Traverse City, MI - HDTV - Page 35 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-26-2008, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Couple questions with someone new, so please be patience if I am asking questions that have already been answered.

A little while back I emailed TV7&4 about their digital signal, since I wasn't able to get it. I can get 9 and 13 (Grand Rapids) digitialy. In part of the email it stated this

"Digital Channel 7 (UHF Channel 50) located in Grand Traverse County just west of Traverse City. This transmitter has been operating in digital for the past 3+ years. We have petitioned the FCC to move this transmitter to Harrietta in Wexford Count to better serve the southern half of our viewing area. This is still in progress, and we do not have a firm date as to when this will be allowed to happen. We are optimistic that this will be resolved before February 2009. There are three programs currently available on this transmitter:"

Does anyone know for sure if this has been approved? Also, if they make the move and if I can get 9 should I be able to get 7?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2008, 06:01 PM

Liked: 11
Welcome to the forum. AFAIK, WPBN is still waiting for official blessing from the FCC to use the Harrietta location for DTV. WOOD in GR has an informal complaint filed saying if WPBN was broadcasting from Harrietta if would interfere with them. If you can receive WPBN 7 (analog) now, you should be able to get them next year as analog operations are currently in Harrietta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cire2282 View Post

Couple questions with someone new, so please be patience if I am asking questions that have already been answered.

A little while back I emailed TV7&4 about their digital signal, since I wasn't able to get it. I can get 9 and 13 (Grand Rapids) digitialy. In part of the email it stated this

"Digital Channel 7 (UHF Channel 50) located in Grand Traverse County just west of Traverse City. This transmitter has been operating in digital for the past 3+ years. We have petitioned the FCC to move this transmitter to Harrietta in Wexford Count to better serve the southern half of our viewing area. This is still in progress, and we do not have a firm date as to when this will be allowed to happen. We are optimistic that this will be resolved before February 2009. There are three programs currently available on this transmitter:"

Does anyone know for sure if this has been approved? Also, if they make the move and if I can get 9 should I be able to get 7?

Old 12-26-2008, 07:31 PM

Seeing as the main channels I am looking pick up are 7,9,13. I want a VHF antenna correct? Does anyone have experience putting an outdoor antenna inside? I rent and don't have permission to put one on the roof.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cire2282 View Post

Seeing as the main channels I am looking pick up are 7,9,13. I want a VHF antenna correct? Does anyone have experience putting an outdoor antenna inside? I rent and don't have permission to put one on the roof.

Yes you'll need a VHF antenna, but look for a VHF-Hi antenna to reduce the size. These will be cut for channels 7 through 13. I have a Winegard YA-1713 and while it's only 3' wide, it's still 100" long. VHF antennas by design have longer elements than UHF. While those cut for VHF-Hi have shorter elements than VHF-Lo (2-6), they still take up space. An outside location will be the best. I've used an old windmill stand staked to the ground with a few lengths of mast as a temporary stand out in the yard.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:31 AM

Okay another question, (thank you for the replies so far), looking at the site tvfool.com you get a real and virtual channel. I go by the real channel in deciding if I need an UHF or VHF channel? Example, tvfool.com lists 9.1 as the virtual channel and 40 as the real channel. So even after Feb 17th, I will need a UHF to pick it up?

EDIT

I just clicked post transition and it looks 7, 9, and 13 are going to be the same real as virtual. From what people are hearing is this true?
Old 12-31-2008, 08:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
It is 100% true. The stations (for the most part) have permits to operate on their VHF channels as of 02/17/09.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Old 01-02-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiat View Post

Adios Weather plus...
Check this out:
http://www.tvweek.com/news/2008/10/n...ather_plus.php

I see weather plus (WPBN channel 7-3) is dark this am with only a small logo in the corner. I did not check but it probably happened over the new year. Will we see 29 added there now or maybe something else?
Old 01-02-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Nope, expect to find Universal Sports replacing Weather Plus on most all NBC affiliates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVX_GEEK View Post

I see weather plus (WPBN channel 7-3) is dark this am with only a small logo in the corner. I did not check but it probably happened over the new year. Will we see 29 added there now or maybe something else?

See post #959 above. My guess is ABC will be on 7-2 after the transition next month when they broadcast from Harrietta.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:48 AM

That makes sense, for sure based on their recent HD transition report. I guess I expected that Universal Sports might have been a direct replacement without the service interruption. :-)
Old 01-02-2009, 10:42 AM

I think Weather Plus ceased Broadcasting on the first as NBC Universal purchased The Weather Channel
Old 01-02-2009, 04:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

So are both subchannels (7-2 and 7-3) blank now or have one or both been deleted?

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

Old 01-02-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

So are both subchannels (7-2 and 7-3) blank now or have one or both been deleted?

- Trip

They're there, but blank.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Im picking up TBS HD via my QAM tuner on 114-1. Wasnt even aware that Charter offered TBSHD? Have they added some new HD channels to their lineup recently?
Old 01-05-2009, 11:33 AM

Looks like WPBN isn't confident the FCC will resolve WOOD's complaint regarding overlapping coverage by next month. They are requesting STA's to broadcast at 0.5 kW (instead of 15.4 kW) on channel 7 from Harrietta and continue broadcasting at 78 kW on channel 50 from TC.

http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws....&fac_num=21253

http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws....&fac_num=21253

If this goes through, WPBN-DT will be on 7, 29 and 50. 500 Watts and they can get a signal up to Leelanau county from southern Wexford? Very interesting...
Old 01-05-2009, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesickstan View Post

Welcome to the forum. AFAIK, WPBN is still waiting for official blessing from the FCC to use the Harrietta location for DTV. WOOD in GR has an informal complaint filed saying if WPBN was broadcasting from Harrietta if would interfere with them. If you can receive WPBN 7 (analog) now, you should be able to get them next year as analog operations are currently in Harrietta.

Comical, in a cynical way. WOOD is the odd man out. They chose DT 7 despite Chicago and Cadillac/Traverse City on the same channel. Maybe WOOD should just flash cut to 8. Otherwise, is 12 an option for WPBN? Isn't this a little late in the game to be changing transmitter sites and channels, too?
Old 01-05-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:

Comical, in a cynical way. WOOD is the odd man out. They chose DT 7 despite Chicago and Cadillac/Traverse City on the same channel. Maybe WOOD should just flash cut to 8. Otherwise, is 12 an option for WPBN?

12 is low power WLLZ out of Cedar. I haven't heard their plans for conversion.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

WOOD can't go to 8 because WWMT-DT in Kalamazoo will be on 8.

WPBN's best bet for staying on VHF would be to try and co-locate with WWTV and operate on channel 10. That they could get away with. Channel 12 would probably not work from their current tower due to WZZM-DT 13 and WJRT-DT 12.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

Old 01-05-2009, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

WOOD can't go to 8 because WWMT-DT in Kalamazoo will be on 8.

WPBN's best bet for staying on VHF would be to try and co-locate with WWTV and operate on channel 10. That they could get away with. Channel 12 would probably not work from their current tower due to WZZM-DT 13 and WJRT-DT 12.

- Trip

Well, looks like WPBN-DT on RF 7 isn't going to happen then, even with a directional antenna. They are just too close, especially at VHF. It looks like they'll have to find a good UHF channel for Harietta. There's probably too much path loss at 50 compared to a lower channel like 19. Good thing they merged with WGTU and will be sharing facilities or they'd have some angry viewers.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:17 PM

I just rescanned my Tivo HD and I now get 769-CNN HD, 768-TBS HD, 766-Smithsonian HD, doesnt look official yet cause it doesnt list the name on the banner, TBS HD will be nice.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:22 PM

I will be pleased if WPBN continues on ch 50, especially if they add ABC on 7-2. I'm in an apartment in Traverse City with an indoor antenna. WPBN is my strongest signal. I get the other signals from Kalkaska (analog 29, digital "27" on 17 and digital "33" on 47), but lately digital "29" on 31 has been pretty marginal with lots of dropouts.

The 7 and 9 vhf analog signals from Cadillac are very poor and I can't get 40 digital at all. I don't think there's much chance I could get the 7 or 9 digital signals from their planned locations. If 33 leaves Kalkaska, I've probably lost Fox as well. But then I've already lost Fox once previously -- I lost Fox analog when they shut down 54 in TC.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:21 PM

ABC is now on 7-2 as of this afternoon...and there appears to be no signal on 7-3. The people putting out those program guides are going to have a real problem for the next month!
Old 01-05-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denhow View Post

I will be pleased if WPBN continues on ch 50, especially if they add ABC on 7-2. I'm in an apartment in Traverse City with an indoor antenna. WPBN is my strongest signal. I get the other signals from Kalkaska (analog 29, digital "27" on 17 and digital "33" on 47), but lately digital "29" on 31 has been pretty marginal with lots of dropouts.

The 7 and 9 vhf analog signals from Cadillac are very poor and I can't get 40 digital at all. I don't think there's much chance I could get the 7 or 9 digital signals from their planned locations. If 33 leaves Kalkaska, I've probably lost Fox as well. But then I've already lost Fox once previously -- I lost Fox analog when they shut down 54 in TC.

Ask and you shall receive. 7-2 is broadcasting ABC (29). How well do you receive 45 analog (FOX)? That will be digital at some point.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:59 PM

Wow, yes, there it is, ABC on 7-2. About ch 45 -- no, I don't get anything at all. Of course I have a strong analog signal on 46 from the WCMU translator in TC.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:17 PM

This "new" UHF channel 50 might bode well for me since I am in Boyne City and would be right on the edge of the coverage area. I can't help but wonder what the possibility would be of broadcasting this channel from a tower at ABC's DT location near Kalkaska? It seems like this could be less costly since there is already a company owned ABC tower there. I am sure they have explored this option but it would definitely help the 'in between' viewers of VHF 4 and 7.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:59 PM

I asked Rick Schudiske of CMU Public Broadcasting, when WCMV will begin broadcasting PBS shows in HD. Here's his reply:

We are in the process of building out our Master Control room... this is the last phase in our total conversion to digital television. I do not have an exact date yet but I would think by the beginning of summer at the latest we will be able to transmit HD.
Regards,
Rick Schudiske
Director Of Television
CMU Public Broadcasting
Old 01-10-2009, 06:02 AM

Thanks for the info Mesickstan, they are really beginning to stand out as the only local with no HD as you scan through the stations.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Who in the NLP can receive both WCML-DT and WCMV-DT? It looks like there is significant overlap in coverage. just curious...
Old 01-12-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:

Who in the NLP can receive both WCML-DT and WCMV-DT? It looks like there is significant overlap in coverage. just curious...

If I'm at the dining room table (with the laptop and TV Antenna), I can pick up both stations.

And on a really good day, in the same part of the house, I can barely pick up WWTV-DT...but not WWUP-DT.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:13 AM

You are in Cheboygan and get WWTV-DT but not WWUP-DT? Are you sure it isn't the other way around?
Old 01-13-2009, 04:50 PM

100% positive. Only when I'm in the dining room though, and it's a very weak signal.