Portland, OR - Comcast - Page 161 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #4801 of 4859 Old 06-26-2013, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am starting new service with Comcast in the Hillsdale SW hills area (near OHSU). I have not been following the latest developments in their equipment but when I requested a whole house dvr they seemed to imply they have one. We are hooking up for my family three TVs and a Silicondust HD HomeRun CableCard device. It took me a while to get them to say they would bring the needed cablecard and when I google the device there are horror stories on getting the service started on Comcast (the card enables windows media center to function in lieu of a dvr). Anyone using a CableCard locally and want to share some tips. It will be great to have the Trailblazers back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4802 of 4859 Old 06-26-2013, 01:27 PM

Liked: 16
If you succeed in getting a whole-house DVR, please let the rest of us know.
post #4803 of 4859 Old 06-26-2013, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by yes dear View Post

I am starting new service with Comcast in the Hillsdale SW hills area (near OHSU). I have not been following the latest developments in their equipment but when I requested a whole house dvr they seemed to imply they have one. We are hooking up for my family three TVs and a Silicondust HD HomeRun CableCard device. It took me a while to get them to say they would bring the needed cablecard and when I google the device there are horror stories on getting the service started on Comcast (the card enables windows media center to function in lieu of a dvr). Anyone using a CableCard locally and want to share some tips. It will be great to have the Trailblazers back.
Is this different from the AnyRoom DVR that they've been offering for a while. I have that and have been using it for a year or so. What I'm waiting for is the newer cloud DVR with a lot more storage and the ability to record four or more shows simultaneously. I haven't heard of this in Portland yet.
Goes to 11 likes this.
post #4804 of 4859 Old 06-26-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbeaux View Post

Is this different from the AnyRoom DVR that they've been offering for a while. I have that and have been using it for a year or so. What I'm waiting for is the newer cloud DVR with a lot more storage and the ability to record four or more shows simultaneously. I haven't heard of this in Portland yet.

That's what I'm looking for, and I should have been clearer. Thanks crossbeaux.
post #4805 of 4859 Old 06-26-2013, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've been running a prime for close to a couple of years now. The hardest part for me was getting WMC back working in my win7 ultimate 64 install and the sleep functions on my mother board playing nice. The cable card setup for me was really easy and I called the 800 number and gave them the info that my prime had in it's setup page then just let it slowly populate the guide and find all my paid for channels. any of the pay movie channels are copy once here, everything else is copy freely, though other system can do what they want including locking down all their channels to copy once.
I now can do what I used to be able to do with at least the local HD channels and my clear QAM tuner in my PC, but now all of them are HD and I have 3 tuners to use at once.
Best cable upgrade I've done in years and wish I had done it earlier. The first card here is free, plus you get a 2.50 credit for customer owned equipment BUT they more then make up for it with taxes and rental on your other stuff.
post #4806 of 4859 Old 07-01-2013, 03:51 PM

I've had the Silicondust HD HomeRun Prime CableCard device for most of a year now and it works great, both on Win7 and Win8 using WMC. I live in SW PDX in sight of the Sylvan antennas and had been using OTA for the most part, along with Limited Basic cable. I got the 1-year upgrade deal to Digital Starter with HD, got the cable card (had to pick it up) and called to activate. All went well except for one extended problem: I couldn't get most of the HD channels. After many hours on the phone with tech support, and a few days, they finally sent a truck to my house. The service guy found a legacy notch filter on my line at the pole (which, by the way, tech support assured me over the phone that these devices were all removed). Once finally removed, all channels registered and I'm a happy camper. Love that I can watch and record from any PC in the house (including the living room media center), share tuners and recordings among them all over the network, and have virtually unlimited storage for recordings.
post #4807 of 4859 Old 07-04-2013, 06:05 PM

After using a DCH3416 cable box for several years, I decided to try to use the digital tuner built in to my television (Hitachi 57S700). I used to use the digital tuner before I got the cable box. It supports both ATSC off-air and QAM cable. When I hooked it up, it did not recognize the cable signal. I tried a channel scan and it detected nothing. Did Comcast (Vancouver) switch to SDV or some other incompatible system so that older HDTV QAM digital tuners no longer work? Are there no more in-the-clear channels, either SD or HD?
post #4808 of 4859 Old 08-15-2013, 07:46 PM

Anybody get the new X1 box/guide yet? It's apparently only available for new customers right now. I think that's how they rolled it out in other markets as well - any idea how long it took in those cases for them to release it for existing customers?

http://www.oregonlive.com/silicon-forest/index.ssf/2013/08/comcast_brings_glossy_new_x1_d.html
post #4809 of 4859 Old 08-16-2013, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Not me yet. I'm trying to burn down all of my saved programs before I attempt the switch. Does anyone know if this thing works with the AnyRoom? I've got to have that.
post #4810 of 4859 Old 08-16-2013, 07:20 PM

Yes, it actually has multiroom viewing that is much better than what we currently have. For instance you can record shows from any room. I haven't tried calling them to see if I can get it yet as an existing customer. If anyone does please post your experience and if you were able to get it. Here is some info about it. http://www.comcast.com/x1
post #4811 of 4859 Old 08-20-2013, 01:09 PM

I recently moved my Magnavox DVD recorder from a house that had DISH dvr service to a house that has Comcast. The problem with Comcast (DCH3416) is that the S-VIDEO / COMPOSITE connections show a stretched SD and a letterboxed HD. With DISH I could record both SD and HD stations without any distortion and actually did most recording off HD channels. I have the menu set properly and my HDTV works perfectly with 4:3 override set to "off" but 4:3 override seems to still be "on" with the cable connections running from the box to my DVD recorder. I am thinking maybe I could use the component outs from the STB with a converter to s-video but when I check the digital SD channels they are also stretched so maybe this is the signal coming from Comcast and the menu disables it on the HDMI out????? Or maybe Magnavox is incompatible with Comcast HD????

Does Comcast have a better dvr or is there a way to fix this nonsense?
Comcast support is absolutely worthless.

Thanks for any responses.
post #4812 of 4859 Old 08-20-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchump View Post

I recently moved my Magnavox DVD recorder . . .

Does Comcast have a better dvr or is there a way to fix this nonsense?

I think you are talking about recording shows from the Comcast DVR to your Magnavox DVD recorder? If so, what I can tell you is that I have a Toshiba DVD recorder and an old (likely, first or second gen) Comcast Motorola DVR, and I get the same result as you: any recordings I make from a hi-def channel are letterboxed. Nevertheless, I prefer watching the letterboxed version to recording the same program from SD where it typically is either stretched or pan & scan. And if I use the zoom feature on the TV, I can use the letterbox version to fill the screen without distortion and often without losing too much of the picture.
post #4813 of 4859 Old 08-21-2013, 09:58 AM

Thanks for responding Goes to 11.

You're going through the same thing as me and Comcast won't even admit there is a problem.
I suspect all Motorola boxes are just plain NFG...when using a DVD recorder.
DISH (and others) output on s-video / composite is at 16:9 resolution with no letterboxing or stretching.
The only letterboxing is on channels like TCM or Showtime which I also prefer but they are still at FULL 16:9 resolution.
You are losing 2/3 of the quality and I'm not kidding about that!
And you should NEVER have to use the zoom on your tv.
I have two big screen TVs and two Magnavox recorders and the average person can't tell the difference between the live HD pic on one screen and the pic coming from my recorder on the other.
SD @ 1080p w/ progressive scan is the next best thing to pure HD.

Yesterday I borrowed a component to s-video converter and it did indeed fix the problem but with some minor picture degradation.

So today I'm going back to Comcast to get a dvr box that doesn't have this problem or I'm going to switch to DISH.
If anyone knows a Comcast STB that doesn't have this problem I would sure like to know the model #.

Thanks,
bigchump
post #4814 of 4859 Old 08-21-2013, 10:57 AM

You're welcome.

One of my biggest pet peeves staying at hotels is when they've stretched the aspect ratio on the TV, and given me some universal remote that won't allow me to change it to the correct setting. Having said that, I think saying "never" use zoom is too strong a word. For some non-critical viewing, e.g., a talking head, an old program that was shot in 4:3, I find zoom acceptable. For any movie, or Breaking Bad or whatever, absolutely not.

Maybe the new Comcast Xfinity X1 box doesn't have this issue?
post #4815 of 4859 Old 08-22-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goes to 11 View Post

You're welcome.
Maybe the new Comcast Xfinity X1 box doesn't have this issue?

If it's made by Motorola then it probably does.
The head moron-in-charge at the Comcast store on Sandy Blvd. told me that no cable box outputs SD in 16:9.
So I cancelled my account right then and there.
DISH installer will be here today.....
I've been told that DIRECT-TV doesn't have this problem either.
post #4816 of 4859 Old 08-24-2013, 05:11 AM

Switched to DISH two days ago and the problems are GONE.
Got the new "Hopper + Joey" setup and couldn't be happier.
Outputs full 16:9 SD from the composite but that can also be changed to 480i or 480p but I can't imagine anyone wanting that....
It also connects through Wi-Fi to my router & PC's.
Each Joey (used in other rooms) has full dvr HD service also.
THAT MEANS FULL HOUSE DVR IN HD and it works without problems (so far).
The Hopper unit has three tuners so three different channels can be recorded at the same time.

BYE BYE COMCAST!
post #4817 of 4859 Old 08-24-2013, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Switched to DISH two days ago and the problems are GONE.
Got the new "Hopper + Joey" setup and couldn't be happier.
Outputs full 16:9 SD from the composite but that can also be changed to 480i or 480p but I can't imagine anyone wanting that....
It also connects through Wi-Fi to my router & PC's.
Each Joey (used in other rooms) has full dvr HD service also.
THAT MEANS FULL HOUSE DVR IN HD and it works without problems (so far).
The Hopper unit has three tuners so three different channels can be recorded at the same time.

BYE BYE COMCAST!
Do you get Comcast Sports Net for the Blazers? Do you get the new FOX 1 sports channel for Ducks and Beavers? Pac-12 Network?
post #4818 of 4859 Old 08-24-2013, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Dish Network carries Pac12 and FS1. Satellite does not have your CSN because Comcast keeps it hostage by charging ESPN-like rates for a channel that is only available to a fraction of the population. They do it in Philadelphia and Houston, too. CSN channels that WERE Fox Sports channels are on satellite (Chicago, New England, Mid Atlantic, the California feeds). It should be illegal and Comcrap should be ashamed of themselves. Root Sports is owned by Directv and you don't see them pulling this crap.
post #4819 of 4859 Old 08-26-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbeaux View Post

Do you get Comcast Sports Net for the Blazers? Do you get the new FOX 1 sports channel for Ducks and Beavers? Pac-12 Network?

I get both FOX 1 and Pac-12 but not CSN.
Pac-12 has multiple sub-channels so it should be possible to record up to three different games at the same time.
I still have Comcast internet so CSN is available on any of my PC's.
The "hopper" setup is the greatest thing going.
I can watch anything on my sailboat which is 13 miles from the house and also control the dvr from there.
Try that with Comcast.....
post #4820 of 4859 Old 08-27-2013, 06:41 AM

Quote:

I get both FOX 1 and Pac-12 but not CSN.
Pac-12 has multiple sub-channels so it should be possible to record up to three different games at the same time.
I still have Comcast internet so CSN is available on any of my PC's.
The "hopper" setup is the greatest thing going.
I can watch anything on my sailboat which is 13 miles from the house and also control the dvr from there.
Try that with Comcast.....

They offer CSN streaming now?
post #4821 of 4859 Old 08-28-2013, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ball3r View Post

They offer CSN streaming now?

Try this:
http://www.csnnw.com/page/csnnwcom-live

I know, I know it's WEAK compared to the CSN's in other cities...
post #4822 of 4859 Old 09-16-2013, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone switched over to the new X1 DVR yet? A recent Oregonian story said the new box was available only to new customers, but a friend of mine spoke to Comcast recently and they told him he could get one if he wanted (he was going on vacation so he didn't do it yet.) The X1 forum on this site is filled with people having all sorts of problems and complaining about lack of features. I was ready to switch over, simply because of the ability to record more shows at the same time. But now I'm very leery.
post #4823 of 4859 Old 09-16-2013, 08:31 AM

I was having an on-line chat with Comcast on Saturday, trying to lower my rate, and asked when I would be able to get a box similar Dish's Hopper w/ Joey. This is what I was told:

X1 HD-DVR is already available, for $9.95/mo with this bundle [HD Preferred Plus Triple Play ] (regular rate for X1 HD-DVR with other packages is for $19.95/mo). You only need to pay one time installation fee of $32.00, $9.95/mo for each additional room.

I don't understand the $32 install fee. I should have asked if I could just go to their office, swap my box, come home and plug it in.
post #4824 of 4859 Old 09-16-2013, 09:19 AM

DISH Hopper is still better because you don't really NEED any Joeys - you can use any capable computer instead.
post #4825 of 4859 Old 09-16-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:

DISH Hopper is still better because you don't really NEED any Joeys - you can use any capable computer instead.

You mean if my laptop outputs HDMI, it can serve as my "set-top box" for a bedroom TV? After reading pages of the official X1 thread that crossbeaux linked, I don't think I'll be trying the X1 anytime soon.
post #4826 of 4859 Old 09-16-2013, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I was having an on-line chat with Comcast on Saturday, trying to lower my rate, and asked when I would be able to get a box similar Dish's Hopper w/ Joey. This is what I was told:

X1 HD-DVR is already available, for $9.95/mo with this bundle [HD Preferred Plus Triple Play ] (regular rate for X1 HD-DVR with other packages is for $19.95/mo). You only need to pay one time installation fee of $32.00, $9.95/mo for each additional room.

I don't understand the $32 install fee. I should have asked if I could just go to their office, swap my box, come home and plug it in.
I didn't read that entire thread about the X1, but I did see posts that indicated that a home visit was necessary because sometimes they need to swap out cable, even from the house to the outside line. I know when I switched to the AnyRoom system, they had to make sure there was some sort of closed loop that the main unit and the remote unit were on, so that they could limit the DVR sharing to my house and not have it be available to my neighbors. So I wonder if that's the same sort of thing they're doing with X1, and I wonder if you're already set up with AnyRoom, would they really have to come out? Not that I'm going switch any time soon after reading the comments.
post #4827 of 4859 Old 09-16-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:

You mean if my laptop outputs HDMI, it can serve as my "set-top box" for a bedroom TV? After reading pages of the official X1 thread that crossbeaux linked, I don't think I'll be trying the X1 anytime soon.
No, if you have a router, all your computers can connect to Hopper and you can pretty much do anything including watch any channel or record / playback from dvr.
post #4828 of 4859 Old 09-16-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:

No, if you have a router, all your computers can connect to Hopper and you can pretty much do anything including watch any channel or record / playback from dvr.

Thanks for explaining---but I'm old school and want to watch on a big screen, not a little computer screen.
post #4829 of 4859 Old 09-17-2013, 11:10 AM

New question. I had HBO added on Saturday. I checked On Demand for Game of Thrones, and all episodes of Season 2 were available until December 31. On Sunday I checked again, and all episodes of season 3 had been added, available until January 1, 2014. Last night I checked again, and Season 3 was gone. Anybody know what's up with that?

For that matter, anybody know why Comcast isn't making HBOgo available over the Roku box?
post #4830 of 4859 Old 10-08-2013, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
For those that haven't seen this yet, enclosed with my last bill, "On October 29,2013, Comcast will start encrypting Limited Basic Service on your cable system"

No more clear QAM channels.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page