post #631 of 1760 Old 08-13-2007, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvb6171 View Post

Does anyone know if you can add your own external hard drive to these new Charter DVR's?

I asked when I got mine and I was told no, its not enabled. There is a sata port though, so hopefully in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1760 Old 08-19-2007, 04:18 PM

Has anyone tried a long HDMI cable run from the output of their Charter Cable box? I want to run a second Hi-Def TV from our box (in general only oe or the other would be on at one time), and it's about 75 feet of cable run to this second TV. Will this work? Can I use a 'standard' HDMI cable or do I need one with built-in amplification.

I know what the HDMI 1.3 specs say, and I've read lots of differing opinions (from the cable makers...) on the Internet. I'm curious if anyone is actually running multiple Hi-Def TV's, at a distance, from their Charter Box.

THANKS!
Mike
post #633 of 1760 Old 08-31-2007, 01:02 PM

I see the Charter channel lineup change will be occurring in TC also Sept 12th and 18th. 3 new HD channels. 6 new channels total.
post #634 of 1760 Old 08-31-2007, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by budone View Post

I see the Charter channel lineup change will be occurring in TC also Sept 12th and 18th. 3 new HD channels. 6 new channels total.

You wouldnt happen to have a link you can direct us to would you?
post #635 of 1760 Old 08-31-2007, 05:31 PM

Yes I do.......

http://connect.charter.com/portal/se...ellineups.aspx

Go here and enter your zip code......
post #636 of 1760 Old 08-31-2007, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by budone View Post

Yes I do.......

http://connect.charter.com/portal/se...ellineups.aspx

Go here and enter your zip code......

Tx alot for the info budone!

Im really looking forward to ESPN2HD and Starz HD. MHD I can really do without, but more HD is always good either way..
post #637 of 1760 Old 09-01-2007, 01:38 PM

So how's the channel surfing on these new Motorola DVR's? any faster then the Moxie?
post #638 of 1760 Old 09-01-2007, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So how's the channel surfing on these new Motorola DVR's? any faster then the Moxie?

Its still fairly slow, but definitely an improvement over the Moxi..
post #639 of 1760 Old 09-07-2007, 05:23 AM

Whats going on with CBS through Charter? was watching CSI last night and no artifacts, it was almost like watching a HD DVD, hope it stays like this, before the picture would break up with any fast moving cameras, not last night tho, cool.
post #640 of 1760 Old 09-07-2007, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Whats going on with CBS through Charter? was watching CSI last night and no artifacts, it was almost like watching a HD DVD, hope it stays like this, before the picture would break up with any fast moving cameras, not last night tho, cool.

Its due to the digital realignment that Charter recently did. Charter has rearranged their QAM distribution system so that there are a max of 2 HD channels per QAM frequency. In the past there were 3 HD channels per QAM frequency, which was making for some pretty low bitrates.

I have noticed an improvement in all the Charter HD channels since they made this change. Having only 2 HD per QAM is a huge improvement!

I still see some pixelation/artifacting when I watch CBSHD, but its not nearly as bad as it used to be. Cinemax HD looks much better too. That was another channel that had alot of problems with pixelation/artifacting.
post #641 of 1760 Old 09-07-2007, 06:56 AM

I was really impressed with picture quality I saw last night, hope during football games now won't see the dancing grass, I got Showtime yesterday but not impressed with their picture quality, so Cinemax got better huh? might have to check that out, also got the HD tier back too, Universal look good too, but still have'nt fixed the Dolby Digital issue.
post #642 of 1760 Old 09-07-2007, 10:28 PM

I finely got a chance to compare charter (had it 2 years ago) with the dishnetwork I have now.My brother at last got a hdtv so he had charter hd hooked up.The hd looks just ok(had some pixilation problems during one of the collage football games)The Indy vs N.O. pro game had some problems during fast motion shots.Plus the new hd box was very slow changing channels(I don't remember the moxi box being that slow?)When you compare the hd programing 17 channels for charter to 40+5 over the air locals +big ten network hd for dish. I'm glad I made the swich 2 years ago.
post #643 of 1760 Old 09-09-2007, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 437
I am happy to see that the HD channel count keeps climbing on Charter. Not sure if we'll ever get as many as the DSS carriers. I have to say that all of the HD channels here on Charter look great now with this recent re-alignment, with rare exceptions (like during the Tigers on FSNHD today). I had DirecTv a few years ago before Charter added the HD option locally and I don't miss losing the signal in a downpour!
I switched to the Moto 6416 a few months ago from Moxi and it has been smooth sailing. I haven't had any problems with slow channel changing or recording glitches. I guess there are some things I miss about the Moxi but overall this is a better box.

"Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye." - 2001:ASO
post #644 of 1760 Old 09-11-2007, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Is anybody else experiencing all of the distortion on Charter's FSNHD? It happened during the Tiger's game the other day also. I haven't seen this on the other Charter HD stations. Feed problem? Channel issue? My setup?

post #645 of 1760 Old 09-11-2007, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

I've noticed it off and on like that for the last week or so. Not your setup, I've seen people complaining about it on the Grand Rapids threads here too.

"I've been ruminating. And by ruminating, I mean pondering. Not chewing my cud."
post #646 of 1760 Old 09-11-2007, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the info.

post #647 of 1760 Old 09-12-2007, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHuibregtse View Post

I've noticed it off and on like that for the last week or so. Not your setup, I've seen people complaining about it on the Grand Rapids threads here too.

Are you referring to the the "flicker" during shots?

Its happening statewide, that is an FSN issue. Was happening this summer too, but went away on its own.

It's time to give props to WLNS for the HD crawl generator!!!

Now we need WHTV to go HD and Lansing's CW to get a separate transmitter so it isn't a digital sub.
post #648 of 1760 Old 09-12-2007, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Haven't really noticed the flicker much, but the channel has been unwatchable at times due to breakups on my Motorola box. last night was one of those times. My dad has a Cable Card and had no problems at all with it.

"I've been ruminating. And by ruminating, I mean pondering. Not chewing my cud."
post #649 of 1760 Old 09-12-2007, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Charter Support on LiveChat informs me they are aware of the problem which is originating from FSN HD and that the network "is working on it". I wish Charter would list known problems on their website, which would not only keep us informed but cut down on contacts to their support department.

Strikes me as odd that not all receivers would experience the same issue with this being a problem from the network's feed. I guess things aren't necessarily as straight forward in the digital age.

post #650 of 1760 Old 09-16-2007, 11:42 AM

Anyone had a chance to check out Starz HD yet? if so how's it look?
post #651 of 1760 Old 09-18-2007, 08:36 AM

I haven't posted in a while but I would like to inquire again if anyone here (or if you know anyone) in the BC area is getting OTA HD. I am again contemplating making the jump to OTA but this will require a significant investment (Antenna, rotor, mast(s) and mounts and a ATSC tuner) so I want to see if anyone has had success in my area. I think that Fox, ABC and PBS from the Kalkaska tower will be my best bet. I am about 33 miles away and have many trees to contend with. NBC and CBS will be long shots at best. Antenna Web seems to think its doable but I am skeptical.

Anyway, if you or anyone you know has had success with OTA HD channels in my neck of the woods, I'd love to know.

Thanks,

Chris
post #652 of 1760 Old 09-18-2007, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightc2 View Post

I haven't posted in a while but I would like to inquire again if anyone here (or if you know anyone) in the BC area is getting OTA HD. I am again contemplating making the jump to OTA but this will require a significant investment (Antenna, rotor, mast(s) and mounts and a ATSC tuner) so I want to see if anyone has had success in my area. I think that Fox, ABC and PBS from the Kalkaska tower will be my best bet. I am about 33 miles away and have many trees to contend with. NBC and CBS will be long shots at best. Antenna Web seems to think its doable but I am skeptical.

Anyway, if you or anyone you know has had success with OTA HD channels in my neck of the woods, I'd love to know.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris,
I'm down in Mesick with the same terrain (hills, trees, etc.) as you. I've had great success picking up ABC, FOX and PBS out of Kalkaska (36 miles away) with a CM 4221 on an Akai 32" HDTV. CBS and NBC have been more troublesome from my location and they are closer. 23 miles for CBS and 25 for NBC. I found from tvfool.com why I couldn't get CBS: there is a hill in the way, so line of sight reception was not possible. I ended up pointing the other antenna (CM 4228) more south away from their broadcast tower and can now get CBS reliably. I think NBC suffers from multipath and tends to go south when the wind blows. I'm hoping when the leaves drop that reception is more consistent. I have both antennas connected to a CM 7777 preamp before entering the house. I didn't want a rotor, hence the two antennas. I did try a disk antenna (Winegard MS2000), but it just wouldn't pull anything in reliably.

The ATSC tuners in my two DVD recorders (LG and Panasonic) are better than the tuner in the Akai TV as reception on all channels is solid unless the wind really blows and even then there are only occasional drop outs.

There have been a few clear nights where I've been able to pick up broadcasts out of Green Bay and Milwaukee, too. These stations are over 115 miles from me!

If you can wait and don't have a device with an ATSC tuner now, the "coupon approved" digital STB's are supposed to be available next year. This would allow you to try DTV on your existing analog TV at minimal cost. Check out dennysantennaservice.com for indoor and outdoor antennas. He also has a 90 day money back guarantee if the one you pick doesn't work. He's a good guy and stands by what he sells. I bought the disk from him and exchanged it for the 4228.

Good luck and if I can help, just yell.
-Kevin
post #653 of 1760 Old 09-18-2007, 10:46 AM

Thanks Mesickstan. Maybe I will wait for the $40 voucher. I have been eyeing the PHD-205 tuner from http://www.epvision.com/ but am reluctant to spend $150 for something that may not work for me. I have a 46" Sony HDTV but it does not have an ATSC tuner.

As you have, I am looking to purchase the CM 4228 and the 7777 as well. They seem to be the best for fringe areas. Not sure on the rotor, but I may not need it if I am only able to get the 3 stations on the Kalkaska tower. WTOM NBC in Cheybogan is 46 miles from me and looks like a long shot (are they even broadcasting HD from this tower) and CBS is 76 miles from me and looks impossible at this time. What really makes me mad is that even in Feb of 2008 when the switch to digital is made I still won't have access to all of my locals OTA and will likely not be able to get them via satellite either. I wish CBS would allow me to get a national feed via satellite but that is another story.

Thanks for the tip about Denny's Antenna Service. Looks like he is a reputable guy. If anyone has anymore to add about OTA in the BC area please let me know. Thanks again.
post #654 of 1760 Old 09-18-2007, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesickstan View Post

Check out dennysantennaservice.com for indoor and outdoor antennas. He also has a 90 day money back guarantee if the one you pick doesn't work. He's a good guy and stands by what he sells.

Thanks for the link, i've been looking for a new antenna and this guy looks great

It's time to give props to WLNS for the HD crawl generator!!!

Now we need WHTV to go HD and Lansing's CW to get a separate transmitter so it isn't a digital sub.
post #655 of 1760 Old 09-18-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:

... Maybe I will wait for the $40 voucher. I have been eyeing the PHD-205 tuner from http://www.epvision.com/ but am reluctant to spend $150 for something that may not work for me. I have a 46" Sony HDTV but it does not have an ATSC tuner. ...

As I understand it, the coupon/voucher approved converter boxes are really designed for standard analog TV's and won't do HD. While you can connect it to an HDTV, you'll only get an SD picture. The links below show they will only have RF, composite and S-video connections.

http://www.ceretailers.org/CERC%20Co...n%204.5.07.pdf

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/dtvcoupon/DTVmanufacturers.pdf
post #656 of 1760 Old 09-18-2007, 02:03 PM

Yes, I read that this afternoon. Looks like analog output only. No sense in waiting for the vouchers. I'll just keep my eyes open for a good deal on a tuner.
post #657 of 1760 Old 09-18-2007, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

I thought the vouchers were going to be applicable to any ATSC receiver. That stinks.

post #658 of 1760 Old 09-27-2007, 02:46 PM

Does anyone know if NBC is broadcasting HD from their Cheboygan tower and if so is it at full power?
post #659 of 1760 Old 09-28-2007, 08:27 AM

Quote:

Does anyone know if NBC is broadcasting HD from their Cheboygan tower and if so is it at full power?

I sent your message on to Mike Miller (mmiller@tv7-4.com) at 7&4 and received this:

Thanks for taking the time to write. We currently do not have a true digital signal in Cheboygan, as we up-convert our analog signal to feed the Cheboygan digital transmitter. We were also recently purchased by Barrington Broadcasting and are in the process of evaluating our DTV plan for both WTOM and WPBN. I'll keep your e-mail on file and update you are plans develop.

Thanks for watching TV7&4.

Sincerely,

Mike Miller

Chief Engineer

WPBN / WTOM TV7&4
post #660 of 1760 Old 09-28-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:

They have a very bad upconverted stretched picture. The engineers obviously don't look and don't care about the picture. You know how the networks have the score on the top of the screen as an example during a game. TV4's stretch moves the scores off the screen and are not viewable. Faces and bodies are so grossly distorted by the stretch that it becomes at time macabre to watch. Yes channel 4 has an digital counterpart but I would certainly not recommend it for viewing.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page