Portland, OR - Comcast - Page 162 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #4831 of 4859 Old 10-08-2013, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
They are still legally obligated to carry the local stations without encryption though, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4832 of 4859 Old 10-08-2013, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by LARUE View Post

They are still legally obligated to carry the local stations without encryption though, right?
Nope. http://stopthecap.com/2012/10/15/fcc-allows-cable-companies-to-encrypt-entire-tv-lineup-set-top-boxes-for-everyone/ or http://www.fcc.gov/shutdown-page.html (the link to the FCC site is being held hostage by a bunch of pig-headed tea baggers)
post #4833 of 4859 Old 10-09-2013, 07:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
My antenna has been pulling in HD for ten years. I'm glad I didn't get rid of it. Seasons of Survivor take years to make it to DVD and I wouldn't count on them being on Blu-ray any time soon. I've been transcoding them to AVC. I'm able to get three episodes on dual-layer DVD's with no problems.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #4834 of 4859 Old 10-10-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earletp View Post

For those that haven't seen this yet, enclosed with my last bill, "On October 29,2013, Comcast will start encrypting Limited Basic Service on your cable system"

No more clear QAM channels.

Why not check out the DISH network?
I got so sick of Comcast's nonsense that I switched.
Should have done that 20 years ago....
post #4835 of 4859 Old 10-10-2013, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchump View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by earletp View Post

For those that haven't seen this yet, enclosed with my last bill, "On October 29,2013, Comcast will start encrypting Limited Basic Service on your cable system"

No more clear QAM channels.

Why not check out the DISH network?
I got so sick of Comcast's nonsense that I switched.
Should have done that 20 years ago....
How does that solve the problem of having to use a set top box to watch TV?
post #4836 of 4859 Old 10-11-2013, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No, I don't think they are. The FCC law is just that they provide 30 days notice...not that they have to support unencrypted local channels forever. I'm probably going to drop comcast TV now and just go on antenna. I don't understand the need to do this...they don't gain anything from this (who is spending $12 a month on TV and would happily pay more than that to have digital boxes...so there's going to be almost no revenue boost)...but definitely should lose those $12 a month users.

*sigh*. I'm not willing to give up my recording of 4 local HD channels at once...and I'm sure not going to pay whatever it would cost to have HD support and an HD DVR (my current HTPC has 3 TB of storage...who offers that?).
post #4837 of 4859 Old 10-11-2013, 12:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverinero79 View Post

I don't understand the need to do this...they don't gain anything from this (who is spending $12 a month on TV and would happily pay more than that to have digital boxes...so there's going to be almost no revenue boost)...but definitely should lose those $12 a month users.

They're going after the few people left that are still stealing cable. Even though they're encrypting stuff that is completely free in the air, a surprising number of people believe that television transmissions are impossible to receive where they live or that they'd need to buy a $100 antenna to receive them. After all, they don't know anyone who still uses one of those antenna things so they must not work any more.

Before digital, cable theft was a huge problem. There were pictures of apartment buildings that had dozens of illegal splitters and coax going everywhere. Digitizing and encrypting all the cable channels solved that problem, but you can be sure there's some Comcast executive who can't sleep at night because he knows someone somewhere is stealing good reception of local channels.

post #4838 of 4859 Old 10-11-2013, 01:34 PM

Interesting. DRM, DVD copy protection, the entire TSA, this...it's frustrating to be a legal consumer looking for choice and being encumbered due to the need to protect from the bad guys frown.gif

I did find it ironic that Comcast has this on their website (regarding cablecards):

"Why is Comcast offering CableCARDs?
Comcast is committed to supporting CableCARD retail devices, such as CableCARD-ready televisions. By supporting CableCARDs, Comcast is able to provide you with more choice"

Ya, I doubt that it's because they want to give people choices.

I'll run with my Leaf for a week and see if any shows record poorly. I guess I'll drop Comcast regardless, because there aren't really any reasonable packages to get HD local channels where I can record 4 shows simultaneously like I was before. At 12 bucks a month it wasn't worth it to me to check using an antenna. So maybe I should thank Comcast for finally pushing me to cut the cord and stop giving them money.
post #4839 of 4859 Old 10-11-2013, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Odd. I don't feel encumbered. I still get HD through my antenna and record up to four programs simultaneously. DVD copy protection has been dead for over ten years. I regularly buy MP3's and put them on all my devices. I can copy most cable programs off my TiVo and put them on any media device or burn them to DVD or whatever.

Blame the scums that were stealing $80 of analog cable every month.

Quote:
Comcast is committed to supporting CableCARD retail devices, such as CableCARD-ready televisions. By supporting CableCARDs, Comcast is able to provide you with more choice"

Uh, they never said they wanted to give people more choices, only that they're committed to it. And they are. I have a TiVo.

post #4840 of 4859 Old 10-11-2013, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverinero79 View Post

Interesting. DRM, DVD copy protection, the entire TSA, this...it's frustrating to be a legal consumer looking for choice and being encumbered due to the need to protect from the bad guys frown.gif

I did find it ironic that Comcast has this on their website (regarding cablecards):

I'll run with my Leaf for a week and see if any shows record poorly. I guess I'll drop Comcast regardless, because there aren't really any reasonable packages to get HD local channels where I can record 4 shows simultaneously like I was before. At 12 bucks a month it wasn't worth it to me to check using an antenna. So maybe I should thank Comcast for finally pushing me to cut the cord and stop giving them money.
Well, you could sign up for the X1 service. That will let you record 4 shows simultaneously. But if you check out the X1 forum on this site, you'll find that nearly everyone who has that system hates it. It's very buggy, refusing to record programs, deleting recorded programs, leaving the record light on all the time, etc. Maybe in a year or so, when they get the problems ironed out.
post #4841 of 4859 Old 10-11-2013, 02:46 PM

I have been relying on the unencrypted QAM with limited basic package as I have not had any luck with an over the air antenna. Any word on whether the Portland area will have access to HD-DTA's? I think I read somewhere that these do not pass 5.1 audio, anyone have more info on this? Also hope Comcast offers these free for 2 years as they did the SD DTA's.
post #4842 of 4859 Old 10-11-2013, 04:16 PM

"I would like an HD device instead of an SD device, is this possible?
An HD digital adapter is available upon request with this offer regardless of your service level."

I don't know if that means for free or if they'll make you pay the ~$10 a month "HD Technology Fee"
post #4843 of 4859 Old 10-11-2013, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Here's a scan of the actual notice I received.

post #4844 of 4859 Old 10-30-2013, 07:09 PM

My clear qam just went away, leaving my windows 7 media center HTPC useless for now.
post #4845 of 4859 Old 10-30-2013, 07:47 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon33 View Post

I have been relying on the unencrypted QAM with limited basic package as I have not had any luck with an over the air antenna. Any word on whether the Portland area will have access to HD-DTA's? I think I read somewhere that these do not pass 5.1 audio, anyone have more info on this? Also hope Comcast offers these free for 2 years as they did the SD DTA's.

In my upstairs bedroom in Tigard, facing east, good line of sight to the towers up there at Skyline & Barnes Road, the only thing I was pulling in with a rabbit ears was KGW. I got one of these from Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008KVUAGU/ref=pe_385040_30332200_pe_309540_26725410_item

2 weeks ago and now I'm getting everything crystal clear. For less than $10 bucks, you might want to think about giving it a try. I'm surprised by how well it works. Just a note, though, it's uglier than the picture, it has more writing on it.
post #4846 of 4859 Old 10-30-2013, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Been using the HD HomeRun Prime for close to two years now with media center on Comcast and it give me 3 networked tuners and I can record 3 at once in full HD etc.
Only channels so far that are copy once have been the pay movie channels, everything else I do what I want with using VideoRedo H264 and a big drive for holding my edited captures. Was pretty pissed when they started the encryption crap, has nothing to do with cable theft and everything to do with getting the cheapskates like me to have to rent a box and hopefully you'll buy pay per view and things.
If your otherwise happy with them and can afford it get one of the cable card tuner solutions and be back pretty much where you were before they got greedy.
I have many cool DVD recorders with hard drives, and a Nice LG 4200 clear qam HD tuner that are now useless unless I want to hook up a antennae. The recorders couldn't do HD so having 3 HD tuners now is awesome.
Some of the FIOS providers use QAM and cable card too so if you have them check to see what system they use and one of these might work too.
Have a couple of media players out front and everything networked together so I can watch everything on the big system in the living area.
post #4847 of 4859 Old 11-06-2013, 09:50 PM

Has anybody gotten the new Technicolor "wireless gateway" from Xfinity yet and given it a try? I got a letter 6 weeks ago that said to take advantage of new higher speeds avbl in my area I need a new modem. I thought that was all I would get, but this thing means my existing router will be gonzo, it looks like. Googling it seems like people are having lots of issues, like not being to connect to their VPN at work, losing service, and so on and so on. I'm thinking maybe if it ain't broke (the ancient Motorola cable modem I have) don't fix it. Plus, I can just guess that in a year or so Comcast will jack up the rental fee for it, similar to the way they started charging for the "free" DTA boxes they sent us. About the only way I would want this thing, I think, is if it's a much better wireless point than the Buffalo I'm using now. Comments?
post #4848 of 4859 Old 11-07-2013, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goes to 11 View Post

Has anybody gotten the new Technicolor "wireless gateway" from Xfinity yet and given it a try? I got a letter 6 weeks ago that said to take advantage of new higher speeds avbl in my area I need a new modem. I thought that was all I would get, but this thing means my existing router will be gonzo, it looks like. Googling it seems like people are having lots of issues, like not being to connect to their VPN at work, losing service, and so on and so on. I'm thinking maybe if it ain't broke (the ancient Motorola cable modem I have) don't fix it. Plus, I can just guess that in a year or so Comcast will jack up the rental fee for it, similar to the way they started charging for the "free" DTA boxes they sent us. About the only way I would want this thing, I think, is if it's a much better wireless point than the Buffalo I'm using now. Comments?
I got the wireless gateway a while ago. But just days before I received it, I purchased a new fancy Netgear wireless router that I wanted to keep using. So I called Comcast tech support and they turned off the wireless capability of the gateway (they had to do that from their end). So I use the gateway just like I did my old cable modem -- cable into the gateway, lan out to my Netgear router.

BTW, the new gateway I'm using also supports the phone service, which I have through Comcast too. The downside is that it doesn't contain a backup battery, like my old one did.

I don't know about any problems with the new gateway, and I don't use VPN. I haven't had any problems with it, and it is somewhat faster, but not orders of magnitude in what I do, which doesn't involve a lot of big downloads.
post #4849 of 4859 Old 11-07-2013, 07:48 AM

Thanks, Crossbeaux. I have phone, too, and yeah, the lack of a back-up battery is another issue I didn't mention. Without it, no electricity, no phone for old-school folks like me who still want a land-line. Apparently buying a battery from Comcast is $35 and they're hard to find.

Elsewhere around the country people have reported trouble in getting the Comcast techs to turn off the wireless, maybe we're OK here in Portland.

Btw, last time one of my younger friends was lecturing me to lose the land-line it sounded, as always, something like this: (her) What is ng th you, you ol fog . You don d a lan n. (me) What? You're breaking up.

That is, when she wasn't trying to talk at the same time as me. Maybe that's why texting is the preferred means of communicating now..
post #4850 of 4859 Old 01-20-2014, 05:01 PM

I was reading this blog: http://blog.trebacz.com/2013/09/comcast-xfinity-hd-udta-pace-dc60xu.html
where he exchanged his SD DTA box to the HD version without increase in cost.

Anyone in the Portland area has done this successfully? I thought the HD box cost more $$ than the SD version. I have 2 of the free SD DTA that I wouldn't mind swapping to the HD version if it cost the same.
post #4851 of 4859 Old 01-21-2014, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk11 View Post

I was reading this blog: http://blog.trebacz.com/2013/09/comcast-xfinity-hd-udta-pace-dc60xu.html
where he exchanged his SD DTA box to the HD version without increase in cost.

Anyone in the Portland area has done this successfully? I thought the HD box cost more $$ than the SD version. I have 2 of the free SD DTA that I wouldn't mind swapping to the HD version if it cost the same.
They're still not charging you for those DTAs? I gave mine back months ago because they started charging me for them. Look on your bill to make sure you're not already paying too.
post #4852 of 4859 Old 01-21-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbeaux View Post

They're still not charging you for those DTAs? I gave mine back months ago because they started charging me for them. Look on your bill to make sure you're not already paying too.

My situation is a bit unique - I get Comcast through my complex (bulk account), so I don't personally see any bills. I even got a cable card and they didn't charge me anything. I was ready to pay a few bucks a month for it even...

I'm debating whether I should show up to exchange my boxes and see what happen but would be bad if they confiscate it since it's not free anymore. eek.gif

Update:
I was able to upgrade my SD DTA to HD ones (HD-DTA100u). At first they were going to charge me $10 for first box (2nd is free) because I have a Digital Starter package. But when I told them I only need the network channels on these boxes since these aren't use for my main TV viewing, he gave them to me for free.
post #4853 of 4859 Old 04-17-2014, 02:24 PM

For about the last 2 weeks, I'm having problems with On Demand. Only certain networks, most notably NBC and FX. Lots of pixelization, and sometimes the selected show doesn't even start, I get an error message. Everything else is fine. Anybody else noticing this?
post #4854 of 4859 Old 06-24-2014, 11:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 105
When examining my monthly bill, I saw this notice:

Quote:
Originally Posted by June 19 2014 statement
Effective 7/15/14, the following channels will change the programming feed from the East coast to the West coast: A&E HD (ch. 752), HGTV HD (ch. 767), Food HD (ch.766), AMC HD (ch. 771), Animal Planet HD (ch. 805), History HD (ch. 750), BET HD (ch. 756), CMT HD (ch. 761), FXX HD (ch. 800) and FXX (ch. 401). Please note this change will affect DVR recordings and parental control settings. Please make sure you reset your DVR recordings for any of the impacted channels above.
I didn't even realize Bloomberg (now 743) and Animal Planet HD (was 743, now 805) had moved.

The above means I will get more collisions on shows I want to record and will have to search for repeats. Fortunately, History and Syfy tend to have a lot of repeats.

These channel numbers are for the Salem area; Portland numbers might differ. I suspect the feeds for Portland might also change at the same time. (It would be nice if someone in Portland would check page 2 of their bill and confirm or deny. Thanks!)

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #4855 of 4859 Old 06-28-2014, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Those channels got moved here in Portland too. Screwed up my HD HomeRun Prime as I had to manually tell WMC to scan the schedules to get the updated channels loaded in. I was trying to catch the Portland My Cat From Hell episode and it was still listed as 743.
Would have been great to record and hour of business news or a infomercial.
I also have a Samsung cablebox/media player and it's built in guide still lists channels that are now gone and no clue when Samsung will bother to update whatever guide they use but at least these affected channels are right.
olyteddy likes this.
post #4856 of 4859 Old 07-08-2014, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 quoting June 2014 bill View Post
Effective 7/15/14, the following channels will change the programming feed from the East coast to the West coast: A&E HD (ch. 752), HGTV HD (ch. 767), Food HD (ch.766), AMC HD (ch. 771), Animal Planet HD (ch. 805), History HD (ch. 750), BET HD (ch. 756), CMT HD (ch. 761), FXX HD (ch. 800) and FXX (ch. 401). Please note this change will affect DVR recordings and parental control settings. Please make sure you reset your DVR recordings for any of the impacted channels above.
The rented-from-Comcast HD DVR's program guide still shows Pawn Stars (History HD) on at 6 & 6:30pm on July 17, instead of the Pacific Feed times of 9 & 9:30pm.

I'll have to keep an eye on that as that day grows near. I just created a Google Calendar event on July 16 to check it and I am moving one of the recordings so I have one of the two tuners available for 9pm.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #4857 of 4859 Old 07-13-2014, 04:56 PM

As an update -

The leaf worked pretty well, but it was hard to get it just right. I found the antenna at costco worked much better (winegard). I'm near C Pass and the 26 and everything comes in perfectly. No more antenna fiddling. No more wondering how Comcast is going to bounce the channels around. All done!

So if you want to get off the Comcast train, cutting the cord here in Portland is very viable. My HTPC and wallet are very happy.

I do still enjoy Comcast for Internet...but need to call and pretend to leave every 2 years to get the low rate. *sigh*.
post #4858 of 4859 Old 07-13-2014, 07:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverinero79 View Post
As an update -
No more wondering how Comcast is going to bounce the channels around. All done!
I thought Comcast encrypted the local channels some time ago.

post #4859 of 4859 Old 07-14-2014, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Remember: tomorrow (July 15, 2014) several HD channels are changing from Eastern feed to Pacific feed. According to the email I received, tomorrow (but not before tomorrow), the programmed schedule and parental controls for the affected channels will have to be checked.

You can try this link and you won't need the rest of this post if the link works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial material from Comcast page linked above
What You Need to Do

If your DVR recordings and/or Parental Controls are set by channel, you will need to reset your DVR recordings by signing in to DVR Manager and resetting your Parental Controls. This will help ensure that you don’t miss any of your favorite programming and/or that select programming is locked at the appropriate time.

Pacific Northwest: Portland & Eugene, Oregon; Seattle & Spokane, Washington

• A&E
  • AMC
  • Animal Planet
  • BET
  • CMT
  • Food Network
  • FXX (SD and HD channels)
  • HGTV
  • History

To find what the channel numbers are where you live, visit the Comcast Channel Lineup tool.
And you would have thought they could have handled this as gracefully as they handle Daylight/Standard transitions. I guess not.

My very humble setup:
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page