AVS Forum banner

Austin, TX - HDTV

910K views 8K replies 728 participants last post by  Cabal0 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Someone go b!tch slap the person in charge over at NBC so they'll give TWC the go. I want my ER in HD damnit!

#5 ·
This is my first post on this forum after several years of lurking and spending too much money base on the advice of other forum members. And money went spent I will add. Now that I finally got an HD display device, I better start following this thread. I tried to read the "2003" many times but never got through. Glad to see a new start.

Anyway, does anyone else here have experience with the Pioneer OTA HD tuner that came with the Pro1110. I keep getting signals from stations in all shape and sized with changes throughout the day. Only CBS seem to consistently fille 16:9 aspect ratio. I am sorry if this is a dumb question. I am very new to all this stuff but very excited to learn from you all.

#6 ·
(I don't have any experience with OTA so this may be completely wrong, but I'm just trying to help
)

A lot of programming is still not HD right now, so I would guess they are transmitting SD 4:3 stuff to you. Use your TVs stretch modes to make it fill the screen.

EDIT:

link to the end of the old thread

#7 ·
"The Young and the Restless" is the only "Big Three" 16:9 HD daytime programming that I'm aware of. Otherwise, it's upconverted 480i and 4:3. Some OTA (like the Zenith) will allow one to set the scaling/ratio. However (as I understand it), the station can determine that the aspect can't be altered. That's why the 24-2 (radar) can be rescaled whereas 24-1 cannot.

#8 ·
Rob,

Here's a couple updates on the HDTV scene here in San Antonio. Our PBS station, KLRN-DT, is multicasting two channels during the day and during the evening. Our local Sinclair-owned Fox and WB affiliates are transmitting 480i upconverts with worse audio and video quality than the traditional analog channels.

Also, KLRN, KABB and KRRT are all operating at significantly reduced power. Once the San Antonio stations go full power one should be able to view the reliably from San Marcos, perhaps even from further north.

Jim

P.S. Hope your local Fox station gets their act together soon. I'd like for at least one of the Fox stations in Central Texas to not suck.

#11 ·
HDNET seems to only have been turned on for the NBA game last night. Although is was still on about an hour after the game. Now, I checked this morning and FOXHD was turned on but there was no picture. This is kinda confusing if you don't keep on top of it, that's for sure.

#19 ·
Yeah... UTStimpy... I don't know where that left field comment came frome!

Paul, UTS has been around here enough for us to know that he was just correcting some mis-information, NOT being an "infallable bully". Not to mention --> with the speed at which I scan these threads, a correction like that is good, b/c otherwise I might accidentally commit some mis-info to memory, and then screw it up in the future.

#20 ·
I think Paul was just pulling your chain. He's been quite friendly in the San Antonio threads. I don't think there was any harm intended. Although the smilies are useful for that sort of comment...

Jim

#21 ·
I just set up a DirecTV / OTA combo for HD (Samsung 160) in Austin. I live in West Lake, quite close to the towers. I get excellent reception of NBC and CBS HD but do not get KVUE (ABC). Are they broadcasting over the air? Any thoughts on why I might not get KVUE?

Thanks in advance for your help. I read through the threads at one time and this may have been addresses; if so I apologize.

Mark

#22 ·
Mark,

Please check the huge link in the first post. You will see that KVUE is broadcasting at a respectible power level. Unless you live in some sort of "no-mans-land" for ABC's transmission pattern, you should receive ABC no problem.

Try tweaking your antenna directions a bit... that may help. Make sure you have done an AUTO scan, or check channel 24 or 33.

Also, check to see if you can get PBS.... it is at a similar power to ABC, and it's on the same tower.

If none of those work... well... ask for more help and I'll do more thinking.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!

#24 ·
HDnet and HDNet Movies soon to be added to TWC. Check the HDNet website for the press release. Over on the HDTV-Programming threads, a guy in San Antonio mentions it's already available in thier market.

Nice additon! When it will be available in Austin is anyone's guess.

Don't bother calling TW-Austin. I tried (against my better judgement) and they had no idea as usual. It's funny, the folks on these threads know more about what's going on than they do. They should just forward callers to AVS Fourm.

JA