Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1171 of 4865 Old 05-25-2005, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, I thought that was the issue as it did correct itself. I checked in-band and had no uncorrectables today. I sure hope stuff gets "fixed" soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsar Chasm View Post

Definitely transmission. This happens all the time on HD channels over cable. Too often, sadly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 4865 Old 05-29-2005, 11:03 PM

Tonight on Comcast in Eugene, "Titanic" on NBC and "Double Jeopardy" on CBS are being shown in SD on the HD channels. Is the same thing happening in the Portland area? Actually, since KOIN doesn't put HD on Comcast there, I guess only the NBC part of that question is valid. Does anyone also receive these HD channels OTA in this region and are these movies also being broadcast in SD? Is this a new trend and can we expect more movies in all the glory of SDTV?
post #1173 of 4865 Old 05-30-2005, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

As I skipped by "Titanic" KOIN HD OTA I noticed it had sidebars.
post #1174 of 4865 Old 05-30-2005, 11:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 22
NBC has never shown "Titianic" in HD.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #1175 of 4865 Old 06-04-2005, 01:13 PM

I hope this is not too far off subject, but it does pertain to Comcast in the Portland area.

I have a ASTC in my tv, have had trouble with the Motorola card, supposedly Comcast has figured out how to make it work. They will be out next week to make changes.

The installer said that Samsung or Sanyo (I don't remember what she said) will be coming out with a cable card in the near future that will be interactive, you will be able to use the channel guide and on demand features.
post #1176 of 4865 Old 06-04-2005, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, the new CableCard is two way, but not going to work in current CC1 slots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davg View Post

I hope this is not too far off subject, but it does pertain to Comcast in the Portland area.

I have a ASTC in my tv, have had trouble with the Motorola card, supposedly Comcast has figured out how to make it work. They will be out next week to make changes.

The installer said that Samsung or Sanyo (I don't remember what she said) will be coming out with a cable card in the near future that will be interactive, you will be able to use the channel guide and on demand features.

post #1177 of 4865 Old 06-05-2005, 01:37 AM

I just found this forum so sorry if this has already been brought up.

I have had Comcast HD for a while now and whenever there is a lot of motion on the screen at one time the picture breaks up. During the summer olympics this happened a lot During the swimming events because they show close-ups with water splashing everywhere. Has anyone else experienced the picture break up?

Also, I saw earlier posts about signal strength, I have looked at my box and everything seems fine but is there ideal numbers that I should make sure I have?

Thanks,
Sean

Pioneer Elite PRO-530 HD
DCT5100
Pioneer Elite VSX-41 Multi-Channel Receiver
B&W 300 series speakers
post #1178 of 4865 Old 06-06-2005, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't seen the breakup problem you are referring to. Anyone else? It would be helpful to know details of what your setup is. Sounds like you have one of the older boxes if you were watching olympics. Call Comcast for an exchange...you ARE paying for it.

Regarding signal strength, I have seen in 3 homes now where signal strength was actually too strong (amplified noise). A simple 3-way splitter in the line quickly attenuated the problem. In another house I owned, I need to put an amplifier in-line to get a decent signal on a long run. Clearly, there are variations in signal strength within Portland.
post #1179 of 4865 Old 06-06-2005, 04:16 PM

1080i (what nbc uses), handles motion horribly. that's why fox, espn, and abc all went with the 720p hd format because of amount of sports programming they do.

what you saw during the olympics was unfortunately normal, and had nothing to do with your cable box and/or signal.
post #1180 of 4865 Old 06-06-2005, 05:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxer View Post

what you saw during the olympics was unfortunately normal, and had nothing to do with your cable box and/or signal.

That pixelated 25 fps mess that NBC passed off as HD during the Olympics was far from normal. If you've ever seen a football or basketball game on CBS, you know that proper 1080i at a normal bitrate doesn't look like that.

post #1181 of 4865 Old 06-06-2005, 06:25 PM

Thanks,

Yeah, I haven't seen any live events on nbc that impressed me at all. I have the DCT 5100 and it has worked great for me. My SNR is about 21dB, I assume that is the signal strength since it is the only thing that changes value. Is there anything else in the menu that is of importance?

Sean

Pioneer Elite PRO-530 HD
DCT5100
Pioneer Elite VSX-41 Multi-Channel Receiver
B&W 300 series speakers
post #1182 of 4865 Old 06-07-2005, 11:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

A couple of years ago NBC shocked everyone by broadcasting an auto race in HD (with some SD cameras but mostly HD). It looked very good and autoracing is really hard to compress.

post #1183 of 4865 Old 06-07-2005, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I have 3 HD boxes. Two of them 6412's. Yesterday PBS-HD was gone and just now DiscoveryHD left the building. Why is this so hard?

UPDATE...

OK, it is back. Same as what happened with PBS-HD. It is as if the show did not come across the feed and it gets fixed with the next program.
post #1184 of 4865 Old 06-07-2005, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Itoo had REAL problems last night for the first time ever - I was watching Bio of Martin Luther on CH10 in HD - started having intermittent loss of sound and picture - - - ended up changing channels. I wrote CH10 today to tell them what happened - they said no one else reported problems in my area. ??????
post #1185 of 4865 Old 06-07-2005, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I am not sure if it was Comcast or PBS-HD but the other ComCast HD stations were OK at the time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberized View Post

Itoo had REAL problems last night for the first time ever - I was watching Bio of Martin Luther on CH10 in HD - started having intermittent loss of sound and picture - - - ended up changing channels. I wrote CH10 today to tell them what happened - they said no one else reported problems in my area. ??????

post #1186 of 4865 Old 06-07-2005, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsan View Post

Well, I am not sure if it was Comcast or PBS-HD but the other ComCast HD stations were OK at the time!

FWIW, I was channel surfing OTA last night and noticed I could get 10-2 (Antiques Roadshow fund raiser) but there was no signal for 10-1 as I passed by it. Since I was just surfing, I didn't try to adjust my antenna to see if that was the problem. I think this was during the 8 - 9 timeslot. So it may not have been an exclusively Comcast problem. I also didn't switch over to Comcast to check it out.

I was more pi$$ed that Comcast wouldn't deliver the NBA playoff games on TNT-HD.
post #1187 of 4865 Old 06-07-2005, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess that I am a little surprised at this stage of TV and HDTV broadcasting that HD seems like a crapshoot!! To think I pay $75 a Month for this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgefamus View Post

FWIW, I was channel surfing OTA last night and noticed I could get 10-2 (Antiques Roadshow fund raiser) but there was no signal for 10-1 as I passed by it. Since I was just surfing, I didn't try to adjust my antenna to see if that was the problem. I think this was during the 8 - 9 timeslot. So it may not have been an exclusively Comcast problem. I also didn't switch over to Comcast to check it out.

I was more pi$$ed that Comcast wouldn't deliver the NBA playoff games on TNT-HD.

post #1188 of 4865 Old 06-07-2005, 10:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I guess that I am a little surprised at this stage of TV and HDTV broadcasting that HD seems like a crapshoot!! To think I pay $75 a Month for this!

That's why OTA is a better deal at this point. At least I don't feel like I'm being ripped off when a station can't do HD (like KWBP for the past few months).

post #1189 of 4865 Old 06-07-2005, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

That's why OTA is a better deal at this point. At least I don't feel like I'm being ripped off when a station can't do HD (like KWBP for the past few months).

not in Boston.

We get ABC,CBS,Fox,NBC,PBS,UPN,AND WB in HD!

Plus the old ESPN,TNT,Discovery HD,Cinemax,HBO,Starz,showtime,INHD,INHD2 and oodles of Red Sox and home Celtic games.
post #1190 of 4865 Old 06-08-2005, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

...however, I do like INHD1 and 2 and DiscoveryHD. I did try a small indoor antenna and do not get a signal strong enough for HD.

Quote:

post #1191 of 4865 Old 06-08-2005, 11:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitchatjf View Post

not in Boston.

Shoo shoo! Back to the Boston, MA thread!

post #1192 of 4865 Old 06-08-2005, 11:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

...however, I do like INHD1 and 2 and DiscoveryHD. I did try a small indoor antenna and do not get a signal strong enough for HD.

I didn't either. That's why I got an outdoor antenna and pointed it at the towers. Now I get all local HD stations perfectly (except for the VHF PAX station). I really wish the INHD's had more programming like HDNet has. I wish Comcast would get TNT-HD too. I'd turn my cable box on a lot more often.

post #1193 of 4865 Old 06-08-2005, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wish Comcast would get TNT-HD too. I'd turn my cable box on a lot more often.

With some intriguing programming coming up on TNT-HD (overkill ads/promos during NBA coverage) I think it behooves all of us to pound on Comcast reps with our wishes. Throw in ESPN2-HD, as well.
post #1194 of 4865 Old 06-09-2005, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I may try an antenna in the atic. I am sure it would be OK, but for now Comcast is not too bad. Then again, Verizon ran FTTP and FIOS here. It should be available soon. Been working on our small street for MONTHS now!

Quote:

I didn't either. That's why I got an outdoor antenna and pointed it at the towers. Now I get all local HD stations perfectly (except for the VHF PAX station). I really wish the INHD's had more programming like HDNet has. I wish Comcast would get TNT-HD too. I'd turn my cable box on a lot more often.

post #1195 of 4865 Old 06-10-2005, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I have had my HD service for 1 Month now. Upgraded to Digital Classic and two 6412's and an HD box. All TV's are HD.

As you may remember I had issues with 1 6412...too much signal. It seems OK now.

However, I am sometimes getting freezes and pixels on all sets now. I do not believe it is the signal as all boxes show 0 uncorrectables and 0 to 7 correctables...usually 0. However, I seem to have times whan watching INHD2, PBSHD and Discovery HD, where I get pixelization and brief freezes. It even happened on the Indy500 (was that ch 8 HD?). I wonder if it is the feed as it is only a few times during a show. Is this what everyone else sees? Why is there so much trouble sending HD? This past week Discovery HD and PBS-HD were out for at least an hour each.

TIA
post #1196 of 4865 Old 06-10-2005, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It even happened on the Indy500 (was that ch 8 HD?). I wonder if it is the feed as it is only a few times during a show. Is this what everyone else sees? Why is there so much trouble sending HD? This past week Discovery HD and PBS-HD were out for at least an hour each.

TIA

IIRC the Indy 500 was on ABC and not in HD. KATU probably upconverted the analog signal for their digital channel (704 on Comcast).

Yes, I see hiccups from time to time. There were a few audio burps last night during the 1st half of the NBA Finals game on KATU (I watched OTA so I don't know if those were present on the Comcast signal). HD (digital) transmission is not perfect and is probably several years from being so. Those of us who have opted in are still early adopters, IMO. While it is annoying to experience the odd glitches from time to time, we have to be patient with our providers. The state of affairs locally has certainly improved dramatically in the 2+ years I have had HD. I am continually awed with my HD experiences. If this doesn't meet your expectations, you probably entered too early.

Or I'm just an easy mark.
post #1197 of 4865 Old 06-10-2005, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Nope...with all the glitches we are still awed by the picture...especially from the Qualia!

I am wondering when Verizon is going to activate the Fiber they ran to our house. It will be great to have competion!

Quote:

IIRC the Indy 500 was on ABC and not in HD. KATU probably upconverted the analog signal for their digital channel (704 on Comcast).

Yes, I see hiccups from time to time. There were a few audio burps last night during the 1st half of the NBA Finals game on KATU (I watched OTA so I don't know if those were present on the Comcast signal). HD (digital) transmission is not perfect and is probably several years from being so. Those of us who have opted in are still early adopters, IMO. While it is annoying to experience the odd glitches from time to time, we have to be patient with our providers. The state of affairs locally has certainly improved dramatically in the 2+ years I have had HD. I am continually awed with my HD experiences. If this doesn't meet your expectations, you probably entered too early.

Or I'm just an easy mark.

post #1198 of 4865 Old 06-10-2005, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am wondering when Verizon is going to activate the Fiber they ran to our house. It will be great to have competion!

Verizon started in front of my house and is now all over the rest of Bull Mtn. I thought I read somewhere that they wouldn't begin to offer FiOS service here until next year. If I can find that tidbit to back it up I'll post it here. Perhaps we need a new "Portland, OR - Verizon" thread.

Have you subscribed to the general AVS Verizon thread here ? There are some others if you search.

See this thread, esp. Post #16, for some additional resources on the Verizon rollout.
post #1199 of 4865 Old 06-10-2005, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

NO, I did not see a verizon thread here. I had a phone number 888-991-2999 where he told me to keep calling. He said that they try to activate the cable as soon as it is complete as they want to start getting $$$ from it. I will check your link.

I am in the West Hills near Saltzman and Thompson.

Quote:

Verizon started in front of my house and is now all over the rest of Bull Mtn. I thought I read somewhere that they wouldn't begin to offer FiOS service here until next year. If I can find that tidbit to back it up I'll post it here. Perhaps we need a new "Portland, OR - Verizon" thread.

Have you subscribed to the general AVS Verizon thread here ? There are some others if you search.

See this thread, esp. Post #16, for some additional resources on the Verizon rollout.

post #1200 of 4865 Old 06-11-2005, 03:03 PM

I enjoyed NBA final on channel 704. Didn't experience any problems. Just a question tho, 5.1 sound wasn't as good as MNF in mho. Was it just me or did others notice sound quality difference? Thanks.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page