Traverse City, MI - HDTV - Page 26 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #751 of 1760 Old 03-26-2008, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've heard rumblings of HGTV-HD and Food-HD. Charter has deals with a bunch of networks though, it could be anything.

"I've been ruminating. And by ruminating, I mean pondering. Not chewing my cud."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 1760 Old 04-01-2008, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Mike Miller at 7&4 says they had an encoder fail. He's having a difficult time getting a replacement, but hopes to have RTN back on the air by the weekend.
post #753 of 1760 Old 04-02-2008, 06:42 AM

What are the plans with 29&8 now that the deal with Tucker Broadcasting has gone through? I heard they've entered into a JSA with Barington Broadcasting (7&4), but not exactly sure what will happen with the station now.

And did the CW become part of this as well?
post #754 of 1760 Old 04-06-2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesickstan View Post

Mike Miller at 7&4 says they had an encoder fail. He's having a difficult time getting a replacement, but hopes to have RTN back on the air by the weekend.

Both RTN and NBC Weather Plus are both OFF AIR. That means I missed Simon & Simon, The A-Team and Knight Rider. Hope both come ON AIR soon.

Jed "Freddy" Raybould
post #755 of 1760 Old 04-15-2008, 02:01 PM

TLC and Disc in HD now (Charter). Just noticed last night. I live in Manistee.
post #756 of 1760 Old 04-15-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarshal View Post

Cool.

You're a whore.....You'll always be a whore...
post #757 of 1760 Old 04-15-2008, 02:06 PM

What's up with FSNHD, channel 791? The other day I was flipping through and there was something there for once, but a few minutes later it was gone. That's the only time I've ever seen it show anything other than that color test pattern thing.

post #758 of 1760 Old 04-15-2008, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 2358
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanT View Post

What's up with FSNHD, channel 791? The other day I was flipping through and there was something there for once, but a few minutes later it was gone. That's the only time I've ever seen it show anything other than that color test pattern thing.

Only some of the pro games you would see on FSN are simulcast there. Mostly home games at this point.

"Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye."
post #759 of 1760 Old 04-17-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarshal View Post

What type of HD receiver do you have? If you have a MOXI box you notice that the channel name, channel logo and program information are reversed. I have a MOXI box and 796 is TLC HD (which has the Discovery HD information) and 797 is Discovery HD (which has the TLC HD information).

Jed "Freddy" Raybould
post #760 of 1760 Old 04-18-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedFRaybould View Post

What type of HD receiver do you have? If you have a MOXI box you notice that the channel name, channel logo and program information are reversed. I have a MOXI box and 796 is TLC HD (which has the Discovery HD information) and 797 is Discovery HD (which has the TLC HD information).

It's working right with my Motorola DCH3416. This thing is so slow though... I just got this box and I hate it. I just wanted an HDMI output.

post #761 of 1760 Old 04-18-2008, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanT View Post

It's working right with my Motorola DCH3416. This thing is so slow though... I just got this box and I hate it. I just wanted an HDMI output.

OK, earlier today I checked on my MOXI box and both channels are corrected now. Now, I can hide the analog versions from my Channel list on my MOXI box.

Jed "Freddy" Raybould
post #762 of 1760 Old 04-21-2008, 06:30 PM

Anyone know exactly how stations are going/supposed to sign-off their analog channel?

Is it the "old" FCC regulation, with the Call-sign being stated, ERP, National Anthem, etc. ?

Or is it going to just be a short announcement of some sort?
post #763 of 1760 Old 04-29-2008, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianomany2k View Post

Anyone know exactly how stations are going/supposed to sign-off their analog channel?

Is it the "old" FCC regulation, with the Call-sign being stated, ERP, National Anthem, etc. ?

Or is it going to just be a short announcement of some sort?

A brief announcement and then if your TV is tuned to one of these channels, it will just start sparking and smoking.
post #764 of 1760 Old 04-29-2008, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

FYI, the latest from WPBN/WTOM regarding poor digital overage in northern areas: (entire email posted)

RESPONSE:

Thanks for taking the time to write. The transition from analog to digital television probably won’t go down in history as the smoothest technology change ever. At this point in time, the 78KW ERP that you mention from Cheboygan is correct. There are several other factors going on in the background that I can’t elaborate on, that may resolve poor signal into the Soo.

The next 12 months will prove to be most interesting. I’ll keep your e-mail address and update you as changes in coverage or philosophy take place.

Sincerely,

Mike Miller

WPBN / WTOM TV7&4

INITIAL EMAIL:
E-mail: swiat

Will WTOM's digital signal be increasing power before the Feb 2009 digital TV switchover date? Right now, coverage estimates show that the 78kW signal will not reach the Soo and does a poor job into the eastern U.P. WTOM analog 4 has a much larger footprint, obviously. It seems there is a significant difference
in coverage between analog and digital.

Reference:http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...-DT%26type%3dD
post #765 of 1760 Old 04-29-2008, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Similar problem with WCML-DT
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...-DT%26type%3dD

No plans from WCMU/WCML to cover the Eastern U.P. either. Looks like the far NW L.P. will get hit hard too.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...-DT%26type%3dD

There is no digital FOX transmission planned except for Kalkaska which the Eastern U.P. and tip of the mitt won't get. Although, my understanding is that the channel 43 analog translator from Pickford will still be on the air. The engineer at WWTV/WWUP thought my idea of putting FOX on 10-2 was a good one, so maybe that will happen. Who knows.

Yikes!
post #766 of 1760 Old 04-29-2008, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

post #767 of 1760 Old 04-30-2008, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I am getting ready to switch to Directv which has no HD Locals and I was hoping to get some feedback on the reliability of our local HD channels via QAM before I do this.

Have The Big 4 HD networks been reliable in the last 6 months or so via QAM? Are there any other HD channels available via QAM in our area?

Tx for your help!
post #768 of 1760 Old 05-01-2008, 05:19 AM

I've used QAM through Charter for the past year, I just last week got a HD TiVo, but ya QAM is pretty reliable, you also get the FSN channel in HD too, its channel 104-2, the locals are 107-1 for NBC, 107-3 for CBS, 108-1 for FOX, and 108-2 for ABC, you can also pick up the first 14 analog channels in digital now too, I forget the numbers but they are in the 83-?, they look pretty good too.
post #769 of 1760 Old 05-02-2008, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

DTV DOES have HD locals, indirectly. Just order
a) the H20 (has built-in OTA ATSC tuner)
-or-
b) the H21 with USB add on AM21 (add on ATSC tuner for H21).

The H21 you can get from anywhere. The H20 you can get from Solidsignal.com
Dump cable. More HD, better price. Good move!

Go to tvfool.com to find out what's available locally and the coverage patterns. Be prepared to wait a long time for TC/Cadillac/SSM HD to be via satellite. There are about 100+ markets ahead of you. OTA (over the air) is the way to go... less compression= better picture
post #770 of 1760 Old 05-02-2008, 04:54 PM

I can't speak for Directv but Dish was rumored to have TC locals in HD in 2008. They had a display at the CES show that showed a map of all the upcoming 2008 HD markets and TC was listed. This assumes that Dish's recent failed launch of their latest satellite won't affect their local HD rollout in 2008.
post #771 of 1760 Old 05-04-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiat View Post

WWUP and WGTQ have good coverage.

Soo, ON digital stations cover the Eastern U.P. reasonably too.

They should cover the Eastern U.P. well. Both are located near Goetzville, if I'm not mistaken.

Too bad the coverage of WGTQ is pretty dismal in Cheboygan. I can pick up WWUP just fine (on a good day), and to some extent picked up WCMV in Cadillac (strangly enough, couldn't pick up WGTU from Kalkaska or WFQX).

I live about eight miles north of the WTOM tower, and at odd times, I'll lose that signal, but still recieve WCML from Alpena. Granted, I am running off an internal HD antenna.
post #772 of 1760 Old 05-05-2008, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

They should cover the Eastern U.P. well. Both are located near Goetzville, if I'm not mistaken.

Too bad the coverage of WGTQ is pretty dismal in Cheboygan. I can pick up WWUP just fine (on a good day), and to some extent picked up WCMV in Cadillac (strangly enough, couldn't pick up WGTU from Kalkaska or WFQX).

I live about eight miles north of the WTOM tower, and at odd times, I'll lose that signal, but still recieve WCML from Alpena. Granted, I am running off an internal HD antenna.

I hope I don't sound insulting in pointing this out, I just want to help those who may be confused... but you do know that there is no such thing as an HD antenna right? The HD channels are in the same frequency spectrum as regular analog signals, just on different frequencies (channels)... WWUP on 10 analog and 49 digital, for example. The only difference is that now analog signals are 2 through 69. The digital channels will only be 2 through 51.

That "HD antenna" stuff is a marketing gimmick.

Thanks for the input on WTOM. It's a shame what's going to happen to NBC viewers across the northern areas of the market (losing NBC over the air). Maybe things will change though. Let's be optimistic.
post #773 of 1760 Old 05-05-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the input on WTOM. It's a shame what's going to happen to NBC viewers across the northern areas of the market (losing NBC over the air). Maybe things will change though. Let's be optimistic.

I realized after I posted it that I said "HD"....

I'm sure Barington will fix the ERP issue of WTOM eventually, so that the UP can recieve the signal, or at least put up a repeater.

I'm curious to see what will happen with Fox though. If I remember correctly, someone said there aren't any plans to have a full-time satellite of WFQX-DT.
post #774 of 1760 Old 05-07-2008, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm curious to see what will happen with Fox though. If I remember correctly, someone said there aren't any plans to have a full-time satellite of WFQX-DT.

Yep, you're right. Just a transmitter in Kalkaska.
post #775 of 1760 Old 05-09-2008, 09:02 PM

Quote:

Yep, you're right. Just a transmitter in Kalkaska.

What is the reason behind just having one transmitter? They can't increase the power to cover the entire region.
post #776 of 1760 Old 05-12-2008, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What is the reason behind just having one transmitter? They can't increase the power to cover the entire region.

Probably a financial issue. New transmitters aren't cheap. (I'm going to assume that's the reason behind the Fisher-Price like transmitter power on WTOM-DT, too.) FOX has some low power analog translators in the Eastern U.P. Maybe they have long term plans to put a full power station in the Eastern U.P. like WWUP and WGTQ.
post #777 of 1760 Old 05-15-2008, 07:23 AM

Quote:

FOX has some low power analog translators in the Eastern U.P. Maybe they have long term plans to put a full power station in the Eastern U.P. like WWUP and WGTQ.

That would actually make more sense...upgrade W43CM in Pickford, as that would be able to cover the remaining areas
post #778 of 1760 Old 05-15-2008, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Yep. The Rockview (Pickford) site is in a very nice spot, both height-wise and centrally located to get SSM/Petoskey and Cheboygan if they use enough power. The W43CM has much better coverage 10 miles south of the Soo then W61CR which is much closer. My understanding is that the analog translators are not required to be off air by Feb '09, just the full power analog stations have to be turned off.
post #779 of 1760 Old 05-15-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:

My understanding is that the analog translators are not required to be off air by Feb '09, just the full power analog stations have to be turned off.

That's odd. Why would translators be exempt? In any case, W43CM should have a power boost.

Something else I'm curious of, is why Alpena has it's own market, when it's only two counties. What is the point? And why is WBKB the only station?
post #780 of 1760 Old 05-16-2008, 05:36 AM

CMU's WCML-DT is also in the "Alpena" market.

I think one reason translators are exempt is because the government knows that many small stations would just shut them off rather than spend the money upgrading them to digital. That would mean a lot of remote communities would lose much, or all of the free over the air TV they have now. Sounds like the FCC will be working on getting translators converted to digital in the next few years.

Being all the TV channels above 51 are going to be shut down next year, I would think that the W61CR translator near the Soo will have to change to a different channel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception