Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #511 of 4865 Old 11-16-2004, 11:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone else been having issues with Comcast quality on channel 4 (KATU)? That channel is suddenly snowy in my neighborhood. Couple neighbors also noticed it; in fact one of them told me about it. It started about a week ago.

Of course, Comcast doesn't get it; they insist it's a problem at each individual house - all at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 4865 Old 11-17-2004, 12:01 AM

My remote does not have a skip or swap button. It does have a swap button under PIP.

From the investor relations page: DVR records over 30 hours, 7 hours in HD.

Here's what I've got recorded thus far:

85% FULL

Survivor, CBS, 60 min. SD
Beavers, InHD, 45 min. HD
Graffiti Bridge, InHD 105 min. HD
Laura McKenzie's Traveler, InHD 30 min. HD
Traveler (London), Discovery Channel 707, 120 min. HD
Oregon/UCLA game, recorded on Ch. 704, 240 min. SD
American Chopper, recorded on Ch. 707, 60 min. HD
MTV, recorded on Ch. 63, 30 min. SD
MTV, recorded on Ch. 63 30 min. SD
Amazing Race, CBS, 120 min. SD

As for the remote...I haven't even used the supplied remote. I'm using my Sony RM-AV3000.
I haven't tried to program a 30 sec. skip or tuner swap.

The buttons on the remote Comcast gave me are:

Power
AUX, VCR, CBL, TV
Guide, Menu, Info
Page +, Page -, Mute, A, B, C, Exit, Help, Last
OK button surrounded by Arrow Up, Arrow Down, Arrow Left, Arrow Right
VOL +, VOL -, VOD, PPV, FAV, CH +, CH -
Rewind, Play, Fast Forward, Stop, Pause, Record
Replay, List, Live TV
Day -, Day +
1, 2, 3
4, 5, 6
7, 8, 9
Aspect, 0, Enter (musical note icon on this button)
These are all PIP buttons:
On/Off, Swap, Move, CH +, CH -
Lock, Input
post #513 of 4865 Old 11-17-2004, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

markemery-

Thanks again for the info. Please try to program the skip button.

The 30 second skip is more important to me than the "channel up - channel down" button. Being able to chop through commercials like using a "replay" unit makes the 6412 infinitely more valuable than any MOXI unit.
No fancy programming or networking features can outweigh convenient playback IMO.

I have a 3410a and believe me playback and pushing through the commercials is a real pain. I also have a replay. Click, click, click, click, and your back to the show.
post #514 of 4865 Old 11-17-2004, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm with you lewlew,
Without the 30 sec skip i'm not sure I would want the DTR. I got spoiled with my ReplayTV and can't go back to fast forwarding through commercials...

Technoholic
post #515 of 4865 Old 11-17-2004, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

OK Portland Comcast users help me out here. What is the deal on the HD PVR cable box that Comcast is advertising? Anybody know which unit they will be going with? I have heard it will be a 2 tuner unit likely either Motorola or Digio??

And what is this about Discovery HD not coming with the HD Comcast service?? I thought that this was something Comcast was bragging about providing!

M
post #516 of 4865 Old 11-17-2004, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by HTBruceM
Anyone else been having issues with Comcast quality on channel 4 (KATU)? That channel is suddenly snowy in my neighborhood. Couple neighbors also noticed it; in fact one of them told me about it. It started about a week ago.

Of course, Comcast doesn't get it; they insist it's a problem at each individual house - all at the same time.

Yes I have seen the snow on channel 4 ! And occasionally on cahnnel 10 (PBS) . I just got a Tivo and thought maybe it was my connections but then again why only or mainly channel 4. So what do we do??

M
post #517 of 4865 Old 11-17-2004, 10:52 AM

Comcast has several levels of services. Depending on the level of service you subscribe to determines what you get in HD.
Limited Basic gives you the following analog stations (for $8/month):
WB (3), ABC (4), PAX (5), CBS (6), Discovery (7), NBC (8), WGN (9), PBS (10), FOX (12), UPN (13), C-SPAN, C-SPAN2, UNIVISION and a few other public access broadcasts.

By adding the HD cable box (for $6.75/month) you get the following HD broadcasts:
WB (703), ABC (704), NBC (708), PBS (710) and FOX (712).

You don't get the Discovery Theater HD (707) unless you subscribe to a digital package that includes all the discovery channels. The same goes for ESPN (only if you subscribe to a digital package that includes ESPN). Movies work the same way. INHD and INHD2 is included with any digital package.

I have the Limited basic service $8/month plus the HD box rental $6.75/month. I get a $10/month credit on my Comcast internet service because I subscribe to the cable TV service so my net cost is only $4.75/month for the local channels and the hand full of local broadcast in HD (not a bad deal but would have been nice to include the same channels that are included with the limited basic analog service).

Technoholic
post #518 of 4865 Old 11-17-2004, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Originally posted by glz
Comcast has several levels of services. Depending on the level of service you subscribe to determines what you get in HD.
Limited Basic gives you the following analog stations (for $8):
WB, ABC, PAX, CBS, Discovery, NBC, WGN, PBS, FOX, UPN C-SPAN, C-SPAN2, UNIVISION and a few other public access broadcasts.
By adding the HD cable box (for $5.75) you get the following HD broadcasts:
WB, ABC, NBC, PBS and FOX

You don't get the DiscoveryHD unless you subscribe to a digital package that includes all the discovery channels. The same goes for ESPN (only if you subscribe to a digital package that includes ESPN). Movies work the same way. INHD and INHD2 is included with any digital package.

I have the Limited basic service $8/month plus the HD box rental $6.75/month. I get a $10 credit on my Comcast internet service because I subscribe to the cable TV service so my net cost is only $4.75 for the local channels and hand full of local broadcast in HD (not a bad deal but would have been nice to include the same channels that are included with the analog service).

I think some of this depends on where you live in the PDX metro area. My HD cable box costs me an extra $5/mo. beyond the cost of programming. I subscribe to the Digital Classic pkg. which includes Discovery Health but none of the other Discovery offerings (except the base Discovery channel included in Basic pkg.) and I DO get Discovery Theater HD in my hi def lineup. Discovery HD is NOT included in the lineup on the printed Tualatin Valley channel guide (4/1/04) I have but IS a channel I get.

Bob
post #519 of 4865 Old 11-17-2004, 11:39 AM

The HD box is $5 if you subscribe to a digital package, $6.75 if you don't.

My bad on the Discovery Theater HD. You WILL receive it IF you subscribe to a digital package that includes a digital Discovery channel (not necessary all Discovery channels). You won't get Discovery Theater HD without a digital package.

Technoholic
post #520 of 4865 Old 11-17-2004, 12:32 PM

I have a poor signal on Channel 4 also, a Comcast service person is coming out to fix it. Sounds like it is something they have seen before. I will see if they fix if by working at just my house. I suppose it is possible that there is a system wide problem that they have to fix as it terminates at the house.
post #521 of 4865 Old 11-17-2004, 01:05 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by HTBruceM

Me, too! Yes, it started about a week ago. I'm in the South Beaverton area (125th & Brockman).

But what's weird about it is that it's snowy only on 4 from the comcast set-top box. If I access channel 4 directly from the cable input (I have a splitter) it's fine.

I wonder if it is related to channel 4 broadcast now being PAX?

My RPTV-based "Narnia Theater"
post #522 of 4865 Old 11-17-2004, 01:28 PM

Funny, it is fuzzy on all my TV's, set-top box or not. The Comcast guy just called, he will be at my place at 4pm. I will post tomorrow what he does/says about the issue. I am in Beaverton / near Sunset Hi-school.
post #523 of 4865 Old 11-17-2004, 01:36 PM

I noticed this problem a few weeks ago and finally called Comcast last week.

They came out to fix the problem and told me that the issue started with PAX broadcasting their HD signal in VHF, and that many coaxial to coaxial connnectors are picking up the frequency and interfering with channel 4 (ABC). They changed out several of my coaxial to coaxial connectors and my reception is almost back to the way it was before this problem.

I do have one older Sony TV that is still somewhat snowy with ABC even when the connector was changed. The Comcast technician showed me that if I used the TV tuner from my VCR that I get better reception on channel 4 than using the tuner on the TV itself. He said that it is because the TV tuner is not properly shielded, and my VCR has a better tuner. He claims there are people out there with brand new TVs that have this problem.

DC
post #524 of 4865 Old 11-17-2004, 01:39 PM

Strange, I've had Comcast HD at 2 locations is the last week (first location just south of Baseline and west of 185th, the second at my new place in Tigard, around the Murray Hill area). Channel 4 has been working fine from both the Comcast box and without the box at both locations.
post #525 of 4865 Old 11-17-2004, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

If it's really over-the-air interference from PAX broadcasting their HD signal on a VHF frequency, then the problem could come from anywhere - including Comcast's lines and your house wiring. Maybe both. Anyone with a bad ground ANYWHERE on the line could be affected. If it's coming in from a bad ground somewhere on Comcast's line, then everyone downstream will get it from that source PLUS any additional sources of ingress in their house.

The rub is going to be convincing Comcast of their part of the problem, if indeed the majority of the interference is being injected on their lines.
post #526 of 4865 Old 11-17-2004, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by digitcallous
I noticed this problem a few weeks ago and finally called Comcast last week.

They came out to fix the problem and told me that the issue started with PAX broadcasting their HD signal in VHF, and that many coaxial to coaxial connnectors are picking up the frequency and interfering with channel 4 (ABC). They changed out several of my coaxial to coaxial connectors and my reception is almost back to the way it was before this problem.

I do have one older Sony TV that is still somewhat snowy with ABC even when the connector was changed. The Comcast technician showed me that if I used the TV tuner from my VCR that I get better reception on channel 4 than using the tuner on the TV itself. He said that it is because the TV tuner is not properly shielded, and my VCR has a better tuner. He claims there are people out there with brand new TVs that have this problem.

DC

D you said they changed out your coaxial to coaxial connectors... You mean they hooked you using a different connection eg video cables or gave you new coaxial cables?? sorry for the dumb ?

M
post #527 of 4865 Old 11-17-2004, 11:03 PM

Quote:

D you said they changed out your coaxial to coaxial connectors... You mean they hooked you using a different connection eg video cables or gave you new coaxial cables?? sorry for the dumb ?

In most cases they just used my existing cables and changed out the connectors. In one case they replaced my cable which is about 3' long. Only coax cable connector seemed to be the problem as far as their explanation was to me.

DC
post #528 of 4865 Old 11-17-2004, 11:06 PM
Advanced Member

DC do you use the thin flexible kind of coax or the stiff thicker (standard) type?

M
post #529 of 4865 Old 11-18-2004, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by markemery
My remote does not have a skip or swap button. It does have a swap button under PIP.

Though it is doubtful, could you check to see if that "Swap" button allows you to swap between tuners?

I'd ask you to try reprogramming the remote as detailed in this post, but your remote seems to be missing a "Setup" button (not to mention being completely different).

Quote:

Originally posted by mismatched
OK Portland Comcast users help me out here. What is the deal on the HD PVR cable box that Comcast is advertising? Anybody know which unit they will be going with? I have heard it will be a 2 tuner unit likely either Motorola or Digio??

We were supposed to get Moxi's before the end of the year, but they were having software problems with it (supposedly related to OnDemand services) and have pushed it back a few months, so we'll be getting 6412's w/iGuide in the mean time.
post #530 of 4865 Old 11-18-2004, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

A simple fix for comcast's problem with 4 (KATU).

Re-assign PAX to channel 4 and KATU to channel 5.

Then PAX could mess itself up.
post #531 of 4865 Old 11-18-2004, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Moorebid

We were supposed to get Moxi's before the end of the year, but they were having software problems with it (supposedly related to OnDemand services) and have pushed it back a few months, so we'll be getting 6412's w/iGuide in the mean time. [/b]

So when will these motorola sets be available?? Soon? And then we will have "option" to swap for the Moxi? Which is a better unit in your opinion??

thanks again

M
post #532 of 4865 Old 11-18-2004, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I stopped by the Comcast on NE Sandy this morning to ask about availability and to get "put on the list" for a DVR. The rep I spoke with told me that they are still planning on a rollout in early December (couldn't pin her down any further). However, she did tell me that I did NOT need to schedule a service call and I could come to the office to pick up the unit. I know this conflicts with an earlier poster who talked to the Nimbus center, but perhaps west-side and east-side work differently???

The rep told me she would put me on the local list and they would call when units were available. However, this amounted to writing my name on a piece of paper and slipping it under her keyboard, always a bad sign in my opinion. But she did tell me to keep checking the cable box for messages (click menu button/ choose main menu/ choose messages) because they would send a message to everyone when the units are ready to deploy.

Regarding moxi swapping, I didn't ask today. As some of us have reported earlier in this thread, Comcast has said that you can exchange for the moxi. I'm not an expert on the units, but I believe the moxi has more "tivo-like" features than the 6412.
post #533 of 4865 Old 11-18-2004, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by crossbeaux

Regarding moxi swapping, I didn't ask today. As some of us have reported earlier in this thread, Comcast has said that you can exchange for the moxi. I'm not an expert on the units, but I believe the moxi has more "tivo-like" features than the 6412.

I hope the swap is easy (too bad is will even be necessary!) because the one review I read on the Motorola 6408 was NOT very complimentary in terms of having sufficient user friendly (Tivo like) features.

M
post #534 of 4865 Old 11-18-2004, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I suspect that even if the process of swapping units is easy, there will still be some discomfort, especially if your old unit is still 75% full of shows you'd like to watch when the moxis become available.
post #535 of 4865 Old 11-18-2004, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by glz
Limited Basic gives you the following analog stations (for $8/month):
WB (3), ABC (4), PAX (5), CBS (6), Discovery (7), NBC (8), WGN (9), PBS (10), FOX (12), UPN (13), C-SPAN, C-SPAN2, UNIVISION and a few other public access broadcasts.

By adding the HD cable box (for $6.75/month) you get the following HD broadcasts:
WB (703), ABC (704), NBC (708), PBS (710) and FOX (712).

You don't get the Discovery Theater HD (707) unless you subscribe to a digital package that includes all the discovery channels. The same goes for ESPN (only if you subscribe to a digital package that includes ESPN). Movies work the same way. INHD and INHD2 is included with any digital package.

I have the Limited basic service $8/month plus the HD box rental $6.75/month. I get a $10/month credit on my Comcast internet service because I subscribe to the cable TV service so my net cost is only $4.75/month for the local channels and the hand full of local broadcast in HD (not a bad deal but would have been nice to include the same channels that are included with the limited basic analog service).

Quote:

Originally posted by ridgefamus
I think some of this depends on where you live in the PDX metro area. My HD cable box costs me an extra $5/mo. beyond the cost of programming. I subscribe to the Digital Classic pkg. which includes Discovery Health but none of the other Discovery offerings (except the base Discovery channel included in Basic pkg.) and I DO get Discovery Theater HD in my hi def lineup. Discovery HD is NOT included in the lineup on the printed Tualatin Valley channel guide (4/1/04) I have but IS a channel I get.

Bob

I agree with ridgefamus, it does depend on where you live. In SE Portland Limited basic runs $11.87 plus fees and taxes, not the $8.00 you quoted. They do charge the $10.00 penalty fee for not having cable TV with your HSI though.
Since I don't have a cable box it will be interesting to see what hoops they want me to jump through to get the HD-DVR when it comes out.

Earl
post #536 of 4865 Old 11-18-2004, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Living in the Tualatin Valley "district", for lack of a better term, of Comcast, gets you a cheaper Basic package of programs. I had that $8/mo. pkg for many years until I upgraded to the Digital Classic. Multnomah County is on a whole different rate schedule and has something to do with utility districts which oversee a particular geography. You have to put in your zip code on the Comcast site to see "what's in my area" and get that pricing schedule, which is downloadable in PDF.

Bob
post #537 of 4865 Old 11-19-2004, 03:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by lewlew
A simple fix for comcast's problem with 4 (KATU).

Re-assign PAX to channel 4 and KATU to channel 5.

Then PAX could mess itself up.

'Cept that KWBP is now broadcasting analog on channel 5, though they were broadcasting on 4 before KPXG took over; if it wasn't causing any problems before, I don't see why it would now.

Quote:

Originally posted by mismatched
So when will these motorola sets be available?? Soon? And then we will have "option" to swap for the Moxi? Which is a better unit in your opinion?

First of all, both boxes are manufactured by Motorola, they're just different models with different software. The DCT6412 (running Gemstar's iGuide) is looking like the beginning of December for limited availability. The BMC9000-series (which runs the Moxi software from Digeo) won't be available for some time after that, and is still unclear whether it'll be the BMC9012 or BMC9022D (the latter possessing a DVD player). Which is better is a matter of personal preference. The new iGuide software is much better than that which preceded it, and does help to close the gap, functionality-wise. Moxi, however, is the slicker of the two. The 6412 has firewire out, Moxi's do not. The 6412 has a 120 gig hard drive, the Moxi's still appear to have an 80 gigger, though there's nothing restricting them from putting in bigger drives (except cost). And no, there should be no problem swapping out boxes if one so chooses, just like any other receiver. For that matter, you could probably choose to keep both, if you so choose.

Quote:

I hope the swap is easy (too bad is will even be necessary!) because the one review I read on the Motorola 6408 was NOT very complimentary in terms of having sufficient user friendly (Tivo like) features.

Don't confuse the DCT6412 with the DCT6208, which is a single-tuner piece of crap running old software that we never saw in the Northwest. The 6412 is a marked improvement.

Quote:

Originally posted by crossbeaux
I suspect that even if the process of swapping units is easy, there will still be some discomfort, especially if your old unit is still 75% full of shows you'd like to watch when the moxis become available.

That would be another reason to keep both, at least for a time, so you can get caught up on your 6412 while the Moxi takes care of the rest though with the size of the drives, you'll likely not have much up on which to catch, nor much room to store more (assuming you're recording HD).
post #538 of 4865 Old 11-19-2004, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Moorebid,

I suppose I overlooked the simplest KATU solution - Watch it in HD
post #539 of 4865 Old 11-19-2004, 02:02 PM

Quote:

The 6412 has firewire out, Moxi's do not.

The Moto page says the Moxi boxes may use their USB 2.0 ports for adding hard drives. This should be functionally equivalent to a firewire drive, but is probably dependent on Comcast enabling the option.

Quote:

That would be another reason to keep both, at least for a time, so you can get caught up on your 6412 while the Moxi takes care of the rest though with the size of the drives, you'll likely not have much up on which to catch, nor much room to store more (assuming you're recording HD).

Haha, this is a real problem. I want to replace my ReplayTV's ball-bearing whine, skipping drive (installed by me) with a new, bigger one. But I can't get caught up...
post #540 of 4865 Old 11-19-2004, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Moorebid,

I wonder if the 6412 remote without a setup button is our local comcast's answer to no more 30 second skip?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page