1Likes

post #901 of 4859 Old 03-15-2005, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by mpsan
Their web site/customer service says HDTV is only $5 more if you have no need for the STB and only need the CableCard.

Great, but I can never get the same answer twice! Now I am told that If I upgrade to digital, they will give me a CableCard instead of the STB and Remote for the $53.99 a Month and if I do not want the STB they don't care.

Welcome to the world of Comcast random pricing. Truth is, their structure is so complicated you seldom get the same answer twice from their CSRs. They simply don't know their own pricing structure very well when you get away from the most common setups.

The $5 is not supposed to be a generic HD charge but the upgrade price from the standard STB to the HD STB. This is the argument they use with Ennis to justify not wanting to pay for their CBSHD feed. If you go with the basic cable, I'd recommend continuing to try until you find a CSR who agrees and then hold them to it.

Digital packages all include an STB so you can refuse the STB but it doesn't save you any money. The STB will allow you to get VOD, the cablecard won't since cablecards are not yet two-way. VOD isn't important enough to me to make up for the inconvenience of yet another box so for a while I had a cablecard-only setup. Being able to time-shift programs is worth a lot to me, however, so I went with the DVR when those came out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 4859 Old 03-15-2005, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

OK, but I am not getting a Cablecard for $10/Month when it only gets me a few more channels.

I would give them $5 but any more than that is just not worth it at this time.

Quote:

Originally posted by doretta
ABCHD will become 704 when you get your cablecard.

post #903 of 4859 Old 03-15-2005, 11:18 AM

Interesting story on the community news thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/print...hreadid=520403

Comcast just cut a deal with TiVo for DVR cable boxes. No word on deployment schedule or PDX availability.

What the story didn't address is the shotgun-wedding nature of the deal. You've got TiVo facing oblivion without an alliance to a big cable provider and Comcast desperately fighting for market share with satellite.

I'd bet that TiVo is providing the boxes at the same kind of commodity pricing that Motorola and others already are to Comcast. Sounds like a good thing all around, though. Comcast gets to make a big deal about having TiVo, TiVo lives on, and consumers get more choices and competition in the marketplace.
post #904 of 4859 Old 03-15-2005, 11:20 AM

Correction on TiVo deployment: mid to late 2006.
post #905 of 4859 Old 03-15-2005, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Davie Mac
Correction on TiVo deployment: mid to late 2006.

I would not hold your breath!!
post #906 of 4859 Old 03-15-2005, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Davie Mac
Interesting story on the community news thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/print...hreadid=520403

Comcast just cut a deal with TiVo for DVR cable boxes. No word on deployment schedule or PDX availability.

What the story didn't address is the shotgun-wedding nature of the deal. You've got TiVo facing oblivion without an alliance to a big cable provider and Comcast desperately fighting for market share with satellite.

I'd bet that TiVo is providing the boxes at the same kind of commodity pricing that Motorola and others already are to Comcast. Sounds like a good thing all around, though. Comcast gets to make a big deal about having TiVo, TiVo lives on, and consumers get more choices and competition in the marketplace.

According to this article
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=582426
the deal is just for the software not the hardware too...
Quote:

The deal calls for TiVo to adapt its software to work on Comcast's existing DVR platform, and it allows TiVo to extend to Comcast subscribers the advertising it sells in the form of interactive video clips that automatically appear in the TiVo menu.

"The chance to combine TiVo's unmatched DVR features and innovative advertising capabilities with the power of Comcast's advanced digital television services presents tremendous opportunities," said Mike Ramsay, TiVo's chairman and chief executive.

Comcast will continue to market its own DVR...

Comcast subscribers who opt for the TiVo service will get such features as "WishList," which recommends and sometimes automatically records shows based on past viewing habits, and the ability to schedule recordings over the Internet. Pricing has not yet been determined for the new Comcast TiVo service, which most existing Comcast DVR subscribers would be able to get through a software upgrade.

So you'll get to pay more to have the TIVO software and additional ads delivered to you.
post #907 of 4859 Old 03-15-2005, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, we got our set yesterday and I have Expanded Basic. YUP...no problem with the "in the clear" HD stations. In fact, I can hardly justify ~10/Month just to get a few more stations.

Quick question for anyone...

Our first HD show was on 10-1 last night at 11PM. Great quality on OPB-HD (10-1) but they left 4 logo's onscreen during the whole show. They kept all four channels up showing OPB in Portland, Eugene, etc.

Is this normal? It sure ruined the show. When someone started talking about the Ford Museum, they would show who he was, but with the Logo's you could not read it. I also worried about burn-in.

Anyway thank you for any answers.
post #908 of 4859 Old 03-15-2005, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Please tell me it was not my new set, but American Idol dropped the sound about 5 times just now. Once during a commercial the picture even froze for a few seconds. The Picture was OK on the show but I would get drop outs in the audio for a few seconds! I think this happened about 5 or 6 times.

TIA
post #909 of 4859 Old 03-16-2005, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

mpsan,

I'm not an idol worshipper so I can't help you there.

Earlier you asked where are the music channels. I suppose it depends how your set identifies QAM channels. On my 3410a some music channels are located at 90-XX.

It's interesting to see you refer to OPB-HD as 10-1 as that is typically the OTA reassigned number from 27-1. My 6412 calls it 710 and my 3410a calls it 90-60, both via QAM cable. Are you doing OTA also?

There are some weird (but good weird) deals going on at comcast if you ask. But as others have noted, you need to know what to ask for. It's kind of like pulling a deal out of a hat. You really don't know what's all in the hat because you have to ask(pull) one at a time. I just changed my service level from digital silver with an expired discount on HBO to digital classic plus with 6 months of free showtime(HD) and TMC for 58 something plus tax. ( This works out to be 1 penny less than digital plus alone)

INHD-1 and INHD-2 are pretty good, BUT, Discovery HD Theater is spectacular. I wouldn't write off these 3 channels until I at least viewed them on my set. And I will also state HD movies on HBO and Showtime are noticeably better than DVD on my plasma.

A question for doretta: Does/did your cable card use the I-Guide? or any guide at all?
post #910 of 4859 Old 03-16-2005, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Please tell me it was not my new set, but American Idol dropped the sound about 5 times just now. Once during a commercial the picture even froze for a few seconds. The Picture was OK on the show but I would get drop outs in the audio for a few seconds! I think this happened about 5 or 6 times.

TIA

Here in Seattle, we experienced the same kinds of audio dropouts (3-5 seconds each, maybe a dozen times?) and some shorter picture freezes near the end of each audio dropout. In my case, I was watching an HD recording of OTA. Others reported seeing the same symptoms while watching Fox on Comcast.

So, not your set.

Dave
post #911 of 4859 Old 03-16-2005, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

WHEW!!! Thanks Dave. I was watching on Comcast here in Portland.

P.S. What do you use to record HD?

TIA,

Dave, too.

Quote:

Originally posted by Budget_HT
Here in Seattle, we experienced the same kinds of audio dropouts (3-5 seconds each, maybe a dozen times?) and some shorter picture freezes near the end of each audio dropout. In my case, I was watching an HD recording of OTA. Others reported seeing the same symptoms while watching Fox on Comcast.

So, not your set.

post #912 of 4859 Old 03-16-2005, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, I do not have OTA, so was using Comcast Only. FOXHD here is 12-1.
PBSHD is 10-1 and the Logo Agrees. BTW, the first HD show my wife and I watched was on Monday night on PBS-HD. It was the Ford Museum show and the pic/sound was GREAT. Except Oregon PBS kept 4 logos on the bottom...like you see in the beginning showing the channel in Portland, Eugene...etc.

I saw that Comcast had an ad during Idol last night and I was recording it in the other room on my ReplatTV, so I still have it. I will look as they had a special Number to get upgraded to digital cable and free Shotime/TMC for 6 months free. With NO install fee. Will that get me the HD channels like Discovery HD?

I wonder if I called and did do this, if they would include a CableCard in my HD set for no charge. I would then put the STB on a nonHD set....but I wonder if Digital Clasic alone and a cable card will get me INHD, etc and Showtime HD on the HD set?

Quote:

Originally posted by lewlew
mpsan,

I'm not an idol worshipper so I can't help you there.

Earlier you asked where are the music channels. I suppose it depends how your set identifies QAM channels. On my 3410a some music channels are located at 90-XX.

It's interesting to see you refer to OPB-HD as 10-1 as that is typically the OTA reassigned number from 27-1. My 6412 calls it 710 and my 3410a calls it 90-60, both via QAM cable. Are you doing OTA also?

There are some weird (but good weird) deals going on at comcast if you ask. But as others have noted, you need to know what to ask for. It's kind of like pulling a deal out of a hat. You really don't know what's all in the hat because you have to ask(pull) one at a time. I just changed my service level from digital silver with an expired discount on HBO to digital classic plus with 6 months of free showtime(HD) and TMC for 58 something plus tax. ( This works out to be 1 penny less than digital plus alone)

INHD-1 and INHD-2 are pretty good, BUT, Discovery HD Theater is spectacular. I wouldn't write off these 3 channels until I at least viewed them on my set. And I will also state HD movies on HBO and Showtime are noticeably better than DVD on my plasma.

A question for doretta: Does/did your cable card use the I-Guide? or any guide at all?

post #913 of 4859 Old 03-16-2005, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

mpsan,

Digital classic alone with a cable card will get you the INHDs and Discovery HD Theater. I'm not sure if you can/ or can't get Showtime & TMC with Digital classic. I'm getting them with Digital classic plus.

You can rent the 6412 dvr from comcast for 9.95/mo if you have at least digital classic. It's a pretty good machine.

Have you tried OTA? It's probably going to be a long time befor we see CBS-HD on comcast.
post #914 of 4859 Old 03-16-2005, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I was just wondering about the promo they had on American Idol. Digital, with 6 mo free Showtime and TMC and free Install. I will ask if the Monthly is > Digital Classic? If so, Showtime/TMC is not exactly free.

Anyway, I tried OTA but only with a small indoor antenna that I could not move much. I may just try again...but the only thing I don't get with Expanded basic (except for iNHD, etc) is CBS.

I wonder why there is such a standoff?

Quote:

Originally posted by lewlew
mpsan,

Digital classic alone with a cable card will get you the INHDs and Discovery HD Theater. I'm not sure if you can/ or can't get Showtime & TMC with Digital classic. I'm getting them with Digital classic plus.

You can rent the 6412 dvr from comcast for 9.95/mo if you have at least digital classic. It's a pretty good machine.

Have you tried OTA? It's probably going to be a long time befor we see CBS-HD on comcast.

post #915 of 4859 Old 03-16-2005, 02:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Also Comcast doesn't carry KPDX (UPN) in HD.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #916 of 4859 Old 03-16-2005, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by scowl

Yeah, but because Enterprise will be history soon who cares?
post #917 of 4859 Old 03-16-2005, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Not sure we watch UPN.

Quote:

post #918 of 4859 Old 03-16-2005, 06:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by mismatched
Yeah, but because Enterprise will be history soon who cares?

I have to admit I'm hooked on that teeny-bopper private investigator Veronica Mars. The plot is intriguing and a lot of the dialog is clever. Veronica is hot, smart, resourceful and even knows the difference between an IP and a MAC address.

post #919 of 4859 Old 03-16-2005, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Veronica is hot, smart, resourceful and even knows the difference between an IP and a MAC address.

Not sure what you're getting at here, esp. with your My Mac has an IP address.

Anyway, I was trying to watch KATU news at 5 and then ABC network news at 6 tonight on 704 and there were frequent audio breakups. I had to switch to 4 analog to hear. Seems there is always something that will keep Alan busy at KATU-DT these nights and days. The earlier problems they had were from network feeds transitioning to/from local spots. But this was from their own source. I didn't get a chance to see if the problem was evident OTA, too. Just hope it doesn't carry into Alias tonight.

Bob
post #920 of 4859 Old 03-16-2005, 08:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by ridgefamus

The is because you wouldn't expect a blond teenaged girl to know the difference between a dynamic IP address and a static Ethernet (MAC) address. Or maybe kids these days know about this stuff.

post #921 of 4859 Old 03-16-2005, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I see. I think they probably know more than we give credit for. My kids are way ahead of me, even my blond daughter. But she's no longer a teenager.

Alias and LOST were fine for me tonight on 704, no audio problems at all. Thanks Alan and KATU, you had me worried there for a bit.
post #922 of 4859 Old 03-17-2005, 03:51 AM
Advanced Member

Looks like we just got the firmware update to 9.15 for our 6412's. The only word I could get out of the CSR to whom I spoke was that it was supposed to remedy some of the freezing-up problems they were seeing. No word on whether the analog tuner crash has been fixed.
post #923 of 4859 Old 03-17-2005, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by ridgefamus

Bob

Yeah but who cares if Veronica is hot and smart!!
post #924 of 4859 Old 03-17-2005, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

WOW...that is HOT!

Quote:

I have to admit I'm hooked on that teeny-bopper private investigator Veronica Mars. The plot is intriguing and a lot of the dialog is clever. Veronica is hot, smart, resourceful and even knows the difference between an IP and a MAC address.

post #925 of 4859 Old 03-20-2005, 07:18 PM

Is there a list of comcast provied QAM channels for portland?

Specifically I'm looking for channel # and frequency.

Are these QAM64 or QAM256?

thanks
post #926 of 4859 Old 03-20-2005, 07:46 PM

Quote:

OK, but I am not getting a Cablecard for $10/Month when it only gets me a few more channels.

I would give them $5 but any more than that is just not worth it at this time.

My cablecard isn't costing me anything. Last I looked that was the policy here, no monthly charge at all for a cablecard.
post #927 of 4859 Old 03-21-2005, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Watching ABC News at 6PM on 704 and sound keeps cutting out. Seems like it is only this channel. Anyone notice this tonite?? Seems like I have read sound cutout reports for channel 704 on this thread previously.

thanks group!!
post #928 of 4859 Old 03-22-2005, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Correct, once you have Digital Service. I was told I could go from Expanded Basic to Digital for &9.95. IF I did not want the Box and remote they would give me Digital and a cableCard for $5. Now that I have the TV, they will not do it.

Quote:
Originally posted by doretta
My cablecard isn't costing me anything. Last I looked that was the policy here, no monthly charge at all for a cablecard.

post #929 of 4859 Old 03-22-2005, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Just saw a CableGuy in our neighborhood. As I was asking about this cablecard issue and Expanded basic, I mentioned I would only get a few more HD channels to go digital. He said I was getting no HD now. He said HD was ch 700+. I agree but my ATSC/QAM tuner in my TV is getting 2-1, 10-1, etc and it IS HD. He said I can't be getting them. Here we go again.

He also said that they hope by the end of the quarter that the whole system will be Digital Classic at the least and that getting what I want may be a go as he expects the packages to go down in price.

Anyone hear about this?
post #930 of 4859 Old 03-22-2005, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
He also said that they hope by the end of the quarter that the whole system will be Digital Classic at the least and that getting what I want may be a go as he expects the packages to go down in price.

Anyone hear about this?

To what he's referring is the digital simulcast of all current analog channels by about mid-year, but that won't eliminate expanded basic. I sincerely doubt that prices will be adjusted, at least until analog is completely dumped, and even then, I doubt they'll knock the price down to the same level why bother, when they can just squeeze some more blood from that stone. *shrug*
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page