1Likes

post #301 of 4859 Old 09-28-2004, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by ridgefamus

Oops, just relaized this is the Comcast thread and you can't get CBS from them. Do you have OTA? That's how I do it.

Gimmie your receiver and we'll call it even.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 4859 Old 09-28-2004, 08:13 PM

Ridgefamus, I trust it was just a mistake and you weren't rubbing it our faces that Comcast can't get cbs. It really is frustrating to not get cbs and fox in HD from comcast.
post #303 of 4859 Old 09-28-2004, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by footballnut
Ridgefamus, I trust it was just a mistake and you weren't rubbing it our faces that Comcast can't get cbs. It really is frustrating to not get cbs and fox in HD from comcast.

Nah, that's not me. I was honestly caught up in your report of bringing the HD experience to others. And right now, there's no way I give up my OTA receiver, sithead. The only way I justify that expense to the wife (and myself) is as long as Comcast doesn't carry CBS and FOX. Once that happens, my box will be on eBay.

I was a long time D* subscriber and just recently discontinued them for Comcast so I started my HD via OTA. I can't get the HD transponders from any satellites because of trees on my hilly lot. I'd much prefer not having to keep switching inputs.

Sorry for the unintentional snub.

Bob
post #304 of 4859 Old 09-29-2004, 01:11 AM

Ridgefamus,What kind of receiver do you have? If Comcast can't get cbs or fox, I may have to go to another source. As a football person, it kills me that cbs and fox carry the nfl and they can't come to terms with cable. Also, how much did D* pay to lock up Sunday ticket to keep it away from cable? I'm glad for you that you found a solution.
post #305 of 4859 Old 09-29-2004, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just got hooked up to HD a week or so (Moto 6200 box) and I'm getting lip sync problems. I and the comcast guys have tried various configurations to identify where the problem comes from, but it's really tough.

Some channels have no problems (ESPNHD, for example). Others have problems some times (NBCHD was terrible during Ryder Cup). And not just the HD channels either. I was watching "Parent Trap" on the Hallmark channel the other day (OK, I'm a sucker for Haley Mills), and the movie was out of sync, but the commercials were in sync -- on the same channel. When the problems occur, the video is behind the audio (about 100-140ms).

My current configuration is to route digital audio to my receiver (Rotel) and to route component video to my receiver and then to the TV (receiver has video switching capability). I first suspected the video switcher as culprit, but taking video direct to TV (Sammy HLP 56") had no effect. The only way I've been able to eliminate the problem is to take standard coax cable out of the 6200 and into the back of my TV, which sort of defeats the entire purpose. Whenever I connect the digital audio on the 6200 (either digital coax or optical) to the reciever, I get lip sync problems on some channels some of the time.

Comcast now seems to think that others are experiencing this problem and that it may be at the "head end" (or something like that, where they mix the feeds into the cable). Are any of you experiencing problems like this with Portland Comcast? The problems seem weird enough to me that I can't convince myself that any one is really at fault.

Thanks much in advance for any insight you might have. I've learned a lot from reading the posts here.
post #306 of 4859 Old 09-29-2004, 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by crossbeaux
...and the movie was out of sync, but the commercials were in sync -- on the same channel.

Seems to me if this is the case, there's no way the problem is in your equipment or setup. Your stuff doesn't know what's a commercial and what's not. Has to be on Comcast's end of things. What a surprise there.
post #307 of 4859 Old 09-29-2004, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
YES - I too have lip synch problems at times, comes and goes. A couple of times it was so bad I could not stand to watch the show.
post #308 of 4859 Old 09-29-2004, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by footballnut
Ridgefamus,What kind of receiver do you have?

I have a Zenith 420, a bare-bones model that I picked up at CC last summer as an "out-of-box" special for @$330. It has provided great performance once I figured out the antenna and signal acquisition part. I still get breakups when the wind blows and there are lots of leaves on the trees. (Funny how the pickup is stable thru walls, appliances, etc. but it can't deal with leaves.) But now that there are more and more HD programming alternatives via Comcast, if I have OTA problems I just switch or go analog. Or maybe read a book!

Bob
post #309 of 4859 Old 09-29-2004, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by ceccacci
Seems to me if this is the case, there's no way the problem is in your equipment or setup. Your stuff doesn't know what's a commercial and what's not. Has to be on Comcast's end of things. What a surprise there.

True. But why would a straight coax feed to the TV not exhibit lip sync problems then? Looking at it from that angle seems to indicate that my equipment might be causing the problem. The evidence seems to conflict. Unless the last batch of 6200s they got in has faulty component video ports (we did try a couple different units and both exhibited the problem).
post #310 of 4859 Old 09-29-2004, 11:38 AM

Crossbeaux-
If you mean the regular coax cable coming out of the box as passthrough, you aren't carrying a digital signal to the TV at all but just analog cable. The problem you describe seems to be a sync problem with the two digital components. Whether that comes from the head end, or whether the delay is introduced at the box when it converts the digital video to analog component out, the problem is still in Comcast's lap.
post #311 of 4859 Old 09-29-2004, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

ceccacci -- Aha! Now the tumblers are starting to fall in place. Thanks much!
post #312 of 4859 Old 09-29-2004, 04:00 PM

Ridgefamus, I'll check out the Zenith 420 or its current equivalent. I really like Zenith/LG products. Currently have DVD zenith dvb 318 which upconverts to 720p or 1080i and has DVI output. Quite pleased with it.
post #313 of 4859 Old 09-29-2004, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

footballnut: My 420 doesn't have DVI out but has component, of course. One thing it does have that benefits me because of my hardware arrangement is coax digital audio out (as well as opitcal). I haven't looked but you might find them on eBay at a much more reasonable price. Happy hunting!
post #314 of 4859 Old 09-29-2004, 06:47 PM

Oh Ridge who is famous, I was just playin. I knew you weren't rubbing it in. We're all in the same situation here. I tried to persuade the wife to let me get a receiver for the superbowl last year, but no dice. I hope that I don't even have to think about that this year. But if it comes to that, I guess I'll just hope for a nice x-mas bonus.
Anyone have overscan problems with SD on moto 5100?
post #315 of 4859 Old 09-30-2004, 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sithead
I tried to persuade the wife to let me get a receiver for the superbowl last year, but no dice.

Now there's the real beauty of my approach. I held off on HDTV until the TV I wanted at least approached a reasonable price with a cablecard slot, a QAM tuner and an OTA tuner. All I had to convince my family to buy was a new TV. (The price of the antenna ($27) being beneath notice.)

I get all the local OTA HD and Comcast HD. It's like magic.
post #316 of 4859 Old 10-05-2004, 10:05 AM

I see on some other posts that Fox HD will be available in Portland around the 15th of this month. Does anyone know if that is when comcast will get it or is that for only the people with OTA? Thanks.
post #317 of 4859 Old 10-05-2004, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Footballnut
That is supposedly when all the equipment will have been installed and they will begin broadcast of an HD signal.
There was a post in the past that implied comcast had a digital carry agreement in place for HD but no confirmation or word from Comcast.
Until such time as they do get an agreement in place, Fox will only be available OTA

michael
post #318 of 4859 Old 10-05-2004, 01:17 PM

I just won a Sanyo HD Terrestrial OTA HD receiver model SIR-T351 on Ebay for $160. It arrived last night. Without even trying, I aimed my the new Radio Shack UHF/VHF/FM Indoor Antenna With 12-Position Fine-Tuning Catalog #15-1868 for $19.95 over the supplied coax cable and presto: CSI in HD! Awesome! And, I'm getting what the receiver states is a strong signal at the far end of my house away from the west hills, over in NE Portland. I guess it was a little pricey of a fix to the no KOIN-HD on Comcast, and I realize that someday this controversy with their signal on cable will be resolved... but I'm impatient The receiver is outputting 1028i and the picture is crystal clear (at least to my untrained eye). I'll keep Comcast for ESPN-HD, Discovery-HD and the INHD channels.
post #319 of 4859 Old 10-05-2004, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is it true that there is really no FOX HD for the OTA signal for the baseball playoffs? Say it isn't so.
post #320 of 4859 Old 10-05-2004, 09:16 PM

My Comcast HDTV cable box is telling me that the locals in HD (703 WB, 704 ABC, 708 NBC) will all "be available soon" (the picture is black). Also ESPN HD!

710 (KOPB) and 707 (DISC-HD) are working.

Anyone else?

EDIT: Now (10:22) they're back! And so is HBO-HD, which I don't subscribe to

My RPTV-based "Narnia Theater"
post #321 of 4859 Old 10-06-2004, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Randyman: Sad but true. KPTV isn't up to speed yet with carrying the Fox HD signal. Everyone posting here and in the Portland OTA forum is expecting magic to happen about 10/15 and for both Fox and UPN to give us HD OTA. But for this forum, there doesn't seem to be a carriage arrangement in place for Comcast to show them, yet.

Jim Prouty: Did you turn off power to your box for a time and then see the "Not Available" messages? I did that once and got that message for the HD channels. I also got all the upper tier channels I don't subscribe to until I went to bed. Next morning they were gone! Seems filters and stuff get reset when power is interrupted.

Bob
post #322 of 4859 Old 10-06-2004, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But for this forum, there doesn't seem to be a carriage arrangement in place for Comcast to show them, yet.

Meredith has reached HD carriage agreements with Comcast for stations in other areas, so there does not appear to be any reason why Meredith and Comcast wouldn't reach an agreement in Portland. (UPN may be treated differently from FOX because Comcast wants to wait for UPN to have more HD programming before adding UPN local channels in digital/HD.)
post #323 of 4859 Old 10-06-2004, 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ridgefamus
Jim Prouty: Did you turn off power to your box for a time and then see the "Not Available" messages? I did that once and got that message for the HD channels. I also got all the upper tier channels I don't subscribe to until I went to bed. Next morning they were gone! Seems filters and stuff get reset when power is interrupted.

I don't leave the HD cable box on when not in use. It's been working correctly that way ever since I got it about 4 months ago.

This morning I turned it on and 704 and 708 were still there after they had disappeared the previous night and then returned.

Tonight I tried again but once again these channels were showing "This channel will be available shortly":

704 - ABC
707 - Discovery HD
708 - NBC
735 - ESPN-HD

These HD channels were working:

703 - WB
710 - PBS
751 - HBO-HD (which I don't subscribe to)
788 - inHD
789 - inHD2

I guess it's time to call the repair people. Sigh.

post #324 of 4859 Old 10-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
It's free preview week for HBO right now, so enjoy it in HD for free while you can. Unfortunately, there hasn't really been anything on it this far that I've wanted to watch, but maybe there will be before it goes away. Nice picture, though.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, www.hometheaterhifi.com
Displays Editor, AnandTech.com
Contributor, HDGuru.com and Wirecutter.com
ISF Level II Certified Calibrator, ReferenceHomeTheater.com
post #325 of 4859 Old 10-08-2004, 08:57 AM

The Comcast technician just left.

After quickly deciding the cable signal strength was marginal, he installed at 15dB amplifier outside the house (drilling a hole through the wall to get power from a plug-in transformer).

The amp seemed to fix the macro-blocking we saw on ESPN-HD this morning (which wasn't even showing last night)

So I have my fingers crossed that tonight the HD channels that were missing will still be there. I have to say though, I can't think of a reason why channels would come and go depending on the time of day...

By the way, this tech (I didn't get his name) really seemed to know what he was about. He even fixed a problem with my RCA cable modem I didn't know about (intermittent contacts on the power connector). Nice going, Comcast!

post #326 of 4859 Old 10-08-2004, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

The article in today's Business section doesn't paint a very rosy picture for getting KOIN HD on Comcast anytime soon. Too bad! It was good, though, to see the reinforcement that KPTV seems to be on track for a 10/15 start date for its HD broadcasts and that carriage on Comcast is not going to be an issue. I would presume this also includes KPDX for all you Enterprise fans.

Bob
post #327 of 4859 Old 10-08-2004, 10:24 AM

post #328 of 4859 Old 10-08-2004, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting article.

A key resolution point will be whenever KOIN's analog contract with Comcast expires. At that point, Emmis will have to elect "must carry" or "retransmission consent" for the analog signal. Up to this point, "retransmission consent" has almost invariably been chosen by station owners for network affiliates like CBS, ABC, etc.

With "retransmission consent", the station owner negotiates with the cable company for some sort of compensation-- usually not cash but advertising buys or advertising exchanges.

However, if Emmis elects "retransmission consent" for KOIN's analog signal the next time it is up for renewal/expiration, Comcast will certainly refuse to sign any contract for analog signal retransmission unless it also gets the digital/HD signal.

So Emmis will have to either choose: (a) "must carry", thereby foregoing compensation it previously received in the form of advertising buys/advertising exchanges but keeping the digital/HD signal dispute hanging over Comcast's head, or (b) negotiate a global deal which includes BOTH the analog and digital/HD signals.

If "retransmission consent" is chosen but Emmis asks for too much, it could lead to the analog signal being pulled from Comcast by either Emmis or Comcast (after the current analog contract expires) until a new deal is reached. Pulling the analog signal would hurt Emmis more because its advertising revenues and therefore its cash flow would plummet. It might be able to afford it for a couple of months, but it would get quite painful after that. Comcast is a much larger company and could temporarily absorb some customer defections to satellite because of the temporary lack of CBS.
post #329 of 4859 Old 10-08-2004, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by SonomaSearcher
absorb some customer defections to satellite because of the temporary lack of CBS.

Isn't Emmis/KOIN in the same position with respect to the sat providers? I thought they were holding out the HD from them, as well, the same as was the case a couple of years ago when KOIN was the last local holdout for analog carriage on DirecTV.

Bob
post #330 of 4859 Old 10-08-2004, 04:25 PM

I must back Comcast in this battle with cbs. ABC & NBC don't seem to have a problem with Comcast, only cbs so what does that say? I know HDTV viewers are in the minority but cbs certainly ****ed us off. Personally, I'll only watch cbs when they have something serious on and I'll try to boycott the ads as much as possible in protest. I'll probably tape the show to fastforward thru ads. Clearly this won't hurt cbs, but I'll feel better. I doubt I'll buy equipment just to see cbs in HD. When they're on Comcast, I will watch. Just venting!!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page