post #3241 of 4858 Old 03-11-2008, 08:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgefamus View Post

I would presume your LCD TV also has an ATSC tuner that you could hook up to an antenna to test the OTA signal.

Nope it's just a display, not a television. I have a separate ATSC tuner for it.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3242 of 4858 Old 03-11-2008, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

Nope it's just a display, not a television. I have a separate ATSC tuner for it.

My comment you quoted was directed to George-O. But I am happy the issue has been resolved.

I have to agree with earltp that if I have to strain to hear these anomalies they are non-events, as far as I am concerned. Y'allsMMV
post #3243 of 4858 Old 03-11-2008, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by George-O View Post

Just watched the 11:00 pm KGW-HD newscast until 11:20 pm including the weather and they have fixed the annoying random audio pops during local newscasts as far as I'm concerned .... sounded as good as my other HD channels and KGW-HD's other programming.

Good work KGW-HD and thanks for the fast response to mpsan's email and my Friday afternoon phone call.

Yes, I also noticed the 11PM news seemed OK last night.

Thanks to everyone if it is fixed!
post #3244 of 4858 Old 03-13-2008, 09:47 AM

Thanks for everyones input. I just signed up for comcast $20 a month plan with a $10 dollar a month discount on internet. I am able to tune into analog cable and the HD QAM channels all through Vista Media Center. Earlier I asked if you can tune into the QAM channels without paying for basic cable and I was not successful. For and additional $10 a month I am happy that I don't have to use my OTA antenna any more. I will be putting it on craigslist with my samsung OTA tuner later this week if anyone is interested.
post #3245 of 4858 Old 03-14-2008, 09:41 PM

Just noticed something tonight: I'm seeing faint horizontal lines scrolling from bottom to top, on every channel. Anybody else getting this? What could be causing it?

Guess I'll be giving Comcast a call...
post #3246 of 4858 Old 03-14-2008, 10:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb101 View Post

Just noticed something tonight: I'm seeing faint horizontal lines scrolling from bottom to top, on every channel. Anybody else getting this? What could be causing it?

Google "ground loop interference".
post #3247 of 4858 Old 03-15-2008, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb101 View Post

I had this a while ago. They need to add a ground rod where the cable comes in. You are seeing "hum bars".
post #3248 of 4858 Old 03-15-2008, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

OK, now that we seem to have the KGO News issue resolved, I have another issue!

We have started to record a few shows on HistoryHD (ch 750) like Modern Marvels, and UFO Hunters. Trying Ax Men but have not watched yet. In almost every show the picture freezes and the sound goes away for a second or two. Then it resumes. This happens, of course, at the worst times and happens 4 or 5 times per hour.

Am I the only one seeing this?

TIA
post #3249 of 4858 Old 03-15-2008, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsan View Post

OK, now that we seem to have the KGO News issue resolved, I have another issue!

We have started to record a few shows on HistoryHD (ch 750) like Modern Marvels, and UFO Hunters. Trying Ax Men but have not watched yet. In almost every show the picture freezes and the sound goes away for a second or two. Then it resumes. This happens, of course, at the worst times and happens 4 or 5 times per hour.

TIA

Is this during the show or during playback of the recorded program? How about during commercials?
post #3250 of 4858 Old 03-15-2008, 02:49 PM

Quote:

In almost every show the picture freezes and the sound goes away for a second or two. Then it resumes. This happens, of course, at the worst times and happens 4 or 5 times per hour.

TIA

I recorded axmen and saw the same breakups that you described, it was almost unwatchable. Fortunately it was on VOD so I wasn't that upset. I have watched shows live on HistoryHD since then without incident.

I have noticed something else recently. When going into the VOD menus often times when I click on an item (like HD OnDemand) it seems like it takes a few seconds to get the data (it says "please wait") for the menu below the one that I clicked on, this is on all my receivers, it always comes back without error but the delay sucks. It never used to do this until recently. Anyone else seeing this? My signal strength is fine. This is just going through the menus, not actually selecting a program to watch.

I am wondering if we are starting to see upgrades happening behind the scenes since we are now a FIOS area?

On a slightly different topic can anyone here confirm or deny this?

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/03/14...rtland-oregon/

Also any news on the new HD channels that were talked about in the paper 4 months ago?

Ahh, so much for stuff for a single post
post #3251 of 4858 Old 03-15-2008, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is this during the show or during playback of the recorded program? How about during commercials?

Well, I skip commercials, so I do not know. It is during the playback of recorded programs, but as I said, it seems to only be on ch 750. Also, actually, there should be no difference between watching "Live" and playing back the recorded show. I think that we actually are never watching "live" as it is being recorded/buffered.
post #3252 of 4858 Old 03-15-2008, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo75 View Post

I recorded axmen and saw the same breakups that you described, it was almost unwatchable. Fortunately it was on VOD so I wasn't that upset. I have watched shows live on HistoryHD since then without incident.

I have noticed something else recently. When going into the VOD menus often times when I click on an item (like HD OnDemand) it seems like it takes a few seconds to get the data (it says "please wait") for the menu below the one that I clicked on, this is on all my receivers, it always comes back without error but the delay sucks. It never used to do this until recently. Anyone else seeing this? My signal strength is fine. This is just going through the menus, not actually selecting a program to watch.

I am wondering if we are starting to see upgrades happening behind the scenes since we are now a FIOS area?

Also any news on the new HD channels that were talked about in the paper 4 months ago?

Well, I may contact Comcast about the HistoryHD channel. I do, however, know the response..."gee, you are the only one having this issue so we can reboot your box".
post #3253 of 4858 Old 03-15-2008, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, I may contact Comcast about the HistoryHD channel. I do, however, know the response..."gee, you are the only one having this issue so we can reboot your box".

I've had it on ch 750 all day today with no problems so far.
post #3254 of 4858 Old 03-16-2008, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, we tried to watch the first Ax Men last night. You are correct. So many freezes, etc, that we could not watch it.

You said it was available on VOD, but we could not find it anywhere. Can you tell me where it was? I do not see History anywhere.

TIA
post #3255 of 4858 Old 03-16-2008, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

George, I will see if newer stuff is still bad. Not sure when the next show goes on that we are recording.
post #3256 of 4858 Old 03-16-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:

Well, we tried to watch the first Ax Men last night. You are correct. So many freezes, etc, that we could not watch it.

You said it was available on VOD, but we could not find it anywhere. Can you tell me where it was? I do not see History anywhere.

TIA

It's under "HD On Demand|News & World|The History Channel|Ax Men: Premiere"

They hide it well. I hope the engadget rumor about ComcastTivo coming to portland is true, it has the ability to search VOD.
post #3257 of 4858 Old 03-16-2008, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's under "HD On Demand|News & World|The History Channel|Ax Men: Premiere"

They hide it well. I hope the engadget rumor about ComcastTivo coming to portland is true, it has the ability to search VOD.

Geeze, thank you, how did you ever find that! ???

I will have to look into the Comcast/TiVo deal...don't know what it would get us.
post #3258 of 4858 Old 03-16-2008, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But sometimes it messes up for only a second or two in about 20 minute periods. If I were not watching I would not notice.
post #3259 of 4858 Old 03-16-2008, 07:00 PM

I read about this in other areas where comcast was beginning to compress the channels so much that any motion would cause pixelation and bad artifact.

I didn't see this in the Portland area until this afternoon. Watching National Treasure, which doesn't have too many action scenes still has a noticeable drop in picture quality. I wonder if this is what is causing the same problems in your picture freezing for a second or two.

I searched back through the last few pages and didn't see anything about this. Is anybody else seeing the same problem? I'd like to think this is just a one time thing, but I'm afraid not.

(On an upside. I talked to the FIOS reps yesterday at wash. square and they said that FIOS will be available downtown within the next year.)
post #3260 of 4858 Old 03-16-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:

I knew I had read this on the forum.... Read my message above, looks like it already has.
post #3261 of 4858 Old 03-16-2008, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbawabba View Post

I read about this in other areas where comcast was beginning to compress the channels so much that any motion would cause pixelation and bad artifact.

I didn't see this in the Portland are until this afternoon. Watching National Treasure, which doesn't have too many action scenes still has a noticeable drop in picture quality. I wonder if this is what is causing the same problems in your picture freezing for a second or two.

I searched back through the last few pages and didn't see anything about this. Is anybody else seeing the same problem? I'd like to think this is just a one time thing, but I'm afraid not.

(On an upside. I talked to the FIOS reps yesterday at wash. square and they said that FIOS will be available downtown within the next year.)

I am only having this issue on one channel now. Also, I can get FIOS, in fact have FIOS Internet/phone but have chosen not to add TV just yet.
post #3262 of 4858 Old 03-16-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:

I am only having this issue on one channel now. Also, I can get FIOS, in fact have FIOS Internet/phone but have chosen not to add TV just yet.

Do you live in the downtown area? I thought areas such as the Pearl and NW23rd were in Qwest territory.
post #3263 of 4858 Old 03-17-2008, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I didn't see this in the Portland are until this afternoon. Watching National Treasure, which doesn't have too many action scenes still has a noticeable drop in picture quality. I wonder if this is what is causing the same problems in your picture freezing for a second or two.

I noticed something when watching the college basketball games on CBS this weekend. When a team rebounded and players shifted toward the other end of the court, the screen seemed to get fuzzy, then clarify after a second or two. I can't remember which game now. I suppose it could have just been a camera focus issue, but I didn't remember ever seeing that before.
post #3264 of 4858 Old 03-17-2008, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you live in the downtown area? I thought areas such as the Pearl and NW23rd were in Qwest territory.

Nope, I am in the NW hills. North of Cedar Mill Area.
post #3265 of 4858 Old 03-17-2008, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I am sure (hoping) this was a one time thing but SNL sure was jumpy...when there was any movement. Audio was OK but motion was wierd.
post #3266 of 4858 Old 03-17-2008, 06:01 PM

Did anyone notice CW and Fox 12 switched hd channels? My fox is on 32-1 and CW is on 12-1 now. whats wrong?
post #3267 of 4858 Old 03-17-2008, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crspyjohn View Post

Did anyone notice CW and Fox 12 switched hd channels? My fox is on 32-1 and CW is on 12-1 now. whats wrong?

You sure you're just not a little to "crispy"...
post #3268 of 4858 Old 03-17-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earletp View Post

You sure you're just not a little to "crispy"...

I'm sure. Fox is on 32-1 and CW is on 12-1. I'm gonna rescan now :-/
post #3269 of 4858 Old 03-17-2008, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crspyjohn View Post

I'm sure. Fox is on 32-1 and CW is on 12-1. I'm gonna rescan now :-/

Good luck!! If you still have problems, I can scan the QAM channels, I know both OTA and Comcast through my DVR haven't changed.
post #3270 of 4858 Old 03-19-2008, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I knew I had read this on the forum.... Read my message above, looks like it already has.

If Comcast is really switching from 20Mbps ABR to 13.3Mbps APR for HD channels, does anyone know how that compares to the satellite HD channels? If the old rule used to be OTA > Cable > Satellite, does that change now?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page