Traverse City, MI - HDTV - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 1760 Old 08-24-2005, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Talked to the local Charter yesterday, sounds promising on 7&4 hdtv coming to charter soon, no date set, but they heard rumors, hope its true.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1760 Old 08-24-2005, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

While I do hope it's true, these are the same clowns that said Fox33 would be on the HD tier by January 2005.

"I've been ruminating. And by ruminating, I mean pondering. Not chewing my cud."
post #63 of 1760 Old 08-25-2005, 05:21 AM

ya your probaly right, cause they then tried to get me to sign up for it, and talked on how good HDNET was, so probaly just rumors.
post #64 of 1760 Old 08-27-2005, 01:56 PM

Not to stand in the way of HDTV, but why shouldn't the cable companies have to pay the local stations for the HD signal? It's definitely not a free upgrade for the stations and cable companies stand to gain membership by drawing away sat subcribers who cannot get HDTV network signals via any other method.

That being said -- there's always the option of using Canadian satellite companies (which transmit all the major US networks in HD).

Quote:
Originally Posted by budone View Post

It is not so much the networks as the owners of the individual stations.

Here in W. Mich, the CBS station is owned by Freedom Broadcasting. They basically want cable companies to pay for the upgrade they have to do anyways. So Charter, Comcast and the rest will never place there HD channel in their lineups.

post #65 of 1760 Old 08-28-2005, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlcarson View Post

Not to stand in the way of HDTV, but why shouldn't the cable companies have to pay the local stations for the HD signal? It's definitely not a free upgrade for the stations and cable companies stand to gain membership by drawing away sat subcribers who cannot get HDTV network signals via any other method.

That being said -- there's always the option of using Canadian satellite companies (which transmit all the major US networks in HD).

I am not saying they should not pay a fee (we do get ABC, FOX, and NBC and the cable companies pay a fee for those). But to ask for a fee that is outragously obscene compared to other agreements seems a bit unfair.

Also Freedom, even though they say. 'You can always receive our signal for free with an OTA antenna' they know with their digital channel being on channel 2 makes receiving their signal nearly impossible for most of us north of Kalamazoo.
post #66 of 1760 Old 09-12-2005, 02:17 PM

I have been able to lock in 57-1 (wcml-hd - 6.1), 57-2 (wcml-sd - 6.2), and 57-3 (wcml-sh - 6.3). No picture or sound but solid signal. Obviously very soon for PBS in the northern tip of the mit.
post #67 of 1760 Old 09-14-2005, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

In Traverse City I have been locked onto 27-1(HD), 27-2, 27-3 for about 3 days now.

No sound no video, as mentioned above, but it appears PBSHD is getting close..

I believe the tower for these channels is in Kalkaska?

The same tower that transmits that lame ABC digital 29-1 (No HD, anyone know if it ever will be)?
post #68 of 1760 Old 09-15-2005, 05:16 AM

Hey guys! Get off your butts, check your Moxi's channel list (to call it a channel guide would be a cruel joke)and check out NBC HD! It just popped up here in Manton yesterday! Ch. 784
post #69 of 1760 Old 09-15-2005, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Yep, just popped up on my Charter system yesterday, Channel 784, as noted above..

How nice of these idiots to let us all know!

I actually called Charter yesterday to give them my weekly harassing about their HD lineup, and they told me nothing would be added in the near future that they knew of!

Well, hats off the the worst public utility in the history of the United States, I guess!

Too bad I was already able to pick up this channel OTA with zero problems..

Now all they need is TNT and ESPN2 and Ill be all set...

Then maybe someday after that maybe ABC and FOX will begin transmitting HD around here? Maybe by 2010?

Charter has a long ways to go, LOL

P.S. It seems to me that some of the other HD channels are suffering now that they added the first new HD in about 2 years. Specifically HDNet and Showtime Ive noticed are having issues..

Hopefully this gets fixed in the next few years, lol!
post #70 of 1760 Old 09-15-2005, 06:37 AM

Yes, I too did my weekly harassing of Charter by asking about the newer Moxi boxes(BMC 9022 and Moxi Mate) and Video on Demand. Of course they had no timetable for either. They could add FOX HD and I would be happy for a while. But I guess that depends alot on the local affiliate getting the proper equipment correct? My wife watches the OC and that's about the only thing she watches that I can stomach watching with her. She's still young so she watches all that mindless mtv garbage. Yay another crappy music video channel(ch.200). That's all I see for now. I'm in Manton, so I doubt I will ever fool with any OTA channels. I've talked to a couple people around here that do and it just doesn't sound worth it. I wouldn't mind ESPN2 for the sports and my wife watches alot of soccer games. Dogging charter is too easy! Yeah I've had my fair issues with tiling and signal problems. The charter tech around here never seems to get it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guffy1 View Post

Yep, just popped up on my Charter system yesterday, Channel 784, as noted above..

How nice of these idiots to let us all know!

I actually called Charter yesterday to give them my weekly harassing about their HD lineup, and they told me nothing would be added in the near future that they knew of!

Well, hats off the the worst public utility in the history of the United States, I guess!

Too bad I was already able to pick up this channel OTA with zero problems..

Now all they need is TNT and ESPN2 and Ill be all set...

Then maybe someday after that maybe ABC and FOX will begin transmitting HD around here? Maybe by 2010?

Charter has a long ways to go, LOL

P.S. It seems to me that some of the other HD channels are suffering now that they added the first new HD in about 2 years. Specifically HDNet and Showtime Ive noticed are having issues..

Hopefully this gets fixed in the next few years, lol!

post #71 of 1760 Old 09-15-2005, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywatts View Post

Yes, I too did my weekly harassing of Charter by asking about the newer Moxi boxes(BMC 9022 and Moxi Mate) and Video on Demand. Of course they had no timetable for either. They could add FOX HD and I would be happy for a while. But I guess that depends alot on the local affiliate getting the proper equipment correct? My wife watches the OC and that's about the only thing she watches that I can stomach watching with her. She's still young so she watches all that mindless mtv garbage. Yay another crappy music video channel(ch.200). That's all I see for now. I'm in Manton, so I doubt I will ever fool with any OTA channels. I've talked to a couple people around here that do and it just doesn't sound worth it. I wouldn't mind ESPN2 for the sports and my wife watches alot of soccer games. Dogging charter is too easy! Yeah I've had my fair issues with tiling and signal problems. The charter tech around here never seems to get it right.

Yeah, that was quite the Charter rant I had this morning

Seriously, they are the absolute worst around here for service..

Their quality of theor HD is generally very good though, way better than Directv, IMO..

As far as FOX goes you are right in saying that our local affiliate needs the proper equipment before Charter can send out a FOXHD signal for us..Rest assured when FOX does get it going (rumored to be sometime in 2007 last I heard), Charter wil ltake a good year to get it on their system..

I think we are honestly looking at 2008-2009 or so before we see any FOXHD around here!

ABC is the same story, the local affiliate does not transmit an HD signal either.

Id say they will end up coming around much sooner than FOX though..

As far as OTA goes, I think in your area all you would get is CBSHD..

Where I live I can get ABCDT (non HD) and NBCHD without a problem..

Im hoping that ABC goes HD sometime in 2006!
post #72 of 1760 Old 09-15-2005, 10:07 AM

Sheez, will I be in a funk when I move to the TC area early next year..... But then again, even though the Charter line runs in front of the house, they will not service us, so I guess it will be back to rabbit ears!!!!!
post #73 of 1760 Old 09-15-2005, 06:35 PM

Quote:

Sheez, will I be in a funk when I move to the TC area early next year..... But then again, even though the Charter line runs in front of the house, they will not service us, so I guess it will be back to rabbit ears!!!!!

That comment begs a comment on a comparison to living in Eastmanville but I'll resist the temptation since it is one of the few places in the state I haven't visited.
I get great reception on my Directv dish and the 3 local networks are pretty solid although ABC is lacking the HD. Your reception will depend on where you live since the topography varies greatly.

John
post #74 of 1760 Old 09-25-2005, 01:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Does WWTV-DT multicast?

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #75 of 1760 Old 09-26-2005, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Have any Charter subs out there noticed all the issues with WWTV-DT CBSHD recently?

Here in Traverse City, via Charter, I have been getting major macroblocking during transitions on all programming...

Its most noticeable during live sporting events, but it can also be easily seen on any scene transation from primetime programming such as CSI or Cold Case..

This has been going on for I would say a good 2 weeks now, pretty much ever since NBCHD was added to the Charter lineup...

I have called the engineer at WWTV and he seems quite certain there is not a problem on their end, amking me believe this is Charter issue..

Any other Charter subs see the issues?

Or how about any of you people that are getting WWTV OTA?

Do you see these problems?
post #76 of 1760 Old 09-27-2005, 02:16 PM

I am getting WWUP tv over the air and to answer the last couple of threads, no TV-9&10 is not multicasting (Thank God) and no I have not experienced any adverse reception issues. In fact let me applaud TV9&10 for first putting a business plan together, secondly for carrying it out without deceit, and third doing all of this with the time parameters of the original digital cut-over schedule. They are putting out high quality high definition television signal not multicasted, upconverted, or abnormally stretched. Further, they are doing this with other than low power transmitters. This experience is in direct opposition to other stations that deceitfully advertise their offerings as HDTV: digital maybe but high def - no way. So from my personal experience, I would look to Comcast first and not TV9&10.
post #77 of 1760 Old 10-03-2005, 07:21 AM

Nice to finally have it (Charter, channel 784) but the audio is terribly out of sync with the video. Anyone else experiencing this problem? Charter told me it was probably a problem with my box but it's the only channel this happens on. I've gotten no reply from channel 7-4.
post #78 of 1760 Old 10-05-2005, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwoodsguy View Post

Nice to finally have it (Charter, channel 784) but the audio is terribly out of sync with the video. Anyone else experiencing this problem? Charter told me it was probably a problem with my box but it's the only channel this happens on. I've gotten no reply from channel 7-4.

I have not experienced this problem with NBCHD 784 before at all..

I have noticed that all HD channels got alot softer PQ wise across the board after NBCHD 784 was added...
post #79 of 1760 Old 10-05-2005, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Last night (Tuesday) 7&4's audio was out of sync on the OTA HD channel between 9 and 11pm. First time I've seen that on there. REALLY annoying. I don't have Charter's service so i don't know if it was messed up on there as well.

"I've been ruminating. And by ruminating, I mean pondering. Not chewing my cud."
post #80 of 1760 Old 10-14-2005, 05:01 AM

Couple of days ago I was told by engineer at WPBN they are well aware of this sync problem and are working with the network trying to correct it. Said it may take awhile.
post #81 of 1760 Old 10-14-2005, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Wow, just found this site. really pleasantly surprised to find so many up here with HDTV. Unfortunately, I am located at the bottom of a hill just south of the Cherry Bend store, so I think OTA HD will be next to impossible (big hills to the south, southwest, and west). It seems my only choices are cable or some kind of dish. Dang. My new plasma is just begging to have an HD signal.
Would love to see some of the setups from some of you all.

Thanks.
Mike

"Common Practice Does Not Necessarily Mean Common Sense."
post #82 of 1760 Old 10-15-2005, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike52 View Post

Wow, just found this site. really pleasantly surprised to find so many up here with HDTV. Unfortunately, I am located at the bottom of a hill just south of the Cherry Bend store, so I think OTA HD will be next to impossible (big hills to the south, southwest, and west). It seems my only choices are cable or some kind of dish. Dang. My new plasma is just begging to have an HD signal.
Would love to see some of the setups from some of you all.

Thanks.
Mike

Charter Cable serves your area dosent it?

They offer a pretty small HD lineup, but the PQ is absoluely outstanding on most channels (ESPNHD, HBOHD, Showtime HD, DiscoveryHD, HD NET and HDNetMovies).

The PQ on CBSHD and NBCHD is questionable at best though, just so you know..

I get mass pixelation on CBS, so bad that live sporting events are totally unwatchable. Its been like this for well over a month now (ever since NBCHD was added).. I have had 5 or 6 service calls, and have called and complained about a couple dozen times, all to no avail..

NBC has a pretty good amount of pixelation too, and has intemittent audio sync issues.. (The pixelation isnt nearly as bad as CBS though)

I highly reccomend Charter for most of their HD though...

It blows the sattellite PQ away (both E* and D*) on the channels I mentioned..
post #83 of 1760 Old 10-16-2005, 05:48 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, I do get Charter. Am saving what I can from my pension to eventually get HD from them. However, you can't just get HD in addition to expanded basic. You first have to get (and pay the additional cost for) digital, and then get (and pay more for) HD. So they get you twice. Plus, had a tech out to the house and he told me that my cable wasn't grounded well enough for HD service, and would have to have them come out and install a new cable service for me. But they would only do this if I had an electrician there to properly ground it (more $$$). Not to mention that I would also probably have to rent their HD receiver, since my Plasma doesn't have one.

Should've worked longer and gotten a bigger pension.

post #84 of 1760 Old 10-16-2005, 07:48 AM

Quote:

Yes, I do get Charter. Am saving what I can from my pension to eventually get HD from them. However, you can't just get HD in addition to expanded basic. You first have to get (and pay the additional cost for) digital, and then get (and pay more for) HD. So they get you twice.

If all you want is the local HD channels and not the cable HD channels, there is not any add'l charge except for the converter box.

I am moving to TC this winter and even though the houses to the east of me have cable and a new subdivision will have cable, Charter refuses to run the drop any farther west of Lincoln Ave. (Oh for $11,000, they have no problem runnung the line farther west.)
post #85 of 1760 Old 10-16-2005, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

The Charter person I spoke with said that in order to get the local channels in HD, you had to subscribe to the HD tier AND be a Digital cable subscriber. I pointed out that on their channel listing on the Charter website, WWTV is described as "Hi-Def Lifeline", she said it didn't matter.

post #86 of 1760 Old 10-16-2005, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHuibregtse View Post

The Charter person I spoke with said that in order to get the local channels in HD, you had to subscribe to the HD tier AND be a Digital cable subscriber. I pointed out that on their channel listing on the Charter website, WWTV is described as "Hi-Def Lifeline", she said it didn't matter.

I would call again, Yes you have to get a digital box, but the local HD channels is a separate piece to the PAY HD channels such as Discovery, HDNET and such
post #87 of 1760 Old 10-17-2005, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHuibregtse View Post

You have to play CSR roulette (just keep calling till you get a CSR that will give you what you want)..

I currently pay for channel 2-13 + the HD pack+ the monthly cost of the HD box...

I dont subscribe to any digital package at all..

If you have cable internet via Charter you can get the channels 2-13 for only 3$ a month..
post #88 of 1760 Old 10-17-2005, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

I have the extended basic and went in today to talk to Charter. They told me it would cost me $6.95/mth to rent their HD receiver, AND $3.00/mth. to get the local HD channels (CBS and NBC). The additional HD channels (ESPNHD, etc.) would cost $6.99/mth. extra. Does anyone get the HD channels through Charter? How is the PQ and signal strength?

Thanks.
Mike

post #89 of 1760 Old 10-17-2005, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have the extended basic and went in today to talk to Charter. They told me it would cost me $6.95/mth to rent their HD receiver, AND $3.00/mth. to get the local HD channels (CBS and NBC). The additional HD channels (ESPNHD, etc.) would cost $6.99/mth. extra. Does anyone get the HD channels through Charter? How is the PQ and signal strength?

Thanks.
Mike

Read post #82 in this thread...
post #90 of 1760 Old 10-17-2005, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Ah yes. Thanks.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception