Duluth, MN - HDTV - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 219 Old 05-28-2008, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
sorry.. I posted this in the wrong thread.. LOL..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 219 Old 05-28-2008, 10:58 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by denyart View Post

Are these stations scrapping the idea of retrans and just running the Duluth transmitters?

You are talking about translators. There are a number of them in Itasca, Koochiching, and northern St. Louis counties, as well as in Grand Marais. They are not included in the mandatory digital transition and many will continue to operate in analog for years to come. At some point, they will be required to switch to digital.

I work for the FOX affiliate in the market. We have eight translators and I'm told they won't be converted to digital for a few years, though the construction permits to make the switch have been issued. None of the other translators in the market has gotten a CP for a digital conversion.

Translators are not to be confused with satellite stations, which are full-power stations that relay another station. The ones in question here are WIRT/13 Hibbing (ABC) and KRII/11 Chisholm (NBC), and the future WRPT-DT/31 Hibbing (PBS). Currently, WIRT is the only station with a digital channel. KRII will "flash-cut" to digital next year, and WRPT will sign on next year. I wouldn't be surprised if KRII also carries CBS on a subchannel, since the owner of the station also runs the CBS affilate in the market.

So, in short...this year, ABC only. Next year, ABC, NBC, PBS, and maybe CBS. A couple years from now, add FOX.
post #93 of 219 Old 05-29-2008, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Cool, thanks! I think the best part of all of this is that for now I can go ahead with my antenna setup. If I can get analog Fox (the closest one) it should be there until it goes digital. I wonder if the signal is so bad that I can't. My only anectdotal evidence was my fil saying they used to watch a really snowy analog picture with a pair of rabbit ears. He said he didn't want to mess around with an antenna anymore, but in my opinion messing around with rabbit ears doesn't even count. He never tried an antenna seriously, and after looking at the proximity to the stations, I am pretty sure a decent outdoor antenna should work. I just hope they are all close enough to use a multi-directional one like a MS-2000 Winegard. I really didn't want to add the expense of a rotor, but his location has stations to the northeast, south, and southwest that we would want to try to get. I will let you know how it all works out. I think it will be a 4th of July weekend project. Cheers!

Win7Ult x64:P8Z77V Deluxe, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6670, i5-3570k, 3 Ceton InfiniTV4 PCIe, Hauppauge 2250, Fractal Arc Midi SSP
post #94 of 219 Old 06-19-2008, 11:12 PM

Very good DTV DX tonight from the SW corner of Hermantown:

MSP 26, 32, 34, 35, 40, 44, and 50 in with good signals
MSP 21 and 22 also in, but with weaker signals

Eau Claire 15 and 28 in very well. 49 also in, but weak (probably low power)

La Crosse 41 in with a fairly good signal...190 miles!
post #95 of 219 Old 06-20-2008, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 47
kcO,

what kind of antenna are you using. I'm using a cheap-0 walmart powered antenna and can only pick up the local stations.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

post #96 of 219 Old 06-20-2008, 12:36 PM

Channel Master 4228, mounted about 5' off my roof (so about 25-30' up I'm guessing) with a rotator.

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...p?PROD=ANC4228

Only $50 + $27 shipping for the antenna. Very nice - one of the better ones out there. Very directional.

Later that night I had some of the analog translators Jon was talking about - KLKS-LP from Breezy Point (relaying KARE), K16BQ from Brainerd, coming in in color (relaying KSAX), K17FE from Wadena, also with KSAX, and Fox 21's translators on 15 (Grand Rapids) and 39 (Aitkin).
post #97 of 219 Old 07-05-2008, 03:06 PM

anyone know what the deal with fox is lately? i havent watched during the week cause of re-runs but the last 3 weeks saturday baseball has been sd...are they having signal probs?
post #98 of 219 Old 12-20-2008, 11:58 AM

I am sure that some of you are using a HTPC for DVR with the OTA digital TV. I have had mine up and running for about 7 months now, and their is one nagging issue. It only happens on 8.2, but even with great signal (I live in Cloquet, and have a channel master combo outside on the roof SNR 30 with 0 errors) when I watch that channel in media center. it intermittently goes black and then comes back. Eventually (after about 3-4 of those) I get the blue Video Error screen, telling me that the software can playback these video files. so i will click the channel change button to either 8.1 or 8.3 and then back again to 8.2 and it works gain for about 15-30 minutes.

i have done a little bit of research, and I think it has something to do with the broadcast PSIP and media centers xml files. but I am not sure.

System is brand new, built by me and this is the only problem with it.
windows xp media center SP3
media center update rollup 2
nvidia 8500 gt
intel e1800 dual core 1.8 Ghz
2 Gb ddr2 1066

Anybody else experience this, or have a decent place to start?
post #99 of 219 Old 12-20-2008, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dostalaj View Post

I am sure that some of you are using a HTPC for DVR with the OTA digital TV. I have had mine up and running for about 7 months now, and their is one nagging issue. It only happens on 8.2, but even with great signal (I live in Cloquet, and have a channel master combo outside on the roof SNR 30 with 0 errors) when I watch that channel in media center. it intermittently goes black and then comes back. Eventually (after about 3-4 of those) I get the blue Video Error screen, telling me that the software can playback these video files. so i will click the channel change button to either 8.1 or 8.3 and then back again to 8.2 and it works gain for about 15-30 minutes.

i have done a little bit of research, and I think it has something to do with the broadcast PSIP and media centers xml files. but I am not sure.

System is brand new, built by me and this is the only problem with it.
windows xp media center SP3
media center update rollup 2
nvidia 8500 gt
intel e1800 dual core 1.8 Ghz
2 Gb ddr2 1066

Anybody else experience this, or have a decent place to start?

I haven't used a media center pc up your way, but I have used one for a long time here in central Iowa. I have seen the exact same thing on my systems here on one and only one channel, PBS. It is something that bugged me a little too, but being it was only PBS's signal I just assumed it was something in the signal that was not agreeing well with media center. I thought about contacting the engineers at IPTV to see if we could get together and sort this thing out, but I never did go to the trouble. I believe what happens is something in the signal causes media center's decoder to hang badly, but I have obviously never gotten to the bottom of it. Does the station you're referring to happen to be a PBS station? Just curious.

Win7Ult x64:P8Z77V Deluxe, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6670, i5-3570k, 3 Ceton InfiniTV4 PCIe, Hauppauge 2250, Fractal Arc Midi SSP
post #100 of 219 Old 02-23-2009, 02:33 PM

Help!
WDIO shifted their digital signal from UHF 43 to VHF 10. While this was not a problem for my Samsung HD Tuner (picked it up with a rescan), I am not able to get it with a rescan on my Vista Mediacenter-enabled PCs. They keep locking in to the UHF 43 (I'm guessing) and finding no signal there. Is there any way to manually ask Mediacenter to lock into VHF 10 for the digital signal? Where can I put in the "real" channel in Mediacenter?

Thanks.

Rajiv
post #101 of 219 Old 02-23-2009, 03:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvaidyan View Post

Help!
WDIO shifted their digital signal from UHF 43 to VHF 10. While this was not a problem for my Samsung HD Tuner (picked it up with a rescan), I am not able to get it with a rescan on my Vista Mediacenter-enabled PCs. They keep locking in to the UHF 43 (I'm guessing) and finding no signal there. Is there any way to manually ask Mediacenter to lock into VHF 10 for the digital signal? Where can I put in the "real" channel in Mediacenter?

Thanks.

http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/post/251356.aspx

Substitute the channel numbers accordingly.

Are you running Vista 32-bit or 64-bit?

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #102 of 219 Old 02-23-2009, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Well, the TGB article is sort of accurate.If the station actually moved, then you can go through the process of adding the channel without deleting the line in the xml file. Then you can hide the channel that doesn't work, or uncheck it in the signal strength part. One thing you can't fix is if the station has a problem in their information as they send it out your media center will ignore it. This happened more in the past when station engineers didn't know what they were doing with the signal. A local station here in central IA once broadcast their signal as channel 59 on UHF-59. They were supposed to be sending 5-1 on UHF-59. This broke the media center and one had to add 59-1 on 59 to get that to work. It was sort of a similar problem except the media center saw full signal but didn't show anything since it couldn't find a stream for 5-1.
Now here is what I would do.
From TGB post with modifications by me to help you out:
1. Start Media Center
2. Select settings from main menu
3. Select TV
4. Select Guide
5. Select Add Missing Channels
6. Select Add DTV Channel
7. Enter the Major number of 10 (or substitute your station here) and the minor number of 1 should be automatically entered.
8. Select Next
9. Enter assigned frequency of 10 (substitute your frequency here - google for it, but i suggest http://www.tvfool.com/ or antennaweb.org)
10. Select Next
11. Select Finish
12. Select Done
13. Select Back on your Remote
14. Select Digital TV Antenna Signal Strength (if you have scheduled recordings, answer YES)
15. Here is where I would uncheck your non-working channel 10, but leave the one you added(for this reason I usually add it with a non-caps name)
16. Watch the channel checks as they scroll by and you should now have a signal from WDIO-DT

Lastly you'll need to edit the listings for the channel you added manually and tell it to use the old WDIO-DT's listings for the Guide, and help Trip out by catching some info if you're using 32-bit Vista. Its easy and only takes a few minutes.

post #103 of 219 Old 02-24-2009, 07:18 AM

Thanks a lot. This worked.

Looks like zap2it still has WDIO at the old UHF location and this is tripping up Windows Media Center.

Any idea how to get Zap2It to fix their listing?

- Rajiv

Rajiv
post #104 of 219 Old 02-24-2009, 07:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:

Looks like zap2it still has WDIO at the old UHF location and this is tripping up Windows Media Center.

- Rajiv

I found this list of phone numbers for Tribune Media Services but I honestly have no idea who you would call.

http://tms.tribune.com/contacts.html

Is there any chance I could get a quick favor from you at some point? Assuming you're running a 32-bit Windows, you might have the right gear I need for something...

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #105 of 219 Old 02-24-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Is there any chance I could get a quick favor from you at some point? Assuming you're running a 32-bit Windows, you might have the right gear I need for something...

- Trip

Sure. I'd be happy to help. I have two different Win PCs running Vista 32-bit, with TV tuner cards in them.

- RV

Rajiv
post #106 of 219 Old 02-24-2009, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

- Rajiv

I actually don't think it is zap2it that MS uses to get the channel and frequency information for the ATSC channels. They do get Guide data from them based on the channels, and I think that also is where they get the cable lineups from. Anyway at one point they were getting data from one source and then they switched to a different source for the info. This was apparent because their previous source stopped working and nobody could get ATSC channel lineup info if they did a new setup sometime during December. They switched providers, and ATSC channel lineups were back, but obviously the transition has put things in a muck. You could report the info to MS directly via the main data thread at TGB.Media Center Service & Data Quality Issues

post #107 of 219 Old 03-17-2009, 06:30 PM

For some reason, Windows Media Center guide shows "No Data Available" for the NBC, CBS, and Fox stations. This is killing me as none of my shows are getting recorded. Anyone else have this issue?

Rajiv
post #108 of 219 Old 05-01-2009, 11:33 AM

any idea why abc stutters or skips? The channel is 13.1 for me and I've had this skipping problems for months. I even moved within that time frame and it still skips at my new address. Could it be a TV problem? No other HD channels do this, and it's annoying. The sound stays the same, but the video stutters every couple of seconds.

Anything I can do? Thanks.
post #109 of 219 Old 05-05-2009, 10:01 PM

Might be a problem at WIRT itself, perhaps there's a problem with their feed from Duluth. Might not hurt to contact the engineering department in Duluth during business hours.
post #110 of 219 Old 05-05-2009, 10:50 PM

Yesterday I stopped receiving WDIO 10.1 and 10.2 on one of my two tuners. I live in Duluth, not far from downtown. Signal until yesterday was 100% OK on both tuners.
One of my tuners, Dish ViP622, stopped receiving both WDIO channels yesterday. I have never had problems with those channels before. All other local channels are fine, with excellent reception. Antenna is not a problem: my other tuner (a Channel Master D2A) is yet receiving WDIO and all other channels normally, with 100% signal.
I found something here that could explain this problem:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-net...ot-locked.html
Would you know anything else that could be of help before I contact the technical folks at WDIO?
post #111 of 219 Old 05-07-2009, 12:12 AM

First tuner was able to recognize WDIO again during the morning yesterday (86% strength), however it lost the signal again at some point in the afternoon or at night. Second tuner however was not affected, as it happened during the day before.
post #112 of 219 Old 05-07-2009, 09:29 PM

WDIO has been doing work on its antenna this week. They are replacing the old analog antenna with a new one designed for digital.

That's why they've been off the air (or at low-power), along with 101.7 and 107.7 FM.
post #113 of 219 Old 05-08-2009, 10:33 AM

Thanks for the info!
post #114 of 219 Old 06-12-2009, 09:19 AM

WDSE ended analog broadcasts on channel 8 at Midnight. DTV 38 left the air a few minutes later, but the feed to DISH Network was uninterrupted (the point-of-presence for the market is at WDSE). Digital channel 8 came on the air about an hour later.

KDLH channel 3 is the last full-power station on the air in the market and will end analog broadcasts at 7 p.m. They have had a tower crew working to get a new digital antenna installed so they can get DTV 33 back up to fully-licensed power of 381kW, which is where they were at briefly last year until their first antenna burned up. Even at 381kW, they will be losing a lot of coverage area compared with the VHF low channel 3 signal, which could be reliably seen 100 miles away with a large rooftop antenna (Duluth is a very large market). They are essentially going from the strongest signal in the market to the weakest.

Duluth's low-power TBN station on channel 58 remains analog, and could stay that way for a while. They do have a construction permit to move to DTV channel 41.

There's also a CP for full-power DTV channel 27 (KCWV) but I haven't heard anything about them going on the air.

Outside of the Twin Ports, many analog translators will remain on the air until federal funding is made available to convert them to digital. More information is at www.northernminnesotatv.com and http://www.fox21online.com/news/fox-...-after-june-12
post #115 of 219 Old 06-12-2009, 12:51 PM

Re: Duluth Update

You didn't mention ch 6 CBS & 21 FOX. How are they? We will be in the north WI area in 2 weeks and have usually had decent reception of all the digital out of Duluth except WDIO 10. It's 95 and very humid in Houston as I write this. Hope to retire up north very very soon!
post #116 of 219 Old 06-12-2009, 02:08 PM

Didn't mention 6, 10, or 21 because they all ended analog back in February.

10's signal is better since they moved DTV to channel 10 and got up to full power.

21's signal (DTV RF 17) is the strongest of the three on UHF (3-DT33, 6-DT19, and 21-DT17). (For full disclosure, I work at 21.)

6's signal (DTV RF 19) doesn't get quite as far as 21 because they chose not to build it to maximum power. 3's signal (DTV RF 33) will be a tiny bit smaller than 6.
post #117 of 219 Old 06-13-2009, 08:39 PM

i havent watched much of channel 6 lately but its been breaking up horribly the last couple days, is this just me?
post #118 of 219 Old 06-13-2009, 10:24 PM

The problems may have been because of the antenna work. (KDLH and KBJR use the same tower.)

I think they're all done now, since I was able to receive KDLH-DT in Webster, WI today (65 south miles by air). 3 never came in at that location under the lower power. Now 8 and 10 are rock solid there, 21 comes in most of the time, and 3 and 6 come in sometimes.
post #119 of 219 Old 06-28-2009, 04:32 PM

Any idea when the KDLH-3 nightlight service is scheduled to end ? Its unique DTV psa has been seen several times since Jun 12 down here in San Antonio, TX (and elsewhere across the country).
post #120 of 219 Old 06-29-2009, 08:45 PM

It has already ended. I was out of town last week, so I'm not sure exactly what day, but it was gone by Saturday. Only the low-power TBN station on channel 58 remains in analog now in Duluth. And most of the translators in Koochiching & Itasca Counties have been flipped to digital, too.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page