Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiat View Post

Channel Master 7777

solidsignal.com

That would be my choice, too.

aeblank,
I have a spare CM 7777 preamp if your brother would like to "try before he buys." PM me, if interested.
post #1443 of 1760 Old 09-18-2009, 05:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Liked: 10
He already has it on order. Thanks though.
post #1444 of 1760 Old 09-20-2009, 08:44 AM

Why can I get fox but not cbs on my set top antenna?
post #1445 of 1760 Old 09-20-2009, 02:21 PM

My intial guess without more information is that you are using a UHF antenna and getting 32.1 FOX. To get CBS 9.1, you would need a VHF antenna. You will want to go to www.tvfool.com and go to the TV Signal Locator to get a better idea of what tv channels you might be able to get and what type of antenna you might need. If you post the results, we could provide feedback. I also could be wrong and you might be getting 9.2 FOX and not 9.1 CBS.
post #1446 of 1760 Old 09-20-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shades9323 View Post

Why can I get fox but not cbs on my set top antenna?

Yeah, we need more info. FOX is on 9.2, 10.2, 32.1 & 45.1. CBS is on 9.1, 10.1 & 45.2
post #1447 of 1760 Old 09-22-2009, 01:36 PM

I was getting fox on 32.1. Using and amplified vhf/uhf set top antenna. Is was below ground by a couple of feet. I have a tri-level, and I put the antenna 1 level up(approx 6ft above ground level). I can now get cbs 9.1(hd) and fox 9.2(sd). I need to get a roof top to clean it up a little.
post #1448 of 1760 Old 09-28-2009, 05:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesickstan View Post

That would be my choice, too.

aeblank,
I have a spare CM 7777 preamp if your brother would like to "try before he buys." PM me, if interested.

Total bust. He got 9.1, 9.2, 32.1 unamplified.
Same channels with the 7777.

I don't get it.
post #1449 of 1760 Old 09-28-2009, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post

I don't get it.

What about 17 & 29 out of Kalkaska?
post #1450 of 1760 Old 09-28-2009, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

nope. He pointed it in that direction, too (mostly north, tiniest bit east).
He's no farther away than I am. No real obstacles between. He's like 8 miles west of me, that's the only difference.
post #1451 of 1760 Old 09-28-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:

He's no farther away than I am. No real obstacles between. He's like 8 miles west of me, that's the only difference.

Which antenna did he get, again? Is it in the attic or on the roof? How high?
post #1452 of 1760 Old 09-29-2009, 05:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Which antenna did he get, again? Is it in the attic or on the roof? How high?

This antenna:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103088

It's mounted probably a dozen feet above the peak of the roof. 30' or 35' off the ground, I'm guestimating.
post #1453 of 1760 Old 09-29-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:

This antenna:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103088

It's mounted probably a dozen feet above the peak of the roof. 30' or 35' off the ground, I'm guestimating.

Some things to try:

1. Check TVFool.com for his exact location to get compass directions for TV towers.

2. Aim the antenna at that compass heading, check signal strength.
Move antenna left or right a degree or two and compare signal strength.
As some stations are not line of sight to your location, you get better reception with the antenna not pointing directly at the tower.
Keep moving the antenna until the signal drops off then try the other direction until signal drops. Somewhere in between will be your "sweet spot."

3. Move the antenna down on the mast, if possible. Sometimes pointing under the trees is be better that aiming through them.

4. Tilt end of the antenna aimed at the tower up a bit, if possible. The horizon might not be horizontal at his location.

5. Remove splitters, combiners, other antennas, etc. and use a single run of decent coax to the TV/converter to start.

6. Might need a bigger antenna.
post #1454 of 1760 Old 09-29-2009, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The most obvious thing about this antenna is that it is UHF-only, and its feed elements are far too short for VHF, so he would have to be within about 8 miles of WWTV to get them.
post #1455 of 1760 Old 09-29-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:

I don't get it.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsthemultipath! View Post

The most obvious thing about this antenna is that it is UHF-only, and its feed elements are far too short for VHF, so he would have to be within about 8 miles of WWTV to get them.

From the above, I gathered he could get 9 & 32, but not 17 & 29 out of Kalkaska. Then again, I've been wrong once or twice before.
post #1456 of 1760 Old 09-29-2009, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

From the above, I gathered he could get 9 & 32, but not 17 & 29 out of Kalkaska. Then again, I've been wrong once or twice before.

True. With or without the amp, even.
post #1457 of 1760 Old 09-29-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:

True. With or without the amp, even.

From what I've read, a preamplifier isn't going to get you channels you aren't getting without the preamp, already.
Here's one source: http://www.doityourself.com/stry/tvanten

Q: Should I get a preamp for my antenna?

A: It probably wouldn't hurt, and it may help. If you live fairly close to the local television transmitters, then an amplifier probably isn't needed. However, if you split your signal several times, the signal loss starts to be a problem. If you have two VCRs, three TVs and an FM receiver all connected to one antenna, a preamp is really a good idea. An unusually long downlead, greater than 50 feet, may benefit from a preamp also. If your reception is marginal then a preamp is probably a good idea. Just remember, a good preamp is not a substitute for a good antenna. Sometimes, a preamplifier does more harm than good. It is possible for the preamplifier to saturate on a strong signal and produce intermodulation products that degrade reception on adjacent channels. So if you get good strong signals without a preamp, then leave well enough alone.

Is he getting any kind of signal from Kalkaska?
post #1458 of 1760 Old 09-29-2009, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I believe that he was, but it was way down in the red (Zenith DTT901 box).
post #1459 of 1760 Old 09-29-2009, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

From what I've read, a preamplifier isn't going to get you channels you aren't getting without the preamp, already.
Here's one source: http://www.doityourself.com/stry/tvanten

Q: Should I get a preamp for my antenna?

A: It probably wouldn't hurt, and it may help. If you live fairly close to the local television transmitters, then an amplifier probably isn't needed. However, if you split your signal several times, the signal loss starts to be a problem. If you have two VCRs, three TVs and an FM receiver all connected to one antenna, a preamp is really a good idea. An unusually long downlead, greater than 50 feet, may benefit from a preamp also. If your reception is marginal then a preamp is probably a good idea. Just remember, a good preamp is not a substitute for a good antenna. Sometimes, a preamplifier does more harm than good. It is possible for the preamplifier to saturate on a strong signal and produce intermodulation products that degrade reception on adjacent channels. So if you get good strong signals without a preamp, then leave well enough alone.

How do you get that understanding from the passage? I think you are mistaken. A preamp won't always help, but it may. A preamp will bring up both the signal level and noise floor. In order to decode the digital signal you need a sufficient signal to noise ratio. However, there is a minimum dBm receiver sensitivity and you must have a recived signal level greater than that before that signal-to-noise ratio even matters. If you are below the sensitivity of the receiver you won't get squat.

If the preamp brings your received signal level above the minimum sensitivity of the receiver, it's a good idea. However, if you're right next to the transmitter, a preamp will overload your receiver. Yes, you can have too high of a signal level.

One important point though, the antenna is probably the most important part of your receiving system. If it is a P.O.S. then any preamp won't help.
post #1460 of 1760 Old 09-30-2009, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiat View Post

How do you get that understanding from the passage? I think you are mistaken. A preamp won't always help, but it may. A preamp will bring up both the signal level and noise floor. In order to decode the digital signal you need a sufficient signal to noise ratio. However, there is a minimum dBm receiver sensitivity and you must have a recived signal level greater than that before that signal-to-noise ratio even matters. If you are below the sensitivity of the receiver you won't get squat.

If the preamp brings your received signal level above the minimum sensitivity of the receiver, it's a good idea. However, if you're right next to the transmitter, a preamp will overload your receiver. Yes, you can have too high of a signal level.

One important point though, the antenna is probably the most important part of your receiving system. If it is a P.O.S. then any preamp won't help.

There you go confusing me with the facts and science. I was generalizing based on my limited experience. You'd think I'd know better. I experimented with different antennas and a couple different preamps. With a crappy (technical term) antenna and no preamp, a signal below the receiver's sensitivity was still too weak to receive with the preamp connected. With a good antenna (one that "worked") and no preamp, where all channels had sufficient signal for the receiver to, uh, receive, adding a preamp didn't matter. Now, once I added a long cable run, distribution box, splitters and more coax, then the preamp did a great job to maintain that signal out to the receivers.

Let's try this one: https://www.tselectronic.com/tech_no...210b2ee3af1f5d

Is an antenna preamplifier required?

This is the first question asked when considering the addition of a preamplifier to the antenna system. A preamplifier can provide considerable improvement where there is excessive distance between the antenna and the home/media distribution panel. Often people will refer to preamplifiers as boosters and while the preamplifier does increase signal levels beyond the antenna, it does not improve the quality of the HDTV signal received from the antenna. The function of the preamplifier is to maintain the signal quality at the output of the antenna to the media/distribution panel. Therefore the purpose of the preamplifier is to overcome cable system losses by increasing signal levels.

post #1461 of 1760 Old 09-30-2009, 02:37 PM

I am experiencing no audio on channel 6.1, PBS Alpena, and I'm wondering if this is universal with Central Michigan PBS or specific to the transmitter site? Does anyone know when the audio is expected to be fixed?
post #1462 of 1760 Old 09-30-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre5697 View Post

I am experiencing no audio on channel 6.1, PBS Alpena, and I'm wondering if this is universal with Central Michigan PBS or specific to the transmitter site? Does anyone know when the audio is expected to be fixed?

27.1 has the same problem with certain receivers. Shoot this guy a message at CMU:

Darel Vanderhoof

Maintenance Supervisor

CMU Public Broadcasting

vande1dd@cmich.edu
post #1463 of 1760 Old 10-02-2009, 01:28 PM

I have the same problem of no audio on 27.1 (except during the Ken Burns National Park special last night) so I shot Darel at CMU an e-mail. Here is his response:

On 27-1 there are three audio services to choose from. During Ken Burns, there was audio on all three. The rest of the time, when the picture has blue pillar bars, there is only audio on one of the three audio services. Usually there is an audio button or SAP button on your remote control for your ATSC converter box or your ATSC tuner or ATSC TV. Sometimes a Universal remote control does not have all the buttons your original remote control had, if you can't find the audio selector button.

Darel

I have an OTA module in a dishnetwork receiver and can't find any way to change the audio services. I did shoot him another e-mail back asking why this is only a problem in PBS and not on CBS, NBC, ABC or FOX.

Hope this helps somebody out there.

Steve
post #1464 of 1760 Old 10-02-2009, 01:47 PM

I just received the following from Darel. He is very quick in responding to questions. There is hope yet!!!

Steve,

You might get a better result after we get some new software installed on our PSIP generator. I will let you know when that is in place, hopefully by late next week. It will let me identify each audio channel with a different language description, right now they all say English. Maybe this is confusing your system, I know it would make some older receivers default to the SAP channel audio.

Regards,

Darel
post #1465 of 1760 Old 10-06-2009, 05:19 PM

From WPBN regarding the Harrietta transmitter.

"It looks like we may go to a CH.50 around the middle to late November so maybe that will help when we get farther away from CH.9 in frequency and the interference from WOOD being on CH.7"

It would be nice to get NBC digitally and then get a regular ABC digital signal.
post #1466 of 1760 Old 10-08-2009, 10:24 AM

WPBN just got approval to use 47 in Kalkaska. 500 kW of HD programming. Hopefully at 1080i instead of multicasting two channels at 720p, like they're doing now with 7, 50, 29 etc.
post #1467 of 1760 Old 10-08-2009, 03:44 PM

I bought some double bow tie antennas over Ebay. Not sure the manufactuer, but they are working very good. I am getting 9, 21, and 32, all with solid signals. I do have it hooked up to a 10 db RCA amplifier. This is my TVFool results. http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...befb050d48167b
post #1468 of 1760 Old 10-19-2009, 07:42 AM

Here are my results from TV Fool - http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...507c1034cf341c

I've read the HDTV primer that talks about modifying antennas but I'm not sure where I'd find the parts. Anything out there that you can recommend to pull in channels that are in opposite directions?
post #1469 of 1760 Old 10-19-2009, 03:31 PM

What was up with 45.1 on Sunday showing the Lions game in letterboxed SD? Looked like absolute crap. 45.2 had the Vikings game on in HD of course. Fox on Dish Network in SD looked miles better than the 45.1 picture.
post #1470 of 1760 Old 10-19-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightc2 View Post

What was up with 45.1 on Sunday showing the Lions game in letterboxed SD? Looked like absolute crap. 45.2 had the Vikings game on in HD of course. Fox on Dish Network in SD looked miles better than the 45.1 picture.

FOX is only HD on 32-1 off the M-115/Dighton tower. Hopefully, once 9 has a translator station in TC, they'll have FOX in HD on 45.1.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page