Advertisement

post #4772 of 4859 Old 09-12-2012, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zyland View Post

The FCC has declared an analog cable sunset date.
http://www.fcc.gov/document/viewability-rule-sunsets-affordable-boxes-or-analog-carriage-allowed
So cable TV no longer have to carry local channels in the analog format after December 12, 2012 at all. But until that time, they "can" switch to digital provided they provide a digital to analog converter box.
I see some people are already getting a "you will need a digital to analog converter after September 12, 2012" notice from Comcast.
By my count, that's 26 physical channels being converted from analog to digital. That's a lot of new HD channels?
Just checked, Clark County is now getting the

If you can see this message, the TV you're
watching isn't yet ready for Comcast's
recent digital network enhancements
for
XFINITY TV.

Go to www.comcast.com/digitalnow or call
1-877-634-4434 to order your device or for
more information.

barker on all the channels that were previously analog cable TV. Wonder how long the barker will displayed before they start using those channels?
post #4773 of 4859 Old 09-12-2012, 09:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Cable companies have been switching off analog service for years in other areas like Chicago. It may be partially to free up bandwidth but it has done a far better job of preventing cable theft. Apparently it was common to find dozens of splitters whenever they traced the cables in apartment buildings.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #4774 of 4859 Old 10-23-2012, 05:26 PM

Coming back to Comcast after two years. Pac12 and Comcast sportsNW.....two reasons. Anyway is the picture quality on the SD channel any better. I did notice that on the basic limited channels I current get, they seem clearer since I put a DTA on it. I am coming back no matter what......just interested.
post #4775 of 4859 Old 11-18-2012, 11:43 AM

Liked: 16
Last night I went to OnDemand to watch the 11/10 SNL. There was a charge for it! Has SNL always been this way and I've just never tried to watch one, or is this something new? Either way, since Comcast owns NBC and I'm already paying Comcast, this seems ridiculous to me.

And James Smith, as to your question "is the picture quality on the SD channel any better" . . . . better than what? OTA? HD? I don't know what you're asking.
post #4776 of 4859 Old 11-20-2012, 08:49 AM

Update on the above On Demand issue. When in On Demand, if I use "find by network" and go to NBC, then SNL is available in HD for free. But if I start with the alphabetical "find by TV show," and go to SNL, it tells me I have to subscribe to the "Streampix" service for an additional $4.99 a month. What on earth is going on? This is what I'm paying nearly $100 a month for as the TV portion of my triple play bundle? I'm really getting close to pulling the plug on Comcast, and going strictly OTA.
post #4777 of 4859 Old 11-20-2012, 09:57 AM

Here's the EXTREMELY UNSATISFACTORY answer, from an on-line chat I just had with Comcast customer service, transcript pasted below. If anybody from Comcast monitors this forum, I hope you realize why you are losing subscribers.

analyst Benjamin has entered room

Benjamin: Hello Gregory, Thank you for contacting Comcast Live Chat Support. My name is Benjamin. Please give me one moment to review your information.

Gregory: My Issue: In On Demand, if I start with "find by network" and go to NBC, episodes of Saturday Night Live in HD are free. But start with "find by TV show" and go to SNL, it won't let me watch those same episodes unless I sign up for Streampix at $4.99

Benjamin: Great to have you on chat, Gregory . I hope your day is doing just fine.

Benjamin: I understand you would like to watch Saturday Night Live in HD, is this correct?

Gregory: No. Read the question I asked carefully, please.

Benjamin: If I understood it correctly, you are trying to watch Saturday Night Live through find by TV show however it will require Streampix Subscirption. Is this correct?

Gregory: No! the same episode comes up as free if I find it by network, but if I find it by TV show, it says I have to sign up for Streampix. It should be the same no matter how I find it. If it is free, it is free.

Gregory: Or it should be free, that is.

Benjamin: Let me go ahead and check on your account further to verify if the program is part of your channel list.

Benjamin: Please give me a minute.

Benjamin: Gregory, I see here that the reason why it would require you Streampix Subscription is because if you find it by TV show, it will give your all the episodes of Saturday Night Live, that includes past episodes. This is not free unless you are subscribed to Streampix. If you try to wath it in NBC, it will only give you the latest episode, you will not be able to view the previous episodes.

Benjamin: If you watch it the latest episode only through NBC, yes you can watch it free since it is part of your channel. However, if you watch all episodes inlcluding the previous ones, this is no longer free. Subscirption to Streampix is required.

Gregory: I understand your answer. But please be advised that this is terrible customer service -- not you, the On Demand guide. When I was trying to watch SNL the other night, if I had known I could get it for free simply by looking for it a different way, I would have been able to watch the episode I wanted. There is no explanation of this. Terrible. We can end this chat now. Good-bye.

Benjamin: I understand, your feedback is highly appreciated. If you need assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us through Live Chat or E-Mail (available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week). Comcast also offers great FAQ and Help forums located at www.Comcast.net to help you solve many issues on your own. You can also reach us through our Hotline 1-800-COMCAST (1-800-266-227. Don't forget, you can watch full TV shows and movies online, check out www.xfinitytv.com for more information. Thank you for contacting Comcast! We appreciate your business!

Benjamin: Have a great day ahead. Goodbye.
post #4778 of 4859 Old 11-20-2012, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So hopefully someone here can help me out with figuring out the Comcast Portland situation that's changing in December.

I've enjoyed using 4 digital QAM TV Tuners to record Comcast Limited Basic shows onto my PC for some time. I just got a note in the mail stating that I'll need a cable box for limited basic.

After spending an hour on the phone with Comcast, I couldn't get them to tell me if this is because they're turning off the analog signal or because they're finally encrypting the channels under 32 (they've had encrypted channels above 31 for some time).

As someone who's happily paying $12 a month to get HD local channels over digital QAM that I split 4 ways into my 4 tuners (so that I can record 4 different shows at once), obviously if they start encrypting the local channels, I'm likely hosed. Even if I were to more than quadruple my cable bill (or more), I'd have to find a way to put 4 top set boxes into my entertainment center.

Is it so bad to want control over the TV signal once it's in my house and all I want to watch is shows on the major (NBC/ABC/CBS/Fox) networks with HD signal and not get charged tons of money? They have the technology to charge by channel...when's that coming? wink.gif

If comcast really is going to encrypt Limited Basic, I guess I have no choice but to either be fleeced or go to way of OTA (according to the gov maps, I'm not in the best place for OTA reception).

Unless someone knows for sure what's happening, my plan is to rescan on December 15th with Comcast and see what comes up. A new HD antenna's only a free 2-day Amazon shipment away! smile.gif

AdTHANKSvance
post #4779 of 4859 Old 01-02-2013, 01:14 PM

I've lost the ability to record OPB on my EyeTV setup, and I think it's due to insufficient signal strength. Things had been working fine for over three years, but sometime in October I lost the ability to receive or record the OPB digital channels (710 and 310). I could sometimes see bits of frames but no sustained video.

I currently use an Elgato EyeTV 250 to record the unscrambled local HD channels from Comcast. I don't want to pay $17/month for the Comcast DVR, and most of the scrambled programs I can't record end up on the On Demand service that comes with our service (Digital Preferred at the moment).

I did some troubleshooting. I was splitting my cable to five devices. I split it in the basement, sending one feed to our office and the other into our living room. In the office the signal is split between a DTA and a cable modem. In the living room I split the cable again, with one feed going to the Comcast cable box and the other feed going to another splitter. From that third splitter I was feeding one cable to another DTA hooked up to an old NTSC DVR and the other to the Eye TV box. As I wrote at the top, this setup had been working fine for me up to a few months ago.

A few nights ago I ran the EyeTV setup assistant, and channels 310 and 710 disappeared from my channel list. I assume those signals were now too weak to lock in.

As a test I took the cable feed from the living room and plugged it directly into the EyeTV (bypassing those two splitters in the living room), then rescanned the channels. 710 and 310 reappeared. Using the signal strength meter on the EyeTV I found that every channel except the OPB stations had a signal strength of around 22%; the OPB stations came in at around 16%, enough to view and record.

I then tried bypassing just the second splitter, so the cable coming into the living room was split between the cable box and the EyeTV (I rarely use the old DVR). As expected, the signal strength diminished. Most of the channels now come in at around 18-19%, and the two OPB channels come in at around 12-13%. That's a barely usable signal that starts exhibiting big blocks of digital noise and breakup.

I then hooked things up the way they were originally, using both splitters in the living room. I end up with a signal strength of 16% for most channels and only 10% for OPB. At that point there's no usable signal, and channels 310 and 710 don't display anything except a "No Signal" notice.

Any guess as to why just the OPB signals are coming in so low?

Any suggestions as to how I should proceed? Do I call out Comcast to check the signal, even though the problem is affecting my equipment, not theirs? Do I try to install some sort of signal booster? I'm reading that those won't necessarily help.

Thanks.

Shawn Marshall
NE Portland
post #4780 of 4859 Old 01-02-2013, 01:35 PM

I think I'd try them first. My Mother just had a box (theirs) quit working due to signal strength. They had added subscribers somewhere on the line causing the problem. They went upstream and cranked the signal & problem fixed. If possible I wouldn't let on how much you're dividing your feed.
~Lash
post #4781 of 4859 Old 01-02-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARUE View Post

I think I'd try them first. My Mother just had a box (theirs) quit working due to signal strength. They had added subscribers somewhere on the line causing the problem. They went upstream and cranked the signal & problem fixed. If possible I wouldn't let on how much you're dividing your feed.
~Lash

Thanks for the quick reply. Can Comcast boost the signal from their end or would they be apt to send a guy out to test the signal first? Since it's not an issue with their box I don't want to be charged for a service call.

Cheers.

Shawn
post #4782 of 4859 Old 01-03-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverinero79 View Post

Unless someone knows for sure what's happening, my plan is to rescan on December 15th with Comcast and see what comes up. A new HD antenna's only a free 2-day Amazon shipment away! smile.gif

What did you end up doing? I have comcast limited basic and use the QAM tuner in my TV to get HD network channels. I rarely watch the analog SD content. All analog SD content now has the red barker up, however I still have access to the HD digital channels. It was my understanding that these would be encrypted along with the rest. Is this no longer true? If I install the DTA from comcast, will I be able to receive the HD network channels?
post #4783 of 4859 Old 01-08-2013, 05:58 PM

Hey all--

I want to know what is up with the 2 "free" DTA boxes Comcast sent me approximately 2 years ago, that they started charging $1.99 a month for last October. In the Feb/March issue of Home Theater magazine there is an item on page 21, "FCC OKs Basic-Tier Encryption," that says the FCC is requiring cable operators to wait two years before charging basic subscribers for the DTA box, or one-year if the subscriber has a higher level of service--like I do. So I'm wondering why Comcast was able to start charging all of us $1.99 last October. Are they breaking the law?

Related story in the Oregonian 1/3/13 here: http://www.oregonlive.com/silicon-forest/index.ssf/2013/01/comcast_will_require_basic_cab.html
post #4784 of 4859 Old 01-08-2013, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goes to 11 View Post

Hey all--
I want to know what is up with the 2 "free" DTA boxes Comcast sent me approximately 2 years ago, that they started charging $1.99 a month for last October. In the Feb/March issue of Home Theater magazine there is an item on page 21, "FCC OKs Basic-Tier Encryption," that says the FCC is requiring cable operators to wait two years before charging basic subscribers for the DTA box, or one-year if the subscriber has a higher level of service--like I do. So I'm wondering why Comcast was able to start charging all of us $1.99 last October. Are they breaking the law?
Related story in the Oregonian 1/3/13 here: http://www.oregonlive.com/silicon-forest/index.ssf/2013/01/comcast_will_require_basic_cab.html
I don't know, but I just noticed the charge this last month and will be calling in to complain.
post #4785 of 4859 Old 01-09-2013, 03:23 AM
Advanced Member

Same question here .... let us know what Comcast says.
post #4786 of 4859 Old 01-09-2013, 09:25 AM

Yes, Crossbeaux, please do.
post #4787 of 4859 Old 01-09-2013, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Don't know about breaking the law. I called Comcast to complain. I explained that the DTAs were offered to me for free. She said that here (Portland) they have started charging for them in October (I think). I said I had them from the beginning, and I thought we were grandfathered in, and only new customers would be charged. She said that was not so, everyone was being charged. I said I was never notified that I was going to be charged for these. She apologized and offered to compensate me by giving me some additional service for free for a while. But, sucker for media that I am, I already have every service I want, I told her just to subtract the DTA charges already accumulated, and she agreed.

Bottom line, I'll be taking the DTA I have (on an almost never used TV upstairs) back to Comcast.
post #4788 of 4859 Old 01-09-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbeaux View Post

Don't know about breaking the law. I called Comcast to complain. I explained that the DTAs were offered to me for free. She said that here (Portland) they have started charging for them in October (I think). I said I had them from the beginning, and I thought we were grandfathered in, and only new customers would be charged. She said that was not so, everyone was being charged. I said I was never notified that I was going to be charged for these. She apologized and offered to compensate me by giving me some additional service for free for a while. But, sucker for media that I am, I already have every service I want, I told her just to subtract the DTA charges already accumulated, and she agreed.
Bottom line, I'll be taking the DTA I have (on an almost never used TV upstairs) back to Comcast.

I'm sure they did notify you, the same way they notified me--a paragraph printed on my bill. Who actually reads their bill? And if you've signed up for on-line billing, even less likely. I don't remember how I finally noticed it, I think I was looking at an old bill for some other reason.

For me, this is the straw that breaks the camel's back. I'm taking everything back, and we're going to try going OTA for a while. No Mad Men. No Walking Dead. No Justified. No Monday Night Football. Of course for the non-sports things, I'll be saving so much $$ that I'll buy the blu-rays as soon as they come out.

If I decide I can't take it, from Dish you can get America's Top 120, plus a 2 TERABYTE DVR (I am so sick of my 20 hour HD capacity from Comcast) that can be viewed in a second room for a little more than half of what I'm paying Comcast. So, if I change my mind about living with OTA, I won't be going back to cable.

In the meantime, I'm going to try one of the M6620N units discussed in this thread for OTA recording: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1195962/official-dvico-tvix-m6620n-hd-atsc-qam-tuner-topic
post #4789 of 4859 Old 01-09-2013, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah same for me .... had those DTAs since day one.

I saw it coming in my October statement that's why I returned one of the three that I had at that time and only have been paying for now since the policy change (instead of just the third one from before) .... "Charge More and deliver Less" .... That's the American Way .... no wonder the rest of the world hates our business leaders.
post #4790 of 4859 Old 03-06-2013, 06:38 PM

Has anybody noticed lots of pixelization on KGW lately? Like the local news just completely broke up at 6:35 pm, 3/6/13? And yes, I have to admit I have not followed through on my post above and returned everything yet, but this is (mostly) because I haven't had the time to locate an antenna high enough to get all local channels. This pixelization issue is just another poke in my eye. I am going to go OTA, and soon!
post #4791 of 4859 Old 04-10-2013, 11:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
If anyone is still watching this thread, the following HD channels were added today, here in Portland.

NatGeo Wild HD (Ch 774)
Ovation HD (Ch 786)
CSPAN HD (Ch 792)
Sportsman Channel HD (Ch 806)
GSN HD (Ch 807)
TV Guide HD (Ch 808)
Smithsonian HD (Ch 809)
Cooking Channel HD (Ch 810)
IndiePlex HD (Ch 832) and
RetroPlex HD (Ch 833)
post #4792 of 4859 Old 04-11-2013, 01:05 AM

Thanks for the info!

Do you scan real often, how did you find these?

I think it only adds the TV Guide to my lowly package.

~Lash
post #4793 of 4859 Old 04-11-2013, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Still watching the thread. Thanks for the update.
post #4794 of 4859 Old 04-11-2013, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by earletp View Post

If anyone is still watching this thread, the following HD channels were added today, here in Portland.

I still monitor this thread just to keep up to date on what's happening with my alternative. I re-upped with Frontier a couple of months ago so there's little chance for me to switch over the next 2 years but still like to keep up with the local Comcast and OTA threads. Thanks for posting.
post #4795 of 4859 Old 04-11-2013, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

I'm old fashioned and still graze the guide when I'm looking for something to watch. smile.gif

No FIOS here so I stick with Comcast. At least they just doubled my HSI to 50/10 Mbps.
post #4796 of 4859 Old 04-16-2013, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I still monitor too, though from some distance to the north.
post #4797 of 4859 Old 06-11-2013, 05:32 PM

Has anyone heard when we might be getting the X1 upgrade in portland/vancouver?
post #4798 of 4859 Old 06-12-2013, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

What is the "X1" upgrade supposed to get you?
post #4799 of 4859 Old 06-12-2013, 03:14 PM

I wondered the same thing and checked their website and whatever else I could find. Looks like they're finally bringing a DVR to compete with "The Hopper" etc. Multi-room viewing, can record 4 (maybe 5?) channels at once, lots of capacity so that at 15 hours of HD you aren't hitting the limit already.
post #4800 of 4859 Old 06-12-2013, 03:58 PM

Info for it is here: http://wwwb.comcast.com/x1

they said that half of their markets are supposed to be upgraded by midyear and all markets by end of 2013.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page