Traverse City, MI - HDTV - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1760 Old 11-03-2006, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ive been getting some audio drop outs on Showtime, still no TV guide data for ABC so I have to put in my parental control number in each time I come to that channel, wonder whats up with that too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1760 Old 11-03-2006, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

I noticed the pixelization last night during 'The Office'. Much worse than it has been.

"I've been ruminating. And by ruminating, I mean pondering. Not chewing my cud."
post #453 of 1760 Old 11-03-2006, 01:50 PM

So I guess it's not just me then. In one way thats refreshing, but it'd be nice if they would fix it on their end so we can all watch tv like it's meant to be watched, in HD!

I had called to have someone come out then cancelled because I thought the reception was fine. I had been getting a lot of the pixelization on ESPN HD then it stopped. That's when the called to confirm the appointment yesterday and I cancelled because I thought it was fixed.

Anyway, I did ask about adding a hard drive to the Moxi unit for more recording time and was told that Motorola is coming out with a Moxi with a larger hard drive so that is good news. I guess it's on back order.
post #454 of 1760 Old 11-03-2006, 03:33 PM

Charter does offer the larger HD in the Moxi is some markets... but not in MI.
post #455 of 1760 Old 11-09-2006, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
FYI to you Charter subs, Comcast and FSN Detroit have reached an agreement on the HD channel and it will be available on Comcast in the next few days. You can reference the Detroit, MI HDTV thread for more info.

It was announced on FSN Detroit at the beginning of the Red Wings braodcast last night, however, no Comcast subs see the channel yet.

A person who seems to be in the know at Comcast says it will be in the next couple days.

I just skim'd this entire thread and every city goes through these ups and downs with HD. Hell I still don't even get ABC on my STB. I have to pull it in OTA and I get better service from Battle Creek than Lansing.

Good luck in getting your service expanded, I talk to my account exec atleast once a week about HD roll outs and trying to pry info out of him.

It's time to give props to WLNS for the HD crawl generator!!!

Now we need WHTV to go HD and Lansing's CW to get a separate transmitter so it isn't a digital sub.
post #456 of 1760 Old 11-13-2006, 05:07 AM

Those of you who are off-air digital might want to try WWTV-DT again (ch. 40). I noticed they were off the air a couple of days last week. They came back on Friday, and I have much different signal strength readings. Maybe you can get it in Traverse City now.
post #457 of 1760 Old 11-13-2006, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyLCD View Post

Those of you who are off-air digital might want to try WWTV-DT again (ch. 40). I noticed they were off the air a couple of days last week. They came back on Friday, and I have much different signal strength readings. Maybe you can get it in Traverse City now.

Still cant pick up even a blip from WWTV here in TC off Zimmerman Rd..

I get full signal between 90-100 on WGTU which supposedly isnt full power, and thats all the way in Kalkaska..

You would think Id be able to get something form WWTV if they were at full power..

How much higher are your signal readings since it came back on air LCD?
post #458 of 1760 Old 11-13-2006, 12:24 PM

Quote:

My brother is now receiving the WWTV signal in mid 90's. Was in the mid 70's. He is in NorthEast Midland using a 70" tower.
I'm not in Suttons Bay so I can't check there.

John
post #459 of 1760 Old 11-13-2006, 01:34 PM

I went through the same deal ,9&10 was off the air for a couple of days last week. When it came back on it was much stronger.I was getting between 70 and 80. Now today I am getting a solid 100.
post #460 of 1760 Old 11-13-2006, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting..Sounds as if they may have boosted that signal and Im still not getting it..Bummer

What is your location Crawpops?

If everyone would please post their locations and antenna type that would be helpful..Thanks all
post #461 of 1760 Old 11-13-2006, 06:08 PM

Guffy I live less than 2 miles from zimmerman rd. between longlake and cedar run.That strange because I get a very strong 9&10 signal (95 to 100). But get nothing from 29&8. 7&4(nbc) comes in strong also(85 to 90).Don't know the brand name on my antenna as it was given to me(it's a small 2ft long outdoor)
post #462 of 1760 Old 11-17-2006, 10:24 AM

Well a couple of weeks ago I gave up and took my tv antenna down and put my FM antenna up in its place, didnt think I would get anything but NBC, but after reading about a possible power upgrade I decided to put my tv antenna back, not much to listen to on FM anyway, but there it is finally CBS, wow, and I must say it seems better than on Charter, anyone else experiencing that? Think I may save myself a few bucks and drop Charters HD , its getting real bad anyways. So I'm getting a good signal here in Interlochen, come on ABC(can get them sometimes, tho not realiable) and FOX, and please PBS, time for some Austin City Limits in HD now.
post #463 of 1760 Old 11-20-2006, 04:53 AM

I think that those of you that dig your attennas out of the attic will be happy with the quality of off-air HDTV. I've been watching CBS and NBC for awhile now, and there are very few drop-outs, even with the multi-signals on NBC. My hope now is that WFQX gets up and running soon, and that WGTU can start delivering a consistant signal. I get them some days in Lake City. Most I don't, and there is no rhyme or reason with weather conditions. I'm hoping with the stretch of nice weather that is forecast this week, that maybe they can get out and do the necessary tower work on FOX to get the signal that they promise on their web site up and running.
post #464 of 1760 Old 11-20-2006, 07:16 AM

I hear ya SonyLCD CBS is coming very well for me hear now, no drop outs. I cant get a reliable signal from ABC I used too when they were SD. Just hope they hurry, I did email them friday, wish everyone would so they get the hint. I only wish all the networks could get together and put all there antennas at one place, but thats a far stretch.
post #465 of 1760 Old 11-21-2006, 08:54 AM

Quote:

I think that those of you that dig your attennas out of the attic will be happy with the quality of off-air HDTV. I've been watching CBS and NBC for awhile now, and there are very few drop-outs, even with the multi-signals on NBC. g.

I pick up NBC HD from channel 4 Cheboygan. Luck for us they do not multi cast from this site. They also do not broadcast HD: just digital. It is that stretched distorted up-convert that sucks and it is digital but definitely not HD. Does anyone know if TV 7 & 4 plans on doing anything on the channel 4 side?
post #466 of 1760 Old 11-22-2006, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Can someone please tell me what the QAM channel #'s are for NBCHD and CBSHD here in Traverse City?

I was almost certain that I read somewhere CBSHD and NBCHD were both available via QAM in Traverse City? Am I mistaken?

I do seem to have located the QAM channels for FOXHD (104.1) and ABCHD (104.2).

For the life of me I can not seem to find NBC or CBS? Any help appreciated. Tx!

Also, are there any other HD QAM channels available in Traverse City that anyone knows of?
post #467 of 1760 Old 11-23-2006, 04:12 AM

NBC-102-1, CBS-102-3. I also get the sub channels to NBC as well and in the 109-1 thru 109-10 I get other peoples VOD. VOD is a hit and miss as most of the time it freezes or fast forwards, but I do occasionally to get a whole movie on that. Used to get Boomerang too but not anymore, oh and of course get all of those music channels. But no other HD channels, I do believe we should get TNT though since we pay for it through our expanded basic cable bill, as Charter explained it to me before and ESPN.They told me we pay for the HD channels of those through our expanded basic bill. I would think they should be in the clear for those.
post #468 of 1760 Old 11-23-2006, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvb6171 View Post

But no other HD channels, I do believe we should get TNT though since we pay for it through our expanded basic cable bill, as Charter explained it to me before and ESPN.They told me we pay for the HD channels of those through our expanded basic bill. I would think they should be in the clear for those.

To receive Discovery , ESPN or any other HD channel (aside for the locals) there is a separate subscription fee ON TOP of the price you already pay
post #469 of 1760 Old 11-26-2006, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guffy1 View Post

SD subchannels dont hurt the PQ of an HD channel?...Now thats amusing...

The fact is, one SD subchannel can and will significantly degrade an HD channel...2 SD subchannels will unquestionably degrade an HD channel.. That is just blatantly bad information you are passing out..

I get WPBN OTA and via Charter. OTA may have a tiny edge, but both feature pixelation, macroblocking, and motion artifacting on a daily basis...

This is caused by the sub channels, without question.. And it was not happening, ever, before those subchannels were added..

You're way wrong. WLNS-DT in the Lansing/Jackson market has no subchannels...that's zero...and they have all the PQ problems the poster described all the time. WLAJ-DT in the same market does have a subchannel and rarely has those problems. And your explanation for that is...?
post #470 of 1760 Old 11-27-2006, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornell_lingus View Post

You're way wrong. WLNS-DT in the Lansing/Jackson market has no subchannels...that's zero...and they have all the PQ problems the poster described all the time. WLAJ-DT in the same market does have a subchannel and rarely has those problems. And your explanation for that is...?

My explanation is that you have no idea what you are looking for, or what you are talking about..

And if you did know what you were looking for, you wouldnt be able to recognize it if it hit you over the head with a baseball bat..

Thanks for the useless input, but youre wrong, way wrong
post #471 of 1760 Old 11-27-2006, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guffy1 View Post

My explanation is that you have no idea what you are looking for, or what you are talking about..

And if you did know what you were looking for, you wouldnt be able to recognize it if it hit you over the head with a baseball bat..

Thanks for the useless input, but youre wrong, way wrong

No, really, please do enlighten us: Why is it that a station with zero subchannels exhibits massive PQ problems exactly as described and what you blame on subchannels? And why is it that a station with subchannels--actually two in that market--do not exhibit the symptoms you blame on subchannels?
post #472 of 1760 Old 11-29-2006, 09:12 AM

Quote:

No, really, please do enlighten us: Why is it that a station with zero subchannels exhibits massive PQ problems exactly as described and what you blame on subchannels? And why is it that a station with subchannels--actually two in that market--do not exhibit the symptoms you blame on subchannels?

Any subtraction of bandwidth will have a negative impact on audio and video quality. Multi casting definitely limits bandwidth to anyone sub channel. The issue of poor picture quality with no multi casting is probably almost exclusively due to poor station management and/or poor attention to equipment or lack of knowledge there of.
post #473 of 1760 Old 11-30-2006, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre5697 View Post

Any subtraction of bandwidth will have a negative impact on audio and video quality. Multi casting definitely limits bandwidth to anyone sub channel. The issue of poor picture quality with no multi casting is probably almost exclusively due to poor station management and/or poor attention to equipment or lack of knowledge there of.

Or a crappy signal provided by the network that the station can't control, like what CBS is giving all its stations and ESPN is often providing to its outlets of late. But thank you for helping with the point that that there are several other factors that go into the PQ beyond the issue of bandwidth that are far more important than just boosting bandwidth. Remember GIGO--Garbage In, Garbage Out. If you give a bad picture lots of bandwidth, you'll still see a bad picture. Then again, if all the available bandwidth is not needed by the primary signal, then the subchannels make no difference to PQ.
post #474 of 1760 Old 12-05-2006, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

WWTV looks awful tonight. I'm watching the "nature" special at 10:00 and the pixelization makes it look like a Video CD. Blecch.

"I've been ruminating. And by ruminating, I mean pondering. Not chewing my cud."
post #475 of 1760 Old 12-06-2006, 04:43 AM

Looks like FOX OTA has now been switched from December to before "the middle of January." Sigh. Source is www.fox33.com
post #476 of 1760 Old 12-06-2006, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

With Charter raising their rates next month, it sure would be nice to be able to pick up all 4 networks via antenna. I've waited 4 years, I guess I can wait a little longer.

post #477 of 1760 Old 12-06-2006, 07:10 AM

The good news is that they do seem to be working on it, and have narrowed it down a little bit. Given that they say the first half of January, I'll bet they do it then. A bigger concern is that there seems to be no timetable for WGTU-DT to raise their power to a point that people outside of Traverse City could actually get it.
post #478 of 1760 Old 12-06-2006, 08:41 AM

Quote:

Or a crappy signal provided by the network that the station can't control, like what CBS is giving all its stations and ESPN is often providing to its outlets of late. But thank you for helping with the point that that there are several other factors that go into the PQ beyond the issue of bandwidth that are far more important than just boosting bandwidth. Remember GIGO--Garbage In, Garbage Out. If you give a bad picture lots of bandwidth, you'll still see a bad picture. Then again, if all the available bandwidth is not needed by the primary signal, then the subchannels make no difference to PQ.

Are you have problems over the air or via cable? Generally channel 49 (tv 9 & 10) that I receive out of Goetzville is very good. I receive some pixelation but generally during inclement weather and I attribute this to atmospheric issues and not broadcast issues. The HD football games are excellent and while I don't follow CBS programming every week night, shows like CSI Miami seem above average in video quality.
post #479 of 1760 Old 12-07-2006, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre5697 View Post

Are you have problems over the air or via cable? Generally channel 49 (tv 9 & 10) that I receive out of Goetzville is very good. I receive some pixelation but generally during inclement weather and I attribute this to atmospheric issues and not broadcast issues. The HD football games are excellent and while I don't follow CBS programming every week night, shows like CSI Miami seem above average in video quality.

OTA in the Lansing/Jackson market on a station with no subchannels. The CBS PQ problems are really bad on their football broadcasts and that issue is noted in boards for all the markets I read about. You are the first person I've seen state that their football games are excellent. If there is little or no movement yes they look good, but any movement starts a flurry of macroblocking. My brother will be testing a DTV receiver next time he goes to his cabin up north and I'm scouting the issues for him.
post #480 of 1760 Old 12-07-2006, 02:35 PM

CBS is bad here too, football looks bad, only stations that look good with sports are FOX and ABC(really good here) NBC is bad too.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page