1Likes

post #571 of 4859 Old 12-01-2004, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by mismatched
The HD DVR from Comcast is now available?? Since when?? I was supposed to be emailed when they were becoming available!!

Since today. They probably would have emailed you before long but I'm sure it's a madhouse on the first few days of a new roll out.

When that's going on, in my experience it always pays to roll up to them and squeak.

Probably they'd have called me in the next couple of weeks too but I don't have the stamina of my 22-year-old--I probably couldn't have handled jumping up and down in anticipation for that long. As it is, I'm containing myself until Monday by shopping for a DVI/HDMI cable and a signal splitter. I'm hoping the DVI interface on the 6214 is enabled and that I have enough signal to feed both the 6412 and my cablecard TV. The Comcast tech support guys said they didn't see why I couldn't set it up that way--watch one show while recording two others.

Since this thread put me onto the 12/1 date (when I called earlier they just said "soon"), I figured I owed it to you all to share the news.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 4859 Old 12-01-2004, 02:53 PM

So I'm assuming the 6214 has dual tuners, correct?
post #573 of 4859 Old 12-01-2004, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Doretta said : "I'm hoping the DVI interface on the 6214 is enabled ..."

Is there any doubt that it will be?? if not you can buy my DVI cable!!

for DVI and other cables check out bluejeanscables: http://bluejeanscable.com/store/dvi/index.htm

enjoy
post #574 of 4859 Old 12-01-2004, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by EchoOfGecko
So I'm assuming the 6214 has dual tuners, correct?

yes

http://broadband.motorola.com/dvr/dct6412.asp
post #575 of 4859 Old 12-01-2004, 03:13 PM

Thanks for the heads-up. It looks like we're getting Friday here in Beaverton as I have Fri 8-10.
post #576 of 4859 Old 12-01-2004, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Here's another heads-up for the gotta-have-everything-but-still-cost-conscious user:

Apparantly, they have a Platinum Plus package (which is not on any of their pamphlets) that includes everything in the Platinum package, the Digital Xtra channels, the Digital Sports package (which includes NBA League Pass), PLUS (this was the kicker for me) a second digital box (standard def, of course), all for $99.99/mo, just $5 more than the current Platinum package, $2 after the rate hike next month oh, and did I mention, no rate hike for this package? SCORE!

Just completely ignoring the additional programming, if you need 2 DVR's (like me), you're saving $8/mo after January 1st ($10 for the first DVR, $20 for the second without this package, vs $10 for the second with). This was a no-brainer for me.

I'm scheduled for Monday 2-4pm but damn, if only I'd checked this thread earlier, I could've had it on Friday. *seethes with envy*
post #577 of 4859 Old 12-01-2004, 06:35 PM

Woohoo! (Homer Simpson voice)

Just scheduled myself for the 10-12 block on Friday morning. Thanks Doretta for the heads-up!

Guess that CSR at the Nimbus office was being coy when I asked her the same question yesterday
post #578 of 4859 Old 12-01-2004, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

so will these 6412 units be able to use DVI and will Comcast "support" that connection mode?

anyone know for sure??

M
post #579 of 4859 Old 12-01-2004, 11:34 PM

Yes, the DVI connection works. That's how mine is connected. In fact, I was able to use DVI with the old 6200. I was here when the tech installed my 6412 and it was as simple as unplugging the old HD box (6200) and plugging in the new one. He then called the home office and that was it. The home office did something to initialize or configure the DVR, but that was it. Not sure why we can't do this ourselves.

Here's a problem I had the other night. As I understand it, you are supposed to be able to record two shows at once. I had two programs both scheduled to start at 10pm. The one that lasted from 10pm - 11pm recorded fine. The one that was to record from 10pm - 10:30pm did not. When I try to play the saved recording, it does not even start playing. All I get is the "Do you want to delete this recording" message and it shows the program length of 17 minutes.

An hour of HD generally takes up 8% of total capacity, so what is that a 120GB drive?

Overall, I am very pleased with this DVR. If we could only get CBS in HD...
post #580 of 4859 Old 12-02-2004, 12:20 AM

Quote:

Doretta said : "I'm hoping the DVI interface on the 6214 is enabled ..."

Is there any doubt that it will be?? if not you can buy my DVI cable!!

Now why would I want your DVI cable if it wasn't? Besides, I need an HDMI to DVI cable. But I guess it doesn't matter--since the word is the interface is live you'll want to keep yours anyhow.

It seems they've rolled out similar devices elsewhere in the past that had DVI ports that were disabled. Something about firmware bugs, I seem to recall. I was looking at the 6412 manual today and one of the troubleshooting entries for no video says that the DVI output may not yet be enabled and to connect via the component outputs. Sounds like they've put that problem behind them though.

Fortunately, the price of HDMI/DVI cables has been dropping like a rock lately.
post #581 of 4859 Old 12-02-2004, 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by markemery
An hour of HD generally takes up 8% of total capacity, so what is that a 120GB drive?

Yes, it's a 120G drive. Apparently they are using the last two digits of the DVR model number for the drive size. The 6208 is an 80G drive, the 6412 is 120G and the 6416 a 160G.

Since my TV has an OTA tuner as well as a cable tuner, I hooked up a $25 Silver Sensor and can watch CBS HD with one click of the TV remote. All I watch on it is football. I refuse to consider any other CBS programming until they provide the cable feed to Comcast like everyone else does.
post #582 of 4859 Old 12-02-2004, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Got a phone message from "Kara" at comcast yesterday (wed) about 3:00pm. She returned my return around 7:00pm.

Seemed like I could have gotten the 6412 for 9.95 without upgrading to digital pkg.

She told me about a holiday special that had starz, yada yada, and the movie channel for 59.95/mo for 3 mo. That didn't particularily interest me so I asked what she could do with an HBO pkg. She sold me a silver something with HBO for 57.95/mo for 3 mo and waved all install fees.

Then she tries to sell me comcast phone service. It works out to 8-9 bucks less/ mo than verizon. Is anybody here using this phone service?

Install is scheduled for 10-12 fri.

I am amazed they actually called- and on the first day.

Lew
post #583 of 4859 Old 12-02-2004, 07:30 AM

Does anyone know if the USB/Fire Wire ports are active, and if so, will they support an external drive? I just happen to have a spare 250 gig drive collecting dust that I'd love to put to use.
post #584 of 4859 Old 12-02-2004, 08:03 AM

I just added HD last week so I don't have anything to compare to but the reception of West Wing wasn't so hot compared to other HD I've been watching on DirecTV. I added a Motorola box. There were a lot of artifacts and DARK scenes.
Since this is the first program we watched, I'm wondering how others are comparing the current Comcast reception. Come to think of it, Jay Leno was just decent too last night, not stellar. I seem to get much better HD reception on the SAT.
Most of the current talk on this forum seems to move toward the new recording HD devices. Just wondering for those of you that have had the reception for awhile what your opinions are currently about reception.
post #585 of 4859 Old 12-02-2004, 08:16 AM

Lew,
I changed my phone service to Comcast from Verizon to save the 8 to 9 bucks a month. I think my total is $33+ some change. No problems to speak of.
post #586 of 4859 Old 12-02-2004, 08:41 AM

Liked: 11
Lew

I have had Comcast phone service for over 4 years now and never had one problem or outage. It is also a clearer signal than when I had conventional AT&T. I have all three (broadband, basic cable and phone) coming over the same cable line with no problems.

Steve
post #587 of 4859 Old 12-02-2004, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, the DVI connection works. That's how mine is connected. In fact, I was able to use DVI with the old 6200. I was here when the tech installed my 6412 and it was as simple as unplugging the old HD box (6200) and plugging in the new one. He then called the home office and that was it. The home office did something to initialize or configure the DVR, but that was it. Not sure why we can't do this ourselves.

Here's a problem I had the other night. As I understand it, you are supposed to be able to record two shows at once. I had two programs both scheduled to start at 10pm. The one that lasted from 10pm - 11pm recorded fine. The one that was to record from 10pm - 10:30pm did not. When I try to play the saved recording, it does not even start playing. All I get is the "Do you want to delete this recording" message and it shows the program length of 17 minutes.

Markemery

Thanks for the answers. Glad I didn't buy all these fancy cables for nothing. Have you had a chance to compare component vs DVI outputs from the 6412?? And how are the non HD channels looking? I might need to have the Comcast tech tweak my reception because at present several stations look like crap, including PBS.

Did you get the two programs at a time issue worked out?
Doesn't sound right. I dont doubt what your saying but everything I read also says this has two tuners. Maybe there is some "switch" that has to be enabled to let the silly unit know you want to use both tuners simultaneously??? or something along those lines.

Let us know how you sovled the two at a time problem.

Mike
post #588 of 4859 Old 12-02-2004, 09:57 AM

Hi all, saw the comments on DVI connection and had a question. When I went from my Samsung 165 to the comcast(Motorola) 6200 the DVI connection no longer worked(picture scrambled). A friend who also has a Philips RPTV also had the same problem, we had to use the component input. Anyone have a Philips TV working with the DVI connection? I am using a DVI-D cable

It seems that the Motorola and Philips are not compatible, but I find that hard to believe. Any ideas?
post #589 of 4859 Old 12-02-2004, 11:35 AM

I have had Comcast digital phone service for a couple of years now with no problems. The only thing different is a few extra cables stapled to the exterior of my house and they install a small box with a backup power supply (battery) that needs to be plugged into standard power outlet. I have mine installed in my laundry room.

As for component vs. DVI, I have not compared the two. I need to use DVI becuase the component jacks on my TV are maxed out with DVD and PS2. The non-HD channels looked the same as when I had the 6200. I had a signal amplifier installed shortly after I purchased my 60" TV and it made a big difference since I use Comcast's TV, phone, cable modem services.

I have not had time to try to replicate the two shows at once problem. My guess is that there is not a "switch". The other thing I've noticed is that there have been times when a timer recording is in progress and I'll then switch to a different channel and a message will pop up to the effect that "changing channels will delete the recording...do you wish to continue?" Seems to me that I've switched channels and the timer recording was still in tact. Again, I have not looked into this further, so perhaps when you guys get hooked up, you can look for some of these issues I mention. I've also noticed that the program guide has been a bit unreliable. Last week I was hoping to record the Davis Love bike on American Chopper (Discovery HD) and I got the Lance Armstrong bike instead.

The one feature I'd like to see is the ability to schedule remote recordings from the internet. Say I'm at work and realize I forgot to program the DVR...sure would be nice if I could do it at the office, or anywhere else for that matter.
post #590 of 4859 Old 12-02-2004, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 174
any update on getting UPN in HD?

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #591 of 4859 Old 12-02-2004, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Markmerry

You said: " had a signal amplifier installed shortly after I purchased my...". Was this installed by Comcast?? If so do you think the serviceman will have one when he comes to install my 6412??

thanks in advance

Mike
post #592 of 4859 Old 12-02-2004, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by sotti
any update on getting UPN in HD?

No UPN HD on Comcast!! Yikes, how will I watch Enterprise!!
post #593 of 4859 Old 12-02-2004, 02:51 PM

Quote:

Markmerry

You said: " had a signal amplifier installed shortly after I purchased my...". Was this installed by Comcast?? If so do you think the serviceman will have one when he comes to install my 6412??

The cable guy who came to my house last summer had an amplifier in his bag o' tricks.
post #594 of 4859 Old 12-02-2004, 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bill Briare
I just added HD last week so I don't have anything to compare to but the reception of West Wing wasn't so hot compared to other HD I've been watching on DirecTV. I added a Motorola box. There were a lot of artifacts and DARK scenes.
...Most of the current talk on this forum seems to move toward the new recording HD devices. Just wondering for those of you that have had the reception for awhile what your opinions are currently about reception.

I get great reception. A couple of things from my experience that may or may not be relevant to you:

1. At one point on my Comcast connection I was seeing intermittent pixelization on HD channels, ghosting on some analog channels and a grainy look on most of them. My TV was reporting marginal S/N. I called Comcast and told them I thought I had a signal strength problem. The guy they sent eventually concluded the same thing and put an amplifier on the connection to my HDTV. The picture has been great ever since.

2. I also have an antenna for local HD channels and noticed that by comparison West Wing looked much too dark on my Comcast connection although it was fine via the antenna. My TV's picture/brightness/contrast etc. settings are adjustable on each type of input independently. Turned out the settings were different on the two inputs. When I adjusted the setting for the cable input to match the antenna input the difference disappeared. (Nothing better than the West Wing for deciding if your picture is too dark. I didn't have an issue with any other show at the old cable settings.)
post #595 of 4859 Old 12-02-2004, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

doretta

thanks for the useful comments. The signal amplifier it will be!!!

M
post #596 of 4859 Old 12-02-2004, 08:12 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if they normally carry the signal amplifiers with them. In my case, I requested a service call after having the 6200 for a week with my new 60" HDTV. The HD channels looked pretty good, but I was noticing a lot of snow on MTV and other SD channels. So, the guy came out and hooked me up with a signal amplifier that plugs into a standard power outlet. The $50 cost seemed high, but it was worth having the snow disappear instantly. I guess you'll do anything at that point to not have your $3K TV look like crap.

If you think you might want one, you ought to let them know ahead of time.
post #597 of 4859 Old 12-03-2004, 08:55 AM

Quote:

I So, the guy came out and hooked me up with a signal amplifier that plugs into a standard power outlet. The $50 cost seemed high, but it was worth having the snow disappear instantly. I guess you'll do anything at that point to not have your $3K TV look like crap.

I only looked around a little, but $50 doesn't appear to me to be a bad price for a good amplifier that doesn't interfere with 2-way communication on the cable--apparently some of the cheaper ones you can buy can cause problems with that. As Mark says, I wouldn't have thought twice about paying $50 for the improvement in picture quality that I got--and I only have a $2K TV.

However, if the problem is that Comcast just isn't providing a strong enough signal, it shouldn't cost you $50. I know from experience that if your incoming signal strength is low enough, they'll give you the amplifier without charging you for it. The techs are pretty coy about letting you know what they are seeing with their test equipment and what their standards are, and they no doubt prefer to give away amplifiers as a last resort, but it's also pretty clear that they have some leeway.

I'd suggest that anyone who suspects low signal strength is a problem be prepared to politely lobby the tech for a free amplifier. Ask them what they are measuring on your connection and what their standards are for the strength of signal they deliver. If your STB or TV has a dianostic mode that reports S/N, arming yourself with that information might well be helpful.
post #598 of 4859 Old 12-03-2004, 11:02 AM

My 6412 was installed this morning. Everything went smoothly and he gave me a (10ft I think) optical audio cable (to add to the 6ft one I got last year when the 5100 was installed). He didn't have a DVI cable to give me, not that I expected that, but I asked anyway...

The installer said that he hadn't seen the box before. He was an outside contractor and only the Comcast internal people had been trained. He said they were all tied up with the volume of orders for the DVRs, so he and his guys had to handle some installs. He said that they had 6000 boxes and 25,000 orders. I wonder about the 25,000 number - are people still getting install dates?

Misc things I noticed: I was able to record a show and then change channels and watch another show while it recorded. You can configure the amount of time the info pops up at the bottom (like when you press the play button while watching a recorded show) - the box was set to 1 second or so, which isn't long enough. I could see QuickView on the hard drive, so this is the kind that has been going into TiVos and ReplayTVs.

I had to run off to work soon after it was installed. The hard drive was doing a lot, perhaps downloading/databasing the channel guide data.
post #599 of 4859 Old 12-03-2004, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
From reading the manuals for the 6412 and my Sony XBR960, it looks like I should be able to hook this up with just a single Firewire cable to handle all audio and video. Has anyone tried this and gotten it working, or am I reading my manuals wrong? I was supposed to be on the wait list, and they were coming tomorrow to give me a cable card since I just moved, but I might try calling today to see if we can get the PVR sooner.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, www.hometheaterhifi.com
Displays Editor, AnandTech.com
Contributor, HDGuru.com and Wirecutter.com
ISF Level II Certified Calibrator, ReferenceHomeTheater.com
post #600 of 4859 Old 12-03-2004, 01:51 PM

Just tried to order a 6412. Was denied because I only have limited basic w/HD. Has anyone else run into this? CSR said reason is due to limited availability they're only taking requests from those with at least standard cable, ie, more profitable customers (well, I inferred that part).

By the way, does anyone else with limited basic & HD get the 'Standard Cable' package (ESPN, TNT, etc) or is this a fluke?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page