Forum Jump: 

Old 11-21-2008, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Did your CBS go HD on D* today?

It's time to give props to WLNS for the HD crawl generator!!!

Now we need WHTV to go HD and Lansing's CW to get a separate transmitter so it isn't a digital sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2008, 05:36 AM

Liked: 10
Not yet.....wonder what the delay is
Old 11-24-2008, 03:26 PM

heard the website for 7&4 has changed to upnorthlive.com since they have partnered with 29&8...does this mean they will broadcast news for 29&8 as well?
Old 11-24-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianomany2k View Post

heard the website for 7&4 has changed to upnorthlive.com since they have partnered with 29&8...does this mean they will broadcast news for 29&8 as well?

Probably. They've doing weather reports at 11pm on 29 with 7 staff. Now, if they can just lose the stretch-o-vision switch.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefbal99 View Post

Did your CBS go HD on D* today?

On Thanksgiving day (11/27) CBS was still not live in HD. I talked with Directv and was told that there was no plan to make it available. The indication was that they were unable to get an HD feed from them. I'll do some more research on this and report back.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:52 AM

Someone should point out to Directv that they are advertising that HD locals are available including CBS. Maybe those on Directv could get a credit of some sort.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:22 PM

The problem is not with DirecTV...it is with 9/10 which always makes it difficult with anything they negotiate. Maybe if they see their ratings begin to slip even more then they are, they will begin to realize it is in their best interest to keep as many viewers as possible.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:23 PM

My point is that Directv is advertising that CBS is available when it is not. Regardless of who's fault it is Directv is currently advertising that all locals are available in HD and they include CBS in the ad. That is not right and they should hear about it.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:17 AM

Anyone notice WLLZ is on both 202 & 72 on Charter?
Old 12-03-2008, 12:56 PM

Looks like CBS HD is now live on Directv.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Has anyone heard what's going on with WPBN and WGTU? After a week of 14x9 stretch on their news that looked considerably better than before, they've both gone way back the other way. At times the SD picture on channel 8 looks stretched, which doesn't make any sense. Tonight, 'Pushing Daisies' is in SD and stretched on Charter channel 788.

"I've been ruminating. And by ruminating, I mean pondering. Not chewing my cud."
Old 12-03-2008, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHuibregtse View Post

Has anyone heard what's going on with WPBN and WGTU? After a week of 14x9 stretch on their news that looked considerably better than before, they've both gone way back the other way. At times the SD picture on channel 8 looks stretched, which doesn't make any sense. Tonight, 'Pushing Daisies' is in SD and stretched on Charter channel 788.

Looks like WPBN has some SD stretch going on right now as well with the Rockefeller Christmas...
Old 12-04-2008, 05:12 AM

The Tonight Show also
Old 12-04-2008, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guffy1 View Post

Looks like WPBN has some SD stretch going on right now as well with the Rockefeller Christmas...

Reply from Mike Miller at 7&4.

There is no attempt to placate anyone going on, just good old equipment failure. The new improved HD receiver (one and only) that NBC sent last week has failed, and we are up-converting SD until we get this resolved, hopefully today.

Mike Miller
Old 12-04-2008, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Would that explain the goofiness on 29&8 as well? I hope so.

"I've been ruminating. And by ruminating, I mean pondering. Not chewing my cud."
Old 12-04-2008, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHuibregtse View Post

Would that explain the goofiness on 29&8 as well? I hope so.

I wouldnt think that would be the explanation for WGTU. What has happened with WPBN is that all NBC affiliates nationwide have transitioned over to an MPEG-4 distribution system. So NBC would have had to switch over their equipment for the new MPEG-4 distribution system, and as Mike said, the new and improved equipment they recieved was defective. I dont see how that would be affecting WGTU, but it seems WPBN has a good explantion as to their problems.

EDIT: I do always reserve the right to be wrong though It does seem like a pretty big coincidence that both channels would start showing SD stretch simutaneously. Maybe the new eqipment Mike spoke of is somehow tied into WGTU's distribution system a well.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:59 PM

This is from the 7&4 website. Four signals for each network. The complete article is at the link.

link to http://www.upnorthlive.com/news/story.aspx?id=233283

7 & 4 Chief Engineer Mike Miller says, "we have been TV 7 & 4 since 1954 we have had transmitters located in Cheboygan and another in Harrietta down in Wexford County." . . .

. . . In fact, the switch to digital could mean more viewers than ever are able to watch TV 7 & 4. You may have heard that 7 & 4 has entered into a operating agreement with ABC 29 & 8, and that means we will be sharing transmitters. Mike says "I mentioned the transmitters in Harrietta which is our channel 7, channel 29 has their transmitter in Kalkaska, channel 4 in Cheboygan and they have channel 8 in Goetville outside of Sault Ste. Marie." And each of those four locations will be soon be transmitting a digital signal from both NBC and ABC.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:47 PM

Uh oh, does this mean they'll be multicasting 29/8 off 7/4 towers and vice versa? It's too late to get the ok from the FCC to install two antennas and two transmitters at each location before next Feb. Sounds like they'll be doing what CBS/FOX is doing in Cadillac: 9-1 CBS (HD), 9-2 FOX (SD).

Will it look like this?
Harrietta: 7-1 NBC (HD), 7-2 ABC (SD)
Kalkaska: 29-1 ABC (HD), 29-2 NBC (SD)
Cheboygan: 4-1 NBC (HD), 4-2 ABC (SD)
Goetzville: 8-1 ABC (HD), 8-2 NBC (SD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVX_GEEK View Post

This is from the 7&4 website. Four signals for each network. The complete article is at the link.

link to http://www.upnorthlive.com/news/story.aspx?id=233283

7 & 4 Chief Engineer Mike Miller says, "we have been TV 7 & 4 since 1954 we have had transmitters located in Cheboygan and another in Harrietta down in Wexford County." . . .

. . . In fact, the switch to digital could mean more viewers than ever are able to watch TV 7 & 4. You may have heard that 7 & 4 has entered into a operating agreement with ABC 29 & 8, and that means we will be sharing transmitters. Mike says "I mentioned the transmitters in Harrietta which is our channel 7, channel 29 has their transmitter in Kalkaska, channel 4 in Cheboygan and they have channel 8 in Goetville outside of Sault Ste. Marie." And each of those four locations will be soon be transmitting a digital signal from both NBC and ABC.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:17 PM

Although the article did not provide those details, that is how I assumed they would do it.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:45 AM

Did they take Channel 50 in Traverse City off the air when they put up 29-2 this week? I have been unable to get them since about Tuesday. All my other channels are at normal strength.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:50 PM

Still there for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyLCD View Post

Did they take Channel 50 in Traverse City off the air when they put up 29-2 this week? I have been unable to get them since about Tuesday. All my other channels are at normal strength.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:25 AM

if they put ABC on 4-2, I'm all for it. Can't pick up 8 on digital as it is right now.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Great News you already read about... This will help those in the Eastern U.P. and tip of the mitt with WTOM issues, for sure.

http://www.upnorthlive.com/news/news...aspx?id=233283

I also read that WWUP is going to simulcast FOX on digital 10.2 (remember the digital TV station is cutting over to RF channel 10 in Feb. from the current channel 49.) This means... MORE FOX in northern Michigan!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WFQX-TV

Needless to say, I'm thrilled!
Old 12-22-2008, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianomany2k View Post

if they put ABC on 4-2, I'm all for it. Can't pick up 8 on digital as it is right now.

Looks like they are moving back to ch. 8 RF and jacking up their power... they are at 1.9 kW on RF 9 right now.
WGTQ MI SAULT STE. MARIE USA (Digital)

Licensee: TUCKER BROADCASTING OF TRAVERSE CITY, INC.
Service Designation: DT Digital television station

Channel: 8 180 - 186 MHz Modification of Construction Permit
File No.: BMPCDT-20080619AJZ Facility ID number: 59279
CDBS Application ID No.: 1251096

46° 03' 8.00 " N Latitude Site in Canadian Border Zone
84° 06' 38.00" W Longitude (NAD 27)

Polarization: Horizontal (H)
Effective Radiated Power (ERP): 15. kW ERP
Antenna Height Above Average Terrain: 288. meters HAAT -- Calculate HAAT
Antenna Height Above Mean Sea Level: 483. meters AMSL
Antenna Height Above Ground Level: 249.9 meters AGL
Old 12-23-2008, 11:13 AM

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...-08-2775A1.doc

"While there is a theoretical loss to approximately 15,000 persons who currently receive service from WFQX-DT (but not WFQX-TV), CTC submits the declaration of the station's Chief Engineer, stating that our experience from the existing operation of channel 47 in those areas has led us to realize that there is very little actual off the air DTV viewing of channel 47 at this time, and therefore there will be very little loss of actual viewing of that channel."

As one of the "very" few who watch 47, because analog 33 (and 45) are real snowy, here's hoping I can get 32 in Cadillac or 45 in Vanderbilt when they get that built.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:49 PM

I just recently switched over to Dish network. I have a Toshiba 1080p LCD. I was told by the customer representative as well as his supervisor, that local channels were CURRENTLY available on Dish. Fast forward to now and I still do not get my local channels in HD. I have the HD DVR as well as the HD box in my bedroom. I get all the national HD channels fine but I want my locals in HD. Anyway to get this with Dish Network? Or when they do the switch in February will that make the locals come in HD?

This is a great website that I used to get my tv colors set, but Im notexactly technical savvy thanks in advance
Old 12-23-2008, 05:29 PM

The February transition has no effect on your locals with Dish. They are adding HD locals at a slow rate and will just have to wait for them to finally get to our market. DirecTV just got our HD locals in November.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:54 PM

The FCC posted coverage maps for each market area today. The Traverse City market maps are here:
http://www.fcc.gov/dtv/markets/maps_...adillac_MI.pdf
Old 12-23-2008, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If there are any WWE fans in the Traverse City-Cadillac, MI area and watched WWE Tribute To The Troops 2008 show this past weekend. At least TV 7 & 4 kept the NBC HD feed not switching to the NBC SD feed like what happened with WWE Saturday Nights Main Event from this past August.

If anybody watches 9 and 10 News on Charter channel 780 and notice that the audio is in Dolby Digital 2.0 (for both news shows, syndicated show, paid programming and all shows from CBS). For quite some time they were broadcasting in both Dolby Digital 5.1 and Dolby Pro Logic. Has anybody contacted 9 and 10 News to ask them why the shows from CBS aren't in Dolby Digital 5.1?

Jed "Freddy" Raybould
Old 12-23-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedFRaybould View Post

Has anybody contacted 9 and 10 News to ask them why the shows from CBS aren't in Dolby Digital 5.1?

I asked this of Lowell Shore, Chief Engineer at 9 & 10, earlier this year. His reply was that there were no immediate plans to do a Dolby 5.1 built out. Maybe after the dust settles from the transition and they move Fox from Kalkaska to Cadillac and get Vanderbilt converted. I'm not holding my breath for 5.1 any time soon.