post #4531 of 4865 Old 02-01-2011, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaussie View Post

I noticed in the last few days that TravelHD channel 765 has been showing the East Coast feed while the SD version (channel 65) has been on the West Coast feed.
This is causing my Tivo Premiere's guide data to be off for the HD channel. I'm assuming that everyone on Comcast equipment is having the same issue? Can anyone else chime in? I'm located in SW Portland.

Thanks -

I didn't check yet, but if your guide is wrong, then it's probably wrong for all of us. Also, MGM-HD (782 or 783, can't remember) is totally wrong. The guide lists programs from an entirely different channel. When I called in, they had a recorded message saying they knew about the problem and were working on it. But that was days ago. How hard could it be to fix the guide?

BTW, my DVR seemed to have reset itself somewhere between the end of Letterman last night (Monday) and this morning (Tuesday). My guide is only filled in for about 2-3 hours, so something happened. Did this happen to anyone else? If so, maybe it's part of them trying to fix the guide problems. If so, it didn't work because MGM-HD is still wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4532 of 4865 Old 02-02-2011, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Antenna TV on 304 or 32-2 on a QAM tuner

currently watching "All in the Family"
post #4533 of 4865 Old 02-07-2011, 11:29 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbeaux View Post

I didn't check yet, but if your guide is wrong, then it's probably wrong for all of us. Also, MGM-HD (782 or 783, can't remember) is totally wrong. The guide lists programs from an entirely different channel. When I called in, they had a recorded message saying they knew about the problem and were working on it. But that was days ago. How hard could it be to fix the guide?

BTW, my DVR seemed to have reset itself somewhere between the end of Letterman last night (Monday) and this morning (Tuesday). My guide is only filled in for about 2-3 hours, so something happened. Did this happen to anyone else? If so, maybe it's part of them trying to fix the guide problems. If so, it didn't work because MGM-HD is still wrong.

A week later, and I noticed that lots of shows are still listed as To Be Announced.

My RPTV-based "Narnia Theater"
post #4534 of 4865 Old 02-07-2011, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimProuty View Post
A week later, and I noticed that lots of shows are listed as To Be Announced.
Well, the Guide for the HD Travel Channel 765 seems to match the programming now (both are the east coast feed). MGM-HD and the Guide now match. I don't have any To Be Announced in my Guide. I suspect your box has been reset lately, either because of a power outage or spike, or because your box randomly reset itself (which does happen). It should fully populate in a day or so.
post #4535 of 4865 Old 02-07-2011, 02:53 PM

I may be relocating to the Vancouver WA area zip 98665 and was wondering if there were any good and reliable alternatives (non-satellite) to Comcast cable for TV and internet access?

It seems Verizon FIOS is available in Portland and Seattle, but will not extend to Vancouver? If I am limited to Comcast for TV, would Vancouverites recommend Qwest for reliable internet access or buy a bundle from Comcast?

Thanks for any info.
post #4536 of 4865 Old 02-07-2011, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by vartok View Post

I may be relocating to the Vancouver WA area zip 98665 and was wondering if there were any good and reliable alternatives (non-satellite) to Comcast cable for TV and internet access?

It seems Verizon FIOS is available in Portland and Seattle, but will not extend to Vancouver? If I am limited to Comcast for TV, would Vancouverites recommend Qwest for reliable internet access or buy a bundle from Comcast?

Thanks for any info.

Verizon sold off its FIOS to Frontier, so they (Verizon) no longer does TV/Internet here. Also while the suburbs, both east and west of Portland have FIOS, within the city itself I don't believe they have a footprint at all.

If you look at recent news reports it seems Frontier is trying to dump its FIOS TV and get everyone to switch to satellite anyway. Something about a 40% price increase for those not locked into a contract already.
post #4537 of 4865 Old 02-07-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earletp View Post

Verizon sold off its FIOS to Frontier, so they (Verizon) no longer does TV/Internet here. Also while the suburbs, both east and west of Portland have FIOS, within the city itself I don't believe they have a footprint at all.

If you look at recent news reports it seems Frontier is trying to dump its FIOS TV and get everyone to switch to satellite anyway. Something about a 40% price increase for those not locked into a contract already.

Just took a look at the Seattle Verizon FIOS thread here and unfortunately it seems you are right about Frontier. Comcast doesn't have any decent competition, until Qwest-CenturyTel -> CenturyLink expands their IPTV service to Oregon/Washington.

CenturyLink has an info page about their IPTV here:

http://www.centurylink.com/Pages/Per...yTvMarket.html
post #4538 of 4865 Old 02-09-2011, 08:46 PM

Anyone seen this problem? Just got a DCX-3400 box that I connect to my Samsung C8000 plasma TV via HDMI cables. When I go into the user settings of the DCX 3400, all the supported modes for my TV are set correctly via the HDMI handshake (i.e., 1080i, 720p, 480p, etc are all supported). I can set HDMI output to 1080i (or native) and then exit the user settings menu. Everything is fine until I turn off my TV and then later turn it on again. When the devices do their HDMI handshake, the DCX-3400 throws out my settings and reverts back to 720p for "HDMI output". Doesn't matter what channel I tune to (e.g., 711 which is 1080i), the DCX-3400 outputs 720p. Anyone run into this?
post #4539 of 4865 Old 02-09-2011, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedrelb View Post

Anyone seen this problem? Just got a DCX-3400 box that I connect to my Samsung C8000 plasma TV via HDMI cables. When I go into the user settings of the DCX 3400, all the supported modes for my TV are set correctly via the HDMI handshake (i.e., 1080i, 720p, 480p, etc are all supported). I can set HDMI output to 1080i (or native) and then exit the user settings menu. Everything is fine until I turn off my TV and then later turn it on again. When the devices do their HDMI handshake, the DCX-3400 throws out my settings and reverts back to 720p for "HDMI output". Doesn't matter what channel I tune to (e.g., 711 which is 1080i), the DCX-3400 outputs 720p. Anyone run into this?

There are a lot of people who run into this type of problem when they connect HDMI to an intermediate source, such as a home theater receiver, which passes the HDMI on to the TV. But I haven't heard of this problem when connecting HDMI directly from the DCX to the TV. I connect my video to my TV (a Samsung DLP set) via HDMI and audio to my reciever, and I don't experience this problem. The DCX thread has people talking about this. They may be able to help you too. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...968638&page=50
post #4540 of 4865 Old 03-02-2011, 10:35 PM

I just lost 702 and 708 off of my HDhomerun. Is anyone else having problems with unencypted QAM from comcast? 706, 710, 712 are all still working well. I believe someone at comcast clicked the wrong button.
post #4541 of 4865 Old 03-02-2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbarsotti View Post

I just lost 702 and 708 off of my HDhomerun. Is anyone else having problems with unencypted QAM from comcast? 706, 710, 712 are all still working well. I believe someone at comcast clicked the wrong button.

302, 307, 308, 702 and 708 all moved to different channels. A rescan fixed the problem.
post #4542 of 4865 Old 03-03-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyland View Post

302, 307, 308, 702 and 708 all moved to different channels. A rescan fixed the problem.

I did a rescan on my HDhomerun and it did not find those channels for me. Are you using unecrypted QAM?
post #4543 of 4865 Old 03-03-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:

I did a rescan on my HDhomerun and it did not find those channels for me. Are you using unecrypted QAM?

I am using HDHomerun in Eugene on Comcast unencrypted, and did lose ABC HD and CBS HD yesterday, but they seem to be back now.
post #4544 of 4865 Old 03-03-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeg42 View Post

I am using HDHomerun in Eugene on Comcast unencrypted, and did lose ABC HD and CBS HD yesterday, but they seem to be back now.

Great to hear that. I will do a rescan when I get home today and report back.
post #4545 of 4865 Old 03-04-2011, 11:37 PM

Quote:

I'm in Vancouver WA on Comcast....and have lost 702 and 708 for the last couple days. A rescan hasn't worked either. HDHomeRun for the last 2 years no problems. No changes to the computer setup for the last 6 months. Grrr. Any ideas?
post #4546 of 4865 Old 03-05-2011, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy35 View Post

I'm in Vancouver WA on Comcast....and have lost 702 and 708 for the last couple days. A rescan hasn't worked either. HDHomeRun for the last 2 years no problems. No changes to the computer setup for the last 6 months. Grrr. Any ideas?

the feq has changed from ch91 to ch75 for those channels
post #4547 of 4865 Old 03-11-2011, 11:51 PM

Has anyone recently made the switch from FiOS back to Comcast?

I originally had Comcast at my home but switched to FiOS 3 years ago. I've been happy as a clam with my 25/25 Internet and fantastic picture quality but it's obvious Frontier is on the verge of killing off (literally) the FiOS TV product.

I'm writing because I'm wondering if anyone has recently made the switch back and if they can comment on picture quality. Comcast picture quality can vary regionally so it's hard to make generalizations from other threads and I was hoping for some local experience. The obvious response is that I had the service 3 years ago and I should remember but I've got two things working against me. First of all that was 3 years ago and at the time I had nothing to compare to. Now I've seen FiOS and that's all that's in my brain. Secondly, last year I finished my home theater and now mainly watch TV on a 100 inch projector. Last time I had Comcast I was on a 43 inch plasma. I'm concerned any issues with picture quality will be obviously magnified on the projector.

My other option is to take up Frontier on their push to switch people over to DirecTV. Had a bad experience with them about 6 years ago and not itching to go back. Verizon - why oh why did you have to leave us?!!?!?

Thanks for any thoughts.

PSN: MiddKid
post #4548 of 4865 Old 03-23-2011, 11:28 PM

It appears that "TV Japan" channel 693 is unencrypted. I think this is by design so that everyone (even those with limited basic) can watch the NHK coverage of the earthquake/tsunami/nuclear happenings in Japan.

It's on physical qam channel 77-1191.
post #4549 of 4865 Old 03-25-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQ22 View Post

Has anyone recently made the switch from FiOS back to Comcast?

I originally had Comcast at my home but switched to FiOS 3 years ago. I've been happy as a clam with my 25/25 Internet and fantastic picture quality but it's obvious Frontier is on the verge of killing off (literally) the FiOS TV product.

I'm writing because I'm wondering if anyone has recently made the switch back and if they can comment on picture quality. Comcast picture quality can vary regionally so it's hard to make generalizations from other threads and I was hoping for some local experience. The obvious response is that I had the service 3 years ago and I should remember but I've got two things working against me. First of all that was 3 years ago and at the time I had nothing to compare to. Now I've seen FiOS and that's all that's in my brain. Secondly, last year I finished my home theater and now mainly watch TV on a 100 inch projector. Last time I had Comcast I was on a 43 inch plasma. I'm concerned any issues with picture quality will be obviously magnified on the projector.

My other option is to take up Frontier on their push to switch people over to DirecTV. Had a bad experience with them about 6 years ago and not itching to go back. Verizon - why oh why did you have to leave us?!!?!?

Thanks for any thoughts.

I am in this SAME exact boat! Currently still with Frontier and looking at alternatives. I'm leaning DirectTV right now though
post #4550 of 4865 Old 03-26-2011, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyland View Post

It appears that "TV Japan" channel 693 is unencrypted. I think this is by design so that everyone (even those with limited basic) can watch the NHK coverage of the earthquake/tsunami/nuclear happenings in Japan.

It's on physical qam channel 77-1191.

It's also on Frontier FiOS channel 1770. It's decrypted for me, but that might be because I pay for more than the equivalent of limited basic.

They're discussing a diagram of a BWR right now. Not sure if it's all that useful to me, because I don't speak Japanese.
post #4551 of 4865 Old 04-06-2011, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

In case anyone did not get the message on their box, or have messages turned off, last night I received a message that as of March 14th, the Sandy Blvd Comcast Office has moved their location out to 7037 NE Sandy Blvd.
Hours are...
M-F 9am - 7pm
Sat 9am - 5pm
Sun - Closed
post #4552 of 4865 Old 04-09-2011, 10:11 AM

Hello,

Does anybody know the current unencrypted physical qam channel for OPB? My TV can never seem to map to channel 10.1

Thanks
post #4553 of 4865 Old 04-09-2011, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My Dvico fusion 3 claims it's 14.1 so give that a try.
post #4554 of 4865 Old 04-10-2011, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon33 View Post

Hello,

Does anybody know the current unencrypted physical qam channel for OPB? My TV can never seem to map to channel 10.1

Thanks

physical qam sub-channels show up as different numbers on different tuners. The major number should always be the same but the sub-channel may differ. OPB HD is physical qam 14-13. But for OPB HD, you should come in as virtual channel 10-1 on any tuner. If the PSIP information isn't there, it might come in as 14-x. If it doesn't show up as 10-1 or 14-x, then it could be filtered out by a filter that is put on outside your house to filter out the analog channels (2-31). They sometimes do this if you have Comcast internet but not "at least" limited basic TV.
post #4555 of 4865 Old 04-11-2011, 10:37 AM

Thanks for the info. Just tuned the tv to 14, and it found the channel and remapped to 10.1 Not sure why, but the tv will drop its mapping and I will need to select the sub-channel to get it re-mapped occasionally.

Noticed that the OPB-HD channel and the analog channel are not synced. Are these considered two completely separate broadcasts?
post #4556 of 4865 Old 04-11-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon33 View Post
Thanks for the info. Just tuned the tv to 14, and it found the channel and remapped to 10.1 Not sure why, but the tv will drop its mapping and I will need to select the sub-channel to get it re-mapped occasionally.

Noticed that the OPB-HD channel and the analog channel are not synced. Are these considered two completely separate broadcasts?
KOPB-TV broadcasts 4 subchannels. The Comcast analog channel 10 is an analog version of 10-2 and not 10-1. So, yes, they are two different broadcasts. But in the evening the usually have the same content.
post #4557 of 4865 Old 04-15-2011, 12:07 PM

Does anyone know if Comcast has any local channels "copy freely" for cable-card use. I am looking at switching to Comcast and getting a Ceton InfiniTV 4 tuner. I would like to know if I would be able to remotely view recorded programs.
post #4558 of 4865 Old 04-15-2011, 12:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvcleave View Post

Does anyone know if Comcast has any local channels "copy freely" for cable-card use. I am looking at switching to Comcast and getting a Ceton InfiniTV 4 tuner. I would like to know if I would be able to remotely view recorded programs.

On my HD Tivo I can download most recorded programs via the HTTP interface (you point your browser to it). They are still encrypted at this point but are easily decrypted using the media key that came with the device and free software (the encryption method is well known). Note that decrypting the content in this manner may be against the law.

Some channels prevent you from downloading their programs. These are usually movies or sports events.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #4559 of 4865 Old 04-28-2011, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Comcast has added both ABC and FOX to OnDemand this morning.

Note that as per ABC and FOX, fast forwarding has been disabled, though the five minute skip using the page up/down button still seems to work.
post #4560 of 4865 Old 05-03-2011, 12:06 PM

Hi, I have an hdtv in the bedroom hooked up via coax but without the cable box. Receive the local stations only. Yesterday I lost KOIN 6.1. Did a rescan with no success. Comcast blamed KOIN, so called the station and naturally they blamed Comcast and said mine was the only such call recently. I still receive 6.0 SD. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page