1Likes

post #661 of 4865 Old 12-09-2004, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Jams
...The only problem is my On Demand button does not turn on VOD but tries to tune channel 119. Odd.

Mine did that "out of the box" as well. The simple fix is to set the "Auto-Tune" parameter which will allow you to enter single or double digit channel numbers without having to specify leading zeros. In the case of On Demand, it is accessed on channel 001. So if you turn "Auto-tune" on, you only have to enter 1 or hit the "On-Demand" button. Access the main menu then:Setup/Guide Setup/Channel Entry Behavior/Auto-Tune on.
Cheers!

ÂOutside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. --Groucho Marx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 4865 Old 12-09-2004, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I assume that everyone in the Portland area who gets the 6412 is getting the black remote (with the swap button but without the setup button). Is there any way with this remote to program the 30-second swap?

BTW, I'm not sure if this was mentioned here, but if you really want to know what kind of hard disk you have and you can't quite make it out through the vent holes, turn off the 6412 and then within three seconds, press the Enter button on the remote. You'll see a service menu with a lot of mostly uninteresting data. But you'll find the drive name, model, size, etc. in one of the sub-menus.
post #663 of 4865 Old 12-09-2004, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My 6412 was delivered on Sun. without a remote with the installer saying they were all out. He apologized, called someone on his phone and requested the new remote be delivered next day. Not sure where it came from but I left the old remote from the 6200 on my porch and by 2pm the new one was swapped. It is a silver model with no specific designation on it that I can see but it does say Comcast on the bottom.

My one peeve so far is that it is very balky as to whether it wants to communicate readily with the 6412. Last night I had to almost get right in front of the 6412 to get it to respond to the numeric keys. Most of the function keys seem to work OK from a distance. I put fresh batteries in and there was no better performance. If I continue with these problems I'll call Comcast to get a new one.

Bob
post #664 of 4865 Old 12-09-2004, 01:30 PM

Comcast delivered a new remote with the 6412. It's silver in color and looks very similar to the remote we had with the 6200, but it's larger and there are extra buttons for PIP, swap, DVR functions, etc.

ÂOutside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. --Groucho Marx
post #665 of 4865 Old 12-09-2004, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Huh. The one they gave me is an ICX ENT-6412-3005 AB. It's black with buttons of multiple colors (blue, green, a couple of red, and four white). Do your silver remotes have the setup button? Mine doesn't.
post #666 of 4865 Old 12-09-2004, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Here is a LINK to EMail addresses at the FCC - in order to write to them to complain about the owner (Emmis) of our local CBS with holding HD signals from Comcast:

http://www.fcc.gov/contacts.html

Go for it!

Michael
post #667 of 4865 Old 12-09-2004, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

crossbeauz: Looks like I have the remote same as kwkarth. Yes, it has the Setup button. I'd call Comcast and see if you can get the right remote.
post #668 of 4865 Old 12-09-2004, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kwkarth
Comcast delivered a new remote with the 6412. It's silver in color and looks very similar to the remote we had with the 6200, but it's larger and there are extra buttons for PIP, swap, DVR functions, etc.

How's the IR range with your remote? Mine sucks, especially the ability to give it commands from the numeric pad portion.

Bob
post #669 of 4865 Old 12-09-2004, 07:07 PM

When I first got my 6412, they gave me the black remote. It worked fine, though the buttons were in different places than with the old HDTV remote and some of the buttons were labelled diferently than in the xeroxed instruction booklet (e.g. MyDVR was called LIST).

When I swapped out my box for a less noisy one, the Comcast rep agreed it was a pain to relearn the remote buttons so he gave me one of the silver ones. The only downside he said was the now-famous problem with the OnDemand button being programmed incorrectly.
post #670 of 4865 Old 12-09-2004, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member

Just set up my 5674 Sammy with the MOTO 6412 STB and the HD PQ is just awesome. And some of the non HD like CNN is pretty darn good OTB also. However, I am noticing a weird dashed white line that is just right (1" max.) of the right edge of the 4:3 picture. that it is in the black bar on the right. It is a perfect dashed line and this occurs on multiple non HD non wide channels. Not sure if this is my set or the TV broadcast. Anyone else seen anything like this. at present I am using component video out of the STB instead of DVI because I have my DVD player using the DVI input on the Sammy.

mimatched
post #671 of 4865 Old 12-09-2004, 09:59 PM

Just an update (as most of you probably all know by now) regarding the new Silver Comcast remotes for the 6412:

Comcast received a batch of them that had the "On Demand" button programmed wrong on them, so they had to send them back to the factory. Therefore, we are stuck with the ugly black ICX remotes untill they can get the newer silver remotes in again.
post #672 of 4865 Old 12-09-2004, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ridgefamus
How's the IR range with your remote? Mine sucks, especially the ability to give it commands from the numeric pad portion.

Bob

I haven't noticed any problems with it.

post #673 of 4865 Old 12-09-2004, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DevlinNulland
When I first got my 6412, they gave me the black remote. It worked fine, though the buttons were in different places than with the old HDTV remote and some of the buttons were labelled diferently than in the xeroxed instruction booklet (e.g. MyDVR was called LIST).

When I swapped out my box for a less noisy one, the Comcast rep agreed it was a pain to relearn the remote buttons so he gave me one of the silver ones. The only downside he said was the now-famous problem with the OnDemand button being programmed incorrectly.

It's not a problem w/ the remote. It's easily fixed through the setup menu as I posted earlier.
Quote:
Mine did that "out of the box" as well. The simple fix is to set the "Auto-Tune" parameter which will allow you to enter single or double digit channel numbers without having to specify leading zeros. In the case of On Demand, it is accessed on channel 001. So if you turn "Auto-tune" on, you only have to enter 1 or hit the "On-Demand" button. Access the main menu then:Setup/Guide Setup/Channel Entry Behavior/Auto-Tune on.

Cheers!

post #674 of 4865 Old 12-10-2004, 03:00 AM

I lied. It's not working today, I could have sworn it was working yesterday.
Anyway, if you turn auto-tune on, then simply hitting the 1 key will take you to On-Demand

post #675 of 4865 Old 12-10-2004, 10:47 PM

Earlier today I noticed my HDTV DVR unit was very slow in changing channels, called Comcast and they stated they were aware of the issue. Got home from work and unit gave a message that the drive was full but the display said it was 40%. It was also very slow in responding to inputs. Called Comcast, powered down the unit(unplugged) and they 'sent a signal'. Channel and menu access is OK now but all my recoding are gone and it can not record anything, not even replay. I can not even hear the drive running, I think it is fried. Comcast is having someone comeout tomorrow. I saw on the Seattle Comcast thread that a lot of folks lost recordings in the last 24 hours. Anyone here have an issues. I am glad I kept my OTA box but I started getting hooked by the DVR.
post #676 of 4865 Old 12-10-2004, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Nikeman: Stuff I recorded Wed. night - Smallville and Law & Order are still on my drive. Haven't perceived any problems in that regard.

BTW, I was watching the INHD2 Sex and Rock n Roll from the Playboy Mansion tonight with Everlast when I finally realized why I had my receiver turned up so high. There was no sound coming out of any speakers except the center channel. This was even though my receiver indicated DD 5.1. Anyone else? The other Comcast HD channels with 5.1 were coming in fine. Maybe a program glitch?

Bob
post #677 of 4865 Old 12-11-2004, 12:22 AM

got it on Tue., worked great, made recordings, lots of fun, an hour ago I called Comcast, how stupid of me, to complain about the On-Demand META-6 error, they tried sending a signal to my DVR, didn't worked so they reset it and asked me to wait couple of minutes before turning it on again and that it will take an hour to reload the guide.

That was the end of my DVR, never came back, nothing comes through. Called Comcast again, the rep. gave up pretty quickly and set me up with an tech appointment for Sunday morning. Power cycled it didn't helped.

Box info: SW 71.44 - 1203, Firmware: 09.12.

I'm going to try to replace the box tomorrow at their center.
My advice is that if all works grate except On-Demand don't let them reset the box, they don't seem to have enough experience with what they need to do to fix it in remote.

BTW, I had the META-6 error with their std. HD Box as well on Monday before they installed the DVR, I tried explaining them that the DVR might not be the issue but it was like "we do this all the time and it works". What irritates me is not that this is a new technology free of bugs but the fact that they don't think of the consequences before doing something.

Anyway, I heard that one of the high tech executive said in a conference that cable companies infrastructure is limited and that they won't be able to compete with sat. for HDTV.
post #678 of 4865 Old 12-11-2004, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by 1500P

Anyway, I heard that one of the high tech executive said in a conference that cable companies infrastructure is limited and that they won't be able to compete with sat. for HDTV.

I would want some confirmation on that statement. I think the newer Comcast areas or upgraded ones have sufficient HD for several new channels. Yes, they can't just launch another satellite and get 500 new HD channels, but they don't need to. They only need the locals in one area and the majority of the nationals. Comcast has all the locals they can get (without agreements from Sinclair, Cox and others who are holding out for more money) and right now need only space for 5 more channels (HDNET/Movies, UHD, TNT-HD, ESPN2HD) so I'm hoping they will be able to compete.

Perhaps folks with Comcast contacts can comment on the statement quoted above?

Thanks,

Rich N.
post #679 of 4865 Old 12-11-2004, 07:12 PM

The Comcast tech got here about noon today. Checked the DVR and both the hard-drive and tuner #2 were inactive. Luckily she thought ahead and brought another unit, swapped it and everything is fine now. She even changed some connections in the coax and channel 4 is not fuzzy anymore. I am not happy that the unit crashed but I can not complain about the service from Comcast, they were here in about 16 hours and did what it took to get me back up and running. I just hope this was a fluke.
post #680 of 4865 Old 12-12-2004, 01:01 AM

Anyone,

Trying to decide on comcast or satellite. Besides programming and dish placement issues are there any reasons that folks here like comcast over satellite? I currently have extended basic. Just bought new HDTV and just cant get off the fence. Any comments appreciated.

All is......... Music vibrating in 10 dimensional hyperspace
post #681 of 4865 Old 12-12-2004, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Globo-

You can go month to month with cable hd until you fall off your fence.
post #682 of 4865 Old 12-12-2004, 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by globo
Anyone,

Trying to decide on comcast or satellite. Besides programming and dish placement issues are there any reasons that folks here like comcast over satellite? I currently have extended basic. Just bought new HDTV and just cant get off the fence. Any comments appreciated.

After a lifetime of cable and more recently trying Comcast's HD service for almost three months I was also still on the fence. I had never used Satellite service before. Although everyone I talked to said they really like there satellite service I just was not sure it was worth the extra investment and the limitations of using a dish... I just yesterday switched to DirecTV's HD service. No worries on a one year contract, antenna mounting or the extra cost. I'm not going back...

Technoholic
post #683 of 4865 Old 12-12-2004, 06:50 PM

Hmmm. I realize that potential Comcast users in the Portland area will naturally gravitate toward this thread for advice on whether to subscribe or not, but still I wonder if there is a better place for this conversation. Ideally one would post such a question in both the satellite and cable forums, and thus get the opinions from both sides without having the two groups waste forum space on a head to head debate that could well turn into a flame war.

Since this is a Comcast user thread, I suggest we do our best to keep to topics that relate to Comcast users rather than debates about cable vs satellite. Having said that, you should probably Google the numerous web articles that debate the merits of satellite vs cable depending on your location and needs. Consumer Reports is worth looking at, for instance.

As for the particulars in the Portland area, I'd just get all the channel lineup, installation and equipment info you can get from the companies directly (rather than thru forum scuttlebutt) and then see how they best fit your lifestyle. Since you can spend a little to a lot for either option and since both services seem to work about as well as one another, the choice really comes down to the channels you want to see most - and no one but you can make that assessment.

Good Luck!
post #684 of 4865 Old 12-12-2004, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

I would second these comments because there are many factors. What are your priorities. I would add that you could set up both in your home and see what you like best! there is severe competition and installation costs are fairly low at present. It is a tough decision. Kinda like deciding on a HDTV!!
post #685 of 4865 Old 12-12-2004, 11:48 PM

I agree. This is a forum on Comcast users who have made their decision between D*TV and cable already. We are just trying to get the best HDTV from cable. This forum points out problems that we have and might be settled by other Comcast users. BTW, This is a great forum and I appreciate all the members. J.
post #686 of 4865 Old 12-13-2004, 03:27 AM

Appriciate the comments and now realize this is not the correct thread to ask about preferances on hd feeds. I will probably go with comcast and hope to be back with some constructive content.

All is......... Music vibrating in 10 dimensional hyperspace
post #687 of 4865 Old 12-13-2004, 09:11 AM

No problem Globo. I didn't mean to be harsh (especially since you merely asked a good question), and please come back soon. It's just that your post came at an unusual moment in this thread, making a flame war a possibility (however remote).

See you soon!

P.S. That pillow trick to silence the 6412 works great! All you need is a small pillow that covers the front and center section of the unit (where the hard drive is). So far I haven't noticed any overheating, though I would suggest a non-flammable pillow just in case, lol.
post #688 of 4865 Old 12-13-2004, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

I think covering your unit with a pillow is foolish at best. I doubt your unit will burst into flames but if you experience any glitches with your box, you should include that fact in your post. Heat build up is really hard on the processor and other internals.
Also make use of the diagnostics page to track the internal temp.

At least it's winter so ambient temp shouldn't be to high.
post #689 of 4865 Old 12-13-2004, 11:56 AM

If it were the entire unit covered then I would agree it would be "foolish at best" . As it is, the little pillow I have is just over the hard drive and I only put it on the box if I'm listening to something quiet like the DMX music channel.
post #690 of 4865 Old 12-13-2004, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

I could have been more diplomatic, good luck with your box.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page