Traverse City, MI - HDTV - Page 17 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #481 of 1760 Old 12-21-2006, 07:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Although I canceled Charters HD service in favor for OTA HD I cant help but notice that the other cable companies out there are adding more HD channels left and right, so where is Charter? I see their commercials all the time, but the channel line up right now is pretty lame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 1760 Old 12-21-2006, 03:35 PM

I dont know about that. I looked up Comcast downstate where my other house is and their HD lineup is less than Charter. They do have ESPN2 but aside for that, Charter does offer more channels
post #483 of 1760 Old 12-29-2006, 05:38 AM

Has anybody else experienced a signal loss from WPBN-HD over the past couple of weeks?
I used to get a solid signal from them, but it now goes in and out. I made no changes to my antenna, and I still get the same signal strength readings from CBS and PBS. When I called them, they said they hadn't changed anything, and my problems were probably "atmospheric." But after 3 weeks, I'm thinking the issue is on their end, and not "atmospheric."
Also, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Fox to have their HDTV signal up in time for the BCS championship Jan 8th. Their website still says "first part of January."
post #484 of 1760 Old 12-30-2006, 04:59 PM

So i've been looking into Charter's HD service, but talking to them on the phone or on the online chat is like pulling teeth, and all I want is to know what it costs.

The guy on the chat was telling me that HD service and a receiver is 10 bucks a month, and the HD lifeline (the 4 major networks) is another 10 bucks a month. I seem to remember the HD lifeline being 3 bucks, and the "HD tier" (HDnet, espn, tnt, etc) being the costly thing.

I currently have Basic and expanded, no digital reciever, and 3mbps internet. What does renting the HD receiver and getting just the 4 networks in HD cost you guys? I don't even want ESPN/TNT/Discovery and the other HD tier channels.
post #485 of 1760 Old 12-30-2006, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhagar View Post

So i've been looking into Charter's HD service, but talking to them on the phone or on the online chat is like pulling teeth, and all I want is to know what it costs.

The guy on the chat was telling me that HD service and a receiver is 10 bucks a month, and the HD lifeline (the 4 major networks) is another 10 bucks a month. I seem to remember the HD lifeline being 3 bucks, and the "HD tier" (HDnet, espn, tnt, etc) being the costly thing.

I currently have Basic and expanded, no digital reciever, and 3mbps internet. What does renting the HD receiver and getting just the 4 networks in HD cost you guys? I don't even want ESPN/TNT/Discovery and the other HD tier channels.

The HD box and the 4 nets (lifeline) should only run you $10 a month, maybe its $11 at the most..

If you have a set with a built in QAM tuner you can get all 4 HD nets in the clear for free..If your set is fairly new theres a good possibility it would have a built in QAM tuner.

If not, you could pick up a QAM tuner on Ebay for probably less than $100 used...
post #486 of 1760 Old 12-30-2006, 05:52 PM

So the HD lifeline channels (4 major networks) should be included in the 10 bucks for "HD service" with the reciever too? Ok.

I have a Hitachi 51s500, AFAIK it does NOT have a built in tuner, the 51s700 is the model with a tuner.

I live about 10 miles south of town, kinda up on a hill actually (in a subdivision across from where Hobb's Highway/Arbutis Lake Rd hits Garfield. We've got alot of trees around the house though.). With our really crappy old antenna that was here when we bought the house 10 years ago we were able to get in NBC and CBS pretty darn good. We did it to get TV12, for the non-FSN broadcasted Pistons games, but it was barely watchable, and soon totally unwatchable.

We really crappily split the 2 copper wires off the flat black antenna wire and wrapped them around the screw leads on a little box, which then hooked onto the male cable plug on the TV. We have a newer Antenna from my Aunts roof now actually, but we don't know how to take the crappy flat black antenna cord with the 2 copper wires embedded in it, and hook it up to a cable plug easily. Can anyone link me or explain how you hook up a somewhat older antenna to cable, or something?

I'd really like to get TV 12 for those Pistons games that aren't on cable at least, and if we're getting decent reception I would probably spring for a tuner for HD.

EDIT: I'd still like to know about hooking up a dang antenna, I've checked out the basics thread on OTA forum, but I guess it doesn't go that basic.

However, Fox and ABC aren't broadcasting in HD OTA are they? I thought Charter got hooked up directly or something.

EDIT2: Looks like my Antenna is an old twin lead style, It's got 2 wing nuts on it for the twin lead wire, I don't know if I can hook coax up to it.

Anyway, thanks for clearing up that Charter should give me the 4 networks with the 10 dollar a month charge for service and receiver.

Anyone else able to get TV12 around here in, with the Pistons games that are blacked out on cable?
post #487 of 1760 Old 12-30-2006, 08:48 PM

I finally got to Suttons Bay to check the WWTV reception after their upgrade. I now get a solid mid 90's signal strength on my DirecTV h20 receiver.
I haven't seen any comments on WGTU ABC now broadcasting HD. Ugly Betty's office party sure is colorful. Anyone know when they turned on the HD?
I see they are broadcasting the CW network on 29-2.

John
post #488 of 1760 Old 01-01-2007, 06:35 PM

Just found this on-line forum - fantastic! I am in downtown Traverse City (Washington St) and I'm thinking about dropping DirecTV (now that NFL HD service is over...). What I really want is local HD service - when I moved here a year ago I couldn'r find much, but in reading through this board, it looks like some progress has been made?

Question 1 - can I get OTA HD downtown here? I've had several people tell me it's not possible (OK, mostly DirecTV installers...). Does anyone have it working well? All 4 networks?

Question 2 - if so, how does it compare to getting HD through Charter? I'll either keep DirecTV and add OTA HD, or switch completely to Charter I think?

Question 3 - what's the latest on the Charter HD DVR boxes? A year ago when I moved here, they were SLOW as hell and not intuitive UIs (compared to TiVo which I'm used to).

Question 4 - anyone using the new TiVo Series 3 DVR with Chater cablecards? I hear pic quality is highly dependent on your cable co & their cards...

Thanks for any feedback!!
post #489 of 1760 Old 01-03-2007, 03:03 PM

There seems to be a lot of knowledgable people in this forum so I figured I would ask you guys since I wasn't getting a real timely response from the individual TV stations.

Anyway my new HD TV will be arriving tomorrow and I just wanted to know what my chances were of receiving an over the air HD signal up here in Charlevoix.

I'm kind of new to the whole HD thing so I'm just trying to research all my options for getting HD. I know I can get Charter or the dish but wasn't sure about getting the signal via antenna. If so does anyone have any good suggestions for antennas? I just see there is a huge range of antennas and pricing - So I'm just curious to hear some actual experiences.

Any input you guys could provide to get this HD Rookie up and running would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
post #490 of 1760 Old 01-04-2007, 07:22 AM

I'll take a stab at answering the previous three posts.

Water1: WGTU has been broadcasting HD since the fall. I'm glad you can get it there ...because their signal is so weak that I can't get it where I am in Lake City. They claim that they will be going full power in February.

cxxvii: Since WPBN broadcasts their digital signal from their studio tower, you should be able to get them downtown. WGTU has to have a city grade signal so you should be able to get them downtown. I would guess that since PBS is putting out a full power signal from Kalkaska that you could get them. Fox is supposed to have a full power signal up within the next couple of weeks from Kalkaska, so you should be able to get them. WWTV might be a little tricky. Also, off-air HDTV should be superior to Charter simply because you are getting it directly from the source. But if you can't pull in a signal, Charter it is. I can't answer anything else about Charter

tblisset: I would only be guessing about Charlevoix, but i wouldn't think you could get NBC or CBS because you are in between their signals. I should also note that I do not believe NBC is at full power yet. if they are, they are very weak. When analog is finally shut down, and the affliates start broadcasting digital signals on their VHF numbers, you should be good. I would think that as soon as ABC and Fox go to full power from Kalkaska, you should be able to get them in Charlevoix.
post #491 of 1760 Old 01-05-2007, 07:16 AM

Thanks, SonyLCD. Charter is coming on Wed to install service, so I'll see how their local HD looks next week.

In the meantime I might also try OTA. From downtown TC, it looks like the signals are coming from all over - South, West, etc. Can anyone recommend an antenna (omni-directional I guess) for the downtown area?
post #492 of 1760 Old 01-05-2007, 12:22 PM

Yea, as a quick follow up, I'm also having Charter install HD tomorrow afternoon. When I got it before they just gave me the box, but now they said they have to have HD installed by their techs, so I had to wait 5 days. I was pretty upset, I missed 2 good football games and 5 days worth of TV in HD because of their silly new regulations.

I'll report back on Monday my experiences with the 4 networks and the football games and shows on them over the weekend.
post #493 of 1760 Old 01-08-2007, 08:09 AM

Thanks SonyLCD for the response. I ordered the Charter HD last Friday and won't get it installed until this Friday. I gotta wait a whole week! It's gonna be tough.

I'll report back with my Charter experience. It's always an adventure with them.
post #494 of 1760 Old 01-08-2007, 01:00 PM

Well I see the macro blocking/pixelization you guys have reported, when the picture moves alot. It seems to only happen when cameras change, or a graphic comes up during the football game. I didn't notice anything with players running, or the camera tracking them, which is good. The tech who installed didn't even look at the hookups outside the house, or in the basement. He just setup the receiver and plugged it in. The damn power cord was actually loose, the thing turned off on me when I plugged my own cables in - it didn't quite fit where it plugged into the receiver, I had to scrape away some extra plastic, LOL.

He also used component cables with regular red/white audio cables plugged into the TV. Kind of lame that they don't even bother trying to hook the HD receiver up to your surround system. A big part of the HD broadcasts is the 5.1 audio. I took out their cables and am using DVI and digital coax I had, anyway.
post #495 of 1760 Old 01-08-2007, 08:48 PM

Ok, this is getting really old. Maybe it's my HD DVR or what. It just seems like the network HD channels are completely unwatchable. I have downgraded all my shows I record to be recorded on SD because I can no watch the HD versions. The audio drops and the picture goes digital blocks. It's not an occasional thing, it is constant which is why the programs are unwatchable. The funny thing is HBO, Showtime and Cinemax HD are all just fine.

One thing I noticed tonight was while watching the BCS National Championship game on Fox 33 HD the picture was fine until my DVR started recording a SD show on the other tuner. Then the picture started getting the digital blocks, but still watchable.

Anyone else have this issue? Maybe it's just my setup. Maybe it's my cable box. I was so excited to get the HD channels but now it's just a let down.
post #496 of 1760 Old 01-11-2007, 05:22 AM

This isn't good. Fox 33's website has taken down the message that they would have an HD broadcast signal on the air in the first have of January. Now it simply says "we hope to have one soon." Does anybody know what is really going on? Same story with WGTU's supposed coming power increase. Anybody know when?
post #497 of 1760 Old 01-11-2007, 07:22 AM

Dont know whats going on but its getting old, I spoke with someone at PBS last summer and they said we "will have PBS HD this fall"
post #498 of 1760 Old 01-16-2007, 05:49 AM

Finally got my Charter HD installed last Friday. For the most part the installation went good. The one major issue I had was that the HD Receiver & DVR only came with the old composite cables and the technician said that was all the ever provide, which I find hard to believe since it can't even handle the HD signal. The composite cables will only go up to 480i. You would think Charter would want people to be able to fire up the HD right away and be blown away by the picture but apparently not. The only extra cable I had was an HDMI one and of course this receiver doesn't have an HDMI output. I had to wait for the installation to be done and then head out to buy a new component cable. So that was very disappointing. I wanted to fire it up right away.

Anyway - Now that I have it up and running... I love it! I barely moved from the front of my TV all weekend. Watched basketball, hockey and lots of football. It was great. That was my first extended viewing of sports in HD and it is amazing how much better everything looks. After watching football in HD it's going to be very hard to go back to watching it in SD.

I did notice the macro blocking/pixelization issue on CBS more than anywhere else. Mostly during the NFL games when there was a lot of action or graphics on the screen. It's definitely annoying. I don't really understand the whole thing but is there any hope of that problem being fixed anytime soon?

All in all I'm happy with the Charter HD. I, of course, would like a few more channels but for now it's enough to keep me happy.
post #499 of 1760 Old 01-16-2007, 08:53 AM

On CBS and NBC you will see the pixelization with any fast movement program. As for a fix I believe that would have to occur at the network level.

What I have heard is the issue is because NBC and CBS's HD content is in 1080i. FOX is 720p.
post #500 of 1760 Old 01-16-2007, 03:19 PM

Here is video of my issue.
It's kind of dark, but you will get the point.

Anyone else have this issue?
post #501 of 1760 Old 01-16-2007, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Wow I've never seen that. That's awful.

"I've been ruminating. And by ruminating, I mean pondering. Not chewing my cud."
post #502 of 1760 Old 01-16-2007, 07:05 PM

OK, a quicke update. Got Charter installed on Friday, including (they claim) the new DVR which says DCT6416 on the front. The installer said the main difference was the hard drive space (he also said it was the first one he had seen). Over the weekend, HD was good except for the footbal games - New England v SD was particularly bad, blocking and freezing a lot. I also was not getting HD stations 770-774 (ESPN HD, Discovery HD, etc.) and when I called, they said they had to send a technician? Made no sense.

So the technician came today and told me there were HD issues "on their end" over the weekend. On Monday and today it's been great - 24, etc. were impressive. But I'll wait to see how football is this weekend. I now have all the HD channels, and have several programs recorded and the DVR says 25% full. So by my math its probably 150GB or so of storage - not bad, but not the 350GB I had with my DirecTV box... anybody know anything about this?

Also, my tech was great about hooking to the HDMI output on the box, and to the digital audio going to my receiver (of course, these were already connected to my DirecTV box so it was pretty simple). So overall, not bad. I'll report again after the football games this weekend.
post #503 of 1760 Old 01-16-2007, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHuibregtse View Post

Wow I've never seen that. That's awful.

Yeah, I called and a repair guy is coming out on Fri. I hope he can figure out what the problem is.
post #504 of 1760 Old 01-19-2007, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polekat View Post

Yeah, I called and a repair guy is coming out on Fri. I hope he can figure out what the problem is.

Your issue is with your signal level. When it was installed was a new line ran to the house??? Unless you have a newer run (within a year) that is what is supposed to happen.

As for the other person getting his new DVR, is that a Moxi?????? And as I stated earlier, the football games on FOX will be great. CBS never. Simply due to how each broadcast. FOX is 720P and CBS is 1080i.
post #505 of 1760 Old 01-19-2007, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by budone View Post

And as I stated earlier, the football games on FOX will be great. CBS never. Simply due to how each broadcast. FOX is 720P and CBS is 1080i.

Those issues with CBS are on Charters end..I have seen WWTV via OTA and it is as flawless and perfect as an HD DVD, for sporting events and all..

This is how it looked on Charter before they added NBC HD, perfect...Defintely a Charter issue. CBS is well known throughout HD circles to have the best network broadcasting HD out there, (when no subchanels are involved, and we have zero subchannels).

I have been complaining about this CBS issue on these boards for well over a year now, and Ive called Charter and made them come to my house probably a dozen times over these CBS issues..They know the problem is on their end, but until lots of other people start calling and scheduling repeated service calls over this issue, they wont fix it..They will just keep coming to my house during non HD hours, claiming they dont see the problem (because the problem really dosnet exist during non HD programming), and leaving..

AS far as NBC goes, thy have 2 subchannels..I woulndt waste any time calling Charter over NBC..With 2 subchannels there isnt anyhting Charter could ever do to make it look good during motion..NBC OTA looks every bit as bad as Charter NBC..
post #506 of 1760 Old 01-20-2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budone View Post

Your issue is with your signal level. When it was installed was a new line ran to the house??? Unless you have a newer run (within a year) that is what is supposed to happen.

As for the other person getting his new DVR, is that a Moxi?????? And as I stated earlier, the football games on FOX will be great. CBS never. Simply due to how each broadcast. FOX is 720P and CBS is 1080i.

Yes, when they initially installed my cable a year ago they put all new R6 cable in the house. The Charter guys came out yesterday and checked everything, and said the signal was good and figured it must be the HD tuner in my Moxi unit. They didn't have one to swap out for me at the time but will bring one out when they can. I then asked about a larger hard drive and they told me that they have another DVR coming out with 20GB more than the Moxi. It is a motorola HD DVR, and the regular standard definition channels are supposed to look better than they do with the Moxi. The only drawback is that is only has programing 3 days in advance as opposed to the 14 with the Moxi. I told them to wait for that. So, I will have to wait a few weeks longer, but I would rather have better looking SD channels and more storage space.

This new unit, I guess, is out but they don't have a supply built up. They get a few here and there and are slowly getting them out to people. It is a Motorola, but not with the Moxi name/software on it, but works the same.

not sure if it's this unit or not.
post #507 of 1760 Old 01-21-2007, 09:57 PM

I can confirm that you can get HD locals with charter without a STB. I just bought a JVC 32x667 LCD TV and it has a built-in QAM turner. NBC, CBS, FOX, and ABC are not encrypted and you do not need to rent a STB from charter to get these channels; I get them all and do not use a STB.

Looks like Vista Media Center should allow HDTV over QAM with OCUR - [Cannot post link to anandtech article for the new ATI OCUR card]
Really looking forward to this^:P

102-1 = NBC
102-3 = CBS
104-1 = FOX
104-2 = ABC

Also, for some reason I seem to be getting random pay-per-view movies on channels 109-2, 109-3, 109-4, etc. <- Only seen as many as 3 at a time; they just pop up and the channel disappears as the movie ends or is replaced by a currently running movie on a higher slot. Kinda weird, maybe I just get access to what other people are ordering in the neighborhood. Anyone else getting pay-per-view movies on these channels?
post #508 of 1760 Old 01-24-2007, 06:56 AM

has anyone used a cable card from charter? if yes how did it go?
post #509 of 1760 Old 01-24-2007, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I have 2 cable cards I use from Charter..They work great, and they are cheaper than the HD boxes as far as monthly fees go. You dont get any guide information though, so I use the internet for programming information.

Those Moto HD boxes that Charter uses, I believe they are the DCT6100's, they are well known to only resolving around 1400 lines of horizontal resolution. The cable cards are capable of resolving the full 1920 lines of horizontal resolution when viewing 1080i programming. To me those extra 500 lines of horizontal resolution are noticeable and make the cable cards with no guide more than worth it. The PQ is all around noticeably better with the cable cards as opposed to the DCT6100's, IMO..

EDIT: I forgot to mention that Charter does charge an absurd fee for installing cable cards, its $25 per. And you cant just go down to the local office and pick one up, its tech install only. Funny too, because all they do is plug the card into your set, bring up the diagnostic screen and call in to dispatch with a few #'s they take off the diagnostic screen. When I had my 2nd cable card installed I had to walk the tech through the whole process, and then pay $25 for it
post #510 of 1760 Old 01-24-2007, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Just noticed that channels 871-874 were added to the Charter Digital lineup today. These channels are labeled NHL/MLB.

I do believe these channels are the new In Demand HD channels for NHL Center Ice and MLB Extra Innings.

Center Ice subs with HD equipment should check these channels for possible HD games.

EDIT: The next In Demand NHL HD game is scheduled for Saturday January 27th @ 8PM
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page