals.

Their DirecTV signal is good. Do they get a direct feed?
I have not been watching the KEYE OTA feed, but I tuned in when I saw your post. The signal is solid on my system.

post #7234 of 7249 Old 09-18-2017, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question regarding KTBC OTA reception.

I'm looking into becoming a cord-cutter so recently I got an antenna to see how my reception was of Austin OTA channels. I am in the 78728 zipcode so I should be able to get all the Austin channels. I could get all the channels except for KTBC. What was really odd about not getting KTBC is that my TV said my signal strength for KTBC (when I manually tuned the channel) was zero.

My first thought was maybe I bought a UHF only antenna. The box wasn't marked with what bands the antenna covered so I took it back to Fry's and got a different antenna that was explicitly marked "UHF/VHF". But even with the new antenna I got the same results on my TV...zero signal strength for KTBC.

Any body know what's going on here?
post #7235 of 7249 Old 09-18-2017, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc022372 View Post

I'm looking into becoming a cord-cutter so recently I got an antenna to see how my reception was of Austin OTA channels. I am in the 78728 zipcode so I should be able to get all the Austin channels. I could get all the channels except for KTBC. What was really odd about not getting KTBC is that my TV said my signal strength for KTBC (when I manually tuned the channel) was zero.

My first thought was maybe I bought a UHF only antenna. The box wasn't marked with what bands the antenna covered so I took it back to Fry's and got a different antenna that was explicitly marked "UHF/VHF". But even with the new antenna I got the same results on my TV...zero signal strength for KTBC.

Did you buy a VHF or VHF/UHF antenna? Fox requires UHF

Onkyo TX-RZ810 Receiver
Polk Audio RTI A3 Bookshelf Speakers
Polk Audio RTI A1 Bookshelf Speakers
Boston Acoustic VR10 Center
Energy ESW-310 Subwoofer
Samsung UN65ES6500 TV
post #7236 of 7249 Old 09-18-2017, 04:15 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSZsr View Post
?? According to this link, KTBC is VHF.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/KTBC_(TV)
post #7237 of 7249 Old 09-18-2017, 04:21 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:

Very strange. My OTA antenna (Zip 78750, just north of the Pennybacker bridge with a clear line-of-sight to Davenport Ranch antennas) receives KTBC just fine. According to the signal diagnostics on the TV, the signal is 44/100.
post #7238 of 7249 Old 09-18-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSZsr View Post
Like I said, I bought a VHF/UHF antenna so I had both bands covered.
post #7239 of 7249 Old 09-18-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Very strange. My OTA antenna (Zip 78750, just north of the Pennybacker bridge with a clear line-of-sight to Davenport Ranch antennas) receives KTBC just fine. According to the signal diagnostics on the TV, the signal is 44/100.
Thanks...glad to know it's not just me that finds this strange. It's also very frustrating.
post #7240 of 7249 Old 09-19-2017, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

For KTBC you need to point the antenna quite carefully. VHF is a lot lower power than UHF. You might have to go as far as moving to an attic antenna.
post #7241 of 7249 Old 09-19-2017, 08:51 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post
For KTBC you need to point the antenna quite carefully. VHF is a lot lower power than UHF. You might have to go as far as moving to an attic antenna.
I don't think the OP specified the location of the antenna. To clarify, the signal strength I reported earlier is from an outside antenna mounted on the top of my chimney. I have no experience with indoor antennas of any kind.
post #7242 of 7249 Old 09-19-2017, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't think the OP specified the location of the antenna. To clarify, the signal strength I reported earlier is from an outside antenna mounted on the top of my chimney. I have no experience with indoor antennas of any kind.
Yes - the type of antenna is pretty important here
post #7243 of 7249 Old 09-21-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post
Quote:
I bought an RCA SLIVR Amplified Indoor Flat HDTV Antenna Multi Directional.

I can understand how pointing a directional antenna in a better direction will improve the signal. But would does having an antenna point in the wrong direction really result in zero signal strength?
post #7244 of 7249 Old 09-21-2017, 04:08 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Even with my outside antenna, FOX measures 43/100 compared with ABC, which measures 79/100. This demonstrates that the KTBC signal is not as strong. As I said in my previous post, I have no experience with indoor antennas, but it would surprise me if that antenna were very efficient. If you are serious about getting OTA signals, you should consider an outside antenna.
post #7245 of 7249 Old 09-22-2017, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I can understand how pointing a directional antenna in a better direction will improve the signal. But would does having an antenna point in the wrong direction really result in zero signal strength?
Yes - it really can. If it gets below ~35, the tuner will usually just report 0 because it can't tell the signal from the noise.

That antenna isn't going to cut it, unfortunately. Those flat antennas are not really built to receive VHF - them claiming it does is no good... Sure it will receive VHF, but at a much shorter range than UHF.
post #7246 of 7249 Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Even with my attic mounted (non-flat outdoor antenna) in 78664 I needed to carefully align the antenna to get a solid single for KTBC. Once I did that I was still able to receive all of the other Austin channels. A flat antenna probably won't work unless you can mount on it on the roof pointing toward the towers

My brother has this antenna mounted inside his apartment (3rd floor) near 130/Gattis School Road and he can receive KTBC without any issues.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #7247 of 7249 Old Today, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post
Even with my attic mounted (non-flat outdoor antenna) in 78664 I needed to carefully align the antenna to get a solid single for KTBC. Once I did that I was still able to receive all of the other Austin channels. A flat antenna probably won't work unless you can mount on it on the roof pointing toward the towers

My brother has this antenna mounted inside his apartment (3rd floor) near 130/Gattis School Road and he can receive KTBC without any issues.
Thanks for all of the responses. I was hoping that the switch to OTA would be a relative inexpensive one. I now have to decide if I'm willing to spend extra on a directional antenna. My main concern is that I buy this directional antenna, spend money getting it installed, and then it still doesn't work.

Question...do you think if I buy the antenna at Fry's and then just hook it up at my house without installing it I would get as a good a signal versus trying with it installed? I really don't want to spend money on getting the antenna installed if it's not going to work in the long run.
post #7248 of 7249 Old Today, 01:13 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Thanks for all of the responses. I was hoping that the switch to OTA would be a relative inexpensive one. I now have to decide if I'm willing to spend extra on a directional antenna. My main concern is that I buy this directional antenna, spend money getting it installed, and then it still doesn't work.

Question...do you think if I buy the antenna at Fry's and then just hook it up at my house without installing it I would get as a good a signal versus trying with it installed? I really don't want to spend money on getting the antenna installed if it's not going to work in the long run.
Hard to say whether you will be able to get an idea of how well the antenna will work unless it is positioned where it will ultimately be installed. Of course, whatever you do, you will need to run coax between the antenna and your TV. Here is a picture of my antenna. I have a direct line-of-sight to the broadcast antennas in Westlake Hills (~5 miles away).

Installation was not that difficult. There are two mounting brackets to hold the pole, and then a coax run to my equipment rack downstairs. I also have a grounding wire going to a copper water pipe. I don't know how handy you are, but you could install the antenna yourself. Otherwise, I don't think a professional installation would cost that much.
post #7249 of 7249 Old Today, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

No harm in trying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page