1Likes

post #601 of 4865 Old 12-03-2004, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by ZXTT

The installer said that he hadn't seen the box before. He was an outside contractor and only the Comcast internal people had been trained. He said they were all tied up with the volume of orders for the DVRs, so he and his guys had to handle some installs. He said that they had 6000 boxes and 25,000 orders. I wonder about the 25,000 number - are people still getting install dates?

I had a Comcast guy, but his information was much the same. He said they'd been given scarcely any training on the box (tho he seemed to know it pretty well), and that there was a huge waiting list for comparatively few boxes. He also said that the day had been crazy for them as they ran around trying to get these installed.

He wanted to know how I heard about the DVR's since he didn't think any kind of general notice went out. I told him about the AVS forum, so his mystery was solved, heh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 4865 Old 12-03-2004, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Funny I had no trouble getting an install time out about 12 days and then was able to change the install time to the exact time slot I wanted 5 days sooner, ie Dec 9th. I requested a signal amplifier vis a vi discussions on this thread also.
post #603 of 4865 Old 12-03-2004, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 32
We called today and got a PVR install date for tomorrow to go with our CableCard install. Will I need a signal amp since that outlet will need to be split 4 ways (2 tuners in the PVR, one in the TV, and the cable modem), or should it be fine? I'm sure the cable guy is just going to love us. Will find out if the Firewire works with my XBR 960 tomorrow as well.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, www.hometheaterhifi.com
Displays Editor, AnandTech.com
Contributor, HDGuru.com and Wirecutter.com
ISF Level II Certified Calibrator, ReferenceHomeTheater.com
post #604 of 4865 Old 12-03-2004, 04:35 PM

A point of clarification as to what drives the need of signal amplification. There are two possible reasons why it is necessary:

#1. The signal is below spec at entrance point to the home. This is the cable company's fault, and they should pay to address it.

#2. The signal is at or above spec at entry, but you're watering it down too much after that point. This was the case with my installation last January. We have a central feed box for low voltage distribution throughout the house, where the cable feed can be routed to up to nine different rooms for both cable tv and broadband internet. Due to the length of runs and number of splits, the signal was being diluted terribly. Comcast made me pay for signal amp in this case. BTW, the tech was very open about the signal strength readings at the entry vs. at the various termination points in the different rooms, so couldn't fault them too much for charging for the amp.
post #605 of 4865 Old 12-03-2004, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just catching up on recent events after being away for Thanksgiving. For you who are concerned about not being able to record 2 different shows in the same time period, I offer a non-technically-based observation. Sure, if the 6412 has 2 tuners it can bring in 2 signals; one to watch and one to record. But if there is only one recording head for the 120 GB drive doesn't it make sense that only one of those signals can be implanted on the drive? I don't know of any hard drive that can concurrently record from 2 sources. But I've been wrong before ....

Bob

BTW, just called Comcast and got a Sunday install for the 6214! Thanks to everyone for posting their experiences with this. Also got free install when I offered to pick up and DIY but rep wasn't sure of availability of unit at Nimbus location, so he threw in the installation!
post #606 of 4865 Old 12-03-2004, 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Smackrabbit
Will I need a signal amp since that outlet will need to be split 4 ways (2 tuners in the PVR, one in the TV, and the cable modem), or should it be fine? I'm sure the cable guy is just going to love us. Will find out if the Firewire works with my XBR 960 tomorrow as well.

The 6412 only takes one coax input. I have a TV, 6412, ReplayTV and cable modem all connected to one jack with no amp. I did get good splitters with low (measured in db) signal loss. Unfortunately, I forget exactly how I did this - I think I have two splitters, with a three-way splitter going to the cable box, cable modem and a second two-way splitter, which goes to the TV and ReplayTV. I have had trouble tuning in certain digital channels under previous splitting arrangements.
post #607 of 4865 Old 12-03-2004, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Davie Mac
A point of clarification as to what drives the need of signal amplification. There are two possible reasons why it is necessary:

#1. The signal is below spec at entrance point to the home. This is the cable company's fault, and they should pay to address it.

#2. The signal is at or above spec at entry, but you're watering it down too much after that point. This was the case with my installation last January. We have a central feed box for low voltage distribution throughout the house, where the cable feed can be routed to up to nine different rooms for both cable tv and broadband internet. Due to the length of runs and number of splits, the signal was being diluted terribly. Comcast made me pay for signal amp in this case. BTW, the tech was very open about the signal strength readings at the entry vs. at the various termination points in the different rooms, so couldn't fault them too much for charging for the amp.

Very Clear

Thanks man

M
post #608 of 4865 Old 12-03-2004, 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ridgefamus
For you who are concerned about not being able to record 2 different shows in the same time period, I offer a non-technically-based observation. Sure, if the 6412 has 2 tuners it can bring in 2 signals; one to watch and one to record. But if there is only one recording head for the 120 GB drive doesn't it make sense that only one of those signals can be implanted on the drive? I don't know of any hard drive that can concurrently record from 2 sources. But I've been wrong before ....

A hard drive doesn't record like a tape device, but writes blocks of data anywhere it needs to. The head is designed to move quickly between tracks. The software on the box controls the writing by telling the drive which logical blocks to write. The main issue is ensuring that the drive is not having to make accesses to different parts of the drive too frequently. The software can do things like buffer up the data in memory from a tuner while writing the other tuner's buffered data, constantly switching between buffering and writing each tuner. It could interleave the data from the two tuners, meaning it just writes a block of data from a tuner as soon as it is ready, without worrying about any blocks from a given tuner being next to each other. This approach isn't so bad on a DVR-type device, because they typically use large blocks, much bigger than the 4KB blocks you might see on a PC.
post #609 of 4865 Old 12-03-2004, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

ZXTT: Thanks for the explanation. That's a pretty big buffer for HD. I should have checked here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=1 before I stepped into the discussion. I think it answers most of our (my) questions about the 6412.

Bob
post #610 of 4865 Old 12-04-2004, 01:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Davie Mac
Just tried to order a 6412. Was denied because I only have limited basic w/HD. Has anyone else run into this? CSR said reason is due to limited availability they're only taking requests from those with at least standard cable, ie, more profitable customers (well, I inferred that part).

By the way, does anyone else with limited basic & HD get the 'Standard Cable' package (ESPN, TNT, etc) or is this a fluke?

Well that's better than what the CSR told me. I was told the same thing that is on the Comcast website, you can't even get the HD-DVR unless you subscribe to one of the digital tiers.

Guess I'll be sticking with OTA HD, for $65/mth I can buy a stand-alone HD-DVR...

Earl
post #611 of 4865 Old 12-04-2004, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by earletp
Well that's better than what the CSR told me. I was told the same thing that is on the Comcast website, you can't even get the HD-DVR unless you subscribe to one of the digital tiers.

Guess I'll be sticking with OTA HD, for $65/mth I can buy a stand-alone HD-DVR...

Earl

For about a grand!
post #612 of 4865 Old 12-04-2004, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

"Luis", a fairly large man, showed up at 11:56am friday with just 4 minutes to go.

I had everything ready for him. He connected my component cables, optical audio cable, cable cable, and a power cord that he brought with him. He fired it up, made a couple nextel calls and the downloading began. I was his first dvr install.

He was gone before 1:00pm. Both tuners worked as advertised as well as the swap button. The mute button silences/unsilences the box, not my audio receiver. The guide was empty and I had to go back to work.

Got home around 4, the guide was full and started to feel my way around the 6412. This thing is wonderful. I programmed a slug of HBOHD stuff then attacked the remote transfer to my MX500.

I programmed the 30 sec skip to my RS cheap learning remote and learned that as well as the 6412 remote to the MX500.

The "skip" function works great. The "right hook arrow" shows up on the time bar on the right side of the indicated bar position ( the replay 15 sec shows up on the left side of the indicated bar position). There is a minute indicator right under the indicator bar. Two clicks on the "skip" button and the minute goes up one. Four clicks on the replay button and the minute goes down one.

I've put on very close to 7 hours on the maxtor hard drive and it indicates 37% full. I guess I'l go back home and start watching Master and Commander, Chris Rock, and the rest of the stuff I recorded.

So far this has been a very painless and pleasant experience. This box is very quiet until my ear is about 6 inches away, then it sounds like gerbils and hamsters duking it out.

"Yippie"

Lew
post #613 of 4865 Old 12-04-2004, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

General plea to all those on this forum (who care about UPN HD). How can we or should I say can we lobby Comcast to carry UPN HD?? Mainly I am a rabid Star Trek fan and am seriously dissappointed that Archer and his gang will not be seen in HD at least around Portland. Any ideas? Should we start a petition??

Mismatched
post #614 of 4865 Old 12-04-2004, 01:08 PM

Anyone taken advantage of Comcasts Dish Buyout program. Now that they have the HD DVR, I'm tempted to switch. Although I'm not sure about giving up CBS HD (OTA), TNTHD, HDNET, and HDNET Movie channels.

Did they take all your equipment. I have 2 Dishes a 6000 HD reciever and a 510 DVR. I'm kind of hesitant to surrender all that hardware, in case I may want to switch back in the future. If I could just surrender one dish and reciever, I'd maybe keep my Dish HD subscription to get TNTHD, HDNET, HDNET Movie, and CBSHD over the air.

Also, does anyone know if I can still access programs recorded on my 510 DVR if I no longer have Dish.

Thanks.

Bullfrog
post #615 of 4865 Old 12-04-2004, 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by lewlew
This box is very quiet until my ear is about 6 inches away, then it sounds like gerbils and hamsters duking it out.

Heh. I build my own computer systems, so I know that hard drives *can* make noise, but this one is noisier than any I'd heard before (maybe they got a deal on them, lol).

I wondered if this sound ever stops. I called Comcast this morning about it, and told them it had been going for about 18 hours (I was worried the sound might indicate a problem with the hard drive). She said that it just takes a really long time for a new DVR to install and index all the info it needs to. I'll assume she knew what she was talking about, but this thing must be dl'ing at 24k, lolz!
post #616 of 4865 Old 12-04-2004, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by mismatched
For about a grand!

Yes, and at the end of a year what do I have to show for it...
On one hand I have still another years payments to Comcast and the other, no more payments, an HD-DVR, and the ability to timeshift CBS and UPN.
post #617 of 4865 Old 12-04-2004, 04:53 PM

Quote:

General plea to all those on this forum (who care about UPN HD). How can we or should I say can we lobby Comcast to carry UPN HD?? Mainly I am a rabid Star Trek fan and am seriously dissappointed that Archer and his gang will not be seen in HD at least around Portland. Any ideas? Should we start a petition??

Mismatched

Good question, if you figure it out I'll sign on. Probably everyone making a call to Comcast customer service would have more impact than a petition.

I have an antenna and watch Enterprise OTA--it is gorgeous in HD. I still want it on Comcast though, since I'm getting the 6412 on Monday but still won't be able to record it in HD. They don't do the Sunday rebroadcast in HD so if I can't watch on Friday, no HD for me either.
post #618 of 4865 Old 12-04-2004, 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bullfrog
Although I'm not sure about giving up CBS HD (OTA), TNTHD, HDNET, and HDNET Movie channels.

This reminds me, anyone heard anything about TNT HD on Comcast?
post #619 of 4865 Old 12-04-2004, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

d

you said: I have an antenna and watch Enterprise OTA--it is gorgeous in HD.

What type and where is it located? On roof or in house?

M
post #620 of 4865 Old 12-04-2004, 06:18 PM

You know, I'm starting to think this sound my DVR is making is not normal. It's much like LewLew said (gerbils duking it out) but I can hear it from my couch 10 feet away when the TV is off (tho I do have good ears and my room is exceptionally quiet). It kind of sounds like "chika-chika-chika".

BTW, the box seems to record and function normally. The one odd thing I see is that if I shut off the box (which causes the noise to stop), the red record light comes on even though I have nothing scheduled to record.

Any similar experiences out there? Is this sound normal or am I being exceptionally picky, lol?

Thanks!

Dev

P.S. I think I am just being picky. I'm of those people/nuts that can hear the whine coming from certain TV's, lol.

P.P.S and certain TV's DO whine!
post #621 of 4865 Old 12-04-2004, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

d

you said: I have an antenna and watch Enterprise OTA--it is gorgeous in HD.

What type and where is it located? On roof or in house?

M

I use a Silver Sensor indoor antenna, and I believe doretta does too.
It works great for me. If you weren't aware, all the local channels with the exception on PAX broadcast in HD here.
Even PAX broadcasts a digital signal just not in HD.

This really isn't the correct forum for this discussion, but if you are interested there's a lot of good information on broadcast HD in the Portland, OR - OTA thread here at AVS.
post #622 of 4865 Old 12-04-2004, 08:46 PM

Devlin, I'm with you about noise. I have a projector whose fan noise is probably 40dbs yet it's driving me nuts. It's a curse.
post #623 of 4865 Old 12-04-2004, 09:04 PM

Quote:

From reading the manuals for the 6412 and my Sony XBR960, it looks like I should be able to hook this up with just a single Firewire cable to handle all audio and video. Has anyone tried this and gotten it working, or am I reading my manuals wrong? I was supposed to be on the wait list, and they were coming tomorrow to give me a cable card since I just moved, but I might try calling today to see if we can get the PVR sooner.

I haven't tried it but, yes, it is supposed to work. Did you get them to bring you the DVR along with the cablecard?
post #624 of 4865 Old 12-06-2004, 12:31 PM

Woohoo! My DVR channel guide is downloading.

The install tech assured me that with the amplifier I have there'd be no problem with the splitting the signal so I kept my cablecard setup and split the signal off to the DVR. So far he seems to have been right.
post #625 of 4865 Old 12-06-2004, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Got my 6412 installed on Sun. but the tech said they ran out of the upgraded remotes. The remote from the 6200 performs most functions except you can't do the swap between the 2 tuners and instant replay is missing. Nor can I randomly tune to any of the basic channels 2 - 99 from the 6200 remote. I wonder what software change in v. 9.12 affected that part of the remote channel selection process?

So far, the hard drive noise isn't intrusive. It's a Seagate and the tech said all the 6412's they are installing here have the Seagate drive. I believe someone reported getting a unit with a Maxtor. I told him that and he said it wasn't likely. Hmmm.

The install occurred during KPTV's showing of the Packers vs. Eagles game. I swear the picture quality improved on that broadcast quite measurably. Colors were so much more vivid/brighter that I thought my TV's settings were altered. I flipped between my OTA of the same source and the OTA picture was more muted. I hope I don't have to recalibrate each time I switch from the Comcast source. My Sony doesn't let me calibrate for each source .

They are supposed to deliver the newer remote today.

Bob
post #626 of 4865 Old 12-06-2004, 01:05 PM

Anyone know if an external HDD will work with these machines, via either USB or FireWire?
post #627 of 4865 Old 12-06-2004, 01:13 PM

Nevermind, I think I answered my own question. But, just in case anyone else is interested...

Motorola FAQ site

Can I transfer recorded programs to another device such as an external hard drive, a PC, or a DVD recorder?
No. Currently you can't offload recorded content to any external device from a DCT6208 or DCT6412, even though the data ports are there, the software doesn't support it yet. When the option becomes available through a software upgrade, it will be downloaded to DCTs automatically by service providers/cable companies.

Does the DCT6412 support external storage devices?
No, but it includes an IEEE1394 port that will be functional in the future.
post #628 of 4865 Old 12-06-2004, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

The manual tells how to copy recorded programming onto a VHS unit. Certainly not the high tech solution you are looking for but it is a way to get stuff off the drive and keep it longer. HD must be passed to a HiDef VCR.
post #629 of 4865 Old 12-06-2004, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Well, our tech forgot to bring the PVR with him on Saturday (I was watching the Nike Cross country nationals, so my roommate watched him do the install), but he's coming back on this Saturday at noon to do the PVR install. The cablecard got installed fine, again, and Solaris sure did look incredible on HBO HD this weekend. I picked up a Firewire cable at Circuit City so I can return it if it doesn't work like I want it to (I've heard the guide doesn't show up over Firewire, which would be a downer, but it also means I can get the XBR 960 to do all the format conversion, which would be better). I would like to know about Comcast getting TNT HD as well, since I know I'd enjoy watching some more NBA in HD myself.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, www.hometheaterhifi.com
Displays Editor, AnandTech.com
Contributor, HDGuru.com and Wirecutter.com
ISF Level II Certified Calibrator, ReferenceHomeTheater.com
post #630 of 4865 Old 12-06-2004, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

know I'd enjoy watching some more NBA in HD myself.

Pistons/Mavs tonight at 5:30 on INHD, live.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page