post #4861 of 4865 Old 10-30-2014, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goes to 11 View Post
Last week my DVR (DCX3400) started turning itself off in the middle of the night -- pretty annoying if you have a Harmony remote programmed for always on. I found this thread

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Xfinity...372013#M111393

in which a purported Comcast employee says this is a new feature via firmware update. I couldn't figure out how to disable it, so I called for tech support. The phone rep treated me like an idiot, insisting -- even though I told him about the Comcast forum and other websites -- that this box has no such feature. He knows because he receives specialized training all the time, and the employee who posted in the forum is just wrong.

Well, guess what. All you have to do is press menu, and go to set up, and you'll see the power save option and can toggle it off. My mistake was going into the more technical set-up menu you access with the box off.

Btw, my understanding is that the box is never truly off and any power saved is negligible, but I could be wrong about that.
Yes, there are several new "features." I couldn't figure out why my units were off either, but I turned them back on all the time. Also on the Setup menu, you can turn closed captioning on and off. And you'll also notice that while watching a recorded program, if you press the Play button, it not only brings up the status bar, displaying where in the program you are, but it also pauses the recording. I don't know who thought this was a feature anyone wanted, but it's there now. Also, on one of my units, not the DVR, the default for viewing Standard Def channels was reset to "stretch" mode, which you can only change by turning off the unit and pressing the menu button.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4862 of 4865 Old 10-30-2014, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goes to 11 View Post
Last week my DVR (DCX3400) started turning itself off in the middle of the night -- pretty annoying if you have a Harmony remote programmed for always on.
Yep, surprised me, too. I found the new Power Saving setting deep in the normal DVR Setup menu tree and turned that puppy off! I thought the DVR had been borked by an update, but nope, it's fine.

My RPTV-based "Narnia Theater"
post #4863 of 4865 Old 10-31-2014, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Perhaps some good has come out of this (besides Comcast eating crow when they called back to tell me how wrong their rep was). I discovered--in the setup menu you access by hitting menu within 2 seconds of powering off--that the default is for the box to pass everything as 1080i, but you can change it to native, and choose the resolutions your display can handle. Don't know if this will make a difference (or whether there is any 1080p source material to pass) but it will be fun to experiment.

You can get a manual from Comcast's site, but I grabbed a pdf of it from here without having to log in: http://www.secable.com/S_pdf/dcx3400.pdf

The info is on page 33.
post #4864 of 4865 Old 10-31-2014, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks for that info. I figured there was a way to force the box to play the native format just never researched it and it drove me crazy to have to choose one HD format for everything
All my other equipment has a native setting or just spits out exactly what comes in and that's the way I like it.
post #4865 of 4865 Old 10-31-2014, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Wink

Thank you for taking the time to post about this.
I have notice my DVR has been off in the morning lately, you've saved me the time solving the mystery.
Thanks again,
Earl
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page