post #211 of 219 Old 05-19-2014, 10:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by denyart View Post

he said in the original post he had a 4221. There are no VHF elements n a 4221. It is a UHF antenna. That was my main point.

You're right. It is marketed as just a UHF antenna.

I don't know much about antenna design. What is the purpose of the rod-like elements on the 4221, the ones that are paired in an X configuration? The main part of the antenna is just a grid, but there are a few rod-like pieces.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 219 Old 05-19-2014, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

well, perhaps I have led you all astray. I appreciate the assistance by the way. My earlier guess at being a 4221 was wrong. It dawned on me that I have probably bought the antenna via Amazon, so I looked in my purchase records. It is this  antenna.,. purchased in 2008. So, perhaps not as good.. probably not, I would guess. Not sure of the shelf life of an antenna.. 

Will, if weather permits, climb up tomorrow and take a look at the Balun, a term I just googled so I know what to look for.. btw..

The internet is an prosthetic for my brain..

But I am thinking this may be a good time to update the antenna..

post #213 of 219 Old 05-20-2014, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
What is the purpose of the rod-like elements on the 4221, the ones that are paired in an X configuration? The main part of the antenna is just a grid, but there are a few rod-like pieces.

The x-shaped parts are the actual active elements of the antenna are what actually receives the signals. The grid is a reflector which works much like a mirror would for light.

If you have a two-bay DB2-type antenna, that would explain the problem with VHF reception. The Db2 is pretty nearsighted on VHF and it doesn't take much in the way of local interference or signal obstruction to wipe out what little VHF reception it might have offered.
post #214 of 219 Old 05-20-2014, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 54

I was looking at the many different designs of outdoor antennas, and it struck me that the very largest (and purportedly longest range) antennas that have both VHF and UHF capability have designs very much like what I remember from twenty or more years ago, which did not include reflector grids.

Is the use of reflector grids intended to allow the antennas to be somewhat smaller than in the olden days without sacrificing performance? I also noticed that some of the smaller antennas have more elements than the big, old-fashioned antennas.

post #215 of 219 Old 05-20-2014, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

I am not an expert on this myself, but I believe they may catually be designed to reflect signals back onto the antenna elements in phase as well as block signals coming from behind the antenna. If you look at the signal pattern for these antennas and compare it to the same X or bowtie antenna without that grid the one without looks like a bi-pole (or dipole?). One thing this can greatly improve on (this grid) is minimizing multipath interference. It was believed by many RF engineers that multipath was going to be a more significant issue with digital TV than it was with analog transmission. Multipath, as well as the propensity of temporary UHF digital transmission, were key reasons so many 4221 style antennas were on the market and poplar.

Win7Ult x64:P8Z77V Deluxe, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6670, i5-3570k, 3 Ceton InfiniTV4 PCIe, Hauppauge 2250, Fractal Arc Midi SSP
post #216 of 219 Old 05-22-2014, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

If you determine the weather conditions there are deteriorating your connections (it's not a salt-water lake, so I doubt it, but you never know...) you may consider getting a "boat" antenna. They're kind of a specialty item, and I am not sure how well they work, but here is an example of one that is VHF-UHF and has "good numbers". NOTE: that is just an example. I believe that particular one is using a European 230V 50Hz power supply, so you wouldn't want that exact one unless the power supply would accept US AC 110-120V 60Hz. It is just the idea for a more durable antenna that I wanted to convey. I have also had good luck with the "Metrostar" sealed antenna, but it would kill your reception if you had multipath. Something much more directional helps a ton with reducing multipath (delayed signals being received from nearby reflections, water, water towers, large metal buildings, airport structures, perhaps this city-county thing you are referring to, etc)

Win7Ult x64:P8Z77V Deluxe, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6670, i5-3570k, 3 Ceton InfiniTV4 PCIe, Hauppauge 2250, Fractal Arc Midi SSP
post #217 of 219 Old 06-03-2014, 04:42 PM

Here is the list of FOX21 Translators stations that will likely convert to digital television after September 1, 2015?

K15GT-Hibbing
K47IR-Virginia
K29EB-Grand Rapids
K45JD-International Falls
W45ZI-Ashland
post #218 of 219 Old 06-05-2014, 03:30 PM

Once the FCC Approves the sale of KBJR-DT and KRII-DT to Quincy Newspapers.

However, All TV Stations in Wisconsin which is owned by Quincy Newspapers
carries ThisTV on a digital subchannel.

Therefore, Is there a chance KBJR-DT and KRII-DT will add ThisTV on a digital subchannel
after the KBJR/KRII is sold to Quincy Newspapers?
post #219 of 219 Old 06-05-2014, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradhasbrouck View Post

Once the FCC Approves the sale of KBJR-DT and KRII-DT to Quincy Newspapers.
The FCC is looking into duopolies so its possible the sale may not go through
Quote:
Therefore, Is there a chance KBJR-DT and KRII-DT will add ThisTV on a digital subchannel
after the KBJR/KRII is sold to Quincy Newspapers?
possibly. But not on KRII as there is already too many stations on it
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page