AVS Forum banner

Austin, TX - HDTV

910K views 8K replies 728 participants last post by  Cabal0 
#1 ·
#727 ·
A good source for Sony projectors is Jeff over at Austin DES. 440-7511. Best prices on Sony I've seen yet. Last I knew he had a HS10 demo for under 2K w/a new bulb. His price on the all new HS20 is under 3K. I bought my 70" XBR950 from him.

#728 ·
Kenneth,

$4800 fix for a projector that can't possibly cost more than $3.5k new (if they still made it). Heck, 4 years ago I only paid $5422, so I don't know what that psycho repair place is talking about.

What exactly is the problem. Any chance you want to seel it for way cheap once it totaly dies. I take it the power button is on the way out? I"m psycho enough to try to fix it if it would give me anohter projector, but I don't think I'd want to try to fix it as a repair for you. :p

#729 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by WSZsr
I can receive several channels north of Round Rock but I can not receive any Austin stations.

Strange. I'm in Georgetown, a little over 20 miles from the Austin towers. I get ABC, NBC, CBS and WB with the Silver Sensor no problem. I cannot get any channels north of Round Rock.

It's simply sitting on top of my TV, no amp or anything.

I wonder if you've got a bad line of sight situation.

#730 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by chris_fowler99
Strange. I'm in Georgetown, a little over 20 miles from the Austin towers. I get ABC, NBC, CBS and WB with the Silver Sensor no problem. I cannot get any channels north of Round Rock.

It's simply sitting on top of my TV, no amp or anything.

I wonder if you've got a bad line of sight situation.

No idea. Today I purchased one of the new Winegard Squareshooters for $88.00. It has no preamp. I installed it on the roof but down low at gutter level and pointed it in the general direction of Austin TV towers (215 degrees). I now receive all the Austin stations(KXAN, KVUE, KEYE, KNVA and KLRU. I also receive KCEN, KXXV and KNCT. What a difference!

Winegard Squareshooter

#733 ·
Re: KLRU

So what's the latest on HD? I mailed in my membership questionnaire form, reminding them that ~64% of all US PBS affiliates have at least one HD channel. And that, no, their three or four cartoon-babysitting sub-channels were not particularly to my liking, and were a waste of bandwidth, &c.

And I should have said that Austin is argueably the most wired city in the U.S., so why should we have to keep watching PBS HD feeds in crappy SD? But, honoring my belief in civil discourse, I didn't....

AMc

#734 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by a. macree
Re: KLRU

So what's the latest on HD? I mailed in my membership questionnaire form, reminding them that ~64% of all US PBS affiliates have at least one HD channel. And that, no, their three or four cartoon-babysitting sub-channels were not particularly to my liking, and were a waste of bandwidth, &c.

And I should have said that Austin is argueably the most wired city in the U.S., so why should we have to keep watching PBS HD feeds in crappy SD? But, honoring my belief in civil discourse, I didn't....

AMc

I called in ~ 6/17 and spoke w/ someone there and they once again told me that they were having issues w/ their automation systems that switch between SD and HD. Once again I was told that it should be any day. Heard that one before (several times).

#738 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by bonoc
I called in ~ 6/17 and spoke w/ someone there and they once again told me that they were having issues w/ their automation systems that switch between SD and HD. Once again I was told that it should be any day. Heard that one before (several times).

It would be nice if we could see at least some of the new season of Soundstage

in HD but I am not holding my breath. Cheryl Crow is on the next 2 shows.

Hurry up KLRU

glyptol

#739 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by pressman
About three days ago, I lost the audio on all the digital channels. Every channel that comes in analog is fine, but no digital channels have sound. I have TWC with an SA 8000HD connected to a Denon reciever with digital coax cable. Any ideas?

Thanks

Jonathan

Jonathan,

Now that the new firmware turns the 8000HD off somtimes I have to change the audio setting on the input that my digital coax is assigned to. I.e. change it from DTS/Dolby Digital to stereo or 5 channel stereo and then back again. I've noticed that for some reason if the 800HD isn't on when the receiver is turned to that input that the Denon can get confused so I'd try changing the setting on that input to something else and then back again.

#740 ·
Hi guys...

I've been reading this thread for a while now, but never posted to it before. Has anyone heard how the talks are going between TW and the local (Austin) NBC affiliate regarding NBC in HD? I've got TW right now, and I'm P.O'd because I can't get any of my favorite NBC shows in HD. About half of what I watch each week is on NBC.

Unless someone here knows for sure that TW is going to start airing NBC in HD sometime soon, I think I'm going to switch to OTA.

On a related note, I saw several posts about varying degrees in quality of compression. Does anyone know if the quality of OTA high-def is better/worse/the same as what I'm getting for high-def via TW?

Thanks!

#741 ·
I watch TW for everything except NBC which I get OTA. NBC does not have

the crisp/bright quality that CBS does, but I think thats the show, as

Law and Order always seems to be drab vs the vibrance of the CSI shows.

Out in Cedar Park with an indoor Terk, NBC sometimes has audio drops

and once a month or two drops altogether for some mysterious reason.

I have to switch to a RadioShack double bowtie to pick up CBS/ABC OTA

(forget FOX) but then I cant get NBC so I leave that antenna off. I have also not noticed fabulous dolby sound on NBC OTA, but that may also be

the shows that I watch (L&O, ER).

FOX OTA), but then I lose NBC.

#742 ·
Hi wayneb64,

Answer: (For me anyways.). Dump TWC and go D*. Plus, Cedar Park is not that far away from the towers for OTA. First, dump the Terk(!). Second, try a Silver Sensor atop your STB. No Joy? Take it back and try a Square-Shooter.

FWIW,

AMc

PS: If you've got a RatShack double bow-tie, at your distance, and it doesn't work, something's really-really wrong with its orientation, height or placement.

A.

#743 ·
The bowtie works for CBS & ABC, but no matter what orientation cannot get NBC reliably. The Terk gets NBC no problem, but cannot get the other

two. I am really quite happy with TWC and the HD PVR (god I hate saying

that, believe me) and the DVCR work fine for taping ER/L&O. If I get a

good antenna and give up TWC, I have no decent recording solution,

or Discovery HD or TnT HD. I also have an ancient DirecTV system for

NFL Sunday Ticket which I dont think D* has. If the NFL goes all HD,

I may uprade to a dual LMB dish and probably will have to get a new

tuner, so maybe at that time I could get a HD Tivo as well, if I could

get the local channels without a damn waiver. Does DirecTV have

SciFi or UPN HD? Does D*? The Silver Sensor would be worth trying

if I got the HD Tivo I guess, assuming it has OTA support as well, but

then I lose Fox HD. Damn this is a pain isn't it?

#744 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by wayneb64
The bowtie works for CBS & ABC, but no matter what orientation cannot get NBC reliably. The Terk gets NBC no problem, but cannot get the other

two. I am really quite happy with TWC and the HD PVR (god I hate saying

that, believe me) and the DVCR work fine for taping ER/L&O. If I get a

good antenna and give up TWC, I have no decent recording solution,

or Discovery HD or TnT HD. I also have an ancient DirecTV system for

NFL Sunday Ticket which I dont think D* has. If the NFL goes all HD,

I may uprade to a dual LMB dish and probably will have to get a new

tuner, so maybe at that time I could get a HD Tivo as well, if I could

get the local channels without a damn waiver. Does DirecTV have

SciFi or UPN HD? Does D*? The Silver Sensor would be worth trying

if I got the HD Tivo I guess, assuming it has OTA support as well, but

then I lose Fox HD. Damn this is a pain isn't it?

Wayne,

I live in Round Rock. I tried the Silver Sensor and could not get a single Austin station. I then purchased a Winegard Square Shooter and now receive them all. I recommend the SS2000 as it includes a built in preamp.

#745 ·
Anyone tried out VOOM & how it compares to TWC ? They seem to have a lot more HD channels but most of the extra ones don't seem very interesting.

Would SDTV be better coming thru VOOM ? Unfortunately, most of our TV viewing includes a host of SD channels. After watching the HD channels, it is really painful to watch the SD channels !

#747 ·
It's DirecTV I think. People are either too lazy to type it or I guess its just a shorter way to type it. I know of very few people still using Dish but that may just be me.

#750 ·
I live in Round Rock and am finally taking the HDTV plunge. Got the important piece last week (42" Panasonic plasma) and I have my DirecTV/Tivo/HD unit coming next week.

Not sure about what antenna to put up for OTA. Looks like the SquareShooter is the recommended unit. I will be mounting it on the dish so hopefully I will get a good picture.

#751 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by 330cic
I live in Round Rock and am finally taking the HDTV plunge. Got the important piece last week (42" Panasonic plasma) and I have my DirecTV/Tivo/HD unit coming next week.

Not sure about what antenna to put up for OTA. Looks like the SquareShooter is the recommended unit. I will be mounting it on the dish so hopefully I will get a good picture.

I live in Forest Creek. The SquareShooter works well for me with my Sansung SIR-T351.