Traverse City, MI - HDTV - Page 27 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #781 of 1760 Old 05-16-2008, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I forgot about WCML.

Now, with the bandwidth being so much smaller in the first place with digital, why is there need to limit the spectrum to 51?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 1760 Old 05-19-2008, 06:47 AM

pianomany2k,

So Congress can sell the upper TV channels to help pay their (our) bills. I'm sure the companies that are buying the spectrum will be passing on their cost to the users of the new things that they put on those frequencies.
post #783 of 1760 Old 05-19-2008, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb8tgy View Post

Being all the TV channels above 51 are going to be shut down next year, I would think that the W61CR translator near the Soo will have to change to a different channel.

Good point. I just checked the FCC database and there is no new license application for any analog translator in the channel 2-51 under Cadillac Telecasting (owner of W61CR) for SSM.

This is getting more interesting by the day. My hunch is that FOX will end up on 10-2 from what I posted a while back from an email exchange with the WWTV/WWUP/WFQX engineer.
post #784 of 1760 Old 05-20-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiat View Post

My hunch is that FOX will end up on 10-2 from what I posted a while back from an email exchange with the WWTV/WWUP/WFQX engineer.

That doesn't surprise me. If you think about it, this is *sort of* going back to pre-1971. WWTV/WWUP and WPBN/WTOM controlling the entire market.
post #785 of 1760 Old 05-26-2008, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvb6171 View Post

I've used QAM through Charter for the past year, I just last week got a HD TiVo, but ya QAM is pretty reliable, you also get the FSN channel in HD too, its channel 104-2, the locals are 107-1 for NBC, 107-3 for CBS, 108-1 for FOX, and 108-2 for ABC, you can also pick up the first 14 analog channels in digital now too, I forget the numbers but they are in the 83-?, they look pretty good too.

Finally switched over to Directv this morning. Channels I had to have that Charter has been dragging their feet on forever: Big Ten HD, TBSHD, NFLHD, FOODHD. I waited as long as I could for Charter and just couldnt do it anymore.

Anyways, thanks for the QAM info tvb, very helpful. All 3 of mt HDTV's pick up the 5 HD QAM channels great, and this is by subbing to Charter Internet only, no other services.

And I have to send many thanks your way for the info on FSDHD. Had no idea this was available via QAM and probably never would have known had you not told me. What this means for me is that I can move my Directtv service address to Milwaukee now (for the extra set of HD locals, and an extra HD RSN), and not have to worry about not getting my FSD HD via Directv. Things are awesome now baby!
post #786 of 1760 Old 05-27-2008, 04:09 PM

Why is it that there is never anything on FSNHD? All I ever see on that channel is the video color test bar pattern with the constant test tone or whatever it's called.

You're a whore.....You'll always be a whore...
post #787 of 1760 Old 05-27-2008, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanT View Post

Why is it that there is never anything on FSNHD? All I ever see on that channel is the video color test bar pattern with the constant test tone or whatever it's called.

It only goes HD when theres an HD game on. Tonight the game is SD only, so 791 will be showing the test pattern. 35 will have the game, in SD.
post #788 of 1760 Old 05-31-2008, 07:52 AM

What digital channels should be available at elevation 800' near Eastport MI, and where are the transmission antennas? If this has been summarized in this thread, point out the posting number please.
post #789 of 1760 Old 05-31-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guffy1 View Post

It only goes HD when theres an HD game on. Tonight the game is SD only, so 791 will be showing the test pattern. 35 will have the game, in SD.

Thanks. I could never figure that out.

You're a whore.....You'll always be a whore...
post #790 of 1760 Old 05-31-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtedwards View Post

What digital channels should be available at elevation 800' near Eastport MI, and where are the transmission antennas? If this has been summarized in this thread, point out the posting number please.

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

Click on the choose an antenna button. Enter your location and it will give you transmitter locations.
ABC, Fox and PBS should be easy. NBC and CBS not so easy.

John
post #791 of 1760 Old 06-06-2008, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter

I noticed today that WLLZ-LP, Channel 12, is being carried on Charter channel 202! It's about time! I used to watch it a lot when I lived on the west side of Traverse City.

"I've been ruminating. And by ruminating, I mean pondering. Not chewing my cud."
post #792 of 1760 Old 06-06-2008, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Is that the channel that has been showing occassional Piston games over the last few years? If so, wow, its about time Charter got off the snide on that one. Anyone know if this channel can be picked up over QAM?

Ill be jealous knowing Charter has that channel next year when Im missing Piston games as a Directtv sub. Oh well...One can only sit back and watch Charter drag their HD feet for so long.

Once they add more HD channels the quality of their HD will just decline even more anyways (if its possible for them to get any worse). I doubt Ill be too jealous. These Directtv MPEG-4 HD channels make Charter HD look pretty silly, IMO.
post #793 of 1760 Old 06-06-2008, 07:59 AM

Quote:

Ill be jealous knowing Charter has that channel next year when Im missing Piston games as a Directtv sub.
IMO.

Have you read this post?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...s#post13419165
Important sentence: "The Pistons' deal kicks in next season, when FSN for the first time will own rights to all local telecasts. This season, Pistons games have been on FSN and Channels 20 and 4 in Detroit. "

The part I don't know is how that impacts a TC subscriber since I'm a Detroit subscriber.

John
post #794 of 1760 Old 06-06-2008, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by water1 View Post

Have you read this post?
Important sentence: "The Pistons' deal kicks in next season, when FSN for the first time will own rights to all local telecasts. This season, Pistons games have been on FSN and Channels 20 and 4 in Detroit. "

The part I don't know is how that impacts a TC subscriber since I'm a Detroit subscriber.

Wow, thanks for the link! That is great news for us Northern Michiganders who have been getting screwed out of Tiger/Pistons/Wings games for years.
post #795 of 1760 Old 06-06-2008, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have you read this post?

Are you getting the Detroit spot beam in Suttons Bay from Directtv? If so, how are the signals?
post #796 of 1760 Old 06-06-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:

Are you getting the Detroit spot beam in Suttons Bay from Directtv? If so, how are the signals?

When the MPEG4 spots first came online They were extremely weak in SB. Then they added channel 20 to a different spot beam and it came in fine. Last summer the spot beam with the major networks became much stronger and it now works fine.
I get all the local networks OTA but my wife likes the fact she doesn't have to reprogram her DVR now when she brings it North for the summer plus they don't show all the sports that the Detroit stations do.

John
post #797 of 1760 Old 06-06-2008, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When the MPEG4 spots first came online They were extremely weak in SB. Then they added channel 20 to a different spot beam and it came in fine. Last summer the spot beam with the major networks became much stronger and it now works fine.
I get all the local networks OTA but my wife likes the fact she doesn't have to reprogram her DVR now when she brings it North for the summer plus they don't show all the sports that the Detroit stations do.

Tx for the info, appreciate it. I have been considering a "move" to either Green Bay or Milwaukee. Knowing that the Detroit spot beams are reaching all the way up here makes me feel pretty confident that Green Bay or Milwaukee should reach this far as well.
post #798 of 1760 Old 06-07-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:

Tx for the info, appreciate it. I have been considering a "move" to either Green Bay or Milwaukee. Knowing that the Detroit spot beams are reaching all the way up here makes me feel pretty confident that Green Bay or Milwaukee should reach this far as well.

I'm not sure one equals the other. My understanding is that they can adjust the coverage area of the spotbeams so I assumed they added a DMA to the transponder that required expanding the coverage area.
I read a lot on these forums but don't neccessarily understand it so I may be wrong. I think the only way to find out for sure short of moving is to find someone WI that vacations here and brings their box.

John
post #799 of 1760 Old 06-16-2008, 11:07 AM

Where is the HD feed of the US Open Playoff??? 7&4 just has a blank screen

*** Nevermind, it just came on!!!
post #800 of 1760 Old 06-24-2008, 09:41 AM

First two days of tournament, 7-4 came on (ch784 on Charter) in non-HD. First day I called them about 10 minutes into telecast & they basically told me I was crazy but they would check anyway. Turned out someone hadn't flipped a switch to change broadcast to HD. Second day I didn't call but some else must have because it took about 5-10 minutes again for the HD to kick in. Unbelieveable in this day and age it takes a human to flip a switch for this to occur. Surely technology must be available for them to automatically broadcast HD feeds from the network.
post #801 of 1760 Old 06-26-2008, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 134
I noticed last night that Animal Planet HD is now in the Traverse City lineup on channel 798. Hadn't seen any message or notice about this yet. Might not have been my next choice, but glad to see they continue to add more HD channels. Picture's good up this way, but I'm not sure how much APHD truly offers in HD programming vs. the upscaled material I have seen thus far.

"Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye." - 2001:ASO
post #802 of 1760 Old 06-26-2008, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Have you seen the Charter commercials advertising that they have more HD "Choices" than any other provider? Kind of a gutsy claim when they only have 23 HD channels. In any case, Animal Planet HD is a nice add. I sure would like to see National Geographic HD.

"I've been ruminating. And by ruminating, I mean pondering. Not chewing my cud."
post #803 of 1760 Old 06-26-2008, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHuibregtse View Post

Have you seen the Charter commercials advertising that they have more HD "Choices" than any other provider? Kind of a gutsy claim when they only have 23 HD channels. In any case, Animal Planet HD is a nice add. I sure would like to see National Geographic HD.

They have a bunch of national HD carriage agreements in place
other than the channels they are currently giving us Northern Michiganders. From the list I saw they may just possibly have the most HD channels of any cable provider . Why they continue to habitually drag their feet on adding HD in our market is beyond me. They have at least 10 other HD channels available in other Charter markets that they could be giving us up here.

I personally got sick of waiting and switched over to Directv, couldnt be happier. My bill is way less than what I was paying Charter, and I get a boatload more HD.
post #804 of 1760 Old 06-26-2008, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHuibregtse View Post

Gutsy or misleading, take your pick. I understand that they calculate PPV HD into that equation, too. Glad to hear that D* is working out for you, Guffy.

"Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye." - 2001:ASO
post #805 of 1760 Old 06-26-2008, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCasualty View Post

Gutsy or misleading, take your pick. I understand that they calculate PPV HD into that equation, too. Glad to hear that D* is working out for you, Guffy.

Its working, but I would much rather not have the dish on my roof, or rain fade issues to worry about it. When Charter gets off the snide Im sure Ill be crawling back to them. Theyll have to add Big Ten HD, NFL Net HD, and TBSHD before theyll work for me though. Those are really the only 3 channels that made me switch to Directv.
post #806 of 1760 Old 07-05-2008, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does anybody on here live in the Traverse City-Cadillac Charter market area and who has a MOXI box? If anybody does and do you notice that there are now 3 channels that don't display or the correct channel information. The 3 channels that I am talking about are Channel 202 which is WLLZ-LP - America One (currently reads [MOXI LOGO] Channel 202 (TBA)), Channel 798 which is Animal Planet HD (currently reads [MOXI LOGO] Channel 798 (TBA)) and Channel 800 which is now iNDEMAND GAME HD/EVENTS iNDEMAND HD (currently reads [MOXI PAY-PER-VIEW LOGO] Pay-Per-View Previews). On your MOXI box does it display the correct information for those 3 channels that I mentioned.

Jed "Freddy" Raybould
post #807 of 1760 Old 07-11-2008, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member

My family has a summer cottage in Leelanau County and I'm playing around with the antenna and digital converters trying to prepare for next year. We have a rooftop antenna with both VHF and UHF, but the trees are thick and unfortunately our opening faces north. I shifted the antenna in various directions and by doing that I was able to get pretty much everything except channel 9 (CBS). I seem to get 29 and 27 (PBS) easily.

As it is right now we get in the digital realm: 29.1, 29.2, 27.2, 27.3 and 33 with the antenna facing SE. If I shift it more southerly I can get 7.1, 7.2 and 7.3 but I lose the ABC channels. I never did pull in channel 9. This was about 1pm on Monday afternoon. I assume ch 9 was broadcasting in digital at that time.

My question is this: Is channel 9 digital up to full power yet? Is it digital all day long? I was told that some stations such as 7/4 were not yet broadcasting at full digital power so as to conserve money. I don't know what the situation is with ch 9. I'm thinking I'll need to install a rotor. Any other suggestions?
post #808 of 1760 Old 07-12-2008, 05:07 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post

My family has a summer cottage in Leelanau County and I'm playing around with the antenna and digital converters trying to prepare for next year. We have a rooftop antenna with both VHF and UHF, but the trees are thick and unfortunately our opening faces north. I shifted the antenna in various directions and by doing that I was able to get pretty much everything except channel 9 (CBS). I seem to get 29 and 27 (PBS) easily.

As it is right now we get in the digital realm: 29.1, 29.2, 27.2, 27.3 and 33 with the antenna facing SE. If I shift it more southerly I can get 7.1, 7.2 and 7.3 but I lose the ABC channels. I never did pull in channel 9. This was about 1pm on Monday afternoon. I assume ch 9 was broadcasting in digital at that time.

My question is this: Is channel 9 digital up to full power yet? Is it digital all day long? I was told that some stations such as 7/4 were not yet broadcasting at full digital power so as to conserve money. I don't know what the situation is with ch 9. I'm thinking I'll need to install a rotor. Any other suggestions?

7 & 9 are currently broadcasting digital signals on channels 50 and 40, respectively, all day long. After Feb 17 next year they will be broadcasting on their current analog channels. This means their signals should be stronger and more consistent. What might be a problem for your summer home, is that 7 will be broadcasting from their Harrietta tower instead of from M-72 (their current digital antenna) One recommendation for next year might be a VHF antenna pointed toward Harrietta and Cadillac and an UHF antenna pointed toward Kalkaska for ABC, FOX and PBS. For now, either the rotator or multiple UHF antennas would be options. Check out http://tvfool.com for current and post transition information.
post #809 of 1760 Old 07-12-2008, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post

Can you be more specific about your location? I can receive all the discussed channels in Suttons Bay but a friend slighly south of me can't get ch 9. I have a couple of antennas here I'm not using that I could loan you for testing purposes.

John
post #810 of 1760 Old 07-12-2008, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

I'm on Ingall's Bay in Omena. Satellite Dish is out of the question because we don't have any southern exposure and we have no cable coverage either. I have a rooftop antenna that we've had for years and a powered amplifier on it as well. As for the analog stations we get FOX beautifully on ch 45. We get channel 7 and ch 6 (PBS) fairly well but not as good as 45. We get ch 9 and 29 OK but not great. That's without a rotor. I briefly got digital ch 4 (NBC) a week ago on Saturday morning. I don't know why.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page