1Likes

post #721 of 4859 Old 12-20-2004, 12:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by kwkarth
I've had enough of Qwest and unless Comcast screws up, I'm going to stay with them.

I'm also interested in making the switch to a different phone service from Qwest. Although they reduced the basic service, I just received notice of an increase in voicemail service. I was thinking about Vonage but have not decided. I have two phone lines and I need to keep the same numbers. Was that a problem for Comcast?

Technoholic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 4859 Old 12-20-2004, 12:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No, that was not an issue at all. We were able to keep the same phone number we've always had. Further, Comcast also installed a 4 hour battery backup for the phone system so that if we have a power outage, the phone keeps working. No charge.

ÂOutside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. --Groucho Marx
post #723 of 4859 Old 12-20-2004, 09:35 AM

We've had Comcast digital phone service since it was first available in our area, two or three years ago. Service has been great, no downtime at all until last Saturday evening (service was restored Sunday morning).

They also installed the battery backup system for us, and said the system notifies them when the battery starts to fail. When that happens, they said they come out and install a new one, also no charge.
post #724 of 4859 Old 12-20-2004, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jcrofts
We've had Comcast digital phone service since it was first available in our area, two or three years ago. Service has been great, no downtime at all until last Saturday evening (service was restored Sunday morning).

They also installed the battery backup system for us, and said the system notifies them when the battery starts to fail. When that happens, they said they come out and install a new one, also no charge.

So what is the charge for installation of two lines? And what is the basic service package rate, that is the one where you have unlimited local calls and ~7 cent/min long distance?? Does it really work out to less than Qwest? And can I keep my present phone equipment??

thanks comcast phone subscribers!

mismatched
post #725 of 4859 Old 12-20-2004, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I just realized I wasn't getting DD 5.1 out of the 6412 while watching MNF. I switched to Ch 788 for the 76ers game and no 5.1, just ProLogic. I then tried my OTA for MNF and got 5.1. Before I call Comcast I wanted to hear if anyone else has lost DD 5.1 from their 6412. I have optical digital audio out from both boxes to my receiver.

Bob
post #726 of 4859 Old 12-21-2004, 10:00 AM

Liked: 11
I was receiving 5.1 from KATU-DT through the 6412.
I had my receiver set to auto decoding. Perhaps you left yours on Stereo?

My RPTV-based
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #727 of 4859 Old 12-21-2004, 10:02 PM
Advanced Member

I recorded on the Moto 6412 (via DVI) in HD "Under the Tuscan Sun". I could swear that when I was watching it live it filled my whole screen but when I played back the recorded version it was in a 4:3 format. Anyone else experience anything like this. This is my first recording of an HD program. I have a Samsung 5674 and I keep it set on Expand.

thanks for any feedback.
post #728 of 4859 Old 12-21-2004, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I've recorded several HD programs and they all came out fine in the same aspect ratio as originally presented, 16:9. "Expansion" on my Sony ("Full", Wide") is not possible for HD content as the set presumes widescreen.
post #729 of 4859 Old 12-22-2004, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Ever since Comcast switched over to the new menu system a month ago, I have noticed periodic "lockups" on the STB. It's a standard Moto 62xx with HD capability.

It seems to occur mostly when browsing through the guide. When it happens, no remote buttons will work; no front panel buttons will work. After about 1 minute or so of not touching any buttons, it seems to recover.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I have no other reception issues, signal is good, S/N ratio is "good". And it never occurred before they switched to the new menu system. Sounds like a software/firmware issue, but if that were the case it seems like a lot of people would be experiencing the same thing.
post #730 of 4859 Old 12-22-2004, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

I have experienced similar issues plus some programs recorded that I definitely did not request. I requested the recording of Globetreker last weekend and it recorded some Nature horse show!! Both on PBS of course but... And when I tried to record a Nature "Mountain of Ice" program it recorded the same stupid Horse show on Nature. Again these shows are all on PBS. Anyone else seen anything similar??

I have the Moto 6412 STB

thanks

mismatched
post #731 of 4859 Old 12-22-2004, 10:46 AM

I've had the same problem with my remote. Glad it's not just me. I thought it was battery problem since it would just freeze up.
post #732 of 4859 Old 12-22-2004, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 14
HTBruce ---- I too have had and still do - the SAME problem. Kept waiting for possible software upgrade to solve it - FINALLY - called Comcast about a week or so ago. They sent a Repair man out here and he said he has the same problems with his and he called a "higher up" and the man told him that they were well aware of it and were working on solving it through a software Upgrade ASAP. BTW the repair fella said his girl friend said she solved it by turning the TV on off and then back on again (could not explain that - does not make sense) anyway- I have tried it several times since then and one time it actually worked.

Good Luck, Michael
post #733 of 4859 Old 12-22-2004, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

In case you missed this in my response about the STB freezeup...

I requested the recording of Globetreker last weekend and it recorded some Nature horse show!! Both on PBS of course but... And when I tried to record a Nature "Mountain of Ice" program it recorded the same stupid Horse show on Nature. Again these shows are all on PBS. Anyone else seen anything similar??
post #734 of 4859 Old 12-22-2004, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by mismatched
In case you missed this in my response about the STB freezeup...

I requested the recording of Globetreker last weekend and it recorded some Nature horse show!! Both on PBS of course but... And when I tried to record a Nature "Mountain of Ice" program it recorded the same stupid Horse show on Nature. Again these shows are all on PBS. Anyone else seen anything similar??

I think the problem with recording shows from OPB is that the iGuide carries program info from the analog channel 10 and displays it for 710. I recorded the Christmas Homecoming program on OPBDT last night at 10:00. The DVR list shows I recorded "Great Lodges/Canadian Rockies" but I can watch the Homecoming show when I press play. This has often been the case with OPB and the iGuide, as far as I can tell. I use the DT program info I get from OPB in a periodic email. You can easily sign up for that at opb.org.

Bob
post #735 of 4859 Old 12-23-2004, 06:58 PM

Anyone? Is it just my set or are others experiencing no sound. It is 6:45pm and picture is fine but no sound. Even menu shows no digital service. I'm sure I paid the cable bill. Edit: Now 7:40pm and sound is back. Remote froze again but powered on and off and now it's working. Strange.
post #736 of 4859 Old 12-24-2004, 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by HTBruceM
Ever since Comcast switched over to the new menu system a month ago, I have noticed periodic "lockups" on the STB. It's a standard Moto 62xx with HD capability.

It seems to occur mostly when browsing through the guide. When it happens, no remote buttons will work; no front panel buttons will work. After about 1 minute or so of not touching any buttons, it seems to recover.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I have no other reception issues, signal is good, S/N ratio is "good". And it never occurred before they switched to the new menu system. Sounds like a software/firmware issue, but if that were the case it seems like a lot of people would be experiencing the same thing.

Oh god yes! This is always happening to me (as I love On Demand and always playing stuff back). Last night I was playing the various music videos and while scrolling around my box locked up 4-5 times in a 1 hour period. Before the firmware update, it would only lock up 1-2 times per hour. If I wasn't so hooked On Demand I would chuck this box through their Beaverton office... :-)

--Chris

--Chris ^_^
Portland, Oregon, USA | OTA / Frontier FiOS | 52" Sharp AQUOS LC52LE700UN | PlayStation 3
post #737 of 4859 Old 12-27-2004, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Hello everyone,

I'm a long time AVS Forum member who just recently discovered the threads on Portland locals. I'm using Directv but want local HD channels, especially for football. I recently asked about the differences between OTA and Comcast in this posting on the OTA thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...36#post4873236

The guys there did a good job educating me. Now I have one additional question that's specific to Comcast so I'm asking here:

How reliable are the local HD channels from Comcast?

I'm asking specifically about the basic QAM signals on the cable, not about PVRs or STBs (which are a whole other topic, discussed frequently here).

The OTA guys write about occasional problems with programs reverting to SD vs HD, dropouts, freeze-ups, etc. But as long as those problems originate with the TV stations, they're probably common between OTA and Comcast. So I'm not asking about that.

I just want to know if Comcast does a faithful and reliable job of delivering the local HD signals from the originating TV stations to their subscribers.

I know about KOIN not being on Comcast, and that's a big negative for me. But I'm trying to do due diligence here. Maybe I will do something soon anyway, since the super bowl is on Fox this year (I think). Plus there's at least one more year of Monday Night Football coming in HD from ABC.

Thanks for any info anyone can give me.
post #738 of 4859 Old 12-27-2004, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Arnesen
Oh god yes! This is always happening to me (as I love On Demand and always playing stuff back). Last night I was playing the various music videos and while scrolling around my box locked up 4-5 times in a 1 hour period. Before the firmware update, it would only lock up 1-2 times per hour. If I wasn't so hooked On Demand I would chuck this box through their Beaverton office... :-)

--Chris

everyone having these problems let's not just @#@ in this thread but rather provide Comcast with constructive criticism. There is much competition out there and my bet is that they will respond albeiit slowly to frequent complaints on the same issue
post #739 of 4859 Old 12-27-2004, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I have had OTA for about 2 years and Comcast HD for 6 months. As far as I know, the only difference between receiving HD programs via Comcast vs. OTA is there is no worry about antenna-related (signal acquisition) problems with Comcast. Otherwise the signal sent by the station for OTA distribution is exactly what Comcast passes, and again, AFAIK, there is no compression of it. I keep OTA for CBS and UPN but usually watch the other locals via Comcast. Flipping between the 2 sources hasn't revealed any PQ differences - when I get a good OTA signal locked in.

Bob
post #740 of 4859 Old 12-27-2004, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Oh man I wish Comcast would carry UPN HD, and of course CBS...
post #741 of 4859 Old 01-01-2005, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

It's been pretty quiet here for a few days. This post will at least bump the thread up a few pages. I guess others have been having as much fun with their 6412's as I have had.

I time shifted all 13 episodes of Sopranos HD this week. I dumped the HBO movie "Hoffa" to D-VHS ( to conserve space) and dumped some other HBO stuff live to D-VHS just to see if I could. I like this machine.

Being old, this machine allows me to sleep when old people normally sleep.

Lew
post #742 of 4859 Old 01-01-2005, 04:36 PM

lewlew -

A few questions about your post:
What DVHS machine do you use, do you transfer via firewire, and are there any special procedures you follow? I had heard that Portland Comcast disabled recording HDTV from the 6412, so this is good news.

Thanks
post #743 of 4859 Old 01-01-2005, 10:04 PM
MR

Is there a QAM channel map list somewhere? I've done some searches on this forum and internet, but haven't found anything. I have Comcast in the Beaverton area and I am looking for the unencrypted HD/digital channels. So far I can only find:

QAM256
76.1 - WB
76.2 - Fox
91.1 - ABC
91.2 - NBC

QAM64
72 - digital music
80.13 - digital music
80.12 - digital music

Thanks,
MR
post #744 of 4859 Old 01-01-2005, 10:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by lewlew
It's been pretty quiet here for a few days. This post will at least bump the thread up a few pages. I guess others have been having as much fun with their 6412's as I have had.

Indeed, quite too much "fun," actually, it's taken over my life (such that it was) it's severely cut into my forum time.

Quote:

I time shifted all 13 episodes of Sopranos HD this week. I dumped the HBO movie "Hoffa" to D-VHS ( to conserve space) and dumped some other HBO stuff live to D-VHS just to see if I could.

With HBO topping out at 14.2mbps, and apparantly employing variable bit rate encoding (or else Comcast is reencoding, something about which I'm started to wonder the frequent loss of 3:2 encoding in high-motion scenes - when it needs it most - would seem to be an indicator), you should be able to fit well in excess of the 15 hours claimed by the manufacturer, as long as HBO/Showtime/Starz/Cinemax is all you record. The one episode of Sopranos that I did check came in around 10mbps, IIRC. I've seen it as low at 9mbps, and have only seen it into the 14mbps range on a 480i/60 source.
post #745 of 4859 Old 01-01-2005, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by MR
Is there a QAM channel map list somewhere?

This may or may not help you, but I went ahead and checked the frequency allocation for HD channels, just for curiosity's sake:

513MHz - Starz-HD, Cinemax-HD
537MHz - KWBP-DT, KPTV-DT
549MHz - ESPN-HD, Discovery-HD
615MHz - HBO-HD, Showtime-HD
621MHz - KOPB-DT, *?* (UPN, anyone?)
627MHz - KATU-DT, KGW-DT
639MHz - INHD, INHD2

All QAM256, of course now based upon the QAM channels you've already found, 76 should corrospond to 537MHz, and 91 to 627MHz, which means you should also have a 90.1 (for KOPB on 621MHz); the rest would be encoded.
post #746 of 4859 Old 01-02-2005, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Larry Matasar,

I'm using a Mits-2000 D-VHS via firewire. It only seems to work if the 6412 and 2000 are not connected to anything else via firewire. I have to swap the firewire cable to either my t-165 or 3410a to get playback.

Recording procedure is fairly straight forward, however, you have to be there to get it started.

With the recorder prepared, (blank tape in, tuner set to d) set 6412 to station you wish to record, or, initiate playback of whatever from hdd, then press record on D-VHS.

I have no way of monitoring the recording until it's done.

MR,

I get OPBHD at 90.60 on my 3410a. There's a ton more digital music on 90.whatever so I dumped 90. from my list. If I want OPBHD from cable I just punch-in 90.60.

Moorebid,

What I mentioned fit with ease, but I didn't mention all the rest of the stuff that was already on the hdd or what I had scheduled coming up. There's really not enough time to watch all this stuff. "Lucy, you got some deleting to do!"
post #747 of 4859 Old 01-02-2005, 01:29 PM
MR

Thanks guys!
I'm doing this on a PC and the software is pretty buggy. Chanel 90 reboots my PC. Thanks for confirming that that is indeed where OPB is.

No CBS huh? Read a few pages back that CBS isn't letting Comcast broadcast the stream. That's a bummer. Guess I'll have to bring out the antenna after all.

Thanks,
MR
post #748 of 4859 Old 01-02-2005, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

for those with the 6412 STB, is it not possible to swap tuners while watching a recorded program? In other words I am watching a recorded program and I want to switch to live TV using the other tuner but I was not able to do so without stopping the playback..

What am I doing wrong here??

thanks

m
post #749 of 4859 Old 01-03-2005, 12:40 AM

Yes, it is possible to watch another program even after hitting the "record" button. You need to hit the "swap" key on the remote to switch it to the other tuner.
post #750 of 4859 Old 01-03-2005, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Ah, I tried hitting swap and nothing happened. Once I had stopped recording the swap button worked as advertised. Possibly I was recording programs on both tuners and did not realize that was the case. would swap work if I was recording two shows at once?? I would think so but ????
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page