post #1081 of 4859 Old 04-29-2005, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by mpsan
OK, I guess they caught it here! INHD1 and INHD2 are gone from Expanded basic. They are no longer in the clear. Do they ever come back?

Actually, I'd forgotten about that according to this post, apparantly they did have the INHD's in the clear, on channel 73 (520MHz), at least on the West side. However, this post seems to suggest that such was not the case on the East side. Regardless, they do have it encrypted on 639MHz (channel 93), at least on the East side. So for a time there, either they were running both INHD's in duplicate, which would suggest they have more bandwidth than they're letting on or they really are running completely different frequency allocation between East and West. Either way, a confusing mismatch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 4859 Old 04-29-2005, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

So, I wonder if they will come back? Was this an unadvertised promo?
post #1083 of 4859 Old 04-29-2005, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

lewlew...mine went away, has yours??

Quote:

Originally posted by lewlew
I don't know how long it's been like this but mpsan convinced me to look at 73.1 and 73.3. They are INHD1 and INHD2 respectively. I don't know if this is a free trial, mistake, or the way it's going to stay but it's "in the clear QAM" for the moment.

post #1084 of 4859 Old 04-30-2005, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

OK...this is from the Comcast Local web site...

Dual Tuner DVR
If Dual Tuner DVR is available, when you subscribe to DVR, Comcast will provide you with a Motorola DCT 6412 digital cable and high-definition receiver with a built-in DVR.

What does DVR cost?
DVR service costs just $9.95 a month per unit beyond the cost of your current Comcast Digital Cable subscription.

SO, I assume that we have the dual tuner and WILL get the 6412's.

Second, what is all this talk about the second DVR costing $19.90???
post #1085 of 4859 Old 04-30-2005, 07:51 PM

Hi all you other AVS Portlanders!

I'm moving into a new apartment a week from today, and I'll be setting up a full Comcast HD and high-speed internet service with them. My roomate and I are probably going to go for the Platinum or Gold package.

I'm new to HD (other than following the specific technologies in the televisions themselves) and want to know what exactly to ask Comcast for when I sign up. We won't be getting a PVR, so is there a specific cable box that we should ask for? DVI is pretty much a necessity in my opinion.

Also, what's the best deal I can get with a combined tv and internet package? I noticed that you get $10 off each month for having them both, but it has been my experience in the past that these things are often negotiable or can be haggled down a bit.

Thanks!
post #1086 of 4859 Old 04-30-2005, 08:03 PM

Other Comcast HD customers probably got the same promotional card that I did, in the mail today. It flatly states that I can get a DVR delivered and installed free and it will cost only $5. more than my non-recording HD tuner box does now. It's addressed to me personally and it implies they know I already have HD service, so it obviously was generated from their customer files. However, in their micro-sized print at the bottom, that only the eagle-eyed could read without a magnifier, it says you need at least Digital Classic service to get a DVR. So, the card lies, as it applies to me, as this would cost me about $46. a month more than my present $22. (Limited Basic plus HD tuner rent). I think I'll just walk into a local office, plop the card on the counter and say that I'll take the $5. deal that it offers me and see what happens.

Steve McDonald

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1087 of 4859 Old 05-01-2005, 03:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

OK...this is from the Comcast Local web site...

Dual Tuner DVR
If Dual Tuner DVR is available, when you subscribe to DVR, Comcast will provide you with a Motorola DCT 6412 digital cable and high-definition receiver with a built-in DVR.

What does DVR cost?
DVR service costs just $9.95 a month per unit beyond the cost of your current Comcast Digital Cable subscription.

SO, I assume that we have the dual tuner and WILL get the 6412's.

Second, what is all this talk about the second DVR costing $19.90???

Ok, let's separate the costs out a bit, shall we?

Let's say you're a digital subscriber, and you get a single standard-definition digital cable box. That box will cost you nothing, you'll just pay the subscription rate for the package.

Now let's say, instead of the SD box, you opt for an HD box. They'll charge you $5/mo to rent that box. If you opt for the DVR, it's $9.95.

Now forgetting entirely about box rental, if you opt to get a second receiver, regardless of which receiver it is, they'll charge you a $9.95 "additional outlet" fee. So if it's an SD box, it's $9.95; if it's an HD box, it's $14.95 ($5 + $9.95); and if it's a DVR, it's $19.90 ($9.95 + $9.95). Now does it make sense?

Apparantly this is not a universal policy, as some people back East claim to be paying ~$15 for their second DVR's, others claim that for their first DVR's. It's a quagmire, to be sure, but it's what we have.

Of course, none of these rules apply to analog, and if Comcast hopes to remain competitive after the digital switchover (hell, why not start with the simulcast?), they're going to have to significantly reduce that cost. JQ6P isn't going to want to pay $50/mo in "Additional Outlet" fees to keep every television in his house hooked up. The Dish companies have been getting away with $5/mo per additional receiver for a decade, I imagine cable will likely do the same.

Quote:

Originally posted by CUclimber
Hi all you other AVS Portlanders!

I'm moving into a new apartment a week from today, and I'll be setting up a full Comcast HD and high-speed internet service with them. My roomate and I are probably going to go for the Platinum or Gold package.

I'm new to HD (other than following the specific technologies in the televisions themselves) and want to know what exactly to ask Comcast for when I sign up. We won't be getting a PVR, so is there a specific cable box that we should ask for? DVI is pretty much a necessity in my opinion.

If you decide to go Platinum, I'd ask for the "Platinum Plus" package, which for an extra $2/mo includes all the same content as "Platinum," but also adds in the Digital Extra channels, the full sports package (at least for NBA, I believe MLB as well), and - most importantly if you intend to run 2 televisions - no "Additional Outlet" fee on the second receiver. So if you just wanted HD tuners, they'd be $5/ea for the first two, or you could get a DVR and an SD box for the same price. Either way, you'd be saving money vs. Platinum

Quote:

Also, what's the best deal I can get with a combined tv and internet package? I noticed that you get $10 off each month for having them both, but it has been my experience in the past that these things are often negotiable or can be haggled down a bit.

The $10/mo off is standard for combined TV/HSI accounts. However, they're regularly running promotions for discounts on the monthly HSI fee. $19.95 for 3 months is common; recently they've been advertising $14.95 for 3 months (that may have expired yesterday, but you might still be able to talk them into it). I've also seen $19.95 for 6 months offered, but I can't recall anywhere else but through Dell when one orders a computer. Might try asking for that, though.

Also, if you can get your hands on at least an old dish receiver and/or dish for cheap (might try Goodwill or the like, the receiver is key, though), you can use the "Dish Buy-back" program to get $25/mo credited to your bill for 16 months. They'll take the receiver and/or dish when they do the install.
post #1088 of 4859 Old 05-01-2005, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank you...It sure is not easy!
post #1089 of 4859 Old 05-02-2005, 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Steve McD
Other Comcast HD customers probably got the same promotional card that I did, in the mail today. It flatly states that I can get a DVR delivered and installed free and it will cost only $5. more than my non-recording HD tuner box does now. It's addressed to me personally and it implies they know I already have HD service, so it obviously was generated from their customer files. However, in their micro-sized print at the bottom, that only the eagle-eyed could read without a magnifier, it says you need at least Digital Classic service to get a DVR. So, the card lies, as it applies to me, as this would cost me about $46. a month more than my present $22. (Limited Basic plus HD tuner rent). I think I'll just walk into a local office, plop the card on the counter and say that I'll take the $5. deal that it offers me and see what happens.

We got the same card in the mail claiming $5 more for duel tuner. We only have classic service along with HD service. I read the fine print too, and wondered what the true cost would be.

We called friday evening and sure enough it was only $5 more a month (plus a $15 install fee.) Comcast showed up at 2pm the next day (Sat) and swapped boxes. Works great, duel tuner & record HD. Thats a $700+ box with DishNetwork!
post #1090 of 4859 Old 05-02-2005, 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bterhune
We got the same card in the mail claiming $5 more for duel tuner. We only have classic service along with HD service. I read the fine print too, and wondered what the true cost would be.

We called friday evening and sure enough it was only $5 more a month (plus a $15 install fee.) Comcast showed up at 2pm the next day (Sat) and swapped boxes. Works great, duel tuner & record HD. Thats a $700+ box with DishNetwork!

------------------------------------------------------------

But, the card in the mail said free delivery and installation for the DVR. Since your level of service met the requirements stated in the fine print, you shouldn't have had to pay the $15. installation fee.

Steve McDonald

post #1091 of 4859 Old 05-03-2005, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Hello ALL:

Quick question. We are getting two 6412's Sunday and an HD box. I know about the 6412's but I am not sure which HD box they give us in Portland. Is it the DCT5100? I ask as I wonder if that has Component video as well.

P.S. I wonder if my 6412's will have the Silver remote with the swap button and what our areas latest Firmware is? I hear 9.15 fixes many issues and that 9.17 is out now.

TIA
post #1092 of 4859 Old 05-03-2005, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I had an HD box before I got my 6412. The one I had was a 6200. It did have component video outputs.

My 6412 has firmware version 9.15. (edit). BTW, the 9.15 firmware does not fix all the problems, especially the issue of deleting two individual episodes of series that are both set to record at the same time. You can delete one, but not the other. Deleting the other turns the first back on. etc. This is still an issue.

The remote I have is the silver one with the swap button. However, that is not the one they initially delivered with the 6412 (a black one). The black one also has a swap button (or at least, the ability to swap), but it does not have the ability to be programmed for the 30-second skip (which is the real reason you want one). I had to specifically request the silver one (and then I couldn't just go and pick it up, they had to deliver it and of course charge me for that trip). This was a few months ago, so they may now give everyone the silver remote. However, it may not hurt to specifically request it. And if they tell you they don't have those in Portland, tell them you know someone who has one. That's what I had to do.
post #1093 of 4859 Old 05-03-2005, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank you. They gave me the order # so I guess I can call and specify that I want 2 silver remotes with the swap button for the 6412's. Is that specific enough?

So, If I record American Idol Tuesday and Wednesday is that going to show the problem? How do you get rid of the problem you have?

Quote:
Originally posted by crossbeaux
I had an HD box before I got my 6412. The one I had was a 6200. It did have component video outputs.

My 6412 has firmware version 9.15. (edit). BTW, the 9.15 firmware does not fix all the problems, especially the issue of deleting two individual episodes of series that are both set to record at the same time. You can delete one, but not the other. Deleting the other turns the first back on. etc. This is still an issue.

The remote I have is the silver one with the swap button. However, that is not the one they initially delivered with the 6412 (a black one). The black one also has a swap button (or at least, the ability to swap), but it does not have the ability to be programmed for the 30-second skip (which is the real reason you want one). I had to specifically request the silver one (and then I couldn't just go and pick it up, they had to deliver it and of course charge me for that trip). This was a few months ago, so they may now give everyone the silver remote. However, it may not hurt to specifically request it. And if they tell you they don't have those in Portland, tell them you know someone who has one. That's what I had to do.

post #1094 of 4859 Old 05-03-2005, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think they'll know what you're talking about if you specify silver remote.

You should have no problem with Idol. My problem is different. i.e. suppose you set up both Daily Show and Monk to record as series. Of course, because of iGuide issues, the box records too many of the reruns in addition to first run eps. So, I go in tell it not to record the individual episodes I know are reruns or something I've already seen. However, if both DS and Monk are set to record at 5:00PM on a certain day, and I tell the box not to record one of them, that's fine. However, if I then tell the box not to record the other, it then thinks it has to record the first one. If I tell it not to record the first, it then thinks it must record the second. And back and forth. Not the worst problem in the world, but not fixable. You just let it record one of them and then delete it later.
post #1095 of 4859 Old 05-03-2005, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
We are getting two 6412's Sunday and an HD box.

Wow, that's quite the turnaround. Going from "not sure if it's worth it" for 1 DVR and 3 CableCards to two DVR's and an additional HD tuner box. That's going to run you ~$45 without any discounts. What deal did you swing? And why the HD tuner, why not just a CableCard? (VOD isn't that valuable, is it?)

Quote:
Quote:
the 9.15 firmware does not fix all the problems, especially the issue of deleting two individual episodes of series that are both set to record at the same time. You can delete one, but not the other. Deleting the other turns the first back on. etc. This is still an issue.

So, If I record American Idol Tuesday and Wednesday is that going to show the problem?

No, the problem to which he refers is when two or more different "series recordings" timers are scheduled to record at the same time. If you tell it not to record one of them, that's fine, it won't record that one; but if you tell it not to record the other, then it re-enables the first one. It's called the "Whack-a-Mole." It gets even more complicated when there are 3 or more. I believe I've even run into the problem across adjacent time slots.

I doubt, however, that's a firmware issue; it's more likely to be the front-end software at fault, which hasn't been updated since the boxes shipped.
post #1096 of 4859 Old 05-03-2005, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank you all. I love it...Whack-a-Mole!

Yes, they kept up the "every time I call I get a different answer mode" and the last go around they told me to just go out and buy a cablecard from Video Only! How do you answer that.

I got the free highspeed (6MB I think) offer for 3 months free and tried the CableModem option on their 800 number (ie: not TV). The guy told me what it would cost after 3 months and I said, I will think about it. He asked if he could help me with anything else and I said "you don't want to know". He said to ask away and I asked if he could help with TV. He said Yup.

He looked at my account and said...WOW, they sure have quoted all kinds of things, HUH!

He went to his manager...it was Manager of Oregon and Western Washington and they gave me a great deal!!!

OH, why the HD box (is that a 6200 or 5100?) instead of a CC? They said they would just do it so I could get On Demand, etc in the Bedroom.

Actually, if there is any place to get that it is there...not sure what is on it however. Is there any free HD ondemand?

Quote:
Originally posted by Moorebid
Wow, that's quite the turnaround. Going from "not sure if it's worth it" for 1 DVR and 3 CableCards to two DVR's and an additional HD tuner box. That's going to run you ~$45 without any discounts. What deal did you swing? And why the HD tuner, why not just a CableCard? (VOD isn't that valuable, is it?)

So, If I record American Idol Tuesday and Wednesday is that going to show the problem?

No, the problem to which he refers is when two or more different "series recordings" timers are scheduled to record at the same time. If you tell it not to record one of them, that's fine, it won't record that one; but if you tell it not to record the other, then it re-enables the first one. It's called the "Whack-a-Mole." It gets even more complicated when there are 3 or more. I believe I've even run into the problem across adjacent time slots.

I doubt, however, that's a firmware issue; it's more likely to be the front-end software at fault, which hasn't been updated since the boxes shipped.
[/quote]
post #1097 of 4859 Old 05-03-2005, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I did call and asked for the Silver Remote with the swap button. Also, they have 6200's for HD boxes and she requested that as well. Would there be an advantage of the 6200 over the older 5100??

Quote:
I think they'll know what you're talking about if you specify silver remote.

You should have no problem with Idol. My problem is different. i.e. suppose you set up both Daily Show and Monk to record as series. Of course, because of iGuide issues, the box records too many of the reruns in addition to first run eps. So, I go in tell it not to record the individual episodes I know are reruns or something I've already seen. However, if both DS and Monk are set to record at 5:00PM on a certain day, and I tell the box not to record one of them, that's fine. However, if I then tell the box not to record the other, it then thinks it has to record the first one. If I tell it not to record the first, it then thinks it must record the second. And back and forth. Not the worst problem in the world, but not fixable. You just let it record one of them and then delete it later.

post #1098 of 4859 Old 05-03-2005, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
they kept up the "every time I call I get a different answer mode" and the last go around they told me to just go out and buy a cablecard from Video Only! How do you answer that.

"Video Only doesn't sell CableCards." I was 95% certain of that, but to be sure, I actually called Video Only to confirm they laughed when I told them a Comcast CSR had said to buy one from them. No, you have to get the CableCard from Comcast.

Quote:
I got the free highspeed (6MB I think) offer for 3 months free and tried the CableModem option on their 800 number (ie: not TV). The guy told me what it would cost after 3 months and I said, I will think about it.

That's a free upgrade from the standard Comcast HSI to "HSI Pro" (or whatever they're calling it now), but you're still paying $42.95/mo for it, right? ($45.95 a month if you lease the modem.) I dunno if you need that extra speed, but it's still a better deal to get the $14.95/mo for 3 months (which just expired yesterday, according to the commercials, but I'm still seeing them run. ) or $19.95 for 6 months if you can swing it. Even existing customers can get the free upgrade.

Quote:
He asked if he could help me with anything else and I said "you don't want to know". He said to ask away and I asked if he could help with TV. He said Yup.

He looked at my account and said...WOW, they sure have quoted all kinds of things, HUH!

He went to his manager...it was Manager of Oregon and Western Washington and they gave me a great deal!!!

Just out of curiousity, which number had you been calling? I've always had better fortune calling the local customer service (888-824-8264) than any of the national numbers. For whatever reason, Comcast Beaverton just seems better informed.

Quote:
OH, why the HD box (is that a 6200 or 5100?) instead of a CC? They said they would just do it so I could get On Demand, etc in the Bedroom.

I figured as much, but I would wonder if it was worth the extra $10/mo for it. Or did you swing a deal?

Quote:
Actually, if there is any place to get that it is there...not sure what is on it however. Is there any free HD ondemand?

Again, no just Dreamworks movies ($5.99 ea.) and old(er) IMAX documentaries ($3.99 ea), most of which run with some regularity on the INHD's.
post #1099 of 4859 Old 05-03-2005, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I thought that I made it clear that when they suggested that I could get a CC at VideoOnly (Best Buy, too) I knew it was time to go!

The HD box is about free. I see there are many free On Demand things. I believe they are things you could have recorded anyway, but I do see some value as sometimes we will watch a series. The other night we saw modern marvels. I see that On Demand has many of them available.

I call 1-800-comcast. 1-888-comcast seems to take me to the same place.

OH, yes, HSI stays at your current rate when they up you to pro, but they did not say how much it was after the 90 days. I would have liked the 768k upload as I work from home (VPN) and do upload larger files to our servers at work.

Quote:
"Video Only doesn't sell CableCards." I was 95% certain of that, but to be sure, I actually called Video Only to confirm they laughed when I told them a Comcast CSR had said to buy one from them. No, you have to get the CableCard from Comcast.

That's a free upgrade from the standard Comcast HSI to "HSI Pro" (or whatever they're calling it now), but you're still paying $42.95/mo for it, right? ($45.95 a month if you lease the modem.) I dunno if you need that extra speed, but it's still a better deal to get the $14.95/mo for 3 months (which just expired yesterday, according to the commercials, but I'm still seeing them run. ) or $19.95 for 6 months if you can swing it. Even existing customers can get the free upgrade.

Just out of curiousity, which number had you been calling? I've always had better fortune calling the local customer service (888-824-8264) than any of the national numbers. For whatever reason, Comcast Beaverton just seems better informed.

I figured as much, but I would wonder if it was worth the extra $10/mo for it. Or did you swing a deal?

Again, no just Dreamworks movies ($5.99 ea.) and old(er) IMAX documentaries ($3.99 ea), most of which run with some regularity on the INHD's.

post #1100 of 4859 Old 05-03-2005, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, I thought that I made it clear that when they suggested that I could get a CC at VideoOnly (Best Buy, too) I knew it was time to go!

I must have missed the sarcasm. If I could've heard Richard Tyson going, "Now, how can you argue with that?" from Kindergarten Cop, I would've keyed in immediately.

Quote:

The HD box is about free.

Yeah, I'm curious how you swung that. Or are you paying $19.90 on each of the DVR's? Either way, it's still ~$45/mo just for hardware.

Quote:

I see there are many free On Demand things. I believe they are things you could have recorded anyway, but I do see some value as sometimes we will watch a series. The other night we saw modern marvels. I see that On Demand has many of them available.

Sure, there's plenty of content OnDemand (especially from the premiums, if you subscribe to them), just none of it in HD.

Quote:

I call 1-800-comcast. 1-888-comcast seems to take me to the same place.

I used to dial the old TCI@Home number, 888-262-6300 (which just redirects to 888-COMCAST now), while I only had cable Internet (going on 6 years now), but they were clueless about the television end.

Quote:

OH, yes, HSI stays at your current rate when they up you to pro, but they did not say how much it was after the 90 days.

It's $10/mo more than whatever you're paying now. It varies depending upon whether or not you're a TV subscriber and/or lease your modem.

Quote:

I would have liked the 768k upload as I work from home (VPN) and do upload larger files to our servers at work.

Yeah, that's the biggest selling point to me too, but I was getting by with 128kbps, 256kbps gave us some breathing room; 384kbps has been quite enough. There'd be rare occasion where 768kbps is necessary. But then I don't VPN (yet) I also don't have a job, though.
post #1101 of 4859 Old 05-03-2005, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

anyone notice that Medium on NBC last night at 10PM came through in letter box format instead of full screen HD?? I checked my recording of 24 on Fox that I recorded just prior to Medium and it was recorded in "full screen" and not letterbox.
post #1102 of 4859 Old 05-04-2005, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Some OnDemand may be OK as I had said. It is OK if you catch something that was a series like Modern Marvels.

I do own my own Cable Modem. I do not want to go to +$10 more. Verizon has put FTTP/FIOS to our house and should be done very soon. They have been out here for a month now!

Also, I am not paying $45/Month for equipment only, but will not quote on public Forum.

Quote:

I must have missed the sarcasm. If I could've heard Richard Tyson going, "Now, how can you argue with that?" from Kindergarten Cop, I would've keyed in immediately.

Yeah, I'm curious how you swung that. Or are you paying $19.90 on each of the DVR's? Either way, it's still ~$45/mo just for hardware.

Sure, there's plenty of content OnDemand (especially from the premiums, if you subscribe to them), just none of it in HD.

I used to dial the old TCI@Home number, 888-262-6300 (which just redirects to 888-COMCAST now), while I only had cable Internet (going on 6 years now), but they were clueless about the television end.

It's $10/mo more than whatever you're paying now. It varies depending upon whether or not you're a TV subscriber and/or lease your modem.

Yeah, that's the biggest selling point to me too, but I was getting by with 128kbps, 256kbps gave us some breathing room; 384kbps has been quite enough. There'd be rare occasion where 768kbps is necessary. But then I don't VPN (yet) I also don't have a job, though.

post #1103 of 4859 Old 05-04-2005, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Verizon has put FTTP/FIOS to our house and should be done very soon. They have been out here for a month now!

I'd take that $8/mo hit for 15mbps down/2mbps up! *drool* @#$%in' Qwest!

Quote:

Also, I am not paying $45/Month for equipment only, but will not quote on public Forum.

Aww, now that's hardly fair. We all share our deals in this forum, we helped you understand your options now you're going to Bogart the deal? C'mon
post #1104 of 4859 Old 05-04-2005, 06:30 PM

Excuse me being off the topic, but I thought I'd share with any other local early adopters out there:

Anyway, the Harmony 880 remote is getting rave reviews and it is hard to get a hold of. Supposedly Best Buy has an exclusive on it, so they are the only option for the time being. Best Busy Beaverton and Portland stores have them in stock for $249. I've got another one pre-ordered for $160, so if for some reason the Best Buy remote doesn't work out, I can always return it and keep the one for $160, if you know what I mean.

That's it. The 880 is available if you're willing to pay.

--Mark
post #1105 of 4859 Old 05-04-2005, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

...and on remotecentral some say that BestBuy will price match. One person said he got it for $180. YMMV!

Quote:

Originally posted by markemery
Excuse me being off the topic, but I thought I'd share with any other local early adopters out there:

Anyway, the Harmony 880 remote is getting rave reviews and it is hard to get a hold of. Supposedly Best Buy has an exclusive on it, so they are the only option for the time being. Best Busy Beaverton and Portland stores have them in stock for $249. I've got another one pre-ordered for $160, so if for some reason the Best Buy remote doesn't work out, I can always return it and keep the one for $160, if you know what I mean.

That's it. The 880 is available if you're willing to pay.

--Mark

post #1106 of 4859 Old 05-04-2005, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, Verizon is saying $39/Month. Not 15MB, but faster than Comcast and 2MB UP!!

OK, but I got a special as I was being messed with since February. Let's just say Classic +$20!!

Quote:

I'd take that $8/mo hit for 15mbps down/2mbps up! *drool* @#$%in' Qwest!

Aww, now that's hardly fair. We all share our deals in this forum, we helped you understand your options now you're going to Bogart the deal? C'mon

post #1107 of 4859 Old 05-05-2005, 02:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, Verizon is saying $39/Month. Not 15MB, but faster than Comcast and 2MB UP!!

Yeah, it's $39.95 for 5mbps, $49.95 for 15 ($199.95 for 30/5). Both are 2mbps up. What I'd like to know is, if you subscribe to the 5mbps plan, how do they handle the delivery of HD content on that connection? Or do they require the 15mbps (which could be a bit light as well, unless they're converting to MPEG-4/AVC)? Or maybe their television service uses its own connection so many possibilities, so much yearning for those possibilities. Damn, I've gotta move

Quote:

OK, but I got a special as I was being messed with since February. Let's just say Classic +$20!!

So you're saving $25/mo, which could fall under the category of Dish Buy-Back. You sure that's not a limited-time promotion? $25/mo off for 16 months, perhaps?
post #1108 of 4859 Old 05-05-2005, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

It is limited time. But, after that there will be lots more options!

Also, I believe that, like our comcast cablemodem's the ISP can provision them for less than full speed. So, Verizon can go at top speed only if you pay, whereas TV will get whatever it takes for the level you subscribe to.

Quote:

Yeah, it's $39.95 for 5mbps, $49.95 for 15 ($199.95 for 30/5). Both are 2mbps up. What I'd like to know is, if you subscribe to the 5mbps plan, how do they handle the delivery of HD content on that connection? Or do they require the 15mbps (which could be a bit light as well, unless they're converting to MPEG-4/AVC)? Or maybe their television service uses its own connection so many possibilities, so much yearning for those possibilities. Damn, I've gotta move

So you're saving $25/mo, which could fall under the category of Dish Buy-Back. You sure that's not a limited-time promotion? $25/mo off for 16 months, perhaps?

post #1109 of 4859 Old 05-07-2005, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

So, I get my upgrade tomorrow.

Quick question as I do not see it anywhere in the user guides...

If I connect the Digital Audio output (Coax or Optical) will this be a fixed output on the 6412 and 6200 DCT's ?

I wish to have the Surround system control it and when I do not want the surround system on, it is OK if the L/R audio output (that I will connect to the HDTV) is then set by the DCT's Vol control.
post #1110 of 4859 Old 05-08-2005, 04:56 AM
Advanced Member

That is correct, the S/PDIF outputs are fixed, affected only by the cable box's "Mute" setting (for which you'll want to program a button on your remote to control). It would still be preferable to me if I could set the analog's to be fixed as well, as my television has its own volume setting. I know it wasn't that long ago relatively speaking that televisions didn't have remotes, but c'mon even my Grandmother's 20-year-old console TV was finally retired. It's time to let go.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page