Traverse City, MI - HDTV - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 1760 Old 09-13-2006, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Big news on WGTU ABC 29 & 8--For those who don't listen to the Norm Jones show on WTCM, the president of WGTU was on the show today and said he was happy to announce that around "the first part of October" WGTU would be up and running full HD!!

I also believe that he referred to a signal boost as well, as a caller from Old Mission Peninsula called in and complained of his digital signal. Mr. Cash (the president of WGTU) said that when the full HD signal goes up, the caller won't have to worry any more about his signal being weak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 1760 Old 09-14-2006, 04:29 AM

Good news, thanks.
post #333 of 1760 Old 09-15-2006, 06:52 AM

That is good news. I remains to be seen if the signal will be stron enough for me to receive it however. Anyone in the Boyne City/East Jordan area receiving OTA HD signals?
post #334 of 1760 Old 09-18-2006, 05:58 AM

I think its time for 7&4 to lose The Tube now, HD is really suffering, the football games looks terrible, when theres camera movement of any kind. I hope this isnt the future of HD, looks worse than snow from analog.
post #335 of 1760 Old 09-18-2006, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvb6171 View Post

I think its time for 7&4 to lose The Tube now, HD is really suffering, the football games looks terrible, when theres camera movement of any kind. I hope this isnt the future of HD, looks worse than snow from analog.

Yes, every sporting event on NBCHD is just completely unwatchable...

Even simple shows like The Office show the effect of the 2 worthless subchannels..

Isnt Tube TV for teenagers? I wouldnt watch that crap if it was the only thing on TV.. Dont we already have a Weather Channel on Channel 26?

On another note, I wonder if Charter will ever get off their sorry dead asses and add any of the dozen or so HD channels that are available..These guys are beyond pathetic with their rate shaping BS HD and lack of channels..Man, we need some competition in this ho-dunk town so bad..
post #336 of 1760 Old 09-18-2006, 02:44 PM

I don't find the quality of NBC HD to be that bad--then again, I'm watching OTA on a CRT, which isn't as high-detail as DLP, etc.
post #337 of 1760 Old 09-18-2006, 04:11 PM

Apparently 7&4 didn't get the memo about Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy now being in HD. Still showing in crappy stretch-O-vision.

John
post #338 of 1760 Old 09-18-2006, 07:19 PM

now compare the washington vs dallas game on nbc to the lions game on fox. The game on fox was unwatchable? And i don't mean just because it was the lions.I watched the cbs game (kansas city vs denver) and tonights espn game on the dish not much difference to my eyes, not perfect (some blocking and motion artifacts).But compared to fox ? soo much more watchable.
post #339 of 1760 Old 09-19-2006, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawpops7 View Post

now compare the washington vs dallas game on nbc to the lions game on fox. The game on fox was unwatchable? And i don't mean just because it was the lions.I watched the cbs game (kansas city vs denver) and tonights espn game on the dish not much difference to my eyes, not perfect (some blocking and motion artifacts).But compared to fox ? soo much more watchable.

That's because our FOX affiliate is not broadcasting in HD as of yet.
post #340 of 1760 Old 09-19-2006, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm curious can any of you guys pick up GR digitals? I'm down here in the GR area and the only TC digital I can pick up when I rotate my antenna is 40. I can't wait to see what happens to my signal when they boost the power!
post #341 of 1760 Old 09-19-2006, 07:18 PM

thats my point its so much better than SD (fox)how can you say that its unwatchable?
post #342 of 1760 Old 09-20-2006, 03:58 AM

Wife was mad last night, no Law and Order in HD, what happened?
post #343 of 1760 Old 09-20-2006, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawpops7 View Post

thats my point its so much better than SD (fox)how can you say that its unwatchable?

Oh, sorry for the misunderstanding. I now get what you were trying to say.

I don't think it is fair, though, to compare HD programming with SD programming--they aren't even close in quality. I think the main complaint they had was how bad our NBC station's HD is compared with other HD channels.

Still, I don't find NBC's HD that bad. Maybe it's because I'm not a technophile and I am watching on a CRT HDTV, but I still thought the football games have looked great.

Here's hoping FOX and ABC's HD (which are both coming this fall) is pleasing to everyone.
post #344 of 1760 Old 09-20-2006, 05:45 AM

and PBS, also got an email from 7&4 and their computers were down, so should have HD again tonight.
post #345 of 1760 Old 09-20-2006, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpy View Post

Oh, sorry for the misunderstanding. I now get what you were trying to say.

I don't think it is fair, though, to compare HD programming with SD programming--they aren't even close in quality. I think the main complaint they had was how bad our NBC station's HD is compared with other HD channels.

Still, I don't find NBC's HD that bad. Maybe it's because I'm not a technophile and I am watching on a CRT HDTV, but I still thought the football games have looked great.

Here's hoping FOX and ABC's HD (which are both coming this fall) is pleasing to everyone.

Its the classic "Its better than SD so it must be awesome" argument..I dont even know why people like this bother with HD...

I wonder if it is that CRT of yours that makes it seem as if NBCHD is doing a good job..I dont know since Ive never viewed HD on anything other than a microdisplay..But I would guess that if I watched NBCHD on your CRT I would see all the same problems that I see on my microdisplay..

The fact is that most people just arent bothered by marginal HD, either that or they just simply have never really seen what full bandwith HD is supposed to look like..
post #346 of 1760 Old 09-20-2006, 07:30 AM

I hear ya guffy1, my wife can see problems all over the place on charter, flickering, dancing grass on football games, blocking, only place I dont see this is on HD DVD which is awesome, no artifacts unless it orgianlly on the film itself. Was wonder if anyone gets CBS over the air and if it has the same artifacts as through Charter, was wondering cause they dont even do 5.1 Dolby, should have enough bandwidth I would think, but on Charter I get bad artifacts.
post #347 of 1760 Old 09-20-2006, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guffy1 View Post

Its the classic "Its better than SD so it must be awesome" argument..I dont even know why people like this bother with HD...

I wonder if it is that CRT of yours that makes it seem as if NBCHD is doing a good job..I dont know since Ive never viewed HD on anything other than a microdisplay..But I would guess that if I watched NBCHD on your CRT I would see all the same problems that I see on my microdisplay..

The fact is that most people just arent bothered by marginal HD, either that or they just simply have never really seen what full bandwith HD is supposed to look like..

People bother with it because it is better than SD. It might be poor HD but it is usually better than good SD. At this point I would love to get even the crappiest HD OTA feed since I get NOTHING now. Granted, I would love to see the local stations get serious about HD and work on broadcasting the highest quality signal they can but I don't think the stations are placing a high priority on HD right now which is unfortunate. I know the difference between good HD and bad HD, but right now I have no HD so even bad HD would be a step up for me.

Maybe we need to bombard our local stations with requests/complaints about no HD/crappy HD signals until they get the point that there are people out there that know better and want decent high quality HD.
post #348 of 1760 Old 09-20-2006, 07:51 AM

I always complain, I did this morning when NBC 7&4 didnt broadcast HD last night, and too there credit they did answer fast and nice. But ya I dont hesitate at all its our airwaves.
post #349 of 1760 Old 09-20-2006, 01:30 PM

Quote:

No need to be a huge douchebag about the entire thing. I was just stating that I, somebody who is NOT a technophile, did not see much of a problem with the signal during the football game.

Fortunately for me, I apparently don't have the amazing ability that you do of spotting the most minute artifacts and spotting during a scene switch. That, or I don't give a damn about them because it's A FREAKING TELEVISION SHOW. But then, I guess that opinion groups me with the majority of Americans who don't really care about HD.
post #350 of 1760 Old 09-20-2006, 01:47 PM

I don't claim to be a tech expert but I have had hd programing in one form or another for over two years now. Over dish network,charter hd and over the air.Is it perfect no but it is a fairly new technology and it will get better.There are limitations(bandwith and money)Charter and sat programers struggle with bandwith. ota local stations with money(wich might explain why 7&4 has to multicast.and 9&10 isn't at full power yet). I have yet to come across any hd content that is unwatchable.
post #351 of 1760 Old 09-20-2006, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No need to be a huge douchebag about the entire thing. I was just stating that I, somebody who is NOT a technophile, did not see much of a problem with the signal during the football game.

Fortunately for me, I apparently don't have the amazing ability that you do of spotting the most minute artifacts and spotting during a scene switch. That, or I don't give a damn about them because it's A FREAKING TELEVISION SHOW. But then, I guess that opinion groups me with the majority of Americans who don't really care about HD.

Um, Waaaaahhhhh!!!
post #352 of 1760 Old 09-20-2006, 03:12 PM

Quote:

Um, Waaaaahhhhh!!!

Who's crying?

"Yes, every sporting event on NBCHD is just completely unwatchable...

Even simple shows like The Office show the effect of the 2 worthless subchannels..

Isnt Tube TV for teenagers? I wouldnt watch that crap if it was the only thing on TV.. Dont we already have a Weather Channel on Channel 26?

On another note, I wonder if Charter will ever get off their sorry dead asses and add any of the dozen or so HD channels that are available..These guys are beyond pathetic with their rate shaping BS HD and lack of channels..Man, we need some competition in this ho-dunk town so bad.."

AKA

"Waahhh...our NBC affiliate and Charter won't do what I personally like. This is unacceptable!"

So you are the one who starts the whining and then accuses others of crying because they disagree? Your debate tactics are spectactular. You should go into politics--you'd fit right in.
post #353 of 1760 Old 09-20-2006, 03:19 PM

Quote:

Um, Waaaaahhhhh!!!

Hey guffy is that your expert opinion?
post #354 of 1760 Old 09-21-2006, 06:35 AM

Has anyone noticed an increase in signal strength for WWTV today? My HD TIVO is up about 20 points in Suttons Bay and my brother is showing the same increase in Midland.

John
post #355 of 1760 Old 09-21-2006, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by water1 View Post

Has anyone noticed an increase in signal strength for WWTV today? My HD TIVO is up about 20 points in Suttons Bay and my brother is showing the same increase in Midland.

Im getting the same signal here in TC off of Zimmermand Rd...Right in the low 50's, just low enough to not be able to lock in on it..

I take it to you are using an outdoor amplified antenna of some sort there in Suttons Bay?
post #356 of 1760 Old 09-21-2006, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Who's crying?

"Yes, every sporting event on NBCHD is just completely unwatchable...

On another note, I wonder if Charter will ever get off their sorry dead asses and add any of the dozen or so HD channels that are available..These guys are beyond pathetic with their rate shaping BS HD and lack of channels..Man, we need some competition in this ho-dunk town so bad.."

AKA

"Waahhh...our NBC affiliate and Charter won't do what I personally like. This is unacceptable!"

So you are the one who starts the whining and then accuses others of crying because they disagree? Your debate tactics are spectactular. You should go into politics--you'd fit right in.

You need to pack up your toys and go home young man
post #357 of 1760 Old 09-21-2006, 08:17 AM

Quote:

Im getting the same signal here in TC off of Zimmermand Rd...Right in the low 50's, just low enough to not be able to lock in on it..

I take it to you are using an outdoor amplified antenna of some sort there in Suttons Bay?

I'm now in high 70's and my brother is in high 90's today both using the HR10-250 and amplified antennas.

John
post #358 of 1760 Old 09-21-2006, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by water1 View Post

I'm now in high 70's and my brother is in high 90's today both using the HR10-250 and amplified antennas.

High 90's in Midland? Wow..

So you guys are both still up 20 points? I may need to reposition my indoor antenna.

Ive always been able to pick up the Kalkaska towers in the 90's with my indoor setup..Seems like I should be able to lock onto the WWTV Cadillac tower if theyve increased the power..
post #359 of 1760 Old 09-21-2006, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just tried down here in Cedar Springs about 67 miles from the tower but only got a blip no picture. I usually only get it at night anyways.
post #360 of 1760 Old 09-21-2006, 09:50 AM

The signal has now dropped back to the more normal mid 50's. Maybe they were testing something or maybe it was the result of the clear weather this morning. Stay tuned.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page