Austin, TX - HDTV - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 6927 Old 01-05-2004, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an SA 3250. I used to have the Pace box, but it doesn't work with most universal remotes (in particular, my Pronto Pro).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 6927 Old 01-05-2004, 07:11 PM

OK, I see tons of posts from people discussing all the fine points about this or that TimeWarner-Austin Digital Cable box. What I don't see is anyone asking about, inquiring about, or in any way complaining or discussing that a box is not even neccessary to receive the HD feeds if Time Warner would just get off their collective butt and feed the signal for Local (Network) Channels down the regular cable feed instead of encrytping it and REQUIRING the STB to get it.

Background:

If you go with some company other than Time Warner Austin, make sure you order HD, not digital, cable as far as service (you may find that at least a couple locals come in and can be detected by your new HD TV, which may have an open-cable QAM tuner onboard). You should also be able to receive over-air HDTV without an outboard box. Personally I would not buy a TV at this time that doesn't have a QAM tuner as I hate the additional remotes and cabling involved with external STB's. I also care little about the Premium HD channels at this time. For those a STB will always be required.

Regarding the built in QAM tuner and cable reception: It will receive unscrambled analog and digital cable channels. Just connect the cable tv coax directly to the cable input, run channel setup and it'll find the digital cable channels and a number of analog channels. Most of the digital channels may be blank, BUT most people should receive all of the free local digital channels that are available on the cable sysytem. The channel numbers may be different then what the cable system box shows them as, but it works in other parts of the country, even as close as Time Warner in San Antonio. The tuner must be QAM compatible.

My issue with this; Again, I have the new Sony KDF-70XBR950 but for straight network TV I wish I could just use the built-in Sony tuner over cable without having to have the antenna or an addtional remote. After all I pay for basic cable and those network channels, I should be getting the HD as well as standard signals without having to essentially double my bill with one of their crappy, bug-ridden, STB's.

My suggestion: Call Time-Warner Austin and file a request/complaint. None of the regular drones will even mention this is a possibility (deer in the headlights) if you just dial up, so ask for a engineer in the HD dept and ask them to feed the local HD channels through in the clear, unencrypted. Right now they are using this as a source of revenue to rent their STB's or to upcharge for service that even the lowest subscriber is already paying for. If they get enough calls maybe we can drive some change in their procedures. The one I talked to today said I was the first person to ask for the straight feed like the San Antonio folks get. Yeah right.... Just imagine, no juggling remotes.

Driver
post #63 of 6927 Old 01-05-2004, 08:55 PM

Most projectors, including mine, don't have a tuner. In addition, the multiple remote problem still exists for anyone running their sound through a receiver/amp.

I agree that it would be nice to have the option, though. I only have a STB for my theater, not any of the other TVs in the house.
post #64 of 6927 Old 01-06-2004, 06:11 AM

This thread seems to be nothing more than the official time warner austin thread. I understand that the majority of the locals have time warner (or it sure seems that way) but all this STB talk is useless to everyone else on the list. It is one of those things in a meeting that people "take offline".

Please dont be offended but we should really create an official 2004 Austin Time Warner thread.
post #65 of 6927 Old 01-06-2004, 07:56 AM

Could we not run both a OTB and TW in this thread? It seems that everyone could benefit from the information in both. Just my .02. I got the 3250 box yesterday and after several calls I finally (I think) got it running. What I can seem to locate are the HD indemand channels? Do we get these? If so, what channel number are they? I went through the whole guide several times to only come up empty handed.

Also, any timeline on getting HDNet, HDMovies, or ESPN-HD through TW? I am hooked at this point. Love the thread and all the great help I have recieved from all of yall.

Thanks
post #66 of 6927 Old 01-06-2004, 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by bigbevo2k
Could we not run both a OTB and TW in this thread? It seems that everyone could benefit from the information in both. Just my .02. I got the 3250 box yesterday and after several calls I finally (I think) got it running. What I can seem to locate are the HD indemand channels? Do we get these? If so, what channel number are they? I went through the whole guide several times to only come up empty handed.

Also, any timeline on getting HDNet, HDMovies, or ESPN-HD through TW? I am hooked at this point. Love the thread and all the great help I have recieved from all of yall.

Thanks

We could do that - we have been doing that for sometime now. As far as everyone benefiting, I disagree. For instance, everything after you "Just my .02" is useless to me. But it would be useful for those that were jumping ship over to TW and at that point I would assume they could lookup the necessary info from the other thread.

It is quite possible that I am the only one that it annoys. Anyone else feel the same way?
post #67 of 6927 Old 01-06-2004, 08:34 AM

from TW website

1604 - FoxSportsHD
1603 - DiscoHD
1602 - InHD
1601 - InHD
1531 - KEYE (CBS)
1511 - KVUE (ABC)
1501 - KTBC (Fox)
791 - ShowHD
790 - HBOHD
post #68 of 6927 Old 01-06-2004, 09:09 AM

agree 100% with Bonoc. As a client who would never pay a cable company for anything but internet access, I am only interested in OTA HD. An OTA-only thread would be awesome.
post #69 of 6927 Old 01-06-2004, 09:46 AM

ok, guess I yall are right about seperate threads. I just like trying to get all the HD info I can, and all in one place is seemed ideal.
post #70 of 6927 Old 01-06-2004, 01:26 PM

Well, i think its nice to have both TW and OTA info in the same thread. While I get my local HD via OTA, I like to keep up with the happenings from TW. For instance, a previous post mentioned audio dropouts during the sugar bowl from someone watching the game via TW. I had the same situation watching the game OTA. It can be nice to compare notes when you are trying to troubleshoot any HD issues you run into with feeds, equipment, etc.
post #71 of 6927 Old 01-06-2004, 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckDogg
Well, i think its nice to have both TW and OTA info in the same thread. While I get my local HD via OTA, I like to keep up with the happenings from TW. For instance, a previous post mentioned audio dropouts during the sugar bowl from someone watching the game via TW. I had the same situation watching the game OTA. It can be nice to compare notes when you are trying to troubleshoot any HD issues you run into with feeds, equipment, etc.

I love the info about the content that is shared by TW and D* and OTA. It is all of the back and forth about the STB is annoying.

Dont get me wrong, I dont want to piss off a bunch of people. I want to get an idea as to am I the only one it bothers.
post #72 of 6927 Old 01-06-2004, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

If y'all take a look at what forum this thread is in we could really determine what "should" be discussed here.

Since this thread is in the "Local HDTV Info and Reception", I sort of lean toward the idea that we should be talking about what channels are available, when new ones will be available, and problems we have with recieving them.

However, there was a point where there was little new channel activity, and everyone was just waiting for TWC to come on line with some of the stations and a decent STB. That being said, I think we can safely assume that if you go with TWC, you will either get a PACE box, or a Scientific Atlanta, each of which has its own specific plusses, minuses and issues. However, this doesn't mean that new folks to the forum (or existing ones) won't have problems when they try to switch to TWC HD, and I think it's totally appropriate to seek help here. For those of you who made it this far in my message: the number ONE problem with TWC STBs is *SIGNAL LEVELS*. Sometimes the signal from the street is too weak. Either call TWC and have them fix it on their end, or go get yourself a wideband preamp or amp to put inline between the wall and the STB (basically what TWC does outside your home). Try to get a low noise model that is good to 1Ghz or more.

We are sort of at the point again where there will be little or no new activity in OTA new channels, we are anxiously waiting a few new channels on TWC (ESPN for one), and there is very little that people discuss with regards to satellite.

Therefore, at this point, there technically is very little to talk about... so I dont' see why it's a big deal to use this as a help each other thread. At some point there will be some new great stations or HD activity, and then I'm sure this will turn into a pertinent information thread (i.e. when Fox ups the power and goes 720p).

All that being said - I plan to keep my Austin HDTV summary up to date regardless of what is discussed in this thread. I really don't think the number of posts to this thread is great enough to warrant a separate OTA and TWC thread. What may be an idea (good or bad... you decide) is to have the folks with specific STB questions try the HDTV hardware forum first before they post a question here?!?!

Ok, I'm done rambling.... back the general conversations.
post #73 of 6927 Old 01-06-2004, 03:48 PM

Rob,

Good point. There is not a bunch of activity on this thread and surely their is not enough OTA activity to only talk about that. I love your idea of people first asking hardware questions on the hardware forum and then come here if that fails though.

From the get-go the TW STB talk always drove me nuts. I just didn't want to say anything. But I am sure if the shoe was on the other foot and I had issues w/ the TW STB then I would love the posts.
post #74 of 6927 Old 01-06-2004, 03:51 PM

Has anyone heard any news from KLRU as to when they are going to "flick the HD switch" OTA? I have tried to get in touch w/ previous contacts at KLRU to no avail.
post #75 of 6927 Old 01-06-2004, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

As far as I know, the only thing they were waiting for was some sort of AUTOMATIC flip switcher for HD/Non-HD stuff. I wish in the mean time they could have hired some high-school detention student to manually flip the switch until they received said piece of hardware. :-)

Should be any time now. I bet the long holiday break lead to some delays?
post #76 of 6927 Old 01-06-2004, 04:19 PM

Wow, here I thought we had this nice little community and now everyone's bitching.

Anyway, I don't think 2 seperate threads are needed. There are often times when no one posts on this thread for 3 or 4 days, so its hardly so busy/cluttered to require seperation.

The money pit:
$3800 spent sofar :p
post #77 of 6927 Old 01-06-2004, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by utstimpy
Wow, here I thought we had this nice little community and now everyone's bitching.

Anyway, I don't think 2 seperate threads are needed. There are often times when no one posts on this thread for 3 or 4 days, so its hardly so busy/cluttered to require seperation.

I don't think anybody is bitching. It seems to me that bonoc went out of his way to be diplomatic. Why are differing opinions or ideas so often perceived as bitching?

Anyway, it really doesn't matter to me that everything is in one thread. I'd rather see no information about TWC at all, but it is easy enough for me to ignore those postings.

Murray
post #78 of 6927 Old 01-06-2004, 06:34 PM

Is anyone having problems getting KXAN? Last night and tonight I can't see it. PBS/KVUE/KEYE are coming in fine. I have two antennas hooked
up, A Terk55 which has always pulled in KXAN with some audio drops
early on but that went away. A RS bowtie is my second and is strategically
placed to pull in KEYE as my Terk can't get it. I am in Cedar Park and
wondering if I am seeing the same kind of problems Dave in Leander
is seeing having to rotate the antenna based on what day it is.
post #79 of 6927 Old 01-06-2004, 06:51 PM

Figures. I leave a post and the reception comes back. It's still dropping
audio and video frequenly, but better than blue screen of no channel at all.
If TWC would get there ducks in a row I could just watch in on cable.
post #80 of 6927 Old 01-07-2004, 12:12 AM

i just wanted to thank Driver for his informative post. im trying to decide what route to go to get HD into my home theater and since i am solely using an HTPC, i though HD Tuner card with OTA antenna was my only option. i have TW standard cable (not digital) and so it would be great to be able to get the HD channels via my coax feed into the house and run that feed into a tuner card. (i just dont like the idea of having to deal with installing an antenna and more cables!!) its too bad TW doesnt start running this feed down there standard non-digital line. what do you think the chances are of that??

-paul
post #81 of 6927 Old 01-07-2004, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I agree, HD "OTA" through cable should be free... OTA is free, I assume TWC picks it up free.... I am behind a big hill and get no OTA, I feel I should be able to get it free without having to sell my house. In 2 or 3 years most everything will be HD, they going to start charging more for analog to screw all the folks that don't want to spend >$1000 for a TV?

I like this thread the way it is, lots of info in one place. I am an E* customer without the ability to get OTA. I keep dragging my feet about going "back" to cable... but recent problems getting 811 HD boxes from E*, and that probably getting delayed until after the Superbowl, has me leaning towards TWC... I have a Home Theater, 83" screen, great sound system, and just waiting to take the HD plunge... the variety of this thread (and many others here at AVS) helps a great deal... helps make the decission that much more difficult! Too many opinions.... Too many threads....
post #82 of 6927 Old 01-07-2004, 12:41 PM

Sorry meant to post this thread in the Austin 2004

Has anybody else noticed the picture on FOX-HD is extremely dark. Watching 24 last night on TWC-HD some scenes were so dark that you could not make out faces or individual. I know some of the scenes were suppose to be dark being outside in the middle of the night, but even on the other scenes this could be noticed. I have noticed this other times watching 24 also which is one of the only FOX-HD shows I watch. ABC-HD is gorgeous.

It did not matter if I turned up the contrast. I am wondering if this is from a weak signal. I get drop out and block pixelation on the screen pretty often. I have the SA3250 and Mitsu 55909 TV.

Great thread Rob.

Thanks,
Mark
Austin - Terrytown area
post #83 of 6927 Old 01-07-2004, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

24 was pretty dark non-HD, but HD "should" have better contrast.... That "dark" 811 problem sure needs to get fixed bfore I buy in. My plan is to feed S-video to my new E80H recorder, and component to a projector. Hate to record nothing but dark programs!

A totally unrelated item, non-HD, non-OTA, but what the heck, I'm here, so... has anyone had a problem with CBS on E*, just freezing the picture for like a minute at a time, 4 or 5 times in one night? Is this a STB problem, a CBS problem, or an E* problem?
post #84 of 6927 Old 01-07-2004, 02:51 PM

I'm far away from Austin, but had the same issue with "24" last night too. Although I'm not aware of "24" being broadcast in HD. I was watching 24 through D* and noticed how very dark the scenes were. Too dark to make out much facial detail. I also have an OTA antenna, and when I switched to that, the darkness went away. As a general observation, I've found my OTA picture reception to be better than that from D*.
post #85 of 6927 Old 01-07-2004, 03:18 PM

If you want Time Warner to start giving us the full unencrypted network (Fox, ABC, NBC, etc...) feed of HD signals (as they already DO in San Antonio), then you need to CALL THEM and start giving them the idea that we want it. As I mentioned before the Engineer I talked to said I was the first person that had called asking for it (I don't know if I beleive that...).

If they start getting enough calls then maybe they'll stop putting it out solely through the Digital STB.

Driver
post #86 of 6927 Old 01-07-2004, 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by visualcnc
I agree, HD "OTA" through cable should be free... OTA is free, I assume TWC picks it up free....

actually I would think TWC has to pay. In fact, what other reason would there be for TWC to NOT have NBC right now, other than the fact that NBC and TWC can't agree on a price?

The money pit:
$3800 spent sofar :p
post #87 of 6927 Old 01-08-2004, 01:04 PM

Looks like there's quite a backlog of HD stuff that's available but we in Austin are not getting and I thought a bit of whining was in order. 8-)

So here's my current "when will we get..." list:

1) KLRU-HD: OTA, and on TWC
2) HD DVR (from TWC
3) ESPN-HD
4) HDNet and HDNet Movies
5) Cinemax HD
6) Starz HD
7) TMC HD
8) KXAN-HD on TWC

-Rajiv
post #88 of 6927 Old 01-08-2004, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

HD must be costing somebody something, or TWC, E* and D* would have all stations available.

I have E*, and once I receive their 811 (if ever), I will get ESPN, Discovery, HDnet and HDmovies, CBS, (HBO-HD, Show-HD).

Seems TWC has a little more to offer (especially to someone like me that can't pick up locals OTA). From what I calculate, total rates are almost identical (comparing Top 100 and TW Digital).

I am curious if anyone in Austin has tried both at the same time so PQ could be compared side by side. How do local to locals compare, and how does HD to HD compare?
post #89 of 6927 Old 01-08-2004, 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by rajivarora

So here's my current "when will we get..." list:

2) HD DVR (from TWC

-Rajiv

According to a recent post by Peter on the yahoo cable group ... this month looks good for 160 gigs of HD love.
post #90 of 6927 Old 01-08-2004, 01:59 PM

Excellent pointer! Thanks, Darthnice. Seems like that cable group is the place to go for TWC questions and updates.

-Rajiv
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page