Portland, OR - Comcast - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #451 of 4859 Old 11-01-2004, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hopefully they won't give us the 6412 DVR, and will instead bring us the MOXI system!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 4859 Old 11-02-2004, 01:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by cyberized
Has anyone called to "feel" them out as to when they think they will offer us the NEW 6412 HD DVR Receiver? I read on other threads that they are rolling them out at various places around the country right now. Must be getting close for us too - I HOPE.

Quote:

Originally posted by EchoOfGecko
Hopefully they won't give us the 6412 DVR, and will instead bring us the MOXI system!

In addition to the above, it should be noted that Comcast as a company operates under five separate, regional divisions, all of which make their own respective decisions regarding equipment acquisition (or lack thereof). We in the Western region (not including Southern California) are the only ones to not yet receive a DVR of any kind. Most have already gone with the 6208 (which is a single-tuner piece of crap, by all accounts), a few have reportedly seen the 6412, I'm not sure if any have yet seen the BMC9012 (otherwise known as the Moxi) on Comcast, but other cable companies have. Suffice it to say, we're the last in line, but likely to benefit with the choice of better hardware and more refined software. Hopefully we'll see both and have the option to choose both; even more hopefully they'll order some of the BMC9022D's (and increase the hard drive size), but I'm not holding my breath since their recent shift in attitude toward the BMC9012.
post #453 of 4859 Old 11-02-2004, 08:15 AM

I was watching MNF and decided to switch from Comcast back to my OTA Samsung. I noticed the colors were more intense from the OTA signal. I thought it might be a cable issue so I swapped and it still looked better from the Samsung.

Does anyone else have Comcast and their old OTA receiver? If so have you noticed the colors looking better on the OTA signal.

Thanks
post #454 of 4859 Old 11-02-2004, 10:20 AM

What is the current channel lineup for Comcast in the Portland metro?
post #455 of 4859 Old 11-02-2004, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Originally posted by NikeMan
Does anyone else have Comcast and their old OTA receiver? If so have you noticed the colors looking better on the OTA signal.

Yes but I have the saturation cranked up pretty high on my OTA receiver. MNF colors did look unusually dull on the Comcast box.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #456 of 4859 Old 11-02-2004, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Originally posted by johnand
What is the current channel lineup for Comcast in the Portland metro?

Go to www.comcast.com and find the "What's available in my area" - plug in your address.
post #457 of 4859 Old 11-02-2004, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Reading all this stuff about what and when new things are happening for Comcast cusomers here and there around the country - I decided to call my Local Comcast a few minutes ago and hope I could get some answers from "the horse's mouth" (Tech Support). You will be GLAD I called, this is what I was told not 10 minutes ago:
1) They plan to give us a NEW and much BETTER Guide on the 16th of this Month.
2) They plan to give us the MOXI Dual Tuner HDTV DVR but at present continue to try and work out problems with VOD and MOXI - - - - IF they cannot get that solved they will still give us a Motorola Dual Hard Drive HD DVR on a temporary basis and then when the MOXI/VOD problems are solved they will swap out receivers - - - of course their hope is to be able to not have to do that - they want to give us the MOXI with VOD. They are expecting to give us one or the other before Xmas.

Good NEWS eh?

Michael
post #458 of 4859 Old 11-02-2004, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for th update, Michael

Some people ate never satisfied so I have to ask Any update on KOIN, or are the A-Holes at Emmis still A-Holes

michael
post #459 of 4859 Old 11-02-2004, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

I have given up/QUIT writing or asking about that LOUSY local CBS attempted RIP OFF - figure it's not doing any good and so just wait for it to be worked out. I have been thinking about EMailing the FCC about it though - but - haven't researched that yet - as to IF even possible - what Dept ect. I would also - at same time take care of a LONG lasting Beach of mine - and that would be ask the FCC to make it so we don't have to stand by with our remotes in hand to constantly adjust the lousy Volume, since it is always going UP and Down depending on what is being FED us robots. I believe that the FCC should MAKE those who FEED us our drivel keep the Sound Level basically stable. WE should not have to BUY a new TV with a built in sound stabilizer.

Laters, Michael
post #460 of 4859 Old 11-02-2004, 02:14 PM

Any guess what the cheapest way will be to lease the hd pvr. Some subscribe to HD channels without the various non HD digital packages. Very reasonable. I am guessing they will not be able to add the pvr without signing up for additional programming. But what will the minimum be
post #461 of 4859 Old 11-02-2004, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

I did ask the fella I spoke to about what the added expense was going to be to upgrade to a HD DVR Receiver from the DCT 6200, which we pay $5.00 extra for. Would it be another $5 or what? This he could NOT answer yet. I hope it won't be more than $10.00 total.

Laters, Michael
post #462 of 4859 Old 11-02-2004, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 167
any update on getting UPN in HD?

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #463 of 4859 Old 11-02-2004, 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by cyberized
I did ask the fella I spoke to about what the added expense was going to be to upgrade to a HD DVR Receiver from the DCT 6200, which we pay $5.00 extra for. Would it be another $5 or what? This he could NOT answer yet. I hope it won't be more than $10.00 total.

Laters, Michael

Aren't there regions in the states that already have this service? How much are they paying?
post #464 of 4859 Old 11-04-2004, 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by devwild
Aren't there regions in the states that already have this service? How much are they paying?

$10/mo seems to be easily the most common charge. (Net cost to anyone paying $5 for an HD cable box now would be $5 since the DVR would normally replace that box.)

When I researched this a few months ago I did see some that were going a few bucks cheaper and one that was $20, but by far the majority were at $10.
post #465 of 4859 Old 11-05-2004, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

In Baltimore it is $10 total, 5 for HD and 5 for the 6412.

Rich N.
post #466 of 4859 Old 11-05-2004, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Well, my 6 month experiment with Voom is over. I cancelled and returned to Comcast because of the rain fade and because they have a $400 switch-back offer. The CSR's were clueless and the Comcast installer was a no show the first attempt so I guess customer service hasn't changed much since I started this thread. Did finally get installed and the HD box was the 6200, not the 5100 I had before. Asked about the DVR and the installer said he heard they would be distributing them (at no charge) in a month or so. Looks like they added a few HD channels, but nothing at all like VOOM. Looks like local CBS still behaving like a spoiled child since I didn't see its HD. I figured they'd work things out by now. Another missed Superbowl? Damn. On the bright side, the signal doesn't fade!
post #467 of 4859 Old 11-05-2004, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

If you have Fox on your Comcast you won't miss the SuperBowl. I have CBS but not Fox so I'm the one (all of Baltimore and Baltimore County, actually) who'll miss the SuperBowl in HD. Sinclair strikes again.

Rich N.
post #468 of 4859 Old 11-05-2004, 01:31 PM

vince2,

One thing did change - the Superbowl will be on Fox this year (NFC playoffs too). The Seahawks game was in HD last Sunday.
post #469 of 4859 Old 11-05-2004, 07:49 PM

Is anyone recording via the firewire port?
post #470 of 4859 Old 11-06-2004, 07:57 AM

I've tried but have been unable to despite having everything required (firmware, drivers, etc). For most people it seems to either work the first time (after setting it up right) or not at all. The few that have made it work from my situation (a nasty little software error) haven't bothered to say in any detail how. Relavent thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=403695
post #471 of 4859 Old 11-06-2004, 08:51 AM

That's the thread I was using as well. Can't get past the "failure to connect sample grabber" despite seeming to have all the necessary pieces. Starting to wonder if it is Comcast in our area. Was hoping someone here might be able to confirm/deny.
post #472 of 4859 Old 11-06-2004, 06:38 PM

Quote:

Can't get past the "failure to connect sample grabber" despite seeming to have all the necessary pieces. Starting to wonder if it is Comcast in our area.

Same problem here, you may be right
post #473 of 4859 Old 11-08-2004, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

[quote]Originally posted by ZXTT
[b]...the Superbowl will be on Fox this year (NFC playoffs too). ..[quote]

Awesome!!!!!!!
post #474 of 4859 Old 11-08-2004, 03:56 PM

Got one of those normally worthless messages on my digital box yesterday. It said the new channel guide will be loaded on Nov 10th. This is the first time I can remember that one of those messages actually said something I was interested in, lol. Why they don't use that function to tell people about new channels, free preview periods, etc, I'll never understand.

Dev
post #475 of 4859 Old 11-08-2004, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I never bother to look at these messages either. But your post led me to look at what I had in my "message box". What do you know? There was a notice from 10/20 "Love Basketball?" that said that NBA TV was going to have a freeview period. And that was followed up on 10/31 with another invitation to take a look 11/3 to 11/9.

I guess I need to to a bit more surfing through the Main menus from time to time. And I actually have never bothered to learn all the things the current guides/menus can do. But maybe I'll wait until the new guide is up before I try to educate myself.

Bob
post #476 of 4859 Old 11-10-2004, 08:31 AM

I checked out the newly downloaded menu and info system on my Comcast box this morning. So far I like it much better than the old one. Text resolution and color schemes are much improved IMHO. I also noticed a menu option for recording, so those DVR's can't be too far away

It seemed to me that the image quality for non-HD digital and analog stations has also improved. I didn't examine that many stations, but KOIN and the NFL Network looked better to me. I'll be interested to hear if other people also see a difference.

Dev
post #477 of 4859 Old 11-10-2004, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The new menus are much easier and more logical to navigate through. But they left off HD locals 703, 704, 712 from their list of HD stations. Will we get another download?
post #478 of 4859 Old 11-10-2004, 07:27 PM

Not sure, but I took those absences to mean that at that moment, those stations were not showing HD shows (even though they are capable of doing so). In other words, if HD station X isn't showing an HD program at the time you inquire, it doesn't show up in that menu.

I better check this out, heh.

Dev
post #479 of 4859 Old 11-11-2004, 04:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by DevlinNulland
Inoticed a menu option for recording, so those DVR's can't be too far away

Q: I noticed that the new On-Screen Guide includes an icon with an R on it, with the description, "Set a Recording". Does this mean that I can now record programs on my cable box?
A: If you have a Digital Video Recorder (DVR), you can record programs to your cable box's hard drive. If not, then this icon may be used to record a program to your VCR.
post #480 of 4859 Old 11-11-2004, 07:30 AM

I was able to see the locals in the HD menu as well.

I also really like the fact that you can change the color scheme, and almost all of the available colors look fantastic! It's amazing how something as simple as a menu change can make such a big impact.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page