Austin, TX - HDTV - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 6918 Old 08-09-2004, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OTA tuner setup, configured, and ready to go!

I wonder if there will be high rate of return (in the Austin area) of OTA STB after the Olympics?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 6918 Old 08-09-2004, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Driver
...So break out that wallet and go buy you a OTA tuner if you want to see the Olympics....

Hear, Hear!
It's gonna be better PQ than cable, anyway, so Live With It!.
PS: There's this gorgeous tiny Moto OTA box just waiting for you at
CC(msrp $299), or an open-box Samsung TS-160 for $129(BB), but one month into the Olympics and you won't even remember either hit....
Enjoy,
AMc
post #903 of 6918 Old 08-10-2004, 10:06 AM

I've read about rampant problems across the nation last night with MNF's audio feed---especially the rear speakers. I noticed it too for KVUE on my OTA signal and my TWC feed. It appears to be that circle surround crap but I've read many people swearing up and down that MNF uses ABC equipment (as opposed to ESPN equipment) that is capable of true DD 5.1. Did anyone get true DD 5.1 last night (i.e. without using ProII)???
post #904 of 6918 Old 08-10-2004, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I noticed that the MNF sound was horrible too. I wasn't hearing anything out of the surrounds, and most of the time, the center channel was the only thing doing any sound production, of course until the commercials came on.

Disappointing in my opinion. I am also disappointed that the broadcast is 1080i instead of 720p. I don't know why KVUE decided to upconvert everything from 720p -> 1080i.
post #905 of 6918 Old 08-10-2004, 10:37 AM

I only watched a few minutes of it but it seemed fine on my surround setup (6.1). I would be interested as to the type of surround setups the complainers have and if they've played with the various modes of their equipment. Also if they just tried switching it to 2 channels stereo, if they've ever properly calibrated their surround setup. Again, mine sounded fine for the little amount of time I watched. Saying it sucked with little qualification on what type of surround system you are using is just too little information, especially when half the populace out there thinks those $400 matchbox-speakers-in-a-box is a "true" surround setup..

Driver
post #906 of 6918 Old 08-10-2004, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well... I use a Samsung SIR-T151 driving a Sony STR-DB830 DD/DTS 5.1 Receiver which drives 5 Infinity SM-series speakers and a Velodyne subwoofer.

I heard nothing coming from the rears, little coming from the fronts, and much coming from the center. My setup has been working fine for years, and this is probably the worst sounding MNF game I've come across. To be fair, I did only watch a few minutes near halftime. And I could detect audio switching changes, so maybe ABC was just having issues at that piont.
post #907 of 6918 Old 08-10-2004, 11:10 AM

WOW Driver! All your words after "especially" strikes me as a very condescending atitude towards those less fortunate persons not blessed wth the perfect system in the perfect room! I agree that the comments should be more specific, but why call these persons complainers???
post #908 of 6918 Old 08-10-2004, 02:20 PM

Wow! Taking issue with the word "complainer". Well thats what it is, a complaint, so the people making them are complainers, there's nothing condescending about it. Heck, I've been a complainer before and will be again. I complained to TW about basic HD channels and backed it up with citys where where they do things differently, it was the only way I achieved results. Sure it took 7 months, but it eventually worked out. The more info you provide up front then the more serious your complaint will be taken. And early on I wasn't as educated about it as I became at the 3 month mark.

And as I mentioned people need to quantify their setups. Period. If you were ever able to get the ear of a broadcast engineer they are going to ask you specific questions. I just think its better (in case they're lurking around here somewhere) if you put it all out there to begin with. My system is nowhere near what I would call exotic or even high-end, I'd call it upper middle end if anything. I paid more for my tv than my amplifier, cabling and speakers combined. At the same time if I worked for a station and I get a call from someone saying the sound sucked and found out they had a really el-cheapo surround setup (you get what you pay for), with no attention paid to basic calibration and no alternate sound fields tried then I'd blow it off. There are just way too many variables left untried in that situation. And no, those people out there that have the all-in-one amp/dvd/surround unit I am not meaning to belittle you. Please be aware that the Radio Shacks, Circuit Citys and Best Buys sell these so inexpensively for a reason. Fine for the kids room or a travel trailer, not so much for a comparision to a real theater-like experience. That's just my opinion, take it or leave it, none of it is meant to be taken maliciously.

Driver
post #909 of 6918 Old 08-10-2004, 09:13 PM

I am a basic TWC-using moron and am interested in seeing the Olympics in HDTV. Can anyone up near 620 & 183 confirm that an OTA tuner is capable of pulling in NBC in this area? I don't mind the (throwaway since I don't follow any shows on NBC) cost of the tuner so much since there is always eBay, but the installation of an antenna seems like it could be "painful". I would hate to go through the trouble to find that NBC can't be received up here. I live in the Anderson Mill triangle with 620 & 183 to be exact.

Thanks!
post #910 of 6918 Old 08-10-2004, 09:37 PM

I live in Cedar Park, NW of LakeLine mall and can pull in NBC with a Terk
indoor antenna mounted 9 feet up the wall. According to most on this thread the Terk is crap, so if you pick up a better indoor antenna like
some mentioned in this thread you should not have to many problems.
I have been considering the SquareShooter (I think its called) to mount
on my sattelite dish as on some nights NBC will drop out, or have the
occasional audio drop.
post #911 of 6918 Old 08-10-2004, 09:45 PM

Interesting Cowboy news ... the Aug 14 preseason game vs the Texans will be shown on two stations Fox KTBC DT and CBS KEYE DT. Titan tv doesn't mention that they'll be HD ... but for those that get both stations it will be interesting to compare the PQ and sound...

Anything new on increased power for KTBCDT?
post #912 of 6918 Old 08-11-2004, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Coming down to the Olympics wire. Any news in the LIN-KXAN/TWC staredown? If this event doesn't get someone to blink it might be another two years.
post #913 of 6918 Old 08-11-2004, 07:56 AM

I pickup NBC with an RCA Silver Sensor from Georgetown with no problem. 620 and 183 should be easy.
post #914 of 6918 Old 08-11-2004, 07:59 AM

Interesting news from KWKT in Temple (for anyone that is needing a waiver from them).

I received an email from Louis Strowger stating that they will be installing the FOX HD equipment within two weeks, but, similar to KTBC, they will be moving digital channels in the future, so they won't be increasing power until 2006-2007 for OTA signals.

I had asked specifically about obtaining a waiver to allow me to receive the national FOX HD signal once it is available.

His statement to me is that they deny all waivers in their DMA (Area of dominant influence) and grant all waivers for viewers in adjacent markets.

Specifically he said that if I sent in a waiver request through DirecTV that it would be automatically granted by his filter software as soon as he processes it (about 2-3 days, usually).

So...some good news for FOX HD in Georgetown.
post #915 of 6918 Old 08-11-2004, 12:45 PM

From the cable yahoo!group:

> Date: Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:17 pm
> Subject: RE: [cable] Gut instinct, Peter...is NBC-HD going to happen in time?
>
> I will reply to this later tonight.
>
> Peter

Let the rumor-mongering commence.
post #916 of 6918 Old 08-11-2004, 08:57 PM

From the Yahoo Cable group:

Quote:
Would love to post more. There will be an article in the statesman in the
morning. Cant say what exactly, but if you have HD, reboot your box after 12:05
or so and you will see a new channel (just 1 for now). Otherwise, read the
paper in the morning and check your box....again you may have to reboot to get
it on.

Peter

This is, of course, assumed to be NBC-HD (KXAN) on channel 1521...
post #917 of 6918 Old 08-11-2004, 10:17 PM

Yep, channel 1521 is live now showing Conan O'Brien in all it's SD glory The PQ isn't any better on this SD show then on channel 4, but it is just as bad on my OTA feed of NBC, so I am not concerned... We'll see what it looks like during ER tomorrow night and the Olympic Opening Ceremonies on Friday night...

As someone pointed out on the Cable group, the (just one for now) comment from Peter probably means that KNVA (WB) is not coming just yet... This could mean that this KXAN deal is a temporary thing just for the Olympics... I guess we'll find out in the Statesman in the morning...
post #918 of 6918 Old 08-12-2004, 06:06 AM

Thanks all for the info about NBC HD via an OTA tuner. I was ready to go shopping after work today when I wake up to see this news about NBC both here and over at the Statesman web site. Hmmm. If this deal is indeed temporary, I wonder wouldn't KXAN be asking a much elevated price?
post #919 of 6918 Old 08-12-2004, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Yep!!!!! KXAN up and running on 1521. Read Statesman section "B" and on "B-5".
post #920 of 6918 Old 08-12-2004, 10:39 AM

i'm using an antenna now (not getting fox, o' course) and I'm thinking of switching to TW just for the HD feed. I have an STB (Sammy SIRT351X) - will my STB be able to decode the local HD broadcast signals TW sends over their coax? And is that signal avail for their cheapest basic cable offering? (I have DirecTV and prefer it's superior picture). Only thing I watch in HD are some network shows and sports, which is why I have not switched to HD DirecTV, which wouldn't give me locals.
post #921 of 6918 Old 08-12-2004, 11:01 AM

95% sure that the SIRT351 can decode QAM signals
post #922 of 6918 Old 08-12-2004, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Cool about KXAN-DT!! Someday my lazy butt will get moving and update the summary.

About the Samsung 351... I think, as spydrev said, it will do QAM, but I would suggest just giving it a shot if you own one. :-P
post #923 of 6918 Old 08-12-2004, 07:08 PM

I haven't seen KXAN up on the Basic Cable HD feed, maybe they got greedy and require their Digital STB for that one. If someone is seeing it on their QAM tuner please relate what channel they are getting it on.

Driver
post #924 of 6918 Old 08-12-2004, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spydrev
...(I have DirecTV and prefer it's superior picture). Only thing I watch in HD are some network shows and sports, which is why I have not switched to HD DirecTV, which wouldn't give me locals.

OK. Help me out here. You've got OTA HD on locals. You've got D* and prefer its PQ. So:
1. You've already got the best locals via OTA(Cable is far inferior PQ to OTA, IME).
2. You have not tried D*HDTV package? $10.99/mo.? OMan. Discovery HD and Animal Planet and Bikini Destinations and various free-bees on 84, &c. are, to me, worth WAY more. Try it out. You'll never look back. (Disclaimer: I am not a M. Cuban plant).
AMc
PS: And mark my words, you'll be so spoiled as to never watch an SD pic again....(My experience only. YMMV.).
A.
post #925 of 6918 Old 08-12-2004, 08:53 PM

So exactly what channels are available in HD on DirecTV?
Did the channel list ever get updated somewhere with these?
Does anyone provide HD PPV yet?
post #926 of 6918 Old 08-12-2004, 09:03 PM

PQ on ER tonight was pretty close between cable and OTA, but Leno OTA is blowing away Leno cable right now
post #927 of 6918 Old 08-13-2004, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by a. macree
OK. Help me out here. You've got OTA HD on locals. You've got D* and prefer its PQ. So:
1. You've already got the best locals via OTA(Cable is far inferior PQ to OTA, IME).
2. You have not tried D*HDTV package? $10.99/mo.? OMan. Discovery HD and Animal Planet and Bikini Destinations and various free-bees on 84, &c. are, to me, worth WAY more. Try it out. You'll never look back. (Disclaimer: I am not a M. Cuban plant).
AMc
PS: And mark my words, you'll be so spoiled as to never watch an SD pic again....(My experience only. YMMV.).
A.

Main reason for TW is I want fox for the football. I also want a DVR (already have Ultimate TV DVR for my regular D*). I was waiting for the hughes dvr250 to come down a little and then switch to D* HD. Looks like I might have to wait too long. Anyone get a waiver from Fox so they can get the national Fox HD feed on D*?
post #928 of 6918 Old 08-13-2004, 06:01 AM

Feel free to correct me but to my understanding we should be able to receive Fox-HD through D* when it goes live. My assumption is based on the fact that I get CBS-HD through them so why not Fox.

On a side note I looked into getting TW just for the DVR and talked to a rep and she said that I could get the basic package which includes the locals (that's all I really care about) and HBO for a total of 37.19 a month (discounted price being a D* customer). She also said I do not have to give up my D*, a nice bonus. I figure the HD-Tivo (went through two trying to get sound issue worked out but to no avail) is $1000. So take that $1k and divide by TW monthly that gives me about 27 months of HD-DVR service. Gives me time for what I want now while waiting for all of the bugs to get worked out of the HD-Tivo and the price to drop. Besides who knows whats really going to happen with D* and it's relationship with Tivo much info (rumors) flying around.

Anyway, let the games begin!
post #929 of 6918 Old 08-13-2004, 06:21 AM

If you are in Austin you should get the FOX national HD feed once it goes live. FOX and CBS in Austin are O&O (NBC and ABC aren't) so no waiver is needed.

If you are in Georgetown you will need a waiver from KWKT in Waco/Temple, but they have assured me that they will grant one.
post #930 of 6918 Old 08-13-2004, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by chris_fowler99
If you are in Austin you should get the FOX national HD feed once it goes live. FOX and CBS in Austin are O&O (NBC and ABC aren't) so no waiver is needed.

If you are in Georgetown you will need a waiver from KWKT in Waco/Temple, but they have assured me that they will grant one.

I knew that CBS was O&O but thought that Fox wasn't. Are you sure about Fox? I'm getting them both OTA in SW Austin, so I've never signed up for locals through D*.

Just recently D* gave me 6 months free of locals so I called a few days ago about getting the HD feed for CBS. The customer service rep knew next to nothing about HD and had to keep consulting with her supervisor. They told me I would need a waiver for CBS -- I told them I didn't think so but they insisted. Is this just a case of misinformed service reps and should I call back and insist that I don't need a waiver.

thanks,

Murray
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page