Traverse City, MI - HDTV - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1760 Old 03-19-2007, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know if Fox OTA is still having problems? I noticed they took the blurb about the PSIP problems off of their website but it seems not to be working again. I get about an 85% signal strength. Last week there was a picture but no sound. Starting on Saturday there was no picture or sound but still a good signal.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1760 Old 03-20-2007, 05:03 AM

its coming in fine for me, strong signal, no audio or video problems
post #543 of 1760 Old 03-20-2007, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Has WWTV doubled their power yet?
post #544 of 1760 Old 03-21-2007, 06:16 AM

WFQX-DT is coming in fine for me as well, and I watch it for some reason or another almost daily. The only issue is that the audio level is a little lower than everybody elses. Sometimes when I switch directly from WGTU-DT to FOX-DT, it will not lock in for some reason. Other than that, all is good.
I'm not sure about this, but I think WWTV-DT is at full strength. (Until the switch back to channel 9 after analog is shut off. Then, they'll have a MONSTER digital signal)
post #545 of 1760 Old 03-21-2007, 09:49 AM

I was able to check last night and it was working fine again.
post #546 of 1760 Old 03-25-2007, 09:03 AM

I am again revisiting trying the OTA thing. I live near Boyne City and would like too know if anyone here lives anywhere near there or north of Kalkaska and is successfully getting an OTA HD signal. Antenna web claims I can get a couple of channels. I will most likely be purchasing a Channel Master 4228 antenna to try this out this summer.
post #547 of 1760 Old 03-26-2007, 09:33 AM

I got a Channel Master 4228 thats about 9 months old I'll sell ya if you want it, give ya a good deal, its in very good condition, I'm geting my HD from charter so i dont need it anymore
post #548 of 1760 Old 03-26-2007, 05:00 PM

Can any one tell me what kind of OTA experience that they have in Kalkaska? My mom is getting a pretty nice tv next week and I'm wondering if it's worth the money to get a decent OTA antenna and hook it up for her. I want her to experience some kind of HD because I know she won't be getting a hi-def receiver and the hd tier. Thanks
post #549 of 1760 Old 03-26-2007, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywatts View Post

Can any one tell me what kind of OTA experience that they have in Kalkaska? My mom is getting a pretty nice tv next week and I'm wondering if it's worth the money to get a decent OTA antenna and hook it up for her. I want her to experience some kind of HD because I know she won't be getting a hi-def receiver and the hd tier. Thanks

Jaywatts i live about 12 miles northeast of kalkaska, i get ABC, CBS, and Fox in HD. I don't get NBC but thats because my antenna is cheap and sucks
post #550 of 1760 Old 03-27-2007, 05:37 AM

Hey TVB,

Could you shoot me a price on that 4228 to greengable10@hotmail.com? I need to upgrade, and was actually looking at a yagi- type antenna, but if the price is right, I might give the 4228 a try. I get up to Interlochen every once in awhile and could pick it up.
post #551 of 1760 Old 03-27-2007, 06:49 AM

Jaywatts,

ABC, FOX, and PBS are all using 29's tower near Kalkaska for their digital stations, so you should be able to get them with just about any UHF antenna. I would think you will need a good outside antenna for CBS and NBC. Both the CBS and NBC digital stations are on UHF now, but I think they are going back to channels 9 and 7 in 2009, so you may want a VHF/UHF antenna for outside. WPBN's digital transmitter is near Traverse City, not northwest of Cadillac where their analog station is.
post #552 of 1760 Old 03-27-2007, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Isnt anyone having big probs with Charter HD lately?

I just moved into a new house about 3 months ago over by the GT Mall, and Ive had nothing but major problems with the HD channels since I got here.

I have a DCT box, and I have a cable card, and I lose channels every day on both setups. Somedays Ill completely lose 3 or 4 channels (black screen, no signal), some days no channels will work at all. Some days all the channels work but they are all glitched out and unwatchable (massive video breakups).

I will even getting different channels working on one set, and then on the other set it will be totally different channels that wont work.

Had many service calls, nothing ever gets fixed. They always tell me the problem is in the Charter Network, not at my house, and they're working on it. Yet I never see anyone on here talking about any problems at all.

Are other people seeing what Im seeing, or no?

Thank You for any responses!
post #553 of 1760 Old 03-29-2007, 07:49 PM

tvb6171:
Let me know how much you want for it. My email is knightc2 "at" msu.edu Thanks.
post #554 of 1760 Old 04-01-2007, 09:04 PM

guffy we have our share of problems with Charter, but it's intermittent at worst.

I'd say about once every 3 weeks on average, we might have some channels go black, but nothing like you describe.
post #555 of 1760 Old 04-01-2007, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

I've never seen anything that bad, just the Universal HD freezes.

"I've been ruminating. And by ruminating, I mean pondering. Not chewing my cud."
post #556 of 1760 Old 04-02-2007, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Tx for the responses guys. I finally had a Charter guy out here on Wednesday that was capable of fixing my problem, after at least 6 service calls.

All he did was install a powered amplifier and everything is perfect now, havent had a single problem since then.
post #557 of 1760 Old 04-05-2007, 06:04 AM

My wife and I have decided to buy a new HDTV. Currently, we have a 27" RCA CRT HD which looks fantastic but only supports 1080i (a huge pain with the PS3's lack of an internal scaler).

We have set our limit somewhere around $1200--a little over that limit isn't a bad thing, though, if the TV is high quality.

So, my question is, what suggestions do you have? LCD, Plasma, and DLP all look fine to us, so we have no real preference--this will be used more for gaming than anything else, IMO. We watch television about an average of 1 hour per day.

I was hoping for something in the 40-50" range, but again, if it's quality, if it's out of that range, so be it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a basic knowledge of HDTV's, but I figured I'd ask the experts before making a major purchase.
post #558 of 1760 Old 04-05-2007, 10:15 AM

I know we have a couple members from Manton here. I'm thinking about adding on to the pc in the den and doing my own dvr and getting rid of the Moxi unless Charter actually offers something else soon or actually updates to 4.1. I'm just wondering how OTA reception is in Manton as of late. I've asked a couple times before but am wondering how many of the channels do we get and if the reception is worth it. I'll probably build one anyways since I know when we go back to Baton Rouge, LA I will be able to get all of the OTA channels quite easily. I know I can definitely live without HBO HD once The Sopranos are over.
post #559 of 1760 Old 04-06-2007, 01:22 PM

Chimpy -

I was in the same boat as you about 5 months ago. I wanted to buy a new HD but only wanted to spend around $1000. After lots of research I ended up going with the Samsung HL-S5086W 50" DLP. I just thought it was the best combination of size, price, and quality for me. I bought it on Amazon for $1129 and got free shipping. A pretty good deal I think.

I have been extremely happy with the TV. The picture is awesome and I just wish I had pulled the trigger sooner. I would have loved to have HD for the whole football season but it was great having it for the playoffs and also March Madness. The Masters just started this week too and golf looks really amazing on it too.

The only knock I would have had nothing to do with the TV but more with my provider, Charter. I've had lots of issues with them in the past 3 months. I'm contemplating making the switch to dish but have not as of yet.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
post #560 of 1760 Old 04-08-2007, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblissett View Post

Chimpy -

I was in the same boat as you about 5 months ago. I wanted to buy a new HD but only wanted to spend around $1000. After lots of research I ended up going with the Samsung HL-S5086W 50" DLP. I just thought it was the best combination of size, price, and quality for me. I bought it on Amazon for $1129 and got free shipping. A pretty good deal I think.

I have been extremely happy with the TV. The picture is awesome and I just wish I had pulled the trigger sooner. I would have loved to have HD for the whole football season but it was great having it for the playoffs and also March Madness. The Masters just started this week too and golf looks really amazing on it too.

The only knock I would have had nothing to do with the TV but more with my provider, Charter. I've had lots of issues with them in the past 3 months. I'm contemplating making the switch to dish but have not as of yet.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks for responding--actually, I had just decided on that exact same TV from Amazon. Hopefully going to order it this week (may wait until AFTER wife goes into labor ).

Glad to hear the TV is worth it--I was hesitant on going for 720p instead of the 1080p, but from what I've read, 1080p isn't that great of a difference especially when watching from more than 8 feet away, which we do.
post #561 of 1760 Old 04-09-2007, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpy View Post

Glad to hear the TV is worth it--I was hesitant on going for 720p instead of the 1080p, but from what I've read, 1080p isn't that great of a difference especially when watching from more than 8 feet away, which we do.

I had a KDF-E42A10, 42" Sony RP LCD. At 720P it was stunning, coming from SD, I thought HD was the cat's meow. I just recently sold it to a friend and purchased the KDS-55A2000, 55" 1080P. I will admit, through Charter's HD service and MOXI STB's, the display looks damn close to identical. When playing a BluRay though PS3, there is no competition, although the 720P still looks awesome. I sit about 12" away.

Is anyone playing with Vista Media Center in the area? I'm just south of TC, off Rusch Rd. I hate my Charter service due to the unreliable nature of the system. OnDemand has never worked when I wanted it to. The MOXI is slow and retarded. I've just begun getting my TV's converted to Vista Media Center with Xbox 360's as extenders. The setup is sweet. I had a complex Infrared repeating network from each viewing location to the basement where both MOXI's were installed. I then had distributed RG6 Component and PCM Audio to each room, using an Autopatch 1YDM to change signal on each Moxi to the corresponding room (could finish a broadcast in a different room).

I got addicted to HD in this past 6 month timeframe, and really want HD on the Vista setup.

The question (after much rambling), has anyone used a PC based HD tuner and received Clear QAM HD from Charter? I have tried to no success. Charter claims that you need to rent a STB in order to use the clear unencrypted QAM HD Stations. This is bull, and from what I have read, borderline illegal. I was under the impression that Basic cable service should be enough to receive the Local Broadcast CBS, ABC, NBC, and Fox from the Clear QAM Charter Signal.

Does this work? What am I doing wrong. I surely hope there is a solution, as I'd love to get rid of the two Moxi rentals, two digital receiver rentals, and the HD tier. This totals almost 50$ monthly.
post #562 of 1760 Old 04-10-2007, 06:12 AM

I receive locals in HD from Charter in the clear from my two QAM tuners in my Panasonic Plasma and Sony DVR which works great and is free.
post #563 of 1760 Old 04-10-2007, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvb6171 View Post

I receive locals in HD from Charter in the clear from my two QAM tuners in my Panasonic Plasma and Sony DVR which works great and is free.

I'm going to have to stop by the local Charter Office after work to discuss this with them. I have tried both my Sony SXRD RPLCD (new model), and my 32" Bravia LCD which I know for sure has a QAM tuner in it. This is in addition to the two QAM tuners I have tried that hook to the computer.

Thanks for the ammunition... I'll be sure to talk to these guys today. I'll post my results later.
post #564 of 1760 Old 04-10-2007, 07:11 AM

I used to get some of my neighbors VOD through my QAM tuner too but they fixed that, do you have any of their filters or maybe a drop amp connected cause that could cause a problem.
post #565 of 1760 Old 04-10-2007, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willsauter View Post

I'm going to have to stop by the local Charter Office after work to discuss this with them. I have tried both my Sony SXRD RPLCD (new model), and my 32" Bravia LCD which I know for sure has a QAM tuner in it. This is in addition to the two QAM tuners I have tried that hook to the computer.

Thanks for the ammunition... I'll be sure to talk to these guys today. I'll post my results later.

I was getting all 4 networks in HD via the QAM tuner in my XBR1 SXRD..No problem, and all I was subscribed to at the time was channel 2-13.

Are you getting anything at all on your QAM tuner? There are some other channels like boomerang and few other that come through in the clear.

Im sure you did the channel scan and such, but just in case I thought Id mention it.
post #566 of 1760 Old 04-10-2007, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guffy1 View Post

I was getting all 4 networks in HD via the QAM tuner in my XBR1 SXRD..No problem, and all I was subscribed to at the time was channel 2-13.

Are you getting anything at all on your QAM tuner? There are some other channels like boomerang and few other that come through in the clear.

Im sure you did the channel scan and such, but just in case I thought Id mention it.

I only pick up the Music choice channels. I have tried both the antenna and cable input on both the KDL-32S2000 and the KDS-55A2000. Both are new TV's, The bravia was released less than a year ago, and the A2000 was released in Nov I beleive. Time for me to call charter. This is good news, though, No STB required.

Gotta get to Charter today, so I can get some sleep tonight!!! This has been driving be nuts, because I know it should work. I'm a Computer Systems Admin, so this stuff is not greek to me. interesting...

Thanks
post #567 of 1760 Old 04-10-2007, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willsauter View Post

has anyone used a PC based HD tuner and received Clear QAM HD from Charter?

HD Homerun is the only working HD tuner for MCE 2005/Vista. It costs around $170 and seems to only sell from a couple places online. It's also a dual tuner and distributes the stream over ethernet; making it by far the best unencrypted qam tuner for HD period.

made by silicondust
sold at 9thtee & pcalchemy

As far as your troubles with getting local channels in HD. Charter won't help you so going to their office is a big waste of time. Try re-scanning for the channels again - Here is where they are in TC, MI.

102-1 NBC
102-3 CBS
104-1 ABC
104-2 FOX
post #568 of 1760 Old 04-11-2007, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, I would highly doubt going down to the Charter office would do any good whatsoever.

High ranking Charter Tech to AVS Memeber: "QAM?, never heard of it. You need a digital box to pick up those channels."

I have never had a Charter Tech come to my house that knew more than I did about their services and technologies. And I dont know dick.

My Grandma is more likely to be aware of QAM capabilities than a Charter flunky.
post #569 of 1760 Old 04-11-2007, 07:26 AM

ya the guy who installed my cable card thought I was stealing HD cause I was receiving it free from QAM, he had no idea about it, and after telling him about it he still looked confused.
post #570 of 1760 Old 04-11-2007, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvb6171 View Post

ya the guy who installed my cable card thought I was stealing HD cause I was receiving it free from QAM, he had no idea about it, and after telling him about it he still looked confused.

Everytime Ive had a cable card installed Ive had to walk the tech through the process. Then pay $30.00 for the install! Gotta love Charter...
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page