Duluth, MN - HDTV - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 219 Old 06-30-2009, 12:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Tnx the info. KDAL/KDLH was often seen/heard in these parts.
http://www.qsl.net/wa5iyx/KDLH-3.txt
http://www.qsl.net/wa5iyx/images/801009.jpg - from Jul 26, 1980 - 0213 CST
http://www.qsl.net/wa5iyx/ra/kdal75-a.ra - from Aug 5, 1975 - 1658 CST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 219 Old 07-05-2009, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

This is off the topic of OTA reception, but I was wondering if anyone in the area around Duluth or within the region has any experience with wintering a LCD in a lake cabin. My father in law has a 32" lcd he takes up to his cabin in Itasca county and he uses it all summer with Directv (I set up an extra dish for him) and now with OTA reception. I got 11, 13 and 31 all to come in on digital using a Winegard Metrostar 2000 omnidirectional. I also got Fox translators on 15 and 29. Anyway, he was asking if he could leave the LCD up there in an unheated cabin for the winter. I checked the specs on the set, and it had a storage temp listed as 20degF. I know it gets colder up there than that, but I wasn't sure if the manufacturer's info was really true, or just overly cautious. Has anyone tried wintering a LCD in temps simiar? Thanks

BTW: I got some good channel info on the stations I was able to receive up at his cabin and sent it to Trip, the webmaster at rabbitears.info.

Win7Ult x64:P8Z77V Deluxe, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6670, i5-3570k, 3 Ceton InfiniTV4 PCIe, Hauppauge 2250, Fractal Arc Midi SSP
post #123 of 219 Old 07-06-2009, 05:01 PM

If the cabin is not heated at all during the winter I wouldn't chance it.

Your LIQUID crystal display has a good chance to freeze and rupture up there because it can easily get pretty far below -20 during the winter.

Is your cabin anywhere near Grand Rapids? I grew up there.
post #124 of 219 Old 07-13-2009, 10:03 PM

anyone having horrible breakup with channel 3 lately?

i dvr how i met your mother at 7 and big bang theory at 830

HIMYM always breaks up....past 3 weeks, but BBT usually has been fine.

I checked the singnal strength and it pops between 80-88 like mad with channel 3 whereas all the other channels are much more consistent.

anyone else......?
post #125 of 219 Old 07-14-2009, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinger45 View Post

anyone having horrible breakup with channel 3 lately?

i dvr how i met your mother at 7 and big bang theory at 830

HIMYM always breaks up....past 3 weeks, but BBT usually has been fine.

I checked the singnal strength and it pops between 80-88 like mad with channel 3 whereas all the other channels are much more consistent.

anyone else......?

I used to have breakups when I used a poor antenna, breakups would happen even when signal strength appeared to be strong (above 80). After installing a really good antenna (like the Channel Master 4228) in my attic I've never had breakup problems again. It appears to me that tall trees would interfere with reception, the same way they interfere with my cell phone signal.
post #126 of 219 Old 07-14-2009, 07:11 AM

I have a decent outdoor antenna and there arent really any trees in the way...this all started after the switchover....
post #127 of 219 Old 08-11-2009, 10:54 PM

Wow, did you notice that PBS switched channel resolutions and now has 8.1 as its HD channel while 8.2 is now broadcasted in SD? The programming lineup however didn't change. It means for example that certain shows like NOVA cannot be watched anymore in HD during prime time... Really odd.
post #128 of 219 Old 08-12-2009, 10:02 PM

Liked: 12
8.2 is going to become a "second chance" channel. Not sure if that means a delay of 8.1's programming or a west coast PBS feed. They used to carry the west coast PBS feed on 8.4 before the MN Channel was launched.
post #129 of 219 Old 08-13-2009, 02:11 PM

They need to fix the 8.2 aspect ratios however now that the subchannel is broadcasted in 480i (SD). Widescreen (16x9) shows are correctly broadcasted letterboxed and as such they are showing fine. 4x3 shows however have been wrongly letterboxed too, wasting screen resolution, as in the picture below:
LL
post #130 of 219 Old 08-16-2009, 07:42 PM

They have had a lot of problems with postage-stamp effect (as described above), and worse, wrong aspect ratios on their feed to Charter Cable for a few days a few weeks ago. Everything seems to be resolved now, though. Could be related to the switch in HD from 8.2 to 8.1.
post #131 of 219 Old 08-17-2009, 11:33 AM

Today (Monday) morning the 4x3 PBS Kids shows were yet shown with postage-stamp effect (incorrectly letterboxed in a small window). The problem was created by the conversion to 480i, somebody there really needs to take a look at it and fix it up.
post #132 of 219 Old 08-18-2009, 09:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradhasbrouck View Post

When will WDIO and WIRT launch programming on Channels 10.3 and 13.3?

It's interesting that you mention it, because I don't have data for WDIO, but I do have data for WIRT, and I don't think there's much difference between them. WIRT has an encrypted subchannel sucking up 2.6 Mbps of bandwidth. I'd be curious to find out what's on it, but it's probably an SD feed for cable or something boring like that.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #133 of 219 Old 08-19-2009, 06:33 PM

Yes, the encrypted subchannel is something boring. It's their RangeCam (a still image taken from the live video feed can also be seen at http://www.wdio.com/article/stories/...html?cat=10362 ). The encrypted subchannel is received at their Duluth master control from an antenna high up on the WDIO tower. The feed can also be used for news liveshots from the Iron Range.
post #134 of 219 Old 09-12-2009, 02:58 PM

Hey, Does anyone else have this problem? I was getting decent reception of the Duluth Stations last spring with a power rabbit ear antenna in my attic and a converter box. I'm located between Bayfield, WI and Corni on a tall ridge. We don't watch much broadcast TV in the summer - when I tried it I got no signal at all(measured through the converter box). I thought my converter box or antenna was shot - so I bought a new box and antenna - but I still get no HDTV signal at all. Everything seems to be working. Has the Duluth stations changed something with their broadcast? It bums me out with the Packers/Vikings games coming up
post #135 of 219 Old 09-12-2009, 06:42 PM

it seems to me that the signals have been worse since the switchover, but im not sure if thats the cause of your prob
post #136 of 219 Old 09-12-2009, 07:37 PM

There has been no change to KBJR (6.1, 6.2, 6.4) or KQDS (21.1).

KDLH (3.1 and 3.2) stayed on the same DTV channel but increased power.

WDSE (8.1 through 8.4) and WDIO (10.1 and 10.2) moved digital from UHF to VHF. They should come in better if you have a VHF/UHF antenna. If you have a UHF-only antenna, they would be difficult to receive, especially at your distance.

At my family's cabin about 65 miles from the Duluth transmitters, only KQDS came in reliably before the transition and KBJR also came in at night. Now, KQDS, WDSE, and WDIO come in reliably, while KDLH and KBJR come in at night.
post #137 of 219 Old 09-13-2009, 06:57 AM

Looks like the switch over is not my problem. I've tried every combination I can think of - switching cables, hooking up the antenna next to the TV(bypassing the long cable to the attic), using the RCA jacks or coax on the converter box, buying new converter box and new antenna, etc... But still I get no signal at all on the bar graph antenna signal level converter box menu. Any chance it is my TV. The two antenna's I've tried are not really designed for what I'm using them(at least pushing the limits of their reception). Right now I've got the Phillips MAN940 Outdoor Antenna from Walmart, which is primarily a UHF antenna. But still you'd think I'd get at least a little reception. Not the flat line I get now. Then there is the whole issue that I used to get most of the Duluth Channels - now nothing. This is diving me crazy.

Antenna Web says we are 58 miles from the transmitters, should be able to get 9 stations.

Anyone have a suggestion - Any help is appreciated
post #138 of 219 Old 09-13-2009, 05:43 PM

Just a guess, but I noticed that the signal during winter tends to be slightly stronger due to the trees losing their leaves.
post #139 of 219 Old 09-15-2009, 09:14 AM

We live west of Iron River WI, south of Mill Pond Lake, at a low elevation and have not been able to get channels 3 and 6 since the switch to digital last June. It's difficult to understand why we could receive them nearly perfectly up until then, but that's a whole other issue.

We decided to invest in a new antenna and started to do some research. AntennaWeb indicated that we were in a purple zone and it was verified by TVFool. We were considering the Winegard HD 8200U or the Winegard HD 7698P, but some information/reviews we found are making us reconsider getting a new antenna. We are afraid even if we do replace our existing antenna we still will not be able to get channels 3 or 6. Could anyone please offer comments, advice or your experiences? We would appreciate it, thanks much.
post #140 of 219 Old 09-15-2009, 10:27 PM

The reason you can no longer get channels 3 and 6 is twofold:
-VHF low stations (channels 2-6) go farther than UHF stations (or at least they used to in analog)
-Channels 3 and 6 chose not to construct their digital facilities at maximum power. The max is 1,000kW, but KBJR is 384kW and KDLH is 381kW.

Can you receive KQDS 21.1 (FOX)? It is 1,000kW. If you can receive 21.1, there might be a chance of getting KBJR and KDLH with a bigger or taller antenna. If not, the prospects are not good.

Also, is your current antenna VHF-only or VHF/UHF? Many homes in the Northland have VHF-only antennas since the area didn't get a major UHF station until 1999. If the antenna is completely flat with no elements sticking up/down vertically, it is probably VHF-only. The digital versions of 3 and 6 are on UHF (33 and 19 respectively).
post #141 of 219 Old 09-28-2009, 04:36 AM

Ya, I think that leaves may be part of my problem. When the leaves were down I did notice when the wind blew reception would be sketchy (branches moving?). The day last week when I got 21, was cloudy so maybe the signal was bouncing off the clouds? Still I find it strange that I get no signal 0% on the converter box, when for a brief moment I got 30% during my antenna install. I guess I'll wait for the leaves to fall and see what happens. I did install a new quad shield cable, with no change as all. Not really sure what else to do?
post #142 of 219 Old 09-29-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayOutThere View Post

Ya, I think that leaves may be part of my problem. When the leaves were down I did notice when the wind blew reception would be sketchy (branches moving?). The day last week when I got 21, was cloudy so maybe the signal was bouncing off the clouds? Still I find it strange that I get no signal 0% on the converter box, when for a brief moment I got 30% during my antenna install. I guess I'll wait for the leaves to fall and see what happens. I did install a new quad shield cable, with no change as all. Not really sure what else to do?

You're right, this is exactly the same problem that I used to have. Wind would clearly reduce the quality of the signal. I'd bet that branch movements caused further deterioration of reception. My problem went away only after I got myself a pretty big antenna, one similar to the ChannelMaster CM-4228HD:
http://www.channelmaster.com/product...ID=34&catID=33
post #143 of 219 Old 09-29-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Cool View Post

You're right, this is exactly the same problem that I used to have. Wind would clearly reduce the quality of the signal. I'd bet that branch movements caused further deterioration of reception. My problem went away only after I got myself a pretty big antenna, one similar to the ChannelMaster CM-4228HD:
http://www.channelmaster.com/product...ID=34&catID=33

What do you do about the VHF channels?

Rajiv
post #144 of 219 Old 09-30-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvaidyan View Post

What do you do about the VHF channels?

After I changed the antenna, signal became so reliable that I didn't notice any change due to the transition. There could have been a change, but I didn't notice it. However, I don't live far from the towers, so I don't know how distance affects the outcome.

Here's a description of the topography that I have to deal with: the line of sight between the top of the towers and the roof of my house is obstructed by terrain ridges, and a good part of the pathway is covered by tall trees. This is why I believe that branches, foliage and wind had so much effect on the reception when I had lower gain antennas.

BTW, we have exactly the same problem with our cell phones at home. During winter, signal in the basement improves, during summer signal becomes intermittent, and when it's windy we tend to lose signal more frequently than when it's not windy.
post #145 of 219 Old 10-30-2009, 02:44 PM

Despite KQDS-TV "FOX21" still has 1 Digital Channel.

However, when will KQDS-DT begin carrying Universal Sports on Channel 21.3?
post #146 of 219 Old 10-30-2009, 08:02 PM

We have not set any plans for subchannels at this time. The long-term goal is to have subchannels, but it won't be anytime soon.
post #147 of 219 Old 10-30-2009, 08:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Ellis View Post

We have not set any plans for subchannels at this time. The long-term goal is to have subchannels, but it won't be anytime soon.

Might want to send NBC an e-mail about that. http://www.universalsports.tv/Univer...html#Minnesota

- Trip

N4MJC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #148 of 219 Old 10-31-2009, 03:54 PM

Or maybe we (the staff) just haven't been told yet! Last time I talked with the engineers about this, we were far away from being able to originate more than one channel. I have to wonder if the listing is a mistake, especially since Charter 306 is already occupied by Fox Movie Channel (not related to us). The other local digital subchannels are in the 390's on Charter (excluding CW2 and My9).

I will check on Monday.
post #149 of 219 Old 11-02-2009, 03:34 PM

Update: I am told the Universal Sports list showing 21.3 as an affiliate is an error.
post #150 of 219 Old 11-10-2009, 03:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Assuming no extension is sought, yes. Flinn got his other stations on the air before their permits expired, so I suspect he'll get KCWV on the air as well.

- Trip

N4MJC

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page