Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #4651 of 4856 Old 09-25-2011, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The CBS pro game definitely looked better this week than last. No more obvious artifacts. Probably still not as clear as via OTA, but about the same as the Fox game.

BTW, Comcast never responded to my last email to them, where I told them that yes they were compressing the KOIN signal and that others had recorded the bandwidth differences between it and the OTA version. KOIN told us that Comcast "fixed something," but Comcast never did. Did anyone else receive word from Comcast that they had "fixed" something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4652 of 4856 Old 09-25-2011, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbeaux View Post

The CBS pro game definitely looked better this week than last. No more obvious artifacts. Probably still not as clear as via OTA, but about the same as the Fox game.

BTW, Comcast never responded to my last email to them, where I told them that yes they were compressing the KOIN signal and that others had recorded the bandwidth differences between it and the OTA version. KOIN told us that Comcast "fixed something," but Comcast never did. Did anyone else receive word from Comcast that they had "fixed" something?

No ..... Comcast has lawyered-up ..... last thing they need is a class-action suit.
post #4653 of 4856 Old 09-25-2011, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I came across this because I was trying to find out if KOIN's tower was having issues. All the KOIN shows I recorded during primetime this week (all in HD on my series 3) had quality issues. I don't watch using cable, but rather an antenna. I have seen no other such issues with the other new shows I recorded this week on the other networks.
post #4654 of 4856 Old 09-25-2011, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfishingdad View Post

I came across this because I was trying to find out if KOIN's tower was having issues. All the KOIN shows I recorded during primetime this week (all in HD on my series 3) had quality issues. I don't watch using cable, but rather an antenna. I have seen no other such issues with the other new shows I recorded this week on the other networks.

Other OTA viewers would beg to differ.
post #4655 of 4856 Old 09-25-2011, 08:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I haven't had any problems with local stations, but I can also see the blinking red tower lights through my front window.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #4656 of 4856 Old 09-25-2011, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Other OTA viewers with beg to differ with what? The problems with KOIN or the lack there-of with the others? For what it's worth I live in West Salem.
post #4657 of 4856 Old 09-25-2011, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Other OTA viewers will beg to differ with what? The problems with KOIN or the lack there-of with the others? For what it's worth I live in West Salem.

Ahh .. I see. Are you receiving KOIN-HD's signal from a Salem area repeater or directly from the KOIN Tower on the hills in Portland? I assumed you were closer to Portland.
post #4658 of 4856 Old 09-25-2011, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member

I have my antenna aimed at the PDX array of network antennas. Normally have zero problems.
post #4659 of 4856 Old 09-25-2011, 09:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Other OTA viewers with beg to differ with what? The problems with KOIN or the lack there-of with the others? For what it's worth I live in West Salem.

It would help if you could say what "quality issues" you're having. Are you having reception problems? Are you seeing poor quality HD? Do you not like CBS's new fall line-up?

post #4660 of 4856 Old 09-25-2011, 10:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I have my antenna aimed at the PDX array of network antennas. Normally have zero problems.

Same here. Zero problems.

post #4661 of 4856 Old 09-26-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:

Since this has nothing to do with Comcast you'll get better results by posting in this thread instead.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=168423
post #4662 of 4856 Old 10-04-2011, 12:57 AM

Earlier posts seems to indicate that Comcast fixed the KOIN-HD issues, but I'm still having issues - am I the only one?
Yesterday, for example, I was watching 60 minutes fine, but seems like as soon as Amazing Race started, it went to the crapper.. I think I noticed that during the day (weekends) it's better than at night.
post #4663 of 4856 Old 10-04-2011, 01:53 AM
Advanced Member

I watched both 60 Minutes and the Amazing Race via Comcast on KOIN-HD and both looked fine on Sunday evening here in Beaverton. Are you in a single family home with modern new underground utilities or in a multi-unit building in an older part of Portland?
post #4664 of 4856 Old 10-04-2011, 06:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George-O View Post

Are you in a single family home with modern new underground utilities or in a multi-unit building in an older part of Portland?

What would that have to do with anything?

You're not buying Comcast's "check your wiring" baloney, are you?

post #4665 of 4856 Old 10-04-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:

I watched both 60 Minutes and the Amazing Race via Comcast on KOIN-HD and both looked fine on Sunday evening here in Beaverton. Are you in a single family home with modern new underground utilities or in a multi-unit building in an older part of Portland?

I live in a multi-unit building that was built in 1992. Wiring shouldn't be too bad.

I just want to make sure that the problem is only on my side first, because I'm thinking of buying a signal booster, something like this. I think it might be signal quality since I'm splitting it 5 way (2 HDHR boxes) Although my neighbor was having the same issue even though he's not splitting it, that's why I thought it might be a Comcast issue.
post #4666 of 4856 Old 10-04-2011, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

1992 vintage wiring is a bit old (especially the splitters) for the new digital cable systems.

Like I said earlier, KOIN-HD still looks good today during the daytime broadcasts.
post #4667 of 4856 Old 10-04-2011, 09:14 PM

I have lost three of the STARZ HD channels in the guide and some HBO channels too. Has anybody seen this?
post #4668 of 4856 Old 10-04-2011, 09:16 PM

New channels were supposed to go online today (Oct 4), and there are some deletions, too:
Quote:

Effective 10/4/11, the following lineup changes will occur:
Starter lineup channel additions:
768 Oxygen HD
793 BBC America HD
788 Sprout HD
789 Hub HD
791 Bloomberg HD

Preferred lineup channel additions:
800 Fox Soccer HD
801 Galavision HD
235 Inspiration
512 Reelz

Sports Entertainment channel addition:
277 Crime & Investigation.

Lifetime Movie Network will move from channel 768 to 785.
BBC America 162 will move from Digital Preferred to Digital Starter.

Preferred Plus HD lineup channel deletions:
857 HBO Family HD
860 HBO Zone HD
859 HBO Comedy HD
836 Starz! Edge HD
839 Starz! Kids & Family HD
840 Starz! Comedy HD
Digital Premier HD lineup channel deletion:
864 More MAX HD

My RPTV-based "Narnia Theater"
post #4669 of 4856 Old 10-04-2011, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Just noticed that tonight myself, I got stars as part of my HD upgrade package and as far as I can tell it will remain no extra charge as long as my current contract is in force.
I'm sure they will rty to say it's some sort of "UPGRADE" like taking away all the analog channels and forcing basic customers to use one of those crap "free" boxes to watch them again.
Almost never watched any of them anyways but it sucks that they take away channels we got as part of the original package just because they can.
post #4670 of 4856 Old 10-04-2011, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

HMMM, will have to rescan some of the channels I never scan through then, I do like the idea of finally getting BBC America in HD, Pretty sure I'm at preferred HD at least since they talked me into the upgrade earlier this year.
post #4671 of 4856 Old 10-04-2011, 11:12 PM
Advanced Member

I'm really glad Comcast finally added Bloomberg HD at 791 (to complement CNBC-HD on 746 and Fox Business Network FBN-HD on 749).

All the business networks seem to be hiring more attractive (and intelligent) women who are also showing more cleavage these days. It makes things a bit more pleasant (particularly in HD) with a batch of attractive American, British and Asian based ladies reading teleprompters as I prepare my next day's trading strategy overnight.
post #4672 of 4856 Old 10-04-2011, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I get the main Stars west channel in HD, the others are working down in the non HD 500 range, I used to get all the stars feeds in HD so guess I'll have to watch and see if they get added again or it stays this way. I am getting BBC America in HD now on 793 so that's at least a plus, now I can watch Top Gear the way it was meant to be seen. My bill says I'm on HD preferred with stars thrown in and the triple play package.
post #4673 of 4856 Old 10-15-2011, 02:44 AM
Advanced Member

FWIW, I suspect that the hard copy complaint letter I mailed to Comcast about poor KOIN-HD CBS PQ and disconnected phone service about 5 weeks ago may have triggered this $20 Credit ..... I certainly did not ask for a credit, but never-the-less it was a pleasant surprise.

However, more importantly, even more of a pleasant surprise is that KOIN-HD CBS (delivered via Comcast) has remained comparable in PQ to the other major networks (incl ESPN) over these last 5 weeks.

Almost unimaginable
post #4674 of 4856 Old 10-16-2011, 07:48 AM

Your efforts are appreciated by us all, George-O!

post #4675 of 4856 Old 10-22-2011, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

This incoming device (an HD version of their current "first-two are free" SD DTA unit) may ultimately give Comcast an incentive to deliver the local channels with identically equal PQ as compared to OTA QAM reception (in order to stop losing any subscribers due to local channel PQ issues):

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post21112841
post #4676 of 4856 Old 11-01-2011, 05:53 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

This incoming device (an HD version of their current "first-two are free" SD DTA unit) may ultimately give Comcast an incentive to deliver the local channels with identically equal PQ as compared to OTA QAM reception (in order to stop losing any subscribers due to local channel PQ issues):

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post21112841

Interesting... A further sign of HD finally becoming ubiquitous? As far as PQ goes, they need to do more than keep the bit rates up. With the last round of channel stuffing it's quite clear that they've once again reduced or compressed the dynamic range/bit depth. Blotchy clayfaces and banding are pretty much everpresent and worse than ever now...

ron
post #4677 of 4856 Old 11-21-2011, 08:42 AM

NBC's HD feed from KGW went away during the last moments of the Sunday Night Football, so switched over to standard def for the remainder. Boy, are we spoiled with HD these days...

post #4678 of 4856 Old 11-21-2011, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 49
It didn't die on Frontier. However that being said, the audio was out on the 10pm news that KGW broadcasts on the CW, but the commercials were fine.
post #4679 of 4856 Old 12-01-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimProuty View Post

NBC's HD feed from KGW went away during the last moments of the Sunday Night Football, so switched over to standard def for the remainder. Boy, are we spoiled with HD these days...

http://www.kgw.com/news/Portland-TV-...134223883.html

Quote:

Portland TV stations lose signal

by Frank Mungeam, KGW.com Staff

Posted on November 20, 2011 at 11:39 PM

Updated Monday, Nov 21 at 11:44 AM

PORTLAND -- Three Portland TV stations lost their signal on many carriers Sunday evening, and again for a short time early Monday morning, and Portland's wild weather is being blamed.

The broadcasts from Channels 2, 6 and 8 went dark for many cable, satellite and over-the-air users at about 8:30 p.m. On KGW, the signal loss came during the final three minutes of Sunday Night Football. The Philadelphia Eagles won the game, 17-10.

KGW engineers created a solution at about 9:30 that restored broadcasts for Channel 8 viewers. The other two stations were able to restore their signal later Sunday night.

A tree fell into a power line, and the power line then damaged the fiber line that connects all three Portland stations to their transmitters in the West Hills, triggering the outage. Channel 12 was not affected because its studios are located in Beaverton, Oregon so its fiber line runs along a different route from the Sylvan Hills.

The three Portland stations also experienced a brief outage around 4:30 a.m. Monday while the main fiber line was severed in order to complete repairs.

All three stations were using backup transmitters until the repairs could be completed. Full repair fo the fiber line was expected by around noon Monday.

post #4680 of 4856 Old 12-12-2011, 10:27 AM

I'm seeing something strange on channel 708 (NBC/KGW). Near the left edge of the screen, a couple inches up from the bottom, there's a lighter-colored spot. It's a box, an inch or two across; it almost looks like burn-in or IR (which is what I thought it was at first), but doesn't show up on any other channels or On Demand (including NBC shows). I see it when either viewing the channel directly or in DVR'ed shows. It's most noticeable when the scene is dark/black in this area.

Does anybody else notice the same thing? I'll try to get a picture that shows it...
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page